Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think it's been talked about before in these threads but I forget the answer:

Why do non-founder pops always grow slower? I have a snailien immigrant pop who is growing at a base 1, + 1.58 from food surplus, +10% from genome mapping, +10% from cloning, +25% from harmony traditions, +20% from healthcare campaigns edict, +20% from gene clinic for a grand total of.... +0.56 per month???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Shugojin posted:

Why do non-founder pops always grow slower? I have a snailien immigrant pop who is growing at a base 1, + 1.58 from food surplus, +10% from genome mapping, +10% from cloning, +25% from harmony traditions, +20% from healthcare campaigns edict, +20% from gene clinic for a grand total of.... +0.56 per month???

You're giving your own people the additions, instead of immigrants. You're not pumping the snaliens full of your exotic drugs that keep your people alive.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Shibawanko posted:

I can't be assed to figure out what the different little weapons and shield modules do so I just set them on autocomplete and pump out ships randomly until I get big numbers. I wish there was more incentive to create specialized ships and more ways to learn what difference all the little weapons really make because I have no clue and it doesn't seem to add much to the game as it is.

I think it adds enough to be worthwhile. It definitely doesn't add much if you don't do it, though!

It's more worthwhile for empires who by nature or preference don't have huge mineral income or land holdings; having the tactical advantage means a pretty decent amount, but if you ARE in a position to just pump out a ton of ships, you might as well not bother.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there's plenty of nuance to the combat system, but if you don't engage with it it's not obvious i guess. corvette swarms aren't always going to come out on top, and weapon choice does matter.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The AI tends to field balanced ships as well which reduces interaction. If certain AI types focused more on certain designs (or techs) more counterplay would exist, but currently it really only comes into play with FEs or endgame crisis. Sword of the Stars 1 was pretty effective with this, as tech weighting gave different defenses for different races.

Also if you want to gently caress someone over with corvette swarms anything that gives -disengage can really do wonders. Black hole systems have a hefty penalty (can't recall off hand, maybe 50%?), there is also a starbase module (-20%) and a titan aura (-20%). Additionally high alpha damage weapons are useful, arc emitters are a bit low on effective accuracy but they'll 1-shot corvettes (75% accuracy with end game loadout), but cloud lighting can hit pretty well (85% against 90% evasion corvettes with only advanced combat computers and level 4 sensors).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shugojin posted:

Only one pop at a time receives the +1 base. The base for any other growing pops is greatly reduced, to ensure that multi-species setups aren't massively superior to single species. I don't think it's restricted to founder pops, though it may prefer to give the bias to a founder pop.

Baronjutter posted:

The entire combat system would be better if it was faster. The problem is that range is pretty meaningless because 95% of a battle's time will be at close range. If combat used a more abstracted model with say, 3 phases, a long range, medium range, and close phase, then range could matter and ship design could matter. Or even if weapons did a lot more damage or fired much faster so that battles are over by the time you get to close range.

The problem though, like many problems in stellaris, is one that they are stuck with a really bad initial core design. In previous paradox games the armies you were moving around on the screen were abstracted, you didn't actually see 20,000 little pikemen running from one province to the next. This means that a military unit's strategic movement was separate from its tactical in-combat movement, the two didn't really relate to each other. Stellaris made a huge mistake by trying to make the local system maps big RTS battle maps as well as the primary method of strategic movement. This has forced them into a lovely situation where they can't balance in-combat movement speeds without messing up out of combat movement speeds because it's the same thing.

If Stellaris used a more traditional paradox map game system where systems were like provinces you could have a more typical abstracted combat system. Two enemy fleets are in the same system? A combat happens! Now you can tweak how this combat works to your heart's content. You can create a system where small ships are hard to hit but limited to mostly short range weapons, but if the enemy has enough long range high accuracy power they could kill the tiny ships before they ever got into range. Basically you could play with how fast ships get into the short range brawls that dominate the current system. But with the current system you can't really do this, they tried in the past but people would complain that "when my ships get into combat they suddenly slow to a crawl!!" and that was indeed very frustrating. So why not just increase the fire rate? Let long range weapons have an actual advantage by giving them time to get a quite a few shots off, let medium weapons get a few shots off, all before small weapons ever come into range. Wouldn't that work? It would, but it would make combat over very very quickly, which would eliminate any chance of getting ships even from a neighbouring system in to help.

Much like tiles have painted stellaris into a corner in regards to the AI and economic/population scaling, the RTS system maps have painted the game into a corner regarding in-combat movement and weapon range balance.

I think abstracting things off the map or into phases is entirely the wrong direction, that would only make it give you even less feedback than you get now. You're right that range needs to be brought back somehow to avoid every combat being short range swarms though, but fixing the range ships try to engage at probably solves a lot of those problems. Ships never, ever try to withdraw from combat short of FTL, which is really strange. If ships were set up to try and preserve the range by moving away from the enemy, big ships with a long range would matter.

Distant Worlds did this, and it was great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

PittTheElder posted:

Only one pop at a time receives the +1 base. The base for any other growing pops is greatly reduced, to ensure that multi-species setups aren't massively superior to single species. I don't think it's restricted to founder pops, though it may prefer to give the bias to a founder pop.

Oh, that makes sense. I was just waiting for that snailien pop to grow so I could move the one other pop it was growing from to another planet and get the 10 species on 1 planet egalitarian achievement so I was feeling antsy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Combat doesn't appear to have area effect weapons?

Space nukes with AOE would solve some people's corvette swarm problems real fast.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

IAmTheRad posted:

You're giving your own people the additions, instead of immigrants. You're not pumping the snaliens full of your exotic drugs that keep your people alive.

Pop growth is divided up proportionally based on the number of pre-existing pops.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah that's another HUGE point in favour of corvettes, their on-map travel speeds are so much higher and speed/response time is so much more important now.

I wonder if it'd work to implement acceleration and top-speed over a much longer period for big ships. Corvettes would still be way more maneuverable and good at flitting here and there, but it would be nice if after like, 3 jumps into a steady route battleships would become just as fast, with that speed immediately lost on a route change or combat. It would make cross-galaxy movement less tedious without making big fleets overly flexible, like a base speed increase would.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

pmchem posted:

Combat doesn't appear to have area effect weapons?

Space nukes with AOE would solve some people's corvette swarm problems real fast.

Traditional AOE doesn’t work in space very well - it’s a vacuum so shockwaves basically don’t have any effect. Explosions, energy pulses and shrapnel lose intensity really quickly in a 3D space with a little distance and would waste 99% of their efficiency.

Something like a larger missile loaded with heaps of close range swarmer missiles, or loaded with one-shot overcharged PD lasers might sort of work?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If you have AoE attacks, you need some way to control how densely packed your ships are and an advantage to not just being as sparse as possible. I don't think that's going to work well in this game.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If they added a chaining effect to the higher level disruptors and cloud lightning that'd give them a really nice boost.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Goffer posted:

Traditional AOE doesn’t work in space very well - it’s a vacuum so shockwaves basically don’t have any effect. Explosions, energy pulses and shrapnel lose intensity really quickly in a 3D space with a little distance and would waste 99% of their efficiency.

Something like a larger missile loaded with heaps of close range swarmer missiles, or loaded with one-shot overcharged PD lasers might sort of work?

Well, for one thing, consider the EMP effect as your AOE. Certainly that's a thing in space. Drops off with distance but what AOE effect doesn't in reality? Shrapnel would be better in space than in atmosphere because you'd lose less KE to air resistance / drag. It's vidya games, they have AOE.

GunnerJ posted:

If you have AoE attacks, you need some way to control how densely packed your ships are and an advantage to not just being as sparse as possible. I don't think that's going to work well in this game.

Sure, add more formation AI's. "Dispersed" instead of current "Ball" or "Swarm" approaches. There's a lot of ways to handle this.

ZypherIM posted:

If they added a chaining effect to the higher level disruptors and cloud lightning that'd give them a really nice boost.

Yup, yet another viable AOE approach. There's lots of ways to do this that could affect corvettes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Another option would be adding the possibility for a weapon to miss the intended target, but hit another. A battleship fires a laser at a corvette; it misses the one it was aiming at, but maybe it hits one behind it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Another option would be adding the possibility for a weapon to miss the intended target, but hit another. A battleship fires a laser at a corvette; it misses the one it was aiming at, but maybe it hits one behind it.

yup, or bonus weapon types vs corvettes, like flak cannons or point defense. Similar effect as what you described, greater odds to inflict damage with a shot because flak barriers (think Battlestar Galactica) are laying fields of fire.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Goffer posted:

Hmm, yes I'm very concerned about realism in this game where 20 species all develop FTL at the same exact time and people shoot mindlasers at other people.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

pmchem posted:

Well, for one thing, consider the EMP effect as your AOE. Certainly that's a thing in space. Drops off with distance but what AOE effect doesn't in reality? Shrapnel would be better in space than in atmosphere because you'd lose less KE to air resistance / drag. It's vidya games, they have AOE.

There's no EMP, that's caused by gamma radiation and it's interaction with the atmosphere . A nuke in space is basically just light and radiation, both things that ships already have ample protection from, because space is already full of radiation.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Goffer posted:

There's no EMP, that's caused by gamma radiation and it's interaction with the atmosphere . A nuke in space is basically just light and radiation, both things that ships already have ample protection from, because space is already full of radiation.

I don't really want to debate the nuances of the actual physics in a video game thread. Yes, the effects are _different_ in space. But there is a large amount of energy released in the form of radiation. You know, electromagnetic waves. Use your imagination and it could negative affect Stellaris corvettes that don't have enough shielding to deal with close-range nukes. Here, enjoy this quote from NASA:

quote:

A yield of 20 kilotons has been used here as an example to show the dominance of nuclear radiation effects in space; however, it may well be that multimegaton warheads, rather than 20-kiloton warheads, will be far more representative of space defense applications. With such weapons the lethal radii (from nuclear radiation) in space may be of the order of hundreds of miles. The meaning of such huge lethal radii in possible future space warfare cannot now be assessed. It does seem clear, however, that manned space combat vehicles, unless heavy shielding is feasible, will be considerably more vulnerable to nuclear defense weapons than their unmanned counterparts.

https://history.nasa.gov/conghand/nuclear.htm

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In space, a guided nuclear weapon is the probably the most efficient way to get a large amount of extremely energetic plasma very close to your target.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I've also found that bringing bigger guns means I feel my own losses more. One of the main reasons I switched over to corvette spam in my anti-contingency fleets was because bringing in the battleships + titan meant that my losses always took too long to replace (especially that titan which always seemed to be the first to go).

If your battleships get toasted then your fleet comp is garbage. Usually i lose destroyers and maybe a cruiser.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really hope this patch overhauls diplomacy :pray: Exploration is really cool but it's lower on my list of reasons I like this game

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GorfZaplen posted:

I really hope this patch overhauls diplomacy :pray: Exploration is really cool but it's lower on my list of reasons I like this game

Exploration in this game is already pretty fuckin solid in my opinion. Hell, early-game exploration has always been the best part of Stellaris, to me. Which is why I want patches to focus more on AI issues, particularly adding more meaningful "personalities" to AI (and obviously fixing the broken AI)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say that I'm glad Stellaris doesn't have the 'make demands, lower opinion if refused' style AI diplomacy that seems to be real loving popular with all the other 4X style games. It's incredibly lovely when AI can and is actively encouraged to basically try to extort you in games like Endless Space or Sins of a Solar Empire, or the Civ games, rather than setting up trades if they like you enough or desperately need something. Hell even your allies tend to constantly demand poo poo in those other games.

"Greetings, powerful ally who's been protecting us for years. Give us thousands of dollars within 5 days or we'll stop liking you."

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 25, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
The starting missiles in this game are nuclear. Just getting that out there.

But on the note of AOE, ever heard of the Little Doctor Device? :v:

Black Pants posted:

I gotta say that I'm glad Stellaris doesn't have the 'make demands, lower opinion if refused' style AI diplomacy that seems to be real loving popular with all the other 4X style games. It's incredibly lovely when AI can and is actively encouraged to basically try to extort you in games like Endless Space or Sins of a Solar Empire, or the Civ games, rather than setting up trades if they like you enough or desperately need something. Hell even your allies tend to constantly demand poo poo in those other games.

"Greetings, powerful ally who's been protecting us for years. Give us thousands of dollars within 5 days or we'll stop liking you."

It does if you're in a federation. One member will spam requests to declare war on someone, and every time you say no you get an opinion malus.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

pmchem posted:

yup, or bonus weapon types vs corvettes, like flak cannons or point defense. Similar effect as what you described, greater odds to inflict damage with a shot because flak barriers (think Battlestar Galactica) are laying fields of fire.

Flak is actually a viable weapon against ships in it's own right, even in Stellaris. The fast fire rate and tracking means it's competitive in terms of damage dealt. And a Flak corvette isn't necessarily giving up anything, because you still have 2 small weapon slots for a mass driver/autocannon and laser/plasma.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In regards to the battle discussion, the new battle system really makes titans a decisive force in large ship combat. Their perdition beam can one-shot almost every other ship in the game, making it so they never get a chance to disengage, they go from 100-75% health to dead in a single shot. I got to experience this firsthand when my force of 95k went against an awakened fallen empire's homeworld defense station, which had multiple ion cannons. In seconds half my battleships were one-shotted and the rest of my fleet got picked apart due to that. Definitely focus on bringing lots of small, cheaper ships to fights involving titans and ion cannon defense systems. I tend to include 4-5 corvettes for every one cruiser and battleship.

Also, I just had the first unique end to the infinity machine quest I've seen in half a dozen encounters, it completed the equation and then took a nosedive right into the black hole. Weirdly anticlimactic and goofy, especially since the new stats were useless due to it being on the entire other side of the galaxy from me :v:

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I'm playing the new beta patch, whatever is latest as of tonight, with an ironman achievement game.

I've bought one art monument, and was able to build it. But I've paid them for 2 more, and they simply don't show up on the list of things to build for my 2nd planet.

Is this a known issue, or something new to the beta?

Edit: Uhhh... yeah. Just ignore this. I'm not drinking, nor am I high, but I found the one on my second planet. I think it may be time to go to bed now... :-P

Gekkoh fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 25, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

In regards to the battle discussion, the new battle system really makes titans a decisive force in large ship combat. Their perdition beam can one-shot almost every other ship in the game, making it so they never get a chance to disengage, they go from 100-75% health to dead in a single shot. I got to experience this firsthand when my force of 95k went against an awakened fallen empire's homeworld defense station, which had multiple ion cannons. In seconds half my battleships were one-shotted and the rest of my fleet got picked apart due to that. Definitely focus on bringing lots of small, cheaper ships to fights involving titans and ion cannon defense systems. I tend to include 4-5 corvettes for every one cruiser and battleship.

Also, I just had the first unique end to the infinity machine quest I've seen in half a dozen encounters, it completed the equation and then took a nosedive right into the black hole. Weirdly anticlimactic and goofy, especially since the new stats were useless due to it being on the entire other side of the galaxy from me :v:

Yeah i'm a way bigger fan of big ships since artillery-equipped ones can destroy the poo poo out of things in one or two hits, and you can equip a battleship with 4 of them and an X slot. They also stay out of range of most stuff. I think the biggest mistake folks that don't like them do is they try to equip them for other roles, which is a waste. Don't even use the carrier sections for PD - a destroyer is a more efficient vehicle for PD.

If you don't like big ships, at least use artillery destroyers. They can still fit a single neutron launcher or kinetic battery. Launchers can do up to 1000 damage and get big bonus to hull and armor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is Flak useless at the moment? I've been using Flak destroyers but they don't seem to intercept very many missiles. I know that in 1.9 Flak was significantly better than the basic PD for both missiles and strike craft.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

binge crotching posted:

Is Flak useless at the moment? I've been using Flak destroyers but they don't seem to intercept very many missiles. I know that in 1.9 Flak was significantly better than the basic PD for both missiles and strike craft.

Flak isn't useless but one or two ships with it isn't enough. I usually outfit my destroyers with 1x flak and 2x barrier PD, since missiles seem more common than fighter use.

This combination worked extremely well for taking on the prethoryn, so i consider it my go to now since prethoryn are almost all missile/strike craft

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy moly, the contingency arrived right as an awakened fallen empire declared war on me, causing the caretaker fallen empire to go haywire and ALSO attack me. Literally the only good thing about any of this is that it didn't require claims to take over any of their systems, I could just blitz through them and drop 5000 army strength on their worlds and steamroll their armies without stopping. As a consequence of this, by the time I finished mopping up the malfunctioning caretakers and awakened xenophobes who planet cracked one of their own planets I had taken just to spite me apparently(I was SO CLOSE to getting the Stay On Target achievement :argh: ) the three contingency factories outside my empire had mustered about 1.5 million fleet strength all together. Whenever they plan on making 500 the fleet command cap, that'll be nice, since otherwise I need to have a big pile of 8 or so "small" fleets(40-75k with max equipment) to take on these quarter million strength contingency home fleets. :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Bugs we have experienced in our MP game:

1) A spiritualist xenophile empire achieved psionic transcendence, which was somehow communicated to a completely different gestalt consciousness rogue servitor empire causing them to have psychic robot leaders.
2) The spiritualist xenophile empire in turn had their leaders changed into the gestalt consciousness, causing all organic pops in their empire to start undergoing assimilation.
3) The xenophobe FE then awakened with ~20k fleet power total, expanding to two empty star systems before the Contingency struck and completely annihilated them.

:stellaris:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sloober posted:

Flak isn't useless but one or two ships with it isn't enough. I usually outfit my destroyers with 1x flak and 2x barrier PD, since missiles seem more common than fighter use.

This combination worked extremely well for taking on the prethoryn, so i consider it my go to now since prethoryn are almost all missile/strike craft

How many destroyers did you have in your fleets? Were they mixed-comp fleets, or did you have a dedicated destroyer PD fleet?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Spanish Matlock posted:

1) A spiritualist xenophile empire achieved psionic transcendence, which was somehow communicated to a completely different gestalt consciousness rogue servitor empire causing them to have psychic robot leaders.
2) The spiritualist xenophile empire in turn had their leaders changed into the gestalt consciousness, causing all organic pops in their empire to start undergoing assimilation.
3) The xenophobe FE then awakened with ~20k fleet power total, expanding to two empty star systems before the Contingency struck and completely annihilated them.

Also the complete lack of leviathans, refugees that never left their planet even after it became uninhabitable, a pacifistic AI empire with a single rebel planet bisecting them for the entirety of the game, rebels being vassalized and continuing to be rebels, and probably other weird stuff involving rebels but that was on the other side of the galaxy.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Spanish Matlock posted:

Just reminds me of :ccp:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spanish Matlock posted:

The xenophobe FE awakened in the middle of my empire, took a bunch of stuff, I took a bunch of stuff back, and then they planet-cracked their own drat planet I had occupied. Then once the war was over I discovered they had used a wormhole to expand hugely on the entire other side of the galaxy, consuming a good 8th of the entire galactic map over there(it was all formerly crystal and amoeba territory so nobody had expanded into it yet). But they only had two planets there so when I went to invade it once those went down the rest of it just poofed into nothing again :smug:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Captain Invictus posted:

The xenophobe FE awakened in the middle of my empire, took a bunch of stuff, I took a bunch of stuff back, and then they planet-cracked their own drat planet I had occupied.

Well, what else are you supposed to do with a planet that the filthy xenos have defiled with their presence? It's not like they could keep living on it anymore.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Regarding combat, I'd like to see ships, especially smaller vessels like corvettes and destroyers, have lower cruising speeds than in-combat speed. Just like how real warships don't go full speed all the time because of the strain on the engines - this could open up a niche for cruisers as raiders and rapid-reaction forces, with higher cruising speeds than both smaller and larger ships. I'd also like to see more variety of weapon effects, like inflicting debuffs, DoTs, and having firing patterns other than firing once and then reloading. Let me have real swarms of missiles, not just a single missile with lots of HP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've just gotten into this and I've got a game to the point where I have cruisers and destroyers but I'm feeling like it's a bit stagnant? Like I keep doing the same stuff and building the same things. I've killed off a neighbour and I'm gonna go to war with another dude but I don't really feel like there's much new stuff to do. I think I'm probably just missing some things and don't really know how to play.

I don't have any DLC either