Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

why don’t you let your kids stay up for the draft you monster

Maybe he is doing the single most important thing a father can do, ensure his children aren't Browns fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Way to go Antonio Callaway. Hope it doesn't hurt your draft stock too much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Abugadu posted:

Also, out of the two #1 picks the Packers have had, both were in the 1950's, one was Paul Hornung, and the other was a QB from Iowa named Randy Duncan who never played a down in the NFL, choosing to go to the CFL instead.

Our only close to top pick in the modern era was Tony Mandarich.

it's cool that the only thing preventing the packers from winning multiple titles was making the worst draft pick of all time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

it's cool that the only thing preventing the packers from winning multiple titles was making the worst draft pick of all time

I'd be hardpressed to place Tony in the top ten busts of all time.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

And IIRC it was 100% predicated on him being a workout warrior

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Randaconda posted:

I'd be hardpressed to place Tony in the top ten busts of all time.

he's up there for the same reason Sam Bowie is. especially when you think what Derick Thomas , deion Sanders or Barry Sanders could have added to those teams.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

piss tape israel posted:

And IIRC it was 100% predicated on him being a workout warrior

He was like the surest thing ever. It just so happened that he managed to find exactly how much horse steroids can help a person before he got to the NFL.

See also: Steve Emtman.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

he's up there for the same reason Sam Bowie is. especially when you think what Derick Thomas , deion Sanders or Barry Sanders could have added to those teams.

...Ouch.

Yeah, I forgot how stacked that draft was.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ehud posted:

why don’t you let your kids stay up for the draft you monster

Don’t want them to go to bed sad after we draft Josh Allen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Randaconda posted:

...Ouch.

Yeah, I forgot how stacked that draft was.

those guys went 3-5 as well, it wasn't like they were hidden gems

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

If Mandarich hadn't busted as hard as he did, or if the Packers had picked Barry instead, the board doesn't clean house and bring in Ron Wolf.

Without Ron Wolf, there's zero chance the Packers trade for Brett Favre.

Without Brett Favre, there's no reason for Reggie White to come to Green Bay.

Without Brett and Reggie, there's no chance that Green Bay wins a Super Bowl in the 90s, and even less of a chance that Green Bay is actually seen as a worthwhile place to go for free agents until well after realignment (a la Buffalo).

In this other timeline, the Packers draft Barry Sanders and run with Majik/Sharpe/Barry, stringing together a bunch of 9-7 and 10-6 seasons that don't really go anywhere in the playoffs. The Cowboys and 49ers dominate most of the 90s in the NFC, giving way to the Vikings and Pepper/Moss in the late 90s.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
wow sounds like drafting Tony Mandarich is the best thing the Packers could have done.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

boop the snoot posted:

Way to go Antonio Callaway. Hope it doesn't hurt your draft stock too much.

When was he projected to go? Cuz the Colts need a WR to pair with TY (since they won't go out in FA and get one). Worth a day 3 pick IMO.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pubic works project posted:

When was he projected to go? Cuz the Colts need a WR to pair with TY (since they won't go out in FA and get one). Worth a day 3 pick IMO.

First round talent but off the field issues have him projected as a second day pick (prior to this failed drug test).

Kind of short though at 5’11”.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rosen comes across VERY well in interviews. He actually says stuff.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

boop the snoot posted:

First round talent but off the field issues have him projected as a second day pick (prior to this failed drug test).

Kind of short though at 5’11”.

Oh no. He's too short. TY is already our short WR at 5'9". We need someone over 6'.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WHOOPS posted:

wow sounds like drafting Tony Mandarich is the best thing the Packers could have done.

If you put me back to 1989 and tell me Mandarich is going to bust I draft Barry and never look back.

:rip: Sterling.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mcmagic posted:

He honestly reminds me of Cutler when he talks. While I loved Cutler, I'm starting to worry that he might be a thoughtful, intelligent person AND an rear end in a top hat who his teammates will hate. :v:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

I think if anything teams see dollar signs when there's a weed guy. It's like getting a PS4 for 50% off.

Dolla dolla dolla!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Someone put together a list of Urban Meyer weed guys to see if there's a connection other than sad Papa Johns.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

That’s why he’s going to potentially slip out of the top ten. NFL is dumb.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The durability concerns with Rosen are real. If he falls it will be because of that.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/989153897573826560?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So do people believe this Cleveland.com report that it's between Baker and Allen for no 1?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cleveland gonna swerve everybody and take O-Line and D-line with their first four picks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Randaconda posted:

Cleveland gonna swerve everybody and take O-Line and D-line with their first four picks

The ultimate goon draft.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm convinced no one knows a drat thing about this draft, which is going to make it so fun to watch.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Lmao fine by me. Allows us to either grab Chubb/Barkley or trade down with Buffalo for a haul.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

So do people believe this Cleveland.com report that it's between Baker and Allen for no 1?
It's almost certainly going to be Darnold but they hired Scot McCloughan for a reason and he's been very vocal to everyone who asks that Mayfield is the best in this class.

Tough to imagine them just ignoring him when he's banging the drum in Dorsey's ear.

e:Wait... Allen and Mayfield? WTF I thought this was a Darnold/Mayfield thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope a punter or kicker goes on day one.

That’s all I care about. I have no faith in the Bucs and want everyone to suffer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's almost certainly going to be Darnold but they hired Scot McCloughan for a reason and he's been very vocal to everyone who asks that Mayfield is the best in this class.

Tough to imagine them just ignoring him when he's banging the drum in Dorsey's ear.

e:Wait... Allen and Mayfield? WTF I thought this was a Darnold/Mayfield thing.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/josh_allen_and_baker_mayfield.html

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I have a feeling that one of (or all) Barkley/Rosen/Allen fall into the teens/twenties at least

I have a sneaking suspicion that Allen falls into the 2nd round

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

In the past Cabot has been printing straight up whatever the organization wants "leaked". It's probably more smoke from Dorsey with how things have gone.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

I have a feeling that one of (or all) Barkley/Rosen/Allen fall into the teens/twenties at least

I feel like if Allen or Rosen starts to fall, the Bills are going to try to trade up with the Colts to get one. They're going to get desperate.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Who would be the team that takes Rosen if he goes into a freefall that you wouldn't expect to ala Aaron Rodgers and the Packers? The Saints? The Patriots?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

pubic works project posted:

I feel like if Allen or Rosen starts to fall, the Bills are going to try to trade up with the Colts to get one. They're going to get desperate.

Colts will make out with what? 3 1sts and 3 2nds when it's all said and done with that #3 overall.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Boosh! posted:

Colts will make out with what? 3 1sts and 3 2nds when it's all said and done with that #3 overall.

poo poo I'm hoping to get 12, 22, and next year's 1st (or 2nd) from the Bills if they freak out.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Blitz7x posted:

That definitely should happen, but the combination of:

1. Dumb teams
2. Weakish back half of first round
3. That QB thirst

Means it's more likely that at least one team pulls the trigger on Mr. Allen before the second.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

But Ben doesn’t come to that conclusion because he believes that football coaches are always wrong or their schemes are backward or that he’s smarter than everyone being paid to practice the sport for a living. He’s reached that conclusion by doing the same thing he does in his day job: looking at the numbers and seeing what they tell him. And what they’ve told him is that compared to passing productivity, rushing doesn’t matter all that much when it relates to winning in the NFL.

“It took really going through the data and trying to find any evidence that rushing mattered or set up things like play-action pass,” he said.

His conclusion: It didn’t matter in the NFL. Not nearly as much as passing the ball. And while I would say that I’m really intrigued by Ben’s conclusion, I’m a long way from convinced.

I wonder how much of this is because short passes can do nearly as much work in terms of setting the defense up as running the ball could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mastershakeman posted:

The packers didn't draft Ryan Leaf

• Locked thread