Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It was entirely about you. I came here to complain that you weren't taking the advise that would most likely get a favorable result. As we said in that thread, negotiations are better than court. They are asking you for supporting documents, to which you seemed to day, no, see you in court.

What should she have given them? No one in that thread advised me to negotiate, which is why I was confused in this thread when it came up.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Here's your advice: hire a lawyer. The stakes are too high, and your situation is too complicated for me to wager that you would be successful pro se.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

Here's your advice: hire a lawyer. The stakes are too high, and your situation is too complicated for me to wager that you would be successful pro se.

Or, hear me out here, go to law school and become a lawyer

You have the arguing chops for it

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

What should she have given them? No one in that thread advised me to negotiate, which is why I was confused in this thread when it came up.

Now that is getting too close to specific legal advice for me. Lawyers usually negotiate first. Much cheaper than court.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's completely unreasonable for someone to think that they should talk to the other parties without receiving specific advice to talk to them

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

it's completely unreasonable for someone to think that they should talk to the other parties without receiving specific advice to talk to them

excuse me, I think you'll find it's ALREADY too late to do something as pedestrian as communicating

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
gently caress them. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. Scorched earth. There is no mercy in this dojo.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

SlyFrog posted:

gently caress them. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. Scorched earth. There is no mercy in this dojo.

There is no virtue to a proportional response *nods sagely*

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I though "what you say to the other party" is actually a thing that people are supposed to be careful about? Is it not? I dunno, IANAL. Those stupid not-lawyers failing to follow advice no one gave!

SlyFrog posted:

This guy gets it.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nevvy Z posted:

I though "what you say to the other party" is actually a thing that people are supposed to be careful about? Is it not? I dunno, IANAL. Those stupid not-lawyers failing to follow advice no one gave!

This guy gets it.

it is very important to never tell the truth to your enemies

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mastershakeman posted:

it is very important to never tell the truth to your enemies

Cloak and dagger pre-suit negotiations when you aren't at risk of being sued yourself drive me crazy. You think that poo poo isn't coming out at trial if you want to make your full argument? If facts are truly on your side, don't hide them.

And if something really might be better left undisclosed, that's a call for a lawyer to make, at which point the answer returns to "Hire a lawyer."

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Nevvy Z posted:

Wait, aren’t you an ALJ? :confused:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toona the Cat posted:

Wait, aren’t you an ALJ? :confused:

Not the same title, but basically.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh my goodness

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

This just got good.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Holy poo poo

Uh this guy also says he went to law school. Were you just trolling us in legal advice?

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 24, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
An administrative law judge? Why don't you administer some justice on their asses?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Holy poo poo

Uh this guy also says he went to law school. Were you just trolling us in legal advice?

gently caress, bamboozled again

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Holy poo poo

No, I don't pretend to be a lawyer.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

An administrative law judge? Why don't you administer some justice on their asses?

Jurisdiction is super limited or I would.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not fit to sit for the bar but the State still lets me rule over procedural law hearings. :getin:

tell us more about your character and fitness

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

tell us more about your character and fitness

I missed the C&F meeting, missed renewing my registration (my first car) the summer prior, and failed to report the resulting ticket to C&F. Also the job I had been working until school started had said I was fired when I quit. C&F didn't want me missing any deadlines for clients, near as I can tell.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 24, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You should be able to determine this poo poo yourself. Why are you asking questions in legal advice?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nevvy Z posted:

I missed the C&F meeting, missed renewing my registration (my first car) the summer prior, and failed to report the resulting ticket to C&F. Also the job I had been working until school started had said I was fired when I quit. C&F didn't want me missing any deadlines for clients, near as I can tell.

you're gonna get dismissed for want of prosecution and show up 4 hours later really angry arent you

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Don't you have some friends you could entice with favorable judgements for free legal advice?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

you're gonna get dismissed for want of prosecution and show up 4 hours later really angry arent you

Better yet he is just gonna miss the statute of limitations entirely and then show up angry.

Just sit in the school registrar's office man, goddamn.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This escalated quickly.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's ya boy, Nevvy Z, aka the sovereign citizen, aka character and finesse, aka the hearing officer who will get you off, aka P Barnes, aka the DEADLINE, aka DON'T TALK TO OPPOSING PARTIES (I don't know you Im just sitting here filing out my case info sheet with a crayon), and if you see me in Kroger, opening all the Oreo boxes looking for 5 college credits, respect my agency and approach me like an ursine mammal, aka Nevvy gonna pass the bar.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nevvy Z posted:

Holy poo poo this was enough to get denied on character and fitness?

Edit: nm lol I misread the part where he missed the meeting

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

EwokEntourage posted:

Holy poo poo this was enough to get denied on character and fitness?

Edit: nm lol I misread the part where he missed the meeting

You would be amazed what C&F will use as ammo.

There was an infamous case of a girl who got an underaged drinking ticket, who happened to be working at a bar when she applied. She was denied on the basis that she was a presumed alcoholic.

My wife's application was delayed 6 months because she had been terminated from McDonald's when she was 14, and failed to mark on the application that she had been dismissed from any professional jobs. She had disclosed the firing under a different section, and figured McDonald's Cashier wasn't a suit and tie profession. It was grimace inducing. Tragicomically, she'd been fired for following actual McDonald's procedure and pissing off the manager. It's ok, only costs us a couple thousand in lost wages now, no big deal.

You can be the world's worst human once you're in the bar, but woe betide you if you don't declare every tiny thing you've done since you were born.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Fortunately my minor-in-possession was no big deal to C&F.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Ironically, I'm now in the position where I'm being encouraged to make something up, because I've got nothing to declare - no parking tickets, speeding fines, arrests, disciplinary matters from uni, nothing. Apparently it looks really suspicious if you declare absolutely nothing, so a few people are advising that I make up something minor that couldn't be checked up (e.g. dismissed ticket for travelling without a concession card).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I disclosed the time I got arrested in my underwear even though there was no record of it and no charges were ever filed and they let me in.

God Bless Texas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I disclosed a dismissed running a stop sign charge AND had to get all the court paperwork for it.
I think it was because it was called a "petty misdemeanor," and California didn't understand that was an infraction or something. Or maybe I decided to over disclose.
I'm also insanely lucky that a dismissed stop sign ticket was the only thing I was caught for before the bar. Plus it got dumped because while judges hate lawyers, they love the gently caress out of law students.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
That sounds like some crazy poo poo. I don’t know anyone that had any c&f issues, and I definitely did not disclose any traffic tickets I ever got

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's ya boy, Nevvy Z, aka the sovereign citizen, aka character and finesse, aka the hearing officer who will get you off, aka P Barnes, aka the DEADLINE, aka DON'T TALK TO OPPOSING PARTIES (I don't know you Im just sitting here filing out my case info sheet with a crayon), and if you see me in Kroger, opening all the Oreo boxes looking for 5 college credits, respect my agency and approach me like an ursine mammal, aka Nevvy gonna pass the bar.

Haduken

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Whitlam posted:

Ironically, I'm now in the position where I'm being encouraged to make something up, because I've got nothing to declare - no parking tickets, speeding fines, arrests, disciplinary matters from uni, nothing. Apparently it looks really suspicious if you declare absolutely nothing, so a few people are advising that I make up something minor that couldn't be checked up (e.g. dismissed ticket for travelling without a concession card).

I'm so whitebread that I've never even been banned in 17 years on these dead gay forums. This was not a problem on my bar admissions, but probably only because I didn't declare my forum account.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I literally had a dream last night that I was banned for trolling the doctors thread. But I was happy because I got to give lowtax money.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
My buddy and I filled out our Texas c&f applications together, both agreeing and understanding it was better to over disclose than omit something. He decides he didn’t need to disclose a minor in possession (or its equivalent) because it was in a national park and he thought there was no way the Texas bar could check it.

Glad he eventually got vetted... what a bonehead move to leave that off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You don’t have to disclose if you don’t get caught