Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I once drunkenly sent Wiz a bunch of messages because he was one of two Martins on my skype and told him that if he was ever in Iceland I'd buy him a hotdog

welp that's my wiz story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's legally binding.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Icelandic hotdogs are pretty goddamn great.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'd honestly love if stability was actually a kind of see-saw, where you have a bunch of factors that steadily increase it (religious unity, cultural unity, prosperity and so on) with other factors decreasing it (lack of the aformentioned, events) and raising stability would just mean that you tipped it further to the good side.

I guess kinda just another number like Prestige or Legitimacy, only far more central to the game.

Also colonisation is really weird and if this is the latest and best incarnation I'm really curious what the older versions were like lol

edit: do I have to state a province for it to count for colonial range? why is it so loving irritating trying to colonize from Siberia to Alaska??

A crisis system for interior politics where you can push through reforms would be kinda neat in EU or VIC. I guess EU doesn't really have enough interior politics to make this interesting except as another way to get +5% to something or other.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

The SA Stellaris thread is pretty much building shrines to Wiz full-time now.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I once drunkenly sent Wiz a bunch of messages because he was one of two Martins on my skype and told him that if he was ever in Iceland I'd buy him a hotdog

welp that's my wiz story

I stand by my statement!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I moved to Iceland 3 years ago and it absolutely blew my mind they put the sausage on last. No more spillage!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

That's legally binding.
He will drat well get it if he ever asks for it

In IKEA

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Icelandic hotdogs are pretty goddamn great.
yea

Lum_ posted:

I stand by my statement!
This was before he became a dev I think??

Demiurge4 posted:

I moved to Iceland 3 years ago and it absolutely blew my mind they put the sausage on last. No more spillage!
That our genius isn't celebrated in enough Paradox games is honestly a travesty

When I first released and played as Iceland in EUIV I was beyond shocked to see GENERIC IDEAS!! Meanwhile, the villainous mainland curs have ideas mentioning Sagas and whatnot when they were nothing but stay-at-home layabouts who managed to lose most of theirs

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

We're playing a multiplayer Hearts of Iron 4 game using goon-mod Apres Moi Le Deluge :france: come sign up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855139

Game starts Friday May 4th and goes for 3 hours every week starting at 22:00 UTC

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This has been one of the better/more chaotic Europes I've seen. Possibly because I stayed out of it this run through.

It's 1918 ans communist rebels just enforced their demands on Russia...

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Beautiful. The German exclave in belerussia is top tier. What country were you playing & you have a world map?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Beautiful. The German exclave in belerussia is top tier. What country were you playing & you have a world map?

I'm the USA.

The red bit in China is the last remaining part of what was a big russian presence. China's got its act together now though (as long as they don't declare on Korea again). That's also the soviets in the Yukon.

Gran Columbia is where Venezuela should be (there's a tiny piece of Venezuela left too).

I took Cuba from Spain when they intervened in the Mexican American war for the second time.

feller fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 27, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Capitalism was a mistake.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

really queer Christmas posted:

Capitalism was a mistake.

Most efficient way of allocating resources

now, please. we need more concrete

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

For Vicky2, Is there any way for me, as Japan, to make Koreans and Manchus into accepted cultures or get some Japanese people over there? I’ve owned Korea for like 30 years and not a single Japanese person will live there.

Also, replaying the game makes me really frustrated in some of the archaic and dumb systems and makes me really want that Victoria 3 that won’t come until 2042.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

For Vicky2, Is there any way for me, as Japan, to make Koreans and Manchus into accepted cultures or get some Japanese people over there? I’ve owned Korea for like 30 years and not a single Japanese person will live there.

Also, replaying the game makes me really frustrated in some of the archaic and dumb systems and makes me really want that Victoria 3 that won’t come until 2042.

No, Victoria 2 accepted/primary cultures are static. The only thing that can change them are preset events like various the various US native american events. I think if you use a national focus to encourage immigration to those areas you'll see more Japanese pops move there, but they're likely always going to be vastly outnumbered by Koreans and Manchus. The thing about Korea and Manchuria in Victoria 2 is that in Vicky 2 a lot of places are "cultural cores", where even if the nation stops existing, the pops of that culture living in those cores are very unlikely to change cultures no matter how long they've been living under another nation. All you can really do is have Japanese troops hanging out nearby to put down the inevitable rebellions that pop up and suppress the separatist movements to try to keep the crisis temperatures down.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No, Victoria 2 accepted/primary cultures are static. The only thing that can change them are preset events like various the various US native american events. I think if you use a national focus to encourage immigration to those areas you'll see more Japanese pops move there, but they're likely always going to be vastly outnumbered by Koreans and Manchus. The thing about Korea and Manchuria in Victoria 2 is that in Vicky 2 a lot of places are "cultural cores", where even if the nation stops existing, the pops of that culture living in those cores are very unlikely to change cultures no matter how long they've been living under another nation. All you can really do is have Japanese troops hanging out nearby to put down the inevitable rebellions that pop up and suppress the separatist movements to try to keep the crisis temperatures down.

I’ve had the immigration focus on it for a while to no avail. I just wanted to be able to turn them into states and build factories. Pyongyang’s got a lot of good industrial material I’ve not got a lot of on the home islands.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

iirc the immigration focus only makes it so that if your country receives immigrants (and you won't if you're in the Old World), they're more likely to go to that state. It doesn't affect internal migration at all.

There's pretty much nothing you can do here!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fister Roboto posted:

iirc the immigration focus only makes it so that if your country receives immigrants (and you won't if you're in the Old World), they're more likely to go to that state. It doesn't affect internal migration at all.

There's pretty much nothing you can do here!

Yeah, from what I can tell, your pops will migrate internally to conquered territory if and only if they share a land route.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Victoria 2 may not have been all that well thought-out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I’ve had the immigration focus on it for a while to no avail. I just wanted to be able to turn them into states and build factories. Pyongyang’s got a lot of good industrial material I’ve not got a lot of on the home islands.

If you really want to, you could just add them as accepted cultures in your savefile. Keep in mind that pretty much breaks the game though.
Or you could remove the modifier that makes cultures not convert in cores of that culture and convert them all to japanese slowly :getin:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

when will they announce victoria 3 at PDXcon

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

when will they announce victoria 3 at PDXcon

Never, there's Stellaris story DLC and for my money something they're just publishing

Good thing though because Victoria II is v bad

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

GrossMurpel posted:

If you really want to, you could just add them as accepted cultures in your savefile. Keep in mind that pretty much breaks the game though.
Or you could remove the modifier that makes cultures not convert in cores of that culture and convert them all to japanese slowly :getin:

The real move here is to conquer as much of Oceana as possible, and keep them & your mainland posessions the same administrative type (colony/state) so there is intermigration. Not only will the islands in Oceana not have cores blocking your Manchu and Korean subjects from zapping into proper Japanese, they actually get a bonus for doing so. This also works if you start grabbing land in the Americas, which obviously may present some other difficulties along with it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Obliterati posted:

Never, there's Stellaris story DLC and for my money something they're just publishing

Well yeah if it was perfect we wouldn't need Vicky 3

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Obliterati posted:

You don’t need to speculate. They’ve said there will be a new game they’re publishing and a new game they’re developing. I’m expecting Rome or CK3

feller fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 1, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Vicky gives you something no other Paradox game does, and that's a detailed view of the regular people of your country. In other games, you only get very basic indications of how your people are doing based on things like revolt risk and province prosperity. Other Paradox games are all about leveraging the resources of the state to accomplish your goals (though CK2 gets points for the personal interactions with courtiers expanding the scope beyond that), and the people of your country are just means to that end. In Vicky, however, you actually get to see how your people live their lives, what their needs are, and you can take measures to provide that for them. The game is all about your people, not your borders. The addition of human capital is what elevates Victoria 2 to the level of the best Paradox game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Senor Dog posted:

You don’t need to speculate. They’ve said there will be a new game they’re publishing and a new game they’re developing. I’m expecting Rome or CK3

To be fair we need EUV before CK3

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

If you want Korea to be a proper state you have to conquer them before you civilise. If you conquer uncivs as an uncivs they become states, if you conquer uncivs as a civ they become colonies.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senor Dog posted:

We know it's a Johan game though, right? He's not the CK "guy" from what I can tell (i'm probably going to get shot down by the goons itt that actually know...) so I would doubt it is CK3.

So my guess is Rome for that reason. Or something new!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

algebra testes posted:

We know it's a Johan game though, right? He's not the CK "guy" from what I can tell (i'm probably going to get shot down by the goons itt that actually know...) so I would doubt it is CK3.

So my guess is Rome for that reason. Or something new!

I didn’t really believe CK3 when I added it, I just wanted to list more than one game and the world is too cruel and mean a place for Vicky 3.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Vicky gives you something no other Paradox game does, and that's a detailed view of the regular people of your country. In other games, you only get very basic indications of how your people are doing based on things like revolt risk and province prosperity. Other Paradox games are all about leveraging the resources of the state to accomplish your goals (though CK2 gets points for the personal interactions with courtiers expanding the scope beyond that), and the people of your country are just means to that end. In Vicky, however, you actually get to see how your people live their lives, what their needs are, and you can take measures to provide that for them. The game is all about your people, not your borders. The addition of human capital is what elevates Victoria 2 to the level of the best Paradox game.

I really love that demographic aspect of the Victoria series. You can see their religion, their ethnicity, how new inventions or historical developments affect their fertility rate - that stuff is like crack to me and you don't really get it in any other game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't wait for it all to be abstracted away and replaced with proletariat mana in Vicky 3.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't wait for it all to be abstracted away and replaced with proletariat mana in Vicky 3.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that the magic juice that makes V2 special (a black box of simulated populations with details that the player has little to no control over) runs pretty directly counter to Paradox's modern design philosophy of allowing as much player control over gameplay systems as possible. I feel like if V3 ever actually does come out, the likely response from V2 fans would be "It's a good game, but kind of a disappointment."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

100%, the entire thing that makes Vicky so good is that you don't have magical control over everything. You're not some magical god-force that has perfect knowledge and control, you're trying to run a real country like a real human and those rear end in a top hat capitalists :argh: keep doing things you don't want or can't control. It's also what makes CKII the second-best PDX game, it's about actual humans doing actual human things.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

100%, the entire thing that makes Vicky so good is that you don't have magical control over everything. You're not some magical god-force that has perfect knowledge and control, you're trying to run a real country like a real human and those rear end in a top hat capitalists :argh: keep doing things you don't want or can't control. It's also what makes CKII the second-best PDX game, it's about actual humans doing actual human things.

There’s definitely more things I’d want control over than vic2 gives. Having to wait a year to start building a naval base because nobody is selling any timber sucks, especially when it already takes 3 years to build them then more time to build the ships you need.

War justification feels like I plot with my cabinet, then one of those fuckers immediately runs outside the building and screams WE ARE PLOTTING A WAR JUSTIFICATION and accruing max infamy sucks poo poo and means I can’t have fun unless I cheat some of it away.

Besides those things, I do agree that it’s fun to be along for the ride than being able to take complete control of destiny like in other paradox games.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

You mean all those liberals who keep thinking they should have some say in the government, and end up blocking the necessary social reforms in my nation?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

idhrendur posted:

You mean all those liberals who keep thinking they should have some say in the government, and end up blocking the necessary social reforms in my nation?

Well, how are you going to get re-elected if you fix the problems people elected you to fix? Answer me that, wiseguy. :colbert:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've started trying to get the lieberals elected. Game is more fun when 100k unemployed craftsmen could spring up at any moment.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

There’s definitely more things I’d want control over than vic2 gives. Having to wait a year to start building a naval base because nobody is selling any timber sucks, especially when it already takes 3 years to build them then more time to build the ships you need.

War justification feels like I plot with my cabinet, then one of those fuckers immediately runs outside the building and screams WE ARE PLOTTING A WAR JUSTIFICATION and accruing max infamy sucks poo poo and means I can’t have fun unless I cheat some of it away.

Besides those things, I do agree that it’s fun to be along for the ride than being able to take complete control of destiny like in other paradox games.

Yeah infamy is one of the things that tends to annoy me about the game, but I get why it's there - Victoria isn't meant to be a game about world conquest, at least, not through military means. I think the main issue with it is that the way it works is kind of dumb, where anything below 25 is fine, but with 25.1 infamy suddenly all your allies ditch you and everyone decides to declare containment wars. It would make a lot more sense if it was a more gradual thing, like how aggressive expansion works in EU4. Although relations themselves would probably have to be a bit more meaningful as well - in Vicky the numbers go from -200 to +200 but they might as well just be "hates me" "loves me" "is indifferent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well considering Paradox's post HoI4 policy of only announcing games when you're months out from release. It seems to be it's something that Jon Shafer started working on and that the original Stellaris team got assigned to, which fits about a 3 year dev cycle. That would suggest a sequel to an older game or a completely new title.