Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Do we talk financing here? My gf and I have been offered to buy my GFs parents house at a favorable price which will basically count as a 20% down payment. I'm thinking about whether to get a fixed rate mortgage or variable rate. Fixed rates are ~ 2.25%, variable at the moment is 0,95%. Difference between payments would be about 300 dollars a month. Am I being foolish not locking in the fixed rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Struensee posted:

Do we talk financing here? My gf and I have been offered to buy my GFs parents house at a favorable price which will basically count as a 20% down payment. I'm thinking about whether to get a fixed rate mortgage or variable rate. Fixed rates are ~ 2.25%, variable at the moment is 0,95%. Difference between payments would be about 300 dollars a month. Am I being foolish not locking in the fixed rate?

In general, yes.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think it is pretty probable that is a non-us question, so the fixed period in question is probably of relevance.

If it is non-us, please note, most advice in the thread is US focused, so specific questions regarding interest rate markets, and best advice may be limited as a result.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Welp, I put in an offer on that house with the sloped backyard and the seller accepted. Pretty terrifying. Next step is inspection...

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, this is Denmark. 30 year mortgage. Also looks like the rates are more like 3,06% vs 1,19%.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Personally, given it is fixing for the full 30 years as opposed to a portion of the term, I'd strongly consider the 3.06% as that is very cheap. I don't have a strong understanding of Danish market to know what volatility looks like, but it does look like your prepayment options are pretty limited, so it isn't like the savings can really be used to pay down the principal sooner.

Given you are already getting a very good deal with the discounted price to meet your 20% down requirements, I'd personally take the sure thing. Your mileage may vary as to how important the extra 300 dollars is, along with the potential your credit profile changes down the line, which might impact your ability to refinance the loan in the future.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And just to be totally clear, in Canada they refer to the most common type of mortgage as "fixed rate"... because it has a fixed rate for a few years and then becomes floating. It's not a true 30-year fixed rate as we have here in the US.

So, even if someone in Denmark is saying it's a fixed rate, it's worth asking, is it a 100% fixed rate for the full 30-year life of the loan?

But then also, how do interest rates work in Denmark, are they allowed to float with the market, are they tied to the EU, what happens during inflationary periods, etc? In general I think most of us in the US prefer a fixed rate to an ARM or floating rate, on the basis that rates right now are at historic lows and are likely to rise in the future, but that principle may not apply as much or at all in Denmark, I just don't know.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Struensee posted:

If you were in the US I'd be screaming at the top of my lungs not to buy property with someone you are not married to. You get all the headaches of divorce without the benefits of marriage. I don't know how much that advice applies to Denmark because I don't know the process or transaction costs associated with selling real estate.

That's aside from the potential relationship pitfalls of her parents lording the favorable sale over your relationship at a later date.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Every drat house I look at has just the most atrocious work done on it. I wouldn't mind buying a flipped house if they didn't just absolutely cheap out on every possible part to the most extreme. I looked at a house today that's in a good spot, lots of good upgrades from a previous owner (electrical, insulation, detached garage/workshop), but the last owner/flipper replaced the wood siding with the third cheapest vinyl siding that Home Depot sells, and they did a piss poor job installing it. The trim around the windows is especially bad. The house also has hardwood floors which are in decent shape considering their age, but in the bathroom and kitchen someone laid down tile. So instead of removing that tile, the flipper just laid a different pattern of tile on top of it. So now there is half an inch offset between certain areas. Also they only bothered to cover the 1/2" double-tile to wood edge between the living room and kitchen. Not anywhere else, so you can see the raggedy edge and old tile layer from the bedrooms.

I mean it's all pretty paltry stuff I could fix, but I'd rather not pay for their poo poo included in the sale price, and then have to shell out to fix it myself again. Especially when the neighborhoods prices are at an all time high.

e: I took pics

The cheap vinyl siding (the cheapest color too!)
https://imgur.com/nUF5Z1i

Bedroom to hallway tile edge
https://imgur.com/PijLbQG

Great siding on the window
https://imgur.com/x6iDQTr

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 21, 2018

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Struensee posted:

It depends on how long the rate is fixed for with the variable, how long you plan on living there, and if you can afford what the variable rate maxes out at. If you are going to move in a few years the variable makes more sense. You can put in different numbers for future interest rates and see what makes more sense for your situation. Plenty of people save money with a variable rate, and refinancing every few years. But some people get hosed after the rate increases to 10%

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
The variable rate is fixed for 3 years at a time, the fixed rate is fixed for 30 years. We're having a baby in august, so marriage is starting to make sense.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but how does one go about considering a cashout refi? I bought my house in 2012 for just under 160k, and currently owe about 128k. Loan is 3.25% FHA loan, which I know I'll never see again if I refi, but I also pay $146 monthly in PMI which I should be able to eliminate. Zillow says my house is worth $250,000 right now, which is surely complete bullshit, but I would refi at whatever the house appraises and have 80% ltv. I'm guessing closer to $220 based on comps.

Wife an I are happy with our house, and don't want the trouble of moving, but it is a "starter home" and could use new countertops, refaced cabinets, gutters, updated bathrooms, etc, etc that would probably gobble up $20,000 or so. Wife also just finished up her LPN with sights set on pursuing her RN in the near future, so there may be some desire there in reducing student loans.

Wife and I have 800+ credit scores, and will probably gross around 100,000 this year, but wife has only been in her current job a little under 2 months. I just see a good opportunity for a nice cash infusion which would be very useful right now, and enough equity in the house currently that even if housing took a big dive, I shouldn't be terribly underwater, with no goals of moving regardless. Any glaring drawbacks aside from the obvious interest rate increase and consequential lifetime amount owed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Would the student loan interest be greater than the interest on the new mortgage?

And how long would it take you to save up $20k for those home upgrades? Without dipping into emergency/retirement accounts

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Would the student loan interest be greater than the interest on the new mortgage?

And how long would it take you to save up $20k for those home upgrades? Without dipping into emergency/retirement accounts

Loans are actually better than I expected, I thought they were closer to 6% but are actually around 3.5%, and have 5 months grace period before payments are "required". As far as saving 20k, probably 18 months with intense attention towards saving. Our emergency fund is not where I would like it to be either, and unfortunately we are soon staring down some substantial daycare fees for two kids.

Does the risk/reward make more sense with a smaller cashout? In my head I'm targeting a 170k note. I know I shouldn't fixate on the monthly payment, but assuming I pay $100,000 more over the lifetime of the loan, I'm honestly ok absorbing that if it puts $40,000 cash in hand now for roughly what I'm paying now on the mortgage.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SuicidalSmurf posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but how does one go about considering a cashout refi? I bought my house in 2012 for just under 160k, and currently owe about 128k. Loan is 3.25% FHA loan, which I know I'll never see again if I refi, but I also pay $146 monthly in PMI which I should be able to eliminate. Zillow says my house is worth $250,000 right now, which is surely complete bullshit, but I would refi at whatever the house appraises and have 80% ltv. I'm guessing closer to $220 based on comps.

Wife an I are happy with our house, and don't want the trouble of moving, but it is a "starter home" and could use new countertops, refaced cabinets, gutters, updated bathrooms, etc, etc that would probably gobble up $20,000 or so. Wife also just finished up her LPN with sights set on pursuing her RN in the near future, so there may be some desire there in reducing student loans.

Wife and I have 800+ credit scores, and will probably gross around 100,000 this year, but wife has only been in her current job a little under 2 months. I just see a good opportunity for a nice cash infusion which would be very useful right now, and enough equity in the house currently that even if housing took a big dive, I shouldn't be terribly underwater, with no goals of moving regardless. Any glaring drawbacks aside from the obvious interest rate increase and consequential lifetime amount owed?

Should be at 78 LTV your PMI will just drop off, although depending on your lender you might need to pay for an appraisal to "prove" it. This is ratio is required by the FHA.

Also cash out refi's are nearly always only for your lender's benefit. Sounds like you got some equity, maybe look into a Heloc/Heloan if you need money now, save that 3.25%. The heloc might get you the appraisal you need too.

Shop around for helocs too, pricing varies a fuckload currently at various lenders, and there's no requirement to get it at the same lender.

Edit: As a heads up HELOCS are done on the old forms sometimes, so you may not get a LE/CD on it from some lenders, this isn't a trick or a scam, just a reflection of lovely law writing.

Double Edit: You're right, I was assuming he put down 10% but yeah, it's probably a life of loan cause gently caress poors forever and ever and ever.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 23, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Should be at 78 LTV your PMI will just drop off, although depending on your lender you might need to pay for an appraisal to "prove" it. This is ratio is required by the FHA.

New (since the recession) FHA pmi is the life of the loan. You prepay a mountain of it then have pmi forever. Only way out is refi. Because gently caress poor people.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can’t believe Donald trump is the loving president

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

New (since the recession) FHA pmi is the life of the loan. You prepay a mountain of it then have pmi forever. Only way out is refi. Because gently caress poor people.

If you put down 10% or more it goes away after 11 years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you put down 10% or more it goes away after 11 years.

You can also just not use FHA at 10%, no more prepaid pmi.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Inching closer to our purchase, we got the inspection today. The big things that stood out:

-The microwave vent above the range doesn't vent to the atmosphere, but to the attic (wtf?!!??). The inspector said that this is actually a safety issue, as it could lead to a fire in the attic. He said that to ameliorate it, they'd have to basically cut a hole in the roof and redo the vent (and the surrounding roofing). Is this a deal-breaker? Something like this seems pretty expensive to fix and I'd rather that they fix it.

-The wiring at the breaker box is maxed out/has too many wires. He said that this is also somewhat of a safety hazard but is relatively inexpensive to address.

-The goddamn oven doesn't work, even though it has power. Coupd this be related to the wiring issue?

-The pool filter has a leak by the machinery (don't know what it's called). He presumed that it wasn't reassembled correctly the last time it was serviced.

-Dent in the garage door. It doesn't prevent it from opening/closing, but it's unsightly.

There were other minor things, but these were the ones that seemed more of a concern. Should we walk away given the vent/electrical issue?

For reference, the house was built in 1992. The roof was replaced in 2013 after a hail storm, the pool was resurfaced in 2012 and the AC was replaced in 2013.

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 25, 2018

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Your real estate agent should be negotiating seller credits on your behalf.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I had a shower exhaust vent into the attic of our house when I bought it. It wasn’t that expensive. Three figure. I suspect the first issue would be similar.

Seller should fix or credit the oven issue.

Those don’t seem like big deals to me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

IT BURNS posted:

Inching closer to our purchase, we got the inspection today. The big things that stood out:

-The microwave vent above the range doesn't vent to the atmosphere, but to the attic (wtf?!!??). The inspector said that this is actually a safety issue, as it could lead to a fire in the attic. He said that to ameliorate it, they'd have to basically cut a hole in the roof and redo the vent (and the surrounding roofing). Is this a deal-breaker? Something like this seems pretty expensive to fix and I'd rather that they fix it.

-The wiring at the breaker box is maxed out/has too many wires. He said that this is also somewhat of a safety hazard but is relatively inexpensive to address.

-The goddamn oven doesn't work, even though it has power. Coupd this be related to the wiring issue?

-The pool filter has a leak by the machinery (don't know what it's called). He presumed that it wasn't reassembled correctly the last time it was serviced.

-Dent in the garage door. It doesn't prevent it from opening/closing, but it's unsightly.

There were other minor things, but these were the ones that seemed more of a concern. Should we walk away given the vent/electrical issue?

For reference, the house was built in 1992. The roof was replaced in 2013 after a hail storm, the pool was resurfaced in 2012 and the AC was replaced in 2013.

LOL on what planet is a new vent a big deal and a new electrical panel a small one? You are probably looking at a couple/ few hundred to fix the vent, and thousands for a new panel. Both are certainly fixable. Bring the inspection report to a contractor and see what they bid it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This house sounds like a nightmare based on that post. But I also bought one so wtf do I know.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I’d be most afraid of the pool and the wiring and wouldn’t even bother mentioning the garage door. Like someone else said, money fixes everything and you should have the cost for those fixes negotiated in.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Slappy Pappy posted:

I’d be most afraid of the pool and the wiring and wouldn’t even bother mentioning the garage door. Like someone else said, money fixes everything and you should have the cost for those fixes negotiated in.
The door is on the buyer - they saw it during the tour before offer. But the buyer may be able to get a credit regardless, probably depends on the market. I could see that one going either way because it was an obvious pre-offer thing.

The other items sound like seller credits to me. And the new panel (if actually over loaded - inspectors are not electricians...) is definitely more money, probably a couple times more, than a roof jack. But also not a big deal.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 25, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IT BURNS posted:

I stopped at pool, don't buy a house with a pool.

Water is the enemy,

Also all houses are nightmares at least you won't be under some illusion that they are not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We bought a house with a pool and filled it in immediately, bake the cost of that into your offer imo.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

First time homebuyer here. Is there any risk in letting rocket mortgage put all my paperwork in front of an underwriter for full approval to get some numbers that I can shop around to other lenders? I dont think they are the best deal but feel like an easy first step to get some real world info to work with in terms of actual money.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a company ask me for that stuff too and I told them no simply because they wanted un-redacted copies of my bank transactions which is pretty drat personal information. To make it worse they also have in a disclosure I needed to sign that says they're free to sell any and all information I provide to them so I told them just to give me a standard pre-approval letter and they did with minimal push back, and I don't think I had to provide much info for it.

When I actually need a loan then I'll provide my entire financial history to companies to sell to marketers, but not before.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

therobit posted:

LOL on what planet is a new vent a big deal and a new electrical panel a small one? You are probably looking at a couple/ few hundred to fix the vent, and thousands for a new panel. Both are certainly fixable. Bring the inspection report to a contractor and see what they bid it.

I'm a first time homebuyer, so all of this is new to me, LOL. The exact phrasing from the inspection is "The panel box located at the garage has one or more double tapped breakers(additional circuit added to a breaker). This is a safety issue that needs to be corrected. A qualified licensed electrical
contractor should perform repairs that involve wiring" and "The panel box located at the garage has one or more double tapped neutral wires(more than one wire sharing a spot on the buss bar). This is a safety issue that needs to be corrected. A qualified licensed electrical contractor should perform repairs that involve wiring"

So, is this a major repair? If we're looking at rewiring the whole house, fuggit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

I stopped at pool, don't buy a house with a pool.

Water is the enemy,

Also all houses are nightmares at least you won't be under some illusion that they are not.

My buddy's divorced, depressed dad let his pool turn into a bright green science experiment. It was pretty impressive.

The best way to have a pool is live in a condo complex with an HOA that maintains the community pool. I've been in the hot tub every night since I realized it helps me sleep.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

IT BURNS posted:

I'm a first time homebuyer, so all of this is new to me, LOL. The exact phrasing from the inspection is "The panel box located at the garage has one or more double tapped breakers(additional circuit added to a breaker). This is a safety issue that needs to be corrected. A qualified licensed electrical
contractor should perform repairs that involve wiring" and "The panel box located at the garage has one or more double tapped neutral wires(more than one wire sharing a spot on the buss bar). This is a safety issue that needs to be corrected. A qualified licensed electrical contractor should perform repairs that involve wiring"

So, is this a major repair? If we're looking at rewiring the whole house, fuggit.

If you are not sure, hire an electrician to inspect it and give a quote. Same as with any other issues identified by the home inspector that could be expensive. Then ask for a seller credit. Also get the sewer scoped.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

IT BURNS posted:

It's not always bad. Some breakers are designed to be double tapped. If it is bad in your case, and there is no more space, then you can install a Tandem breaker like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schne...=tandem+breaker

Now, all that being said, if the breaker is double tapped and shouldn't be, then that means Grover did the wiring for your house and it's probably sketchy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Those problems are pretty minor compared to what I've seen in my area. The attic ducting should be a pretty straight forward fix I think. See if you can run the vent to the eave. That way you wouldn't have to worry about flashing and roof shingles and stuff.

IANAE(lectrician) but I would think the breaker is a pretty straight forward fix too. Google and YouTube are your friend for finding out how much this stuff costs to fix and if it's a DIY job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IT BURNS posted:

That's a minor repair as described. The real question is who monkeyfucked that to being with, and what else did they do? Not only on that circuit or the electrical system in general, but to the entire house.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A house built in 1992 should not have any horrible wiring nightmares requiring re-wiring the whole house. But, there could be some previous-owner fuckery that needs to be fixed.

None of those inspection items sound like dealbreakers to me, except for the existence of a pool which you were presumably already aware of.

The kitchen vent can also be routed to an external wall instead of the roof, if it's already pretty close to a wall. Either way, getting a proper vent installed usually isn't a horribly high cost.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 28, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

IT BURNS posted:

I would say you want an electrician to bid it. I would think outs a bigger deal than the vent, but probably not a rewire situation. I'm not a contractor but replacing a panel can be pricey if that is truly what needs to be done. Nowhere close to the cost of rewiring the whole house though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Sunny Side Up posted:

1. With perfect credit, what interest rate would you expect or what would be your target right now for a jumbo loan? (after 20% down payment, loan amount is 440k) Bankrate is showing the lowest right now to be 4.25%.

In October, we were able to negotiate about half a percentage point lower than the Freddie Mac survey average at the time: http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/ we also paid a quarter of a point.

cr0y posted:

First time homebuyer here. Is there any risk in letting rocket mortgage put all my paperwork in front of an underwriter for full approval to get some numbers that I can shop around to other lenders? I dont think they are the best deal but feel like an easy first step to get some real world info to work with in terms of actual money.

Seems fine to me as long as you don't commit to buying. I had a good experience with better.com - they had a $1000 best rate guarantee at the time. Their rate was not in fact the best, and they actually mailed me a check without much hassle. I was shocked.
(Obviously make sure you read the fine print)