Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i'm so thankful i'm in an area where it's legal to shoot off leash dog/cats

pets are great and all but if you can't spend a dollar to get a leash i'll gladly spend 60 cents on a bullet when your lovely dog chases me because i was trying to walk to the grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There are a lot of off-leash dogs that i've seen in germany/switzerland and the only thing i can conclude is that americans are uniquely awful in training their dogs. The off-leash dogs i've seen here just either ignore you entirely or just glance at you like "oh hi", not stalk you and growl at you like the wandering pitbulls back at home.

I still think it's a dumb idea no matter how well trained they are though. It only takes one slip-up like the dog seeing a squirrel across the road and forgets the training and ends up flattened on the road, or maybe you move in the wrong way and trigger it into attacking you etc. It's the same thing with the outdoor cat argument - the off leash proponents will say their dog is happier that way, but it's bullshit. Your dog will not resent you for training it to be attached to you via leash.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When people in general use the excuse that the animal will be happy if....

This gorilla would be much happier if it wasn't kept in captivity for people to look at! Except of course the gorilla was born in captivity or it's been in captivity for 30 or 40 years, or you know we forget that there's poachers out there.

The cat would be much happier if she could go outside! Ignoring the other feral cats, feral dogs, coyotes, owls, rattlesnakes...

My dog / cat/rabbit would be much happier if I let her experience the joy of motherhood!

Just. Stop.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

When people in general use the excuse that the animal will be happy if....

This gorilla would be much happier if it wasn't kept in captivity for people to look at! Except of course the gorilla was born in captivity or it's been in captivity for 30 or 40 years, or you know we forget that there's poachers out there.

The cat would be much happier if she could go outside! Ignoring the other feral cats, feral dogs, coyotes, owls, rattlesnakes...

My dog / cat/rabbit would be much happier if I let her experience the joy of motherhood!

Just. Stop.

I saw something fairly funny with a stray cat meeting an owned dog. The dog and cat sniffed each other's noses, then the dog went round for the rear end and the cat was all "Woah what the gently caress!" and ended up on it's back rolling around startled that the dog just shoved it's nose in her rear end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want to become a canadian citizen and the required amount of paperwork and other requirements is loving absurd.

I imagine being someone who isn't a lily white middle class jew turns this from a pet peeve into a horrific racist slog.

But seriously gently caress immigration requirements. I speak english and french and weep when O Canada is played at my hockey games and have lived amongst you for years, christ on a stick just let me join up

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want to become a canadian citizen and the required amount of paperwork and other requirements is loving absurd.

I imagine being someone who isn't a lily white middle class jew turns this from a pet peeve into a horrific racist slog.

But seriously gently caress immigration requirements. I speak english and french and weep when O Canada is played at my hockey games and have lived amongst you for years, christ on a stick just let me join up

Do they also make you pay thousands of dollars like :911: does?

At the end of my looong rear end citizenship process I had to take an interview that included a “do you speak and can write in English” test and I spoke better English than the guy giving the test, and he had to have me write “I like apple pie and baseball” on a piece of paper and actually apologized and said it’s something they have to do with everyone. I speak perfect ‘Murican so it was just silly. Also I don’t like baseball. So I lied to the government :ninja:

E: on that note, peeve is racists who think that anyone with a Hispanic accent is not worthy of talking to because they “don’t speak English!” I worked in food service in high school and I was one of two white people there. Everyone else was Mexican but were all citizens and spoke perfect English, lived in the US for many years, they just had accents. Some jackass called and asked for a manager, who was Mexican. Eventually he was like, CAN I TALK TO SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH?! so they gave the phone to 16 year old me who had no idea about how to deal with angry customers AND I WAS THE ONLY NON-AMERICAN-CITIZEN THERE. The irony was hilarious but also terrible.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Apr 23, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My parents are green card permanent residents and I'm jealous. They pretty much have all the same rights as me while also never doing jury duty. They just can't vote.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thin Privilege posted:

At the end of my looong rear end citizenship process I had to take an interview that included a “do you speak and can write in English” test and I spoke better English than the guy giving the test, and he had to have me write “I like apple pie and baseball” on a piece of paper and actually apologized and said it’s something they have to do with everyone. I speak perfect ‘Murican so it was just silly. Also I don’t like baseball. So I lied to the government :ninja:

I was born and raised in America and I don't like apple pie or baseball.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Motherfucking baby boomers.

Because I need some extra money for a little while, I started working in the garden center of a nearby superstore on weekends. We're woefully understaffed and it's been unseasonably cold, so while it was technically open, I'd just been doing setup. 9/10 people are generally cool with it when I let them know that I'm not register trained and have to send them inside to check out. That 1/10 is always a boomer-aged white man who flips their poo poo over it as if I just ruined their entire life that they can't buy mulch outside, and insist of complaining to the manager.

So, then they gave me register training.

First time I'm on the register, a boomer rolls up with two bags of mulch in a standard sized shopping cart. I log in ready to check him out and I get an error saying I need a new password. I give him my most cheerful "sorry, but I'm getting an error, and I'll need to call someone out here, it might be faster to check out inside." I get the standard boomer entitlement about talking to the manager, so I call.

It takes about 5 minutes, but it seems like 30 because the whole time he's threatening to just steal the mulch so I would have to call the cops and that it would look really good on Facebook, and the company will go out of business. The manager finally shows up, gets into the register has a scanner in hand, and dude just leaves the mulch and runs off like a Skyrim character failing at path-mapping. The manager and I are just standing there like "WTF just happened?"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

E: on that note, peeve is racists who think that anyone with a Hispanic accent is not worthy of talking to because they “don’t speak English!” I worked in food service in high school and I was one of two white people there. Everyone else was Mexican but were all citizens and spoke perfect English, lived in the US for many years, they just had accents. Some jackass called and asked for a manager, who was Mexican. Eventually he was like, CAN I TALK TO SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH?! so they gave the phone to 16 year old me who had no idea about how to deal with angry customers AND I WAS THE ONLY NON-AMERICAN-CITIZEN THERE. The irony was hilarious but also terrible.

Oh yeah. My dad is an immigrant from Italy, moved to the US almost 50 years ago and was a college professor for 35 years. He speaks English fluently and very clearly, he is well-educated and intelligent, but he still has an Italian accent, so ~naturally there are people who hear him speak and then respond loudly and slowly, like he's a toddler or senile.

But joke's on them, because he's become hard of hearing in the past few years, and he says he's now grateful for the condescending talk because it helps him understand the people who usually mumble. :ocelot:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Why do people mumble so much, anyway?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Being hard of hearing sucks rear end if you’re young because nobody believes you and frequently get offended and/ or irritated when you have to ask”what did you say?” multiple times. I tell everyone my hearing sucks when I meet them so it’s not that they are being surprised.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whiz Palace posted:

Saying things clearly and confidently means you can't retroactively tailor your statements based on reception.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's the closest you can come to not saying anything just in case people get mad at you for talking.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

I don’t know man it’s just how I talk. I have kind of a low, monotonal voice too so that makes it worse. I’ve gotten better about it in recent years though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whiz Palace posted:

Sometimes it's lack of confidence, sometimes it's just because they never learned to speak any other way.

Some sort of drama/debate/public speaking class should be mandatory in highschools just so people learn how to talk loud enough.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Iron Crowned posted:

The manager finally shows up, gets into the register has a scanner in hand, and dude just leaves the mulch and runs off like a Skyrim character failing at path-mapping.

I’m sorry you had to deal with that, but this gave me amazing mental images

For content: when co-workers decide to go on their breaks in groups and leave me with just the manager to help me, who then has to go to a meeting leaving me to try to deal with 3 departments on my own

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Butt Detective posted:

For content: when co-workers decide to go on their breaks in groups and leave me with just the manager to help me, who then has to go to a meeting leaving me to try to deal with 3 departments on my own

That sucks but sounds like mis-management to me. Do people have to check in with a supervisor before they take a break? Where I used to work I'd have some of my employees try to take breaks at the same time and I'd laugh and tell them that one of them can take a break and then the next one can go when they get back.

And I have no problem with people mumbling mostly, I accept that that's just how some people talk, but if I've asked you to repeat yourself more than once then please try to put a little more volume in what you are saying to me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Another hearing related peeve of mine is when people learn you're hard of hearing and assume it's because of loud music and lecture you about it. I have two types of tinnitus (normal ringing kind in both ears, plus my pulse in my left ear), neither of which were caused by that or by me. If I'm asking you to repeat yourself and speak up, it's not for my own devious amusement, and you're not teaching me a lesson by not.

Related pet peeve: having two forms of tinnitus.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Dammit, my pet peeve is that I annoy people by being able to hear extremely well. I can hear the smallest of noises for miles. I am convinced there are no people that mumble, only people that haven't realized they're hard of hearing. Everything is loud. Everything on earth, including you and whatever you're doing is too drat loud. I will complain that something you're doing is set to an unreasonable volume in an indignant tone.

I can also read lips and speak basic ASL because my grandfather was mostly deaf so I know it is super irritating that I'm annoyed I can hear. I can't enjoy my weird superpower for all the guilt. And the maddening distant, almost pale and haunting, noises I just can't quite place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

Dammit, my pet peeve is that I annoy people by being able to hear extremely well.

I'm one of those goddamn moron idiot that hears all the sounds electronics make, every vibration from a machine, high-pitched motor whine, etc. It drives me loving nuts, and literally nobody else notices. The other day I was at a cafe, and there must have been a semi truck riding its brakes nearby because this high pneumatic squeal was all I could hear. Nobody else looked up or even appeared irritated. I felt insane.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Brawnfire posted:

I'm one of those goddamn moron idiot that hears all the sounds electronics make, every vibration from a machine, high-pitched motor whine, etc. It drives me loving nuts, and literally nobody else notices. The other day I was at a cafe, and there must have been a semi truck riding its brakes nearby because this high pneumatic squeal was all I could hear. Nobody else looked up or even appeared irritated. I felt insane.

Omg this. I can’t hear certain frequencies, which are what people talk at, but I can hear electronic ones like crazy. I’ll say, hey, your tv is making a high pitched sound, but they can’t hear it and think I’m crazy. It’s a screeching sound when the tv is on mute or even off. I don’t understand it.

Trucks doing poo poo is loud as poo poo even though I’m on the 12th floor with my window closed. Especially the backing-up-beeping. Sometimes I’m surprised like, wtf is that beeping and I think I’m crazy cause the only sound in my house is video games but there’s no beeping, but then look out the window and it’s a truck. It fucks with my head.

You’re not the only one so don’t feel insane.

E: hearing is really weird and the basic poo poo I learned in physics kind of explains it to me but still, why can I hear the noises that electronics make that no one else can hear :psyduck:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Apr 24, 2018

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Yous are making me kinda glad I can't hear for poo poo, I can't imagine how annoying life would be if I could hear electronics.

My mate was over the other day and asked how I cope with the really annoying music coming from next door and I was blissfully unaware :yayclod: (but now I'm worried I annoy people with my TV volume)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Brawnfire posted:

:(:hf::(

What's up, way-too-sensitive-to-noise buddy.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have that but with smells. Everyone uses febreeze on their chairs and it just sticks to my clothes and hair so if I sit down anywhere I have to shower immediately when I get home. Hand soaps are so bad that I take my own soap with me so I don’t have to smell perfume on my hands all day, that stuff does not wash off :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Joburg posted:

I have that but with smells. Everyone uses febreeze on their chairs and it just sticks to my clothes and hair so if I sit down anywhere I have to shower immediately when I get home. Hand soaps are so bad that I take my own soap with me so I don’t have to smell perfume on my hands all day, that stuff does not wash off :(

Febreeze always reminds me of poorly taken care of college dorms and I can't stand the smell to this day. It's not fooling anyone, your apartment still stinks of weed and/or cat piss.

Youtube peeve: loud as gently caress "outro" songs. Everyone seems to do these now and I don't get it, I'm too busy trying to turn the volume down or hammering the back button to look at whatever links you're trying to get me to click. A popular example: daily show clips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Youtube peeve: loud as gently caress "outro" songs. Everyone seems to do these now and I don't get it, I'm too busy trying to turn the volume down or hammering the back button to look at whatever links you're trying to get me to click. A popular example: daily show clips.
I'm pretty sure it's just a complete lack of effort. They don't bother adjusting the audio of their clips, they just slap the pre-prepared outro on the end and upload it, and for whatever reason the volume of the actual clip was much lower than the volume of the outro.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Joburg posted:

I'm the opposite and have an extremely poor sense of smell and it's a pet peeve purely because I have no idea what's up with my nose

I can taste things perfectly fine, but unless something's extremely strong/right up to my nose (and even then it's not a guarantee), I can't smell it. It's good in that I couldn't smell my stepsister's old dog's farts and can't smell anything when I'm on the butchery/fish department at work, but bad in that I've burnt food before because I couldn't smell it burning.

That being said, I can almost always smell food cooking. Maybe I just have a selective sense of smell? :shrug: Honestly it doesn't bother me too much, I just want to know what's up.

King of Foolians posted:

That sucks but sounds like mis-management to me. Do people have to check in with a supervisor before they take a break? Where I used to work I'd have some of my employees try to take breaks at the same time and I'd laugh and tell them that one of them can take a break and then the next one can go when they get back.

My manager tends to be one of the ones joining the group going on their break, so she enables it unfortunately. Thankfully being left on my own doesn't happen too often, but it's annoying when it does.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a complete lack of effort. They don't bother adjusting the audio of their clips, they just slap the pre-prepared outro on the end and upload it, and for whatever reason the volume of the actual clip was much lower than the volume of the outro.

High volume media in general. When the media is loud, you have less difference between the the parts of the audio that are naturally louder or quiet. So you get a less crisp, muddied sound. I have a volume knob on my speakers. If I want it louder, I'll turn it up.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Joburg posted:

Same here, and everything seems to be scented - soaps, lotions, cleaners, detergents, etc. Fabric softner gives me an instant headache.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

Same here, and everything seems to be scented - soaps, lotions, cleaners, detergents, etc. Fabric softner gives me an instant headache.

We started using unscented detergent because our neighbors use something that smells like a mall candle store and it blasted out of their dryer vent so often we stopped associating scents with cleanliness and started associating it with lovely neighbors instead.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mu Zeta posted:

My parents are green card permanent residents and I'm jealous. They pretty much have all the same rights as me while also never doing jury duty. They just can't vote.

How'd they swing that? I'm a green card holder and had to register for jury duty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They get a summons like once every 5 years and they just check the box saying they are green card residents and they are off the list.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

They get a summons like once every 5 years and they just check the box saying they are green card residents and they are off the list.

poo poo, do you think a natural born citizen can get away with that? I'm asking for a friend

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. I think they had to show up the first time with proof of their green card.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Luckily there are many tricks for getting out of jury duty.

For instance, where I live juries are selected on a weekly basis and once they've filled that week's needs everybody else is off the hook for jury duty. So instead of claiming to be on vacation or whatever you just reschedule your jury duty for a Friday and your chances of needing to show up are drastically reduced. Just call the 800 number the night before and they say you're not needed so don't bother coming in. I'm sure this isn't 100% effective, but it's worked a couple times for me.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone announcing that they wont make it/dont feel like it at the last second. If you tell me in advance, I can plan around it and get poo poo done or hang out with someone else. If you dont, I made someone take my shift for nothing.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Apr 25, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminds me of when some friends in school invited me to go see a movie. They never showed so I wound up watching it alone. Cat in the Hat in an empty theatre. It was terrible, but I had fun, was just annoyed I got ditched.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Butt Detective posted:

I'm the opposite and have an extremely poor sense of smell and it's a pet peeve purely because I have no idea what's up with my nose

I can taste things perfectly fine, but unless something's extremely strong/right up to my nose (and even then it's not a guarantee), I can't smell it.///

I had a friend for many years with a similar poor sense of smell problem. It was one of his pet peeves. He hated all smells. If he could smell it, it made him mad. He was OK with food smells, but if he smelled complicated smells like hot metal or newly cut maple, he would lose his mind about it. Especially perfume or cologne.

We worked together for a summer 50 feet away from a steaming 20 foot tall pile of turkey poo poo and it never bothered him. But God help you if something smelled like fresh tomatoes or fabric softener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve thought that maybe my smell issue is a sort of sensory processing disorder. A lot of the signs are there.

My other sensory related peeve is the seam of my sock. Very annoying!