Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Here's a clip of me with my trusty sidekick, "verviticus," as I carry him. Please note the ideal support positioning of "not actually doing a loving thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktWfOIqWqc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

kingcobweb posted:

Here's a clip of me with my trusty sidekick, "verviticus," as I carry him. Please note the ideal support positioning of "not actually doing a loving thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OktWfOIqWqc

That sure looks like a stolen pentakill to me hmm

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hes doing his sacred duty to never allow a pentakill. it is the responsibility of every player in the game to actively deny a pentakill at any opportunity - the only pentakill of value is the one that is earned 9v1

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
posting for them but flex lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have faith that they'll win.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i beat signed early and we were in it for a while but graves popped off and vi really struggled. oh well, another singed goes truly unpunished

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Verviticus posted:

i beat signed early and we were in it for a while but graves popped off and vi really struggled. oh well, another singed goes truly unpunished

Top lane is the slop lane.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Verviticus posted:

These loving animals must be stopped

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Big changes are being planned for ranked in 2019. Probably the biggest change is the addition of positional matchmaking, where your relative MMR in the matchmaker is determined by the system's confidence in each specific position you play. Thus, instead of being specifically Gold V or whatever, you're Gold V in Top, Silver II in Bot, Gold I in Mid, etc.

Not specifically sure how I feel about this idea. Biggest problem is role swapping in champion select, and the second biggest is that getting autofilled can end up feeling even worse, since even getting carried doesn't necessarily mean you're advancing on your "main" role (if your goal is to hit Diamond/Challenger).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
On the other hand, it allows you to safely practice other roles without having to tank your MMR. I don’t think I’ll mind. Trying to get to <whatever rank> in your off roles as well could also be really motivating.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whatever I'll just feed anyway

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Big changes are being planned for ranked in 2019. Probably the biggest change is the addition of positional matchmaking, where your relative MMR in the matchmaker is determined by the system's confidence in each specific position you play. Thus, instead of being specifically Gold V or whatever, you're Gold V in Top, Silver II in Bot, Gold I in Mid, etc.

Not specifically sure how I feel about this idea. Biggest problem is role swapping in champion select, and the second biggest is that getting autofilled can end up feeling even worse, since even getting carried doesn't necessarily mean you're advancing on your "main" role (if your goal is to hit Diamond/Challenger).

I think this is a really good change.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Same, those all look really good across the board.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

This only really works if they get rid of autofill entirely tbh.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Clash will also release soon. I wasn't looking at the thread when the beta was going on. Will there be a discord or something to make teams? Interested in playing 5 mans since I have rarely done that apart from a couple of times.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Can’t wait to see all the people complaining about Support being brainless to get placed Bronze in the position. That’s what you get for mocking my Very Real Diamond Janna Abilities. You fucks

Also they want to make a sub-Bronze tier but they’re not gonna call it Wood :argh:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Can’t wait to see all the people complaining about Support being brainless to get placed Bronze in the position. That’s what you get for mocking my Very Real Diamond Janna Abilities. You fucks

Also they want to make a sub-Bronze tier but they’re not gonna call it Wood :argh:

I think they're adding a VI and VII to each metal tier and then removing one of them from five down to four (Probably Platinum?)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
There are definitely some logistical issues/abuse cases to work through, but I like the idea of getting to play mid Fizz in ranked once in a while and not getting stomped by someone that actually knows the role at a plat+ level

I’m really curious how high I can rank in roles I don’t play. I’ve considered making a smurf just for that reason, but it’s so much work (and I sympathize with Verv’s anti-smurf views even if I don’t go as far as rolling out the guillotine like he wants). I think I can get at least Gold in any role just by making slightly fewer dogshit decisions than the average player, but then again I get pretty stupid when I play assassins.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

kingcobweb posted:

Cardboard 7 welcomes you

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Aerox posted:

I think they're adding a VI and VII to each metal tier and then removing one of them from five down to four (Probably Platinum?)

No no no, you read it wrong. It’ll be like
[Wood] 4-1
Bronze 4-1
Silver 4-1
Gold 4-1
Plat 4-1
[Some Shiny Thing] 4-1
Diamond 4-1
Master
Challenger

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

kingcobweb posted:

I like the idea of getting to play mid Fizz in ranked once in a while and not getting stomped by someone that actually knows the role at a plat+ level

Also this is probably a big part of riot's decision to make such a change here. I probably play an excellent support/mid, but put me in jungle?

I mean, again, Cardboard 7 welcomes you.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

No no no, you read it wrong. It’ll be like
[Wood] 4-1
Bronze 4-1
Silver 4-1
Gold 4-1
Plat 4-1
[Some Shiny Thing] 4-1
Diamond 4-1
Master
Challenger

Oh, my bad. That makes more sense.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wood would be great but they're probably going for iron or copper.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Elentor posted:

JC Denton is terrible at League

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elentor posted:

Slag :getin:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Ranked system sounds pretty cool.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vermain posted:

this could be a good change if executed properly and absolutely dogshit if not. considering how well they executed flex queue, im not optimistic

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Here’s some theorycrafting of something that might be totally broken right now. Specifically: active item CDR.

Ingenious Hunter gives 8% active item CDR per takedown (kill or assist), and Cosmic Insight adds another 5%, making it a total of 45%. This affects Predator, so that’s the obvious keystone. Getting five takedowns is actually really easy in solo queue on supports, since even shielding a guy or giving a Relic shield charge counts.

So what do you do with 45% item CDR? Support item actives are really powerful, and built onto extremely efficient items, since it’s assumed their users will be on a low gold budget, and the item actives have two minute cooldowns. Specifically: banner of Command goes to a 66 second cooldown, letting you use it practically every other wave instead of every fourth. Team compositions will commonly have 1-2 people that can clear a banner minion, so you can either put one in both side lanes to get map pressure, or both in one lane to push really fast. This lets you take baron super easily, because you guarantee a 5v4 unless they choose to lose towers for nothing. (Warning: requires macro play.) Any goons who’ve played with me lately have probably seen how funny it is watching some hard-pushing champ like Singed or Malzahar try to clear a banner minion, and how it translates to easy objectives.

There are other active items to consider: Redemption, Locket, and Mikael’s go to 66s cooldown also, basically making them every-fight extra ults. Shurelya’s Reverie goes to 33s.

Who can take best advantage of this? I’ve been playing it on Blitz. The problem is I’m atrocious at him. I’m going to try it on Rakan, who doesn’t have a basic ability overlapping with Predator, and would take good advantage of the heal/shield bonuses from Redemption/Mikael’s.

You could also go full gimmick with the Banner also built on jungle Skarner. I don’t think many teams could deal with 4 banner minions at once.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Here’s some theorycrafting of something that might be totally broken right now. Specifically: active item CDR.

Who can take best advantage of this? I’ve been playing it on Blitz. The problem is I’m atrocious at him. I’m going to try it on Rakan, who doesn’t have a basic ability overlapping with Predator, and would take good advantage of the heal/shield bonuses from Redemption/Mikael’s.

You could also go full gimmick with the Banner also built on jungle Skarner. I don’t think many teams could deal with 4 banner minions at once.

Alistar maybe, specifically with Banner?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

:words::words::words:

I found this is particularly funny with ghostblade and predator on Hecarim. It drops the active on predator to like 40ish seconds which is pretty goddamn funny for ganks

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Amperor posted:

Alistar maybe, specifically with Banner?

I tried this on Alistar, but unless you have ult available, you get super squishy. He depends on Aftershock way too much to give it up. Part of the solution, I think, is finding champions that either already use Predator or don't rely on their current keystones a lot; Rakan and Blitz seem like good examples of the latter.

edit: if you don't care about the Predator synergy you could use it on Electrocute champs that build tank or off-tank. Galio or Ryze, maybe?

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 25, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Servaetes posted:

I found this is particularly funny with ghostblade and predator on Hecarim. It drops the active on predator to like 40ish seconds which is pretty goddamn funny for ganks

55s from the start of using it, but the effect lasts 15s, so effectively 40, yeah. That's late game, though, because the base CD on predator scales with level.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vermain posted:

the second biggest is that getting autofilled can end up feeling even worse, since even getting carried doesn't necessarily mean you're advancing on your "main" role (if your goal is to hit Diamond/Challenger).

They acknowledge that this is a problem and are thinking of ways to fix it. The one mentioned in the article is winning autofilled games giving a bonus to your next main game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i cant see how thats not going to lead to people just mentally and emotionally quitting when they're down 0-1

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Whose going to be the first Challenger Fill main!?!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh, one other quick note about the CDR support idea: it gives you a 33s cooldown on your sweeper. I have no idea how you get vision against in an even game.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Soraka to get 5 stacks asap, get banner and zzrot and ohmwrecker

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Oh, one other quick note about the CDR support idea: it gives you a 33s cooldown on your sweeper. I have no idea how you get vision against in an even game.

I tried a blitz game with this build earlier and even though I sucked and we lost, the vision game was hugely in our favor for most of it. It felt pretty good to always be sweeping.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Soraka to get 5 stacks asap, get banner and zzrot and ohmwrecker

This would be fun but none of the domination keystones seem that good on her.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

The Shortest Path posted:

This would be fun but none of the domination keystones seem that good on her.

Could run domination secondary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh yeah that's a thing you can do right. Then you lose the 5% from Cosmic Insight I guess, since I wouldn't really take that primary on any supports either, but that seems fairly minor relatively.

It's probably worth trying on quite a few supports honestly. It's pretty trivial to get at least three stacks by midgame unless your team is doing really poorly, but in that case you've got all sorts of things to be worrying about anyway.