Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Charles posted:

It's kind of amazing how even the smallest animals & brains are still more capable than the most advanced computers and sensors in many ways.

Nature spent billions of years 'programming', compare that to our bumbling around for a few decades at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Charles posted:

It's kind of amazing how even the smallest animals & brains are still more capable than the most advanced computers and sensors in many ways.
And nature still only very recently got the 'hands' part working.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My cat can't even deliver same day auto parts to me, so much for evolution.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I love inanimate objects because they can't reject my affection.

As soon as they're able to run away from you, they probably will.

That day might come pretty soon as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

As soon as they're able to run away from you, they probably will.

That day might come pretty soon as well.

Most certainly some ironclad ownership dedication will be programmed in as the basis of their personality.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

floor vent

Thanks! It seemed obvious but I had not seen any pics yet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Sicilian posted:

I'M AN ANTISOCIAL GROGNARD HURR DURR

This recent spat with you and whomever spawned 5 reports on you from 5 different people. I want you to take some time off and really think about why you're in this thread, what it's doing for your life, and whether you'd like to be the guy that gets banned from posting in the nerdy electric vehicle thread of an automotive subforum of a comedy forum.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

My cat can't even deliver same day auto parts to me, so much for evolution.

nah your cat can, it just doesn't want to

cant wait until our dynamic enclosure installation robot decides that actually it would prefer to work on its painting today, thank you

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I canceled my model 3 preorder. 3 options were presented - debit card sent to you, bank transfer, or a paper check.

Contrary to previous horror stories, I had the bank draft completed within a couple business days. The paper check option did say 30-60 business days.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I canceled my model 3 preorder. 3 options were presented - debit card sent to you, bank transfer, or a paper check.

Contrary to previous horror stories, I had the bank draft completed within a couple business days. The paper check option did say 30-60 business days.

Glad to hear it was painless. If things take a turn for Tesla the process could get bad in a hurry.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Glad to hear it was painless. If things take a turn for Tesla the process could get bad in a hurry.

Part of my reason to cancel actually. I WFH now and my 2017 GTI has been paid off for awhile, so a replacement or additional car is peak financial stupidity. If the situation changes (car gets totaled) then I can look to see if it’s a viable solution then. Otherwise I’m content racking up about 400 miles a month.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Those of you who charge every day; have you noticed any battery degradation long term? I'm in the UK and have a Leaf that has lost 1 bar of capacity due to the previous owner rapid charging every single time. The advice I've been given is to drain the battery to around 30-40% before charging up again (every 3-4 days for me), but I'm about to get a charge point which would mean plugging in would be super easy and could just do it every evening instead when it's lost around 10 or 20%

I know the Leaf has shitter battery management than most cars too which may be a factor.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 25, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference on a Leaf - either way you're going to get degradation.

There are a large number of earlier Leafs coming into New Zealand and many of them have 7 or 8 bars left at 5-6 years old and 50,000km

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Those of you who charge every day; have you noticed any battery degradation long term? I'm in the UK and have a Leaf that has lost 1 bar of capacity due to the previous owner rapid charging every single time. The advice I've been given is to drain the battery to around 30-40% before charging up again (every 3-4 days for me), but I'm about to get a charge point which would mean plugging in would be super easy and could just do it every evening instead when it's lost around 10 or 20%

I know the Leaf has shitter battery management than most cars too which may be a factor.

It's not how often you charge that wears, but charging power and sitting for a long time at extreme states of charge, near empty or full. Earlier battery tech like NiMH had memory effect which meant you should let it discharge a certain amount, but with lithium ones you can charge and discharge however you like. But charging to 100% every day and then never going much below 80-90% will lead to faster wear on the battery.

The first years of Leaf had an option to limit charge to 80%, but it was removed in 2014 I think. They will probably get around to putting it back in, as pretty much all other manufacturers recognize that max battery life is achieved by avoiding sitting at 100% for long periods of time. That said, the 100%-level cell voltage of the Leaf is lower than for instance Teslas, so it wears less. Also, you can just make some habits, like don't charge on weekends or when away (less risk hoodies will nick cable), don't charge when it's raining (cable gets dirty), etc.

Long life mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8NLoR7dcGE

If the 80%-limit isn't available on yours, you can also set it up via charge timers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeR0SXzQdto

If you have 2 kW charging power you probably only need to charge a few hours every night, if you're only using 10-20% of the battery daily.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Thanks! Yeah right now we're on the EVSE which is 2.4kw, and as its a 2012 it only has 3.5kw charging capability from our 7kw charger (we're getting it so people won't steal the £300 EVSE...). Amazingly it's only down 1 block of capacity after 6+ years.

Being so old it probably has the 80% setting, but we've never used it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Leaf batteries degrade because of heat. There are several way to heat them up but only a fan to cool them off. Extreme power in and out of them is also a problem but mostly only because of the battery temp. Nissan limits quick charging to 2 times a day now 2018 40 kw packs, which really screws up any chance of daisy chaining down the highway even if you live where it is loving cold. As soon as I can find a mild climate 30KW leaf for 11k I will get another one. On the bright side replacement battery cost should come down to $4,000 USD soon so who cares.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

I've seen the battery temp rise after accelerating up a hill and then regenerating down the other side (13% grade), it's certainly not insignificant.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Thanks! Yeah right now we're on the EVSE which is 2.4kw, and as its a 2012 it only has 3.5kw charging capability from our 7kw charger (we're getting it so people won't steal the £300 EVSE...). Amazingly it's only down 1 block of capacity after 6+ years.

Being so old it probably has the 80% setting, but we've never used it.

A 2012 with only one bar missing is really good. If you have the 80% thing, just set that and plug it in every day and you're good.

Elephanthead posted:

Nissan limits quick charging to 2 times a day now 2018 40 kw packs, which really screws up any chance of daisy chaining down the highway even if you live where it is loving cold.

I'm not fully up to date on this controversy, but if it's just hard coded two times a day, it's incredibly stupid. No regard for temperature, no regard for how many lifetime quick charges, just a hard limit. For the sake of 40 kW Leaf owners I hope it can be fixed in a software update, but for me that alone would be a deal breaker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does getting rain on a cable have to do with charge rate?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What does getting rain on a cable have to do with charge rate?

Absolutely nothing, why?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
BMW concept EV x3 looks really good:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/25/bmw-ix3-all-electric-suv-range-specs/

If the production model is close to these specs and the price is similar to the ICE x3 I can see this being a big hit. I never liked the i3, to much of the "quirky EV" stuff that has always doomed battery cars, it seemed like a tech demo and not a real product. This thing is pretty much exactly what the masses want, well other then the luxury price.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Definitely liking the look of that BMW, at least to the extent that I am capable of liking a wannabe SUV. Enough design elements to probably satisfy most of the "I want everyone around to know I'm driving an EV" crowd while still otherwise looking normal enough that the untrained eye wouldn't easily pick it out from a bird's eye view of a parking lot.

A lot of the X3s I see in driveways seem to be second cars too, so if my perception is correct on that many of those buyers (or more likely lessors) might not care about the road trip capability as long as it can handle their secondary daily driver needs.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Absolutely nothing, why?

I don’t understand this part of your post:

quote:

That said, the 100%-level cell voltage of the Leaf is lower than for instance Teslas, so it wears less. Also, you can just make some habits, like don't charge on weekends or when away (less risk hoodies will nick cable), don't charge when it's raining (cable gets dirty), etc.

How do those habits help with power management?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t understand this part of your post:

How do those habits help with power management?

He's saying that since the Leaf doesn't have advanced power management, you can play games with yourself to decide when not to charge it to prolong battery heath. "Don't charge while raining" is a way to remind yourself to skip charging and it has the side effect of keeping the cable clean.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

He's saying that since the Leaf doesn't have advanced power management, you can play games with yourself to decide when not to charge it to prolong battery heath. "Don't charge while raining" is a way to remind yourself to skip charging and it has the side effect of keeping the cable clean.

Exactly. Minimizing the amount of time at >90% state of charge, given a suitable usage/weather pattern. The charge rate is obviously the same. You'd quickly run out of juice where I live. Much better to just flip a "limit to 80%" switch.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My Leaf has the 80% limit thing, and that's a late 2014 model. If it had been removed, it must have been with the 2015 model or later.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The polestar one is going to be $155,000 and only gets 93 miles electric range before becoming a FWD gas hybird.

Super disappointing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting article about electric buses. They're really catching on in China.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-23/electric-buses-are-hurting-the-oil-industry

quote:

All this is starting to make an observable reduction in fuel demand. And because they consume 30 times more fuel than average sized cars, their impact on energy use so far has become much greater than the passenger sedans produced by companies from Tesla Inc. to Toyota Motor Corp.

For every 1,000 battery-powered buses on the road, about 500 barrels a day of diesel fuel will be displaced from the market, according to BNEF calculations. This year, the volume of fuel not needed may rise 37 percent to 279,000 barrels a day because of electric transport including cars and light trucks, about as much oil as Greece consumes, according to BNEF. Buses account for about 233,000 barrels of that total.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

A 2012 with only one bar missing is really good. If you have the 80% thing, just set that and plug it in every day and you're good.

I'm not fully up to date on this controversy, but if it's just hard coded two times a day, it's incredibly stupid. No regard for temperature, no regard for how many lifetime quick charges, just a hard limit. For the sake of 40 kW Leaf owners I hope it can be fixed in a software update, but for me that alone would be a deal breaker.

Surely it is software coded, but no they are not going to remove it. It is to prevent warrenty claims. It is not battery temp dependant. Some guy in Scotland documented it as he drives from the top to the bottom and back cause he is old. He couldn't quickcharge like he had in the past and the 30kw leaf did the trip faster because of it so he was mad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kimcicle posted:

In other EV news, BMW has put out a new teaser for the upcoming X3 electric. Full reveal at the Beijing Auto Show.

https://twitter.com/BMWGroup/status/987332356351635456

Looks like they are ditching their kidney grill for the electric version?

Late, but looks like a Kia grille.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm really jazzed about that iX3. I loath the tesla X but would really like a more suv form factor for various reasons. Might be what we end up swapping our S out for in a few years. If their charging situation gets better anyway. As much as some folks like to downplay the super charger situation, it is super handy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Model X ranks high for ugliest car in production.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Speleothing posted:

I'd tolerate it if it weren't for those lovely gullwing doors. I drove a leaf for 6 years. I can deal with ugly. I can't deal with non functional.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
So is anyone excited about this? Should I not be?

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/5/17072850/volkswagen-ev-i-d-vizzion-mile-range-2022

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

silicone thrills posted:

gullwing doors.

*Ahem*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ola posted:

Interesting article about electric buses. They're really catching on in China.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-23/electric-buses-are-hurting-the-oil-industry

9,000 buses a week.....!?!?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

9,000 buses a week.....!?!?

China is four times bigger than the US by population, has a lot of urban centers with major air pollution problems, and has zero fear of outright telling companies "go build this pronto" even if it might result in them having more of whatever it is than they actually need.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Speleothing posted:

The absolute worst part of it is the rear end. So big and bland. Like a skip or something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Someone slapped a VW badge and some Rimz on a tesla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Someone slapped a VW badge and some Rimz on a tesla?

Particularly the Zs. Herr Direktor Karl-Heinz (78) has consulted his cool son Wernher (53) and he says that young people thinks names with Zs are really cool.

• Locked thread