Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
christ that fb group is such a hugbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

where's the group I don't even see it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

where's the group I don't even see it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/486872571422227

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
I actually had a friend tell me they don't listen and think Tom is too mean and I guess maybe they just haven't heard it lately but holy cow I'm over here dying for him to cut some of these people off already. Be mean! Please!! This is not good radio, who's enjoying these calls?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

thanks for the link, I scrolled around, woof it's like a not nearly as bad version of the MBMBaM facebook group

tbh I have been skipping through the episodes a lot lately, as soon as I hear a familiar voice on the call like Cat or whoever I just mash the 30 seconds forward button until I hear something different. I love Tom but he is sacrificing quality for kindness. The show is hard enough to listen to consistently as it is, being 3 hours and sometimes 3.5, let alone knowing that a solid hour of that time is going to be spent talking to some kid who has a math test and nothing else to say

noobdaddy
Oct 6, 2017
im a somewhat new listener, compared to some of you oldheads, and glad to hear im not the only one skipping around in calls. it is excruciating to listen to some of these calls, im sure they are nice people but its like they dont realize there is a whole audience listening and just more call in to give tom a status update on life. really wish he would Bad Company people more often

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Seltzer posted:

I listened from november 1st through christmas 05 and the difference between the show then and now is so stark. So many better callers. Stevie Blue, Purple Shirt, Officer Tom, no smoking joe, Spike, and again the most jarring thing is how the normal callers are actually engaging and interesting instead of meek humorless 30 somethings who feel the need to reference Yo La Tengo and other things Tom likes in a failure to ingratiate themselves. It's such a good stretch of the show if anyone wants to remember what things used to be like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Check out some episodes from the WFMU days. The callers were either generally good, or terrible in a way that was hilarious. It used to be one of the best parts of the show. And when bad callers surfaced they'd get gomped in seconds, or made fun of. He used to get loving mean but it was always funny.

I still think it's a great show and I try to listen every week, but the podcast format sort of killed the call in aspect. It's kind of crazy. Every single worthwhile regular stopped calling after the switch.I'd say the show was at it's peak from around 05-2012.

Tom also seems less rant prone these days but he still has some good ones. It's still worth listening for stuff like the wingstop commercial :lol:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 10, 2018

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The weird thing is when Tom does a rapid fire call show within a show the calls are generally good. And I don’t often recognize regulars in those segments.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tom and Julie Klausner breaking down LA Woman was one of the funniest things I’ve heard in a long time but other than a few things like that the show has been boring lately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder whatever happened to Petey and Mac lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxGKANrLPv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g5J6QEAjSE

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 10, 2018

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Asnorban posted:

As I post this Kat from Raleigh calls in to the show to make sure she didn't get GOMPed.

i still don't understand how that wasn't a "make sure you didn't what???" response there

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Petey called in a few months ago

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Alright, which one of you guys is Justin Mets?

quote:

i get a bad taste in my mouth when white noise callers call in week after week offering nothing of substance but alas, it is not my show or my call.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
This isn’t based on anything specific but I think he doesn’t Bad Company people as much since the lines aren’t so hot. You don’t kick someone off if there’s no one else to go to.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

The Bunk posted:

Alright, which one of you guys is Justin Mets?

heh woops someone must've hacked the fb account i made to watch a single baseball game on oh nooo

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I haven't been a regular listener for over a year because the callers outside of ecigs for legs are so bad and tom decided to stop being mean

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Can't wait to here the thread chime in on tonight's Laurie calls. They are really something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Weembles posted:

Can't wait to here the thread chime in on tonight's Laurie calls. They are really something.

Haven't listened yet, but she posted on that FB group I was whining about with some Reddit drama that she seemed very torn up over the other day, and said she was going to call into the show about it. I've always liked Laurie and I was glad to hear her call last week but jfc if internet drama starts leaking into the best show...

That group was actually pretty funny until like a week ago and the main reason I checked Facebook but I think I need to just get rid of it lol. I can see it slowly turning into tumblr.

iamreading
Aug 29, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Haven't listened yet, but she posted on that FB group I was whining about with some Reddit drama that she seemed very torn up over the other day, and said she was going to call into the show about it. I've always liked Laurie and I was glad to hear her call last week but jfc if internet drama starts leaking into the best show...

That group was actually pretty funny until like a week ago and the main reason I checked Facebook but I think I need to just get rid of it lol. I can see it slowly turning into tumblr.

she didn't mention reddit...I DON'T THINK. She called twice, it was hilarious. Tom refused to GOMP her.

iamreading
Aug 29, 2017

CaptainPsyko posted:

According to Livestream, only ~4000 people are listening?

i'm reading this entire thread (i'm bored OK)... and see when the show first came back/switched to online it had 4000 live listeners..which to me seems so high!!

anyone know: how many listeners did WMFU have?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i kind of fell off with the best show cause yeah the callers loving blow

everything else is great but its hard to listen regularly when I know i have to hear at least an hour of white noise bullshit per episode.

on a better note, does anyone remember which wurster call it was where he says 'college is for weak babies'? I thought it was the gorch but I was wrong.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is that not from the gorch's thing about math? "only math i need to know is YOU equals BEAT UP"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the milk machine posted:

is that not from the gorch's thing about math? "only math i need to know is YOU equals BEAT UP"

poo poo you're right, im dumb, thanks man!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i remembered thanks to my THE GORCH t-shirt

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://youtu.be/A2GAbQgYUoY

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

iamreading posted:

anyone know: how many listeners did WMFU have?

I know a couple people there, I’ll try to remember to ask next time I talk to them.

WFMU still rules

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

That moment when Tom nervously explains why massa’s is named that to his first black guest was hilarious and he needs to have more poc guests.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So did Avalanche Bob's handlers tell him to keep doing the pussycat song or something, or is Bob's descent into dementia accelerating?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

idk what to tell you because I just hit the "skip forward 30 seconds" button every time he comes on until I don't hear him anymore, I started doing it to him and Kat and a few others and boy howdy has my listening experience improved

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

If Wurster ever shows up on Meet My Friends The Friends, will he be portraying podcast agent Don Strong or The Actor Who Played Gunther?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

idk what to tell you because I just hit the "skip forward 30 seconds" button every time he comes on until I don't hear him anymore, I started doing it to him and Kat and a few others and boy howdy has my listening experience improved

His last couple of calls were definitely something.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

The Berzerker posted:

I usually let Bob run because it can be funny when he makes Tom mad, but Kat's definitely an auto-skip for me and as much as I love Steven Universe if a caller mentions they're a fan that's an auto-skip too. They always have no idea what the show's about and everything grinds to a halt and Tom's wayyyy too patient and gentle with them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I feel like we go through the same convo in this thread every couple of weeks but just skipping forward 30 seconds a bunch has made the show better for me. I never miss anything important anyway.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’m 99% sure I just saw Wurster in the Charlotte airport. Panicked and decided I really shouldn’t try to talk to him in public like that, especially if it turned out to not be him.

Edit: His twitter seems to verify. He’s got a pretty unique look.

Edit 2: I realize in retrospect that this was a pretty dumb post to make.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 18, 2018

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Know Such Peace posted:

Celebrity related social awkwardness is about as on topic as you can get for a Best Show thread.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I 100% agree. My first instinct was to pull a Patti Smith elevator moment on him.

Edit: Loved the drum outro on the live version of “Lovecraft in Brooklyn”. Very cool.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 18, 2018

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Know Such Peace posted:

I’m 99% sure I just saw Wurster in the Charlotte airport. Panicked and decided I really shouldn’t try to talk to him in public like that, especially if it turned out to not be him.

Edit: His twitter seems to verify. He’s got a pretty unique look.

He was just up here in the Bay Area and I kept thinking "I should go hang out at Amoeba all day, I bet Wurster will roll by there"

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

Laurie from Miami is getting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Haven't listened in awhile now but it seems the show has devolved into tom playing therapist for the few "super callers" from WFMU days in between humoring adventure time fans.