Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah it's a great adaptation but if you read it pretty recently you'll probably get less out of it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it was a while ago so, cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neeksy posted:

Aggretsuko is really good, although some of the subtitles and song translations are a little iffy.

That's Netflix subtitles for you!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I think the execution of Hinamatsuri is good enough that it warrants a watch even if you're caught up with the comic. I know I am and have been enjoying it quite a bit. That said, if you don't have time/don't like juggling multiple shows at once, it could be something to consider waiting on. After all, it's been good so far but it could fall apart towards the end.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's Netflix subtitles for you!

Does netflix actually do the subtitling its shows/movies though?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DisDisDis: watch tea shop anime it has A+ men and cakes

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I will give it a look... in two weeks... kill me...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fire Barrel posted:

Well, a lot of Netflix acquisitions have had kinda shaky subtitles, so it's gotta be something. I know they farm out their closed captioning to volunteers, so it might be similar.

It's worth noting that the dubs they do tend to have better scripts, which is probably because those are almost entirely handled by Bang Zoom.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

would the Hinamatsuri anim be interesting if I already read the comic?

It seems like a very well produced show, so even if you remember the content really well it might be worth just seeing and hearing it in motion.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Alder posted:

Surprise drama in Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori? We'll find out next time :v:

:ohdear:

Poor shy patissier was very good this episode :3:

https://files.catbox.moe/jrswvh.webm
Always keep photos of your cat on you at all time

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Is the anime an adaptation of the game or set after it? I played part of the game on my phone when it came out but never finished it so I don't know if I should before looking at the anime or if it doesn't matter.

Nothing really happens in the game to spoil anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, is Aggretsuko kinda hard to watch for anyone else or just me? It makes me think about my job too much.

I like it a lot, but I can't really watch more than one or two episodes at a time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was expecting it to be more funny and less soul-crushing

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fire Barrel posted:

They contract it out. Translations are paid on a $ per minute basis, and do not pay that great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

They contract it out. Translations are paid on a $ per minute basis, and do not pay that great.

And as I mentioned earlier, the dub translations and scripts, at least from what I've noticed, are taken care of by the studio that records it, usually Bang Zoom.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DisDisDis posted:

would the Hinamatsuri anim be interesting if I already read the comic?

I went into it a bit hesitantly for that reason, and it ended up being one of my favorites of the season.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

3D Kanojo got pretty serious in episode 4. It's been about serious self-esteem issues from the start, but this one introduced some hard bullying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was expecting it to be more funny and less soul-crushing

The original series is a bunch of 1 minute shorts which is probably a bit more digestible, but part of the whole thing is that it is extremely soul crushing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant really get into aggretsuko because its cranked out by a huge corporation that sues anyone who so much as draws a doodle of hello kitty, and its all about how working an office job sucks

idk it feels the same as those like, 'ironic' 'you'll never afford a house so buy our shoes' advertisements to me

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

arbys, kizuna ai, this, its all the same fake cutesy corporate culture

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wont ever beat steak umms trying to join weird twitter and hanging out w the 'tax

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

Yesterday I unsubscribed from the mailing list of some airline I booked on and the message said "Are you sure? We'd hate to see you go :-(" and I retched a little bit

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, literally every anime comes from an abusive corp.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto posted:

that's why piracy is the only ethical.way to.watch anime

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Davincie posted:

arby’s is best girl

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

touhou

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

That just comes from an alcohol abuser

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought KyoAni was famous for not treating its people like poo poo?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Motto posted:

this is why i only watch doujin anime

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

i cant really get into aggretsuko because its cranked out by a huge corporation that sues anyone who so much as draws a doodle of hello kitty, and its all about how working an office job sucks

idk it feels the same as those like, 'ironic' 'you'll never afford a house so buy our shoes' advertisements to me

too real :gbsmith:

although ive come to embrace never owning property and renting forever nowadays.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

theres a difference between a fairly individual artist making a manga and then a variety of corporate deals going down to make an anime to promote it, or a studio wanting to make an original anime and securing funding from various interested parties, and a giant corporation cranking out a mascot to make tons of merchandise of, imo

and also it isnt really just 'sanrio is bad so this is bad' its like, the specific subject matter tying into that is what makes it weird, for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also even as lovely japanese corporations go, sanrio is aggressively lovely

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theres corps/publishers that are "good" I think too, i like that enterbrain keeps harta running even tho it's so niche it definitely doesn't make money cause it's mostly a cool showcase for talented artists enjoyed by other artists.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

theres a difference between a fairly individual artist making a manga and then a variety of corporate deals going down to make an anime to promote it, or a studio wanting to make an original anime and securing funding from various interested parties, and a giant corporation cranking out a mascot to make tons of merchandise of, imo

I've never thought about it that way before. Makes sense.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now that I think about it tho harta has like 3 adaptions running this season.... whoops.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Davincie posted:

It's all fake corporate culture, I'm just kinda glad they make it cute every so often. I like cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just about everything is made by lovely soulless corporations, it's just a hang-up you have to get over to get by in a capitalist society.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
maybe we stop trying to just get by and burn it all to the ground.

maybe we eliminate the hang ups and begin again.

maybe we finally let go

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Beato Believer posted:

It's all fake corporate culture, I'm just kinda glad they make it cute every so often. I like cute.

I want it to be all soulless robots that speak in monotone

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Full luxury anime space communism now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Expect My Mom posted:

maybe we stop trying to just get by and burn it all to the ground.

maybe we eliminate the hang ups and begin again.

maybe we finally let go

Well, okay, as long as it burns cutely.

• Locked thread