Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mage_Boy posted:

Syd's maze is her re-living her youth/teenage years? Odd.

given the opening scene I wouldn't be surprised if it's her trapped in reliving her entire life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I bet it's her mom, it looks like she can actually touch her, and she was one of the few people who actually cared about Syd.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mage_Boy posted:

I bet it's her mom, it looks like she can actually touch her, and she was one of the few people who actually cared about Syd.

syd mentioned during season 1 that the first time she had sex was as her mother after switching with her, so her mother isn't immune

I think what Syd wants is to actually break free with her powers and let loose

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

flatluigi posted:

syd mentioned during season 1 that the first time she had sex was as her mother after switching with her, so her mother isn't immune

I think what Syd wants is to actually break free with her powers and let loose

I should have rewatched the first season before this season started, I didn't remember that at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

This episode is making great pains to show that she can't

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cool Cream cover!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's cheating, david

Mage_Boy posted:

I should have rewatched the first season before this season started, I didn't remember that at all.

i've really liked syd as a tragic character and it's probably one of the saddest things we know about her

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is the first time I've watched the show as-it-airs instead of on demand without commercials and these interruptions are ridiculously frequent

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

flatluigi posted:

this is the first time I've watched the show as-it-airs instead of on demand without commercials and these interruptions are ridiculously frequent

I was just thinking the same thing. I usually watch this later in the week, but I happened to be free tonight, so I decided to watch it live. I think I prefer on demand.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well this is an episode of Syd's life I never really wanted to see

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh no

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh no

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm a little mad at the show for using this burning down the house cover as end credits music.

It was a total filler episode, and I don't care.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

howe_sam posted:

I'm a little mad at the show for using this burning down the house cover as end credits music.

It was a total filler episode, and I don't care.

eh, it was a good character study

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

flatluigi posted:

eh, it was a good character study

Yeah, it was basically Syd saying "here is how I survive through the apocalypse: determination, will and stubbornness due to emotional scarring."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That was the most Noah Hawley episode of anything ever

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
behind-the-scenes note: this was directed by Ellen Kuras, who is known most relevantly as the cinematographer for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

That was the most Noah Hawley episode of anything ever

right, it was a very good episode

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh good, the psycho fictional junkie amalgamation has escaped Mind Jail without permission

no seriously it's good, this is gonna be fantastic :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was great. Yea it didn't progress the story, but delve into Syd's past was fascinating.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The intro-style "FX presents..." right at the end was interesting, seems to suggest poo poo is about to get real. Or unreal given that it's Legion. Can't wait.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cool Cream cover!

The soundtrack for this episode was great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mage_Boy posted:

It's amazing the poo poo people forget about this show. I've forgotten all about all kinds of different scenes but not that one.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wafflecopper posted:

The intro-style "FX presents..." right at the end was interesting, seems to suggest poo poo is about to get real. Or unreal given that it's Legion. Can't wait.

Turns out the crazy apocalypse plague was just Aubrey Plaza acting like herself!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holy poo poo this episode.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Rewatched episode 3 and I wonder if Fukyama isn't Professor X. He kind of offers a flimsy dodge when he says "another crisis then another" like the Shadow King just happens every day and the Monk calls him on it.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

No wait. Lenny. A real Lenny being handled by real people!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Syd and David appear in an empty white room at the end, just like in the John Hamm intros 🤔

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

night slime posted:

Rewatched episode 3 and I wonder if Fukyama isn't Professor X. He kind of offers a flimsy dodge when he says "another crisis then another" like the Shadow King just happens every day and the Monk calls him on it.

He can stand

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

He wasn't always in a wheelchair, but I also doubt it's Professor X

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Ultra late title cards are kinda my thing. This episode ruled.
Totally ready for this thing to kick into overdrive now but i would also settle with more high concept, beautifully shot and executed television.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's amazing the poo poo people forget about this show. I've forgotten all about all kinds of different scenes but not that one.

After this episode. I doubt I'll forget that detail again. I think the problem was that I binged a bunch of episodes, so I didn't take in everything as well as I would watching them one or two at a time. (This show is much better watched slowly.)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Syd's line at the end about sinners sounded pretty sinister to me.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's hard to square "love makes you weak, buckle up princess" Syd with "He's my man" Syd that's been presented thus far unless she's just cynically staying close to the biggest heavy in the room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Her point is that love is precious but vulnerable and a vulnerability, not that it's worthless.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Syd is desperate for love but cynical and scarred enough to know what to not give up for it, even when she knows that David is genuinely her only chance at ever having a physical connection with someone. When she says David's her man (her magic man), it's honest and with no metaphor; he's the one for her.

The issue has been, of course, that despite David fawning over her and her being genuinely up for whatever he does, their relationship is extremely basic from what we've seen on screen. There's been room for a lot of time for them to have been together off-screen (whether that's at the mental hospital, at the mutant retreat, or in their white room), but it definitely seems to be the case that this latest episode is the first time they've really had a deep conversation about how she really feels (especially since David was putting forward some very basic readings of her whole deal at the start of the episode).

I honestly don't really know if it's a bad thing or if it's a genuine representation of how their relationship has been, and if it is actually "we're made for each other and should be together, let's work together to actually justify that" it's a really neat take on a relationship that I haven't really seen anywhere else

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That was one of my favorite episodes of television ever. It was like a Rosetta Stone for understanding what Legion is really about.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

all I can think is that Syd wasn't wearing orange in that white space scene. Which may be bad, may be good, i donno with this show.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Their relationship was presented as rather superficial in the first season, so I think you're right that this does help me understand the appeal for Syd.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

And here I was expecting Lenny to be put into a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The late title cards totally got me because when I watch Legion, I lose all track of time.

Also, Amber Midthunder is awesome.