Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I ordered a new dash (amongst other things) for the land cruiser. The place that makes them is in Henderson, Nevada and their sales rep told me they just ordered a frame and tub combo for a quad cab, from the same people I'm buying a bed from. http://www.hardbody4x4.com/fj-quad-cab-xl-130-wheelbase.html

Considering they're going with a new frame as well as body, I imagine they aren't building a streetable rig, but it is probably going to look sweet as gently caress.

E: Here is a picture of a spark plug that has nothing to do with the rest of my post at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god dammit, bumped the a/c temp up while driving home just now and white smoke blew out the vents and fogged my windshield. I do not need to pay for a loving heater core right now.

E: The hoses are easy enough to get to, I guess I could just bypass it...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's summer. Nobody needs heat :v:

Today was orientation for nursing school.

I am hosed, but I've made my choice and now I've got to live with it. I can do this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

"Metal Geir Skogul" posted:

I am hosed, but I've made my choice and now I've got to live with it. I can do this.

Have you realised how much poop and how many old men's willies you will have to deal with?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

spog posted:

Have you realised how much poop and how many old men's willies you will have to deal with?

That's what keeps him going

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ExplodingSims posted:

You'd think so anyways. There still seems to be a lot of people out there who still think it's 2008 and can offer garbage wages.

That and assholes who try to rule by fear while managing. It's like, bro, as a tech it's not hard to find a job, I can have a new one by the end of the week. And yet, places still wanna treat their workers like garbage.

Right now those people are frantically raising wages.

I'm honestly not kidding, either. The past 5 months have been like a kick in the rear end, and the last 2 months especially. We just raised our starting wage by 2 bucks an hour and bumped every other position accordingly, simply because of the market right now. That's basically unheard of in FL.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's summer. Nobody needs heat :v:

One day you will be filing a W2 that has a number with six digits to the left of the decimal point on it.

You can do this.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. It's going to be a long few years, and today my social anxiety was through the roof. But I met a few people and played tech support during the computer lab portion (our IT person is a nurse, and only kinda into "IT," I think she's just the only faculty member that knows how to do formulas in excel) and that helped a bit.

Half of the computer class was "okay, who out there uses Android? Okay. My husband uses Android and we are just *butting heads with fists motion* over it, but unfortunately the school bought you Android tablets so we'll have to deal with it. Okay, the cable the tablet comes with, you should keep that, because if you're like me, it's the only "android" cable allowed in my house."

From that, you can see how the rest of the computer lab went. We were making accounts with Bookshelf (an entirely free app/service) and linking them to the school blackboard stuff. One student mistyped her email address when signing up for Bookshelf, and the teacher was insisting she needed to CALL THE APP COMPANY to get it fixed. There were no codes or anything, so WTF? When the teach walked away I helped the student make a new account (she didn't realize), all was fine.

But just...yeah. That type of stuff with 50 people. The older gentleman who sat next to me didn't understand that websites could have their own accounts, and was confuddled by the different password requirements of each site we visited. He used HIS 8 DIGIT BIRTHDAY with the school, but obviously couldn't use that for Blackboard.

It was a long day, but I tend to talk through my anxiety and people seem to think I'm really outgoing. Then I go to my car and collapse from the exhaustion of interaction. It will get better over time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Half of the computer class was "okay, who out there uses Android? Okay. My husband uses Android and we are just *butting heads with fists motion* over it, but unfortunately the school bought you Android tablets so we'll have to deal with it. Okay, the cable the tablet comes with, you should keep that, because if you're like me, it's the only "android" cable allowed in my house."

I feel so bad for this woman's husband.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Apartment with a parking space

Every job starts we me having to schlep all my tools all the way down to the car.
Then back up again afterwards. That includes a hydraulic jack and axles stands

You can see why I get rightly hacked off when I discovered that the one socket/extension bar/adaptor is not in the kit I have and I have to go back and get it.

Even though I take far too many tools with me, I'm always caught out by an odd-sized bolt, screw or the the fact that my 'professional' socket set was clearly not designed by someone who uses these things everyday. (Yesterday, I learnt that you can't use the 16mm socket on the biggest ratchet, just the medium-sized one. I'd willingly skip the lovely screwdriver bits if it meant they gave me the right adaptors instead.)

Do you have a patio or balcony?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fermented Tinal posted:

I feel so bad for this woman's husband.

I feel like I should move in next door and start selling them micro-USB cables at ten bucks a pop.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm still surprised at how much market share iOS still has. I'm not sure what draws people to them since they don't have an edge anymore with anything and the whole proprietary and locked down nature of Apple has to be tiresome by now. It even seems their losing their appeal as a pure status symbol.

On another note, the switch to USB-C is going to be painful now that USB micro is so ubiquitous. Hopefully in a few more years it'll be a non issue but for now it kinda sucks to have.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can't wait for USB-C to become more widespread simply because it's orientation agnostic. I can't wait to be able to plug my phone in in the dark without awkwardly stabbing at the port half a dozen times like a virgin on prom night.

Micro USB 3.0 is even worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

I'm still surprised at how much market share iOS still has. I'm not sure what draws people to them since they don't have an edge anymore with anything and the whole proprietary and locked down nature of Apple has to be tiresome by now. It even seems their losing their appeal as a pure status symbol.

On another note, the switch to USB-C is going to be painful now that USB micro is so ubiquitous. Hopefully in a few more years it'll be a non issue but for now it kinda sucks to have.

I thought it would be but I got a pack of adapters from Amazon for $8 and now all my micro cords are C's.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Bajaha posted:

They have an ecosystem that is locked down tight and if you switch to android or whatever you lose all the purchases you made so people just keep buying them. A lot of non-tech people I know however have been ditching their apple phones over the last year.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

I can't wait for USB-C to become more widespread simply because it's orientation agnostic. I can't wait to be able to plug my phone in in the dark without awkwardly stabbing at the port half a dozen times like a virgin on prom night.

Micro USB 3.0 is even worse.

cut a notch in the plastic on the cable end so you can tell which side is up by feel

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

I just bought an AZ-1

No tall people allowed.

I’m days behind on catching up to this thread but this is exciting. I’ve followed your thread and know I will one day import a Kei car even if just to own for a short time. This is the holy grail. Nice work!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So, as a few of you guys might know, I am a big fan of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game, just as I am sure a few of you are too.

Now recently, the developers hosted a rather large public design competition in the game, which you can follow in the thread in Games, where I was met with some success - made it into the finals for six categories, winning one of them, coming second in four of them and third in another. Anyway, the upshot of this is that the prize for winning one of the category finals is that I have an Automation Steam key, plus a key for the V16 Engine pack, which is a reward for early supporters of the game. Since I already have both of these, I am giving them both away as a package, to the first person who answers this question correctly:

What is the total horsepower of all six of my finalist entries in the design competition?

To find out, the videos are linked in the Youtube thread, or go to the AutomationGame channel on Youtube to find out!

Also, for those of you who have messed around in Automation and remember it looking like this:

Well, it looks more like this now:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

One day you will be filing a W2 that has a number with six digits to the left of the decimal point on it.

You can do this.

One of the groups in my office has a job posting for a lead developer - the posting is for slightly above $110k. Apparently it's hard enough to fill that the company has gone through all the paperwork to get this position authorized for an H2 Visa worker, so I expect to see a new Indian in that department in the near future.

If you have the proper schooling and skillset, there are definitely well paying jobs out there to be had.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bajaha posted:

That's what keeps him going

Well, I laughed

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I mean, taken absolutely, poop is involved in being a motivator.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The question: can you fit a 55-inch TV in a sedan.

The answer: Yes, but it has to be a big sedan, and you've got to be under 71 inches tall.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaha posted:

I'm still surprised at how much market share iOS still has.

For me, it’s a bit of Stockholm syndrome.

Me and the kid have iPhones, we have iPads, we have a 27” iMac and he uses a MacBook for his school work. Apple TV. Apple Watch. Not a fan on the X, so when apple renders our current stuff obsolete with a software update, we’ll have to make a decision.

Back years ago when we had android devices, they all had their quirks and different feel. I am not into rooting or jail breaking or whatever. I just want it to work without futzing with it.

I just like having one ecosystem across all my devices. The absolute biggest draw is foreflight and garmen pilot working flawlessly. And my first iPad lasted forever. Finally gave up the ghost when it was dropped and the screen shattered. It wasn’t much good for anything but surfing the web or YouTube, but man it was a tank.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's funny because today was kind of the opposite, but for the school. Everyone got Samsung Tab A 10.1 With Pen tablets, except for those that opted out (I would have opted out IF I HAD KNOWN). Those that opted out had iPads and a mix of other devices. The book app they use has highlighting and search functions, as well as animation functions. There are also interactive VR-style modules. The Apple version of the app sucked. However, it ran flawlessly on both the tablets, and in Chrome. Safari users were SOL. Since a few of the modules also use flash AND HTML5 video and interactions, it was difficult to find something that worked for all (the tablet version of the apps use slides instead of flash, thank god). Of course everything also worked on my Surface 3 (non-pro, got it really cheap). I think I'll be using my Surface a poo poo-ton over the next two years.

I'll admit the problems were a combination of the app programming as well as being on a different ecosystem. None of the functions worked right, and holy hell trying to get the bluetooth keyboards they gave us to sync to different devices was a TON of fun when it came to 50+ people in a room giving it a shot :wtf:.

In a weird twist, the tablet is my first foray into Android with anything higher than 5.0. It seems...smooth. Less customization than I'm used to (more iOS-like), but it worked well. I'm happy with Android's development and glad there are competitors in the market. Samsung's custom bullshit can still gently caress off and die, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So just how long does it normally take the IRS to yank their money out of your account? I paid my taxes online via TurboTax (ACH transfer) on the 17th, they still haven't hit my account.

edit: oh goddamnit I lost my black thumbs when I changed my avatar. :cripes:

Enourmo posted:

Oh god dammit, bumped the a/c temp up while driving home just now and white smoke blew out the vents and fogged my windshield. I do not need to pay for a loving heater core right now.

E: The hoses are easy enough to get to, I guess I could just bypass it...

It's summer Florida. Nobody needs heat :v:

Also FWIW, it was dead simple to bypass the core on my F-150. I'm sure it can't be much harder on a Crown Vic. Just looped the hoses with a barb.

The question: can you fit a 55-inch TV in a sedan.

The answer: Yes, but it has to be a big sedan, and you've got to be under 71 inches tall.

I hate to break it to you, but I've fit 55 inch TVs into a Saturn when doing delivery for Amazon.

... the back seats folding down are a big help. So is the missing B pillar, along with the front passenger seat that folds flat and halfway tucks up under the dash. It's a bit difficult to use 5th, reverse, and the parking brake with something like that in there, though. Okay I guess I cheated a bit with that. :v:

In a weird twist, the tablet is my first foray into Android with anything higher than 5.0. It seems...smooth. Less customization than I'm used to (more iOS-like), but it worked well. I'm happy with Android's development and glad there are competitors in the market. Samsung's custom bullshit can still gently caress off and die, though.

You'll have an orgasm if you ever get your hands on an Android 7 or 8 device with little to no custom skinning/apps. Motorola is the best major name when it comes to this (they'll add in some gestures and an app to control them, but the OS is pretty much untouched overall, at least on the E/G/X lines). Even Android 6 is pretty drat nice when it hasn't had a custom UI laid on top of it, but 7 and 8 both run a lot smoother overall.

I haven't felt the need to modify 7 or 8 in any way, beyond rooting to install an ad blocker. 6 is pretty nice in stock form too; my work phone is running stock 6 firmware from Motorola, except with root added for a couple of things that are helpful for work. Giving some serious thought to rooting my personal phone (Essential PH-1) so I can install xposed framework, an ad blocker, and a version of Youtube that blocks ads. I don't use Android Pay, so losing that isn't a big deal... but I won't be able to update the Netflix app via the play store :/

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 25, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

spog posted:

Hello spog

I notice you don't have platinum. If you would like an upgrade, give me an email to send to and I'll sort you out (bought a few to help out Lowtax' broken neck.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

STR posted:

edit: oh goddamnit I lost my black thumbs when I changed my avatar. :cripes:

Well that's just flat out horrifying.

Incident what do I need to do to keep my tag when I change my av?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well that's just flat out horrifying.

Incident what do I need to do to keep my tag when I change my av?

Before you change it, make a note of the image url that it's using. Add it to your flavor text when you change, using an [ img ] tag. Normally those tags aren't allowed in titles, but they are when it's hosted on SA's avatar directory. "Tags" are first purchased as an avatar, then can be used in titles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

STR posted:

I haven't felt the need to modify 7 or 8 in any way, beyond rooting to install an ad blocker. 6 is pretty nice in stock form too; my work phone is running stock 6 firmware from Motorola, except with root added for a couple of things that are helpful for work. Giving some serious thought to rooting my personal phone (Essential PH-1) so I can install xposed framework, an ad blocker, and a version of Youtube that blocks ads. I don't use Android Pay, so losing that isn't a big deal... but I won't be able to update the Netflix app via the play store :/

My bad, my S5 is on 6.0.1, which is the end of the line unless I want to get into CFW. I mean, it's already CFW, but "Custom"-Custom-Firmware. Which I can't do because nearly zero CFWs keep the "update PRL/update profile" options that are required for Sprint usage every six months or so. Ah well. 6.0 is good. I just checked and the tablet is running 7.0. Since it's a "school" tablet (even though we bought it and can use personal devices), I'll keep it stock as-is, just in case.

And if I had no B-pillar on the P71, I'd be able to move a house (and it's body-on-frame, so don't make floppy dick car body comments... or do).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's one thing I really don't miss about Sprint phones. Also their "3G" speeds are like 2G speeds on GSM.

edit: what the gently caress is this Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/Bob's Burgers/Futurama mashup on TV? :psypop: Thought I'd seen it before, but I didn't remember American Dad and Bob's Burgers making it into the mashup.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 25, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can pry my SERO plan from my cold, dead, 5Mbps hands.

e: and I think I have an answer for the "3g" thing. From what I read, when Sprint moved to "4G," (not wimax), even though they didn't have 4G in major cities like PHOENIX until like two years ago, they set their "3G" service to non-priority across the board. You know, the thing Verizon or AT&T does in an emergency or when you're legitimately on the edge of signal range. Prioritize 4G, drop 3G to the wayside without any multiplexing or priority access. Except, you know, the other carriers will still give 3G full 3G speeds (which aren't actually horrible compared to LTE or...nothing) when there is enough bandwidth on the tower. Sprint hit the easy button and just de-prioritized all of it, no matter what. This may be aprocryphal, but it's what I read on a Sprint blog a few years ago.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 25, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eh, FWIW, it's stupid easy to get plans that beat SERO these days.

$40/mo + fees ($3.50/mo) for my unlimited T-Mobile plan. T-Mobile either rocks or sucks, depending where you are.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bolind posted:

Hello spog

I notice you don't have platinum. If you would like an upgrade, give me an email to send to and I'll sort you out (bought a few to help out Lowtax' broken neck.)

That's very generous of you

I did an autoban to throw a few buck his way, but forget that doing that would lose all your bells and whistles.

(Then I read his thread and realised that my entire contribution would cover the cost of a single tylenol at hospital. Maybe)

E: You are very nice, thank you.

spog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 25, 2018

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Bajaha posted:

I'm still surprised at how much market share iOS still has. I'm not sure what draws people to them since they don't have an edge anymore.....

My bad, my S5 is on 6.0.1, which is the end of the line unless I want to get into CFW. I mean, it's already CFW, but "Custom"-Custom-Firmware. Which I can't do because nearly zero CFWs keep the "update PRL/update profile" options that are required for Sprint usage every six months or so.......

Because I have no interest in playing tech support with the one device I use every single day. I’ve found non-jailbroken iOS to be entirely unbreakable from the software side, but I’ve managed to gently caress up stock android os just by installing UI customisation stuff from the google play store.

Literally the only thing I want to do which my iPhone can’t is set Spotify as default instead of iTunes when it connects to Bluetooth. I can live with that.

Admittedly, I’d like a better battery but I’m not sure the equivalent android would be much better considering my battery problems seem to stem from playing music from the speaker for hours on end while working outside in freezing conditions.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah I'm not a phone whiz nor do I care to be. If I can have a thing that works with only the odd reset, I'm happy. Having hosed around with android in the past on a tablet, I've no interest in doing that on a device I need to work 99% of the time.

ios ain't bad and I say this as someone forced by work to use it.

*edit: itunes however is still hot garbage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When I'm done fixing computers and explaining poo poo all day, I'm happy to come home to an Apple ecosystem that Just Works*. Yes, it's expensive and a lock in. Dontgiveafuck.

*) The latest iMessages has me seriously considering switching over though. I have several contacts where messages just appear slightly out of order. How hard can it be, Apple?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I've never had an issue with android.

Then again, I don't have any smart devices and don't really do poo poo with them. My phone and a tablet cover every base I need, essentially.

I try to stay somewhat up to date on phones given my work environment (doesn't look right when a mgr has an old rear end or busted phone, esp when you're in meetings with senior mgmt every day) but the last two generations really haven't given anything NEW functionality wise that I actually needed. Bit quicker, bit nicer screens.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
We've hit the point where the expectation to be amazed at a new device needs to just die. The tech has plateaued, and the only innovation is going to be into security/privacy (hahahaha).

My xpure is great. I'd love to upgrade it, but there is literally zero reason for me to do so at this point. It still works/looks good, does everything I want it to. The only thing that would be nice would be a nicer camera for kid pictures. That's it. So, I'll sit on it for awhile.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
iOS and Android come down to personal preference these days. They're both pretty solid.

With that said, I prefer iOS over Android because of fragmentation and security:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/12/17228510/android-phone-manufacturers-missed-security-updates-lie

This doesn't make Android insecure, just less secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I go to work and gently caress around with computers all day. I want to go home and not have to gently caress around with phones and tablets so I just keep my old iPhone that had had a new battery put in after 2 years because it just keeps going.

• Locked thread