Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

redleader posted:

Finally launched a rocket, netting myself Lazy bastard, Logistic network embargo, Raining bullets, and Steam all the way. Not being able to use logistic bots was surprisingly annoying and meant I had to manually run around keeping pillboxes supplied with ammo, run some nasty belts to ship in materials for rare items, etc.

I last played in 0.12 or 0.13, back when the victory condition was to build the rocket defense and the most complicated science pack was blue science. The biggest difference is holy poo poo, you need so much more iron for midgame science. There are also a couple more annoying recipes that require you to ship materials to odd places contrary to the usual 'flow' of resources (think of things like concrete needing iron ore, liquid processing needing iron and coal, ...).

Never bothered messing around with nuclear power, only did lovely point-to-point trains for some resources, and massively undersized my bus.

Biters are still boring to deal with and way too numerous, even with tanks and artillery. Artillery is fun though.

For my next game, I'm torn between either doing a rail-heavy game (maybe with some QOL or other minor mods), or Seablock. What sort of settings are good for a railworld? Is vanilla terrain generation good enough for BIG TRAIN GAME, or is RSO still needed?

Also, why aren't there nuclear artillery shells?

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/SirDoombox/AtomicArtillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Seablock brings back the estactic wonder you feel the first time you play factorio and is a great introduction to Bob's Angel's

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gay Hitler posted:

Seablock brings back the estactic wonder you feel the first time you play factorio and is a great introduction to Bob's Angel's

It will also cause you to disregard the real world, and sap entire days of your life!

Ask me how I know!

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

They should really do something about the seablock early game though. With the landfill bug fixed in 0.16, you now need 4x the landfill you did in previous versions(which is what it seemed to be balanced around). The early game is real painful.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 22, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Seablock always sounded to me like Factorio's answer to Gregtech. One of these days I'll try it anyway.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Just won my first game, trying for steam (nukes) only and logistics network embargo on a death world. I ended up making lots of train fed artillery emplacements to keep bases from respawning under my massive pollution cloud - whether that was actually effective compared to just making artillery wagons hit the same rail stops on a regular basis I don't know. Dropping down a new outpost blueprint and seeing the bodies pile up from all the biters attacking into the teeth of my laser turrets was fun though.

Also, it's nice being able to send a salvo of 40 shells at a random base outside the automatic fire range by just clicking wildly and seeing them speed in from every angle.

(If you look closely at the bottom you can see one of the outposts taking a potshot at what I assume was a worm)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Reverend Dr posted:

They should really do something about the seablock early game though. With the landfill bug fixed in 0.16, you now need 4x the landfill you did in previous versions(which is what it seemed to be balanced around). The early game is real painful.
I just started a seablock game and I got to inserters in about 15 mins. I think they significantly smoothed the start. I d/led the zip from the forums, where you start with I think 900ish landfill. This is with starting materials only having to build cellulose and I was able to tech up to science labs which give you inserters and "starts" the game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 22, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

redleader posted:

For my next game, I'm torn between either doing a rail-heavy game (maybe with some QOL or other minor mods), or Seablock. What sort of settings are good for a railworld? Is vanilla terrain generation good enough for BIG TRAIN GAME, or is RSO still needed?

Railworld is fine. RSO is still better because RSO does better resource patch scaling so that you don't have to set up new stops as often once you push further out.

Bhodi posted:

I just started a seablock game and I got to inserters in about 15 mins. I think they significantly smoothed the start. I d/led the zip from the forums, where you start with I think 900ish landfill. This is with starting materials only having to build cellulose and I was able to tech up to science labs which give you inserters and "starts" the game.

That's a lot smoother start than what I remember.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Newbie question: I've gone through quite a bit of the green+red research, and the next tier requires blue science but I don't have the recipe for crafting that, and I don't know where to proceed/focus on from here on. Suggestions?

Additionally, is there a writeup or video somewhere with stuff to focus on/general to do list during the early/mid/late game?

Thirdly, So far I've found 2 oil fields, one with 132% yield and another with ~320% yield, are these good deposits or should I continue scouting for better fields to plop down the first oil mining operation?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

If you cant make blue science then start researching everything you can until you can make blue science.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

double nine posted:

Newbie question: I've gone through quite a bit of the green+red research, and the next tier requires blue science but I don't have the recipe for crafting that, and I don't know where to proceed/focus on from here on. Suggestions?
Blue science is unlocked by electronics. The link has an image of what that looks like (right side).

double nine posted:

Thirdly, So far I've found 2 oil fields, one with 132% yield and another with ~320% yield, are these good deposits or should I continue scouting for better fields to plop down the first oil mining operation?
Yes. That's enough to start. You'll want more soon regardless. The simplest and quickest way to bring in more is with underground pipes. Trains are better, but they're also more complicated than underground pipes.

Oil patches never go away like ore does, they just give less and less overtime until they hit a very low floor so you'll want to tap everything you see pretty much.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's a search bar in the research view. Search for "science" and it will show you which research things unlock a science pack. I believe blue science (science pack 3?) is unlocked by Electronics 2, the one with red circuits.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oil also diminishes over time to a minimum pumping rate, but never goes below that rate. So hook those deposits up ASAP and store extra oil in tanks until you have the processing capability for it. Having big buffers of any material is usually discouraged but you should be able to save up enough to get by until you find some bigger wells.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Bhodi posted:

Keep going, the problem I'm talking about starts after you exhaust your starting landfill/materials/power.

It wasn't that progress wasn't being made, it was that it was being made so slowly and there just wasn't much of anything that could be done by the player to speed it up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just how many (stone) smelters can be supplied by a yellow belt that's 50% coal and 50% copper/iron/stone?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Always be checking the Factorio Cheat Sheet. Looks like 24 stone furnaces for a yellow half belt. (Also technically you don't need a 50:50 mix of ore to coal, more like 10:1, but if you're that deep into your math you probably have needs beyond yellow belts.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

double nine posted:

just how many (stone) smelters can be supplied by a yellow belt that's 50% coal and 50% copper/iron/stone?

* time of the recipe (stone/iron/copper = 3.5)
* speed of the furnace (stone furnace = 1)
* belt items per second (yellow = 13.3/s)

(recipe time / furnace speed) * belt items per second = number of furnaces

If one lane is coal and the other your resource, cut the belt items per second in half. If you're mixing stone/iron/copper you're on your own.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC it's 24.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

double nine posted:

23 and a third. One lane of a belt carries 6.66 items per second, and a single stone smelter takes 3.5 seconds to smelt an ore.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Reverend Dr posted:

Creating landfill is easy and not painful. Just grabbing excess crushed stone and making landfill by hand I have more space than I can use in the first hour.

I think you just arent crushing enough slag bro

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Reverend Dr posted:

Keep going, the problem I'm talking about starts after you exhaust your starting landfill/materials/power.

It wasn't that progress wasn't being made, it was that it was being made so slowly and there just wasn't much of anything that could be done by the player to speed it up.
Yep, I ran into what you're talking about. Some of it appears to be moderated/tweaked a bit with seablock 0.2.7 but it is still a little slower compared to regular bobs.

The problem is chiefly about power generation. You're only given 1.4MW of power generation at the start. That's enough to power a basic 2 electrolyser/crusher/crystallizer combo to give you a trickle of ore and a support 2 science labs which is enough to research up most red science pack items. You also need to make landfill, which you can do with another 2 electrolyser/crusher combo but each one of those is 700kW and since you can't run that AND your ore making AND your red research you have to pick 2 out of 3. To get more slag, you need more electrolysers and the only way to power them is to make charcoal from green algae at algae farms, each of which needs some of that slag byproduct and some charcoal to feed back into the process as co2. Plus, it has to be researched.

HOWEVER, the latest seablock tweaked the algae farms to be less power intensive and make the charcoal (renamed from coke) producing loop more efficient to help ameliorate the power issue. So, once you've bootstrapped researched basic research (~3-4 hrs?) you can start chipping away at the problem.

Researching coal processing gets you carbon which is a 30% increase in MJ from charcoal. Researching basic washing gets you a seafloor pump + 5 washing stations and will produce 1 landfill tile every 5 seconds (~700kW) which is more efficient than the 2 electrolyser/crusher process (~900kW) (2x 30kW flare stacks can be shared, both require ~100mW in inserters). My ratios aren't quite correct but it seems like each algae farm chain uses ~500kW of power and produces twice that. Upgrading to sorting gives ore gives efficiency increases, and once you've got a few algae farms you can upgrade to slag slurry for more. Not sure how much more, I haven't done the math on it and am in the process of making the slurry right now. I eyeballed the metalurgy line and it's not efficient in either space or energy until you can do strand casting.

Basically, it's still fairly slow but not cripplingly so. You can always leave it running for an hour or whatever. If I was to restart I'd probably get to where I was in the last screenshot and let it run for an hour or two to build up a bit of landfill breathing room. Getting to green science is a challenge, I don't even want to think about how I'm going to get past it. It may be too autistic for me and oil is roughly where I stopped the last time I tried bob angel.

If someone DOES do seablock, be aware your starting green circuits should be for two hydro plants. You need it for the slurry loop, one for cleaning sulfuric waste water and one for water purification. Anything else (like fast inserters) is a giant trap.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 23, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I started my seablock game on the last version and ran into the trap of building more algae farms and electrolyzers to make more charcoal to make enough power to run my new algae farms and electrolyzers. It was pretty bad, I think you ended up spending something like 70% or 80% of your new power production on itself.

Once I hit carbon (and later on enriched fuel) the whole problem disappeared, but it used to be brutal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nevets posted:

I started my seablock game on the last version and ran into the trap of building more algae farms and electrolyzers to make more charcoal to make enough power to run my new algae farms and electrolyzers. It was pretty bad, I think you ended up spending something like 70% or 80% of your new power production on itself.

Once I hit carbon (and later on enriched fuel) the whole problem disappeared, but it used to be brutal.
Yeah, my rough math said this is down to 50% or so. It seemed to gather a lot of complaints and so they tweaked it.

Does anyone who's deep into it have a list of seablock tips like "ignore brown algae, go straight for the green algae charcoal loop until you get solar power" and "use those starting green circuits on hydro plants" because I'm 100% certain I'm going to stumble into traps that are going to make me frustrated enough to quit the game again. Or like, an efficiency / production cheat sheet? I have a few written down like "Cellulose>Methanol>Propene>Plastic" and "If you already have some aluminium and silver ore, then Methanol from CO2 + Hydrogen + Green Metal Catalysts produces twice the amount and is much smaller" for plastic that I've pulled from random googling.

I already fell into one trap trying to figure out how to fuel my boilers before I discovered green algae; I found 'desert garden' and looked it up in the tool and found about the arboretum which produces wood, but the tool doesn't really show what buildings produce, so I thought I could get wood out of it and I couldn't yet because I need green science stuff and material chains I don't possess (compost)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 23, 2018

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I forget where you have to get to be able to do it in seablock but upgrading your boilers and steam engines makes the green algae power loop a lot more productive. And if you are thinking of letting it run on its own for a while you could always up the game speed a bit.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Bhodi posted:

Yep, I ran into what you're talking about. Some of it appears to be moderated/tweaked a bit with seablock 0.2.7 but it is still a little slower compared to regular bobs...

Welp, all of that is good news. I double checked and I was on 2.1 and at least in that version it was awful slow even consoling the game speed to 10x. I'll have to pick up that game again when I get the time.

I had done a lot of the research to tech up, but ran into issues with needing new machines, the space for the machines, and the power for the machines. I will be real happy when I can finally get a solid power loop solution and ditch those wind turbines.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Bhodi posted:

Does anyone who's deep into it have a list of seablock tips like "ignore brown algae, go straight for the green algae charcoal loop until you get solar power" and "use those starting green circuits on hydro plants" because I'm 100% certain I'm going to stumble into traps that are going to make me frustrated enough to quit the game again.

I found solar to be too expensive. I used the plant farms things to make fuel oil which can be combined with carbon or charcoal (I forget which) or used by itself with some more research to make very energy efficient & dense solid fuels. That & some boiler / steam engine efficiency improvements lasted me until I got nuclear power. The bonus with this route is you can re-purpose the electrolyzers and plant farms into making slag for mineral slurry and oil product precursors once you don't need them for power production anymore.
Obsolete solar panels will sit unused until you need them at endgame for the spaceship. I looked at the diesel generators but couldn't see any clear advantage going that route, especially when I already had a boiler / steam engine infrastructure setup.

Make some sniper turrets ASAP. The basic ones outrange small and medium worms and with a few upgrades even the large ones. With how expensive grenades are to make I can't imagine clearing more than a couple nests suing traditional methods.

Once you have a little bit of leeway in materials & power gen definitely setup some resource buffers and circuit alarm them so you know when you are overconsuming. A whole bunch of times I overexpanded on something and then ran low on power when I eventually ate up my backlog of fuel off the boiler supply belt. The brownout killed my fuel production and turned into a full on blackout. Normally not so bad, but an early-midgame Seablock factory is very compact so it's hard to selectively disconnect power to certain areas without tearing up whole fields of poles. Plus the fuel production chain is a dozen steps long so the lag time to restart it from scratch is 5 or 10 minutes.

I extended the crushed stone supply belts in my algae farms a bit so anything that wasn't grabbed up by the liquifiers would go on to a couple assemblers making landfill. That way whenever your power needs dip down the electrolysers wouldn't sit idle and I almost always had a couple chests full of landfill ready for expansion. You can do this with slag production for ore creation too, but I was almost never overproducing ore.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So I hope the new folks who were posting us their hilarious sushi belts :allears: come back, and in the spirit of that, I found this screenshoot from like 2.5 years ago when I was new to factorio and made crazy rear end sushi belts:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

chairface posted:

So I hope the new folks who were posting us their hilarious sushi belts :allears: come back, and in the spirit of that, I found this screenshoot from like 2.5 years ago when I was new to factorio and made crazy rear end sushi belts:

Where's the sushi belt?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Dr. Stab posted:

Where's the sushi belt?

What isn't? He has five loops going on there.

I've been following the Nilaus youtube series V15 Vanilla Done Right, and making my base trying to use his guidance. Generally I try to make it myself, then watch him do it and realize just how poor my solution was, then try to fix it. He makes good points on how to keep your base from getting spaghettified, but I have to admit that I'm not following his rules and it's slowly happening. At least I'm keeping my main bus clear.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've always found myself enjoying the game a whole lot more when efficiency gets thrown out the window and instead turning to the true way of JustBuildMore. Also marathon AngelBob's. But that's probably just masochism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the first couple dozen hours are a heap of fun because you're just problem solving what's in front of you. Waiting for some research to unlock or trying to get more raw materials into your machine, getting a belt connected somewhere on the other side of the base, etc.

After that it turns into importing blueprints and stamping optimized substructures all over the place and the play loop becomes completely different.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

What isn't? He has five loops going on there.

Wait, I thought sushi belts were belts with non-homogenous contents, so you might have a belt with 3 or 4 different item types mixed over both lanes. Belt loops are just loops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, factorio folks seem to save the sushi label for setups where a single lane on a belt has two or more item types on it.

If it's a loop and a lane has only one item type, it's just a belt loop.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Nevets posted:

Wait, I thought sushi belts were belts with non-homogenous contents, so you might have a belt with 3 or 4 different item types mixed over both lanes. Belt loops are just loops.

Ah. Good to know

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Do fresh starts take longer than in previous versions? I don't remember them taking quite so long, but I have this sneaking suspicion that it may be due to me over planning for base size.

Also, very big very large water maps ownnn

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

It's you.

Make a smaller spaghetti-factory to begin with, then use it to make parts for your huge mega-optimised fully planned out factory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You might think the first recipe on the first assembler should be research but this is wrong. It's yellow belts.

Think if how many yellow belts can be made out of a chest of iron while you dick around with your first semiauto research. It's a lot, and you can spread out however far you want when you have a box of belts before you even have a furnace stack.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

There have been some changes that make the game a bit slower but that's mainly mid game stuff. Oil is earlier and science packs were rebalanced but that was kind of a while ago now.

But you are probably building in too much room for growth at the expense of needing a lot more resources which means it takes longer to actually grow. Factorio is a process of continual good enough solutions and expanding on to the next problem. Laying out your first green chips so you can extend them to provide for full blues is a huge resource and time sink. By the time you need all those green chips you will be able to build the infrastructure to make them a lot faster.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zedprime posted:

You might think the first recipe on the first assembler should be research but this is wrong. It's yellow belts.

Think if how many yellow belts can be made out of a chest of iron while you dick around with your first semiauto research. It's a lot, and you can spread out however far you want when you have a box of belts before you even have a furnace stack.

It's actually gears. Plop down two assemblers putting gears into a box. Everything needs gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Public service announcement: Requester warehouses have a smaller capacity than normal warehouses.