Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It was Jonathan’s stand, which was also Hermit Purple. I guess that’s just what hamon warriors eventually develop. Or maybe it’s a coincidence. Either way, it’s definitely not because Araki came up with something then changed his mind about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hermit Purple being infinite rope is basically perfect for Hamon users, but its applications against non-vampires leave a lot to be desired.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ChaosArgate posted:

Hermit Purple being infinite rope is basically perfect for Hamon users, but its applications against non-vampires leave a lot to be desired.

but it's not infinite rope, or joseph coulda choked out mariah earlier

it's unbreakable rope (except when it isnt)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think soemone posted once that Araki Said TM he hadn't decided what The World's ability was at the start of SDC and was toying with it having all Stand abilities.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
been rewatching and rereading Part 3 and I really think the anime is better way to experience it, pacing problems aside.

i could and might make a bigger post about it when im done, but instead i'll leave you with this pic of kakyoin petting a dog, which is the complete opposite of what happens in the manga

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know some people would burst a blood vessel in their brain to read this but i honestly feel like the part 3 anime, maybe cut down on a couple episodes here or there just to shorten it a bit and reign in the pacing, is probably the best way to experience the work as a whole

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Part 3 was a tough step after 1 and 2 since it was so much longer and had so many more enemy of the week kinds of encounters. That said, I think it plays pretty fine these days if you are watching a couple of episodes at a time. The pacing isn't much of an issue when you aren't watching it week to week.

I was way less enthusiastic when I was watching week to week, but on a recent rewatch with the GF it went down very smoothly.

There's a couple of eps that could use some trimming, but it's less that it needs material cutting IMO and more than sometimes they needed to fill 20 minutes and so there are these long drawn out reaction shots that don't really need to be as laborious as they are.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah stretching nearly every single fight into a two parter is really rough, but the visual stylings, music and voice acting do so much to help sell how shaky Part 3's writing is at times

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

...the visual stylings, music and voice acting do so much to help sell how shaky Part 3's writing is at times

Do you mean cover for?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah whoops lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also before anyone even mentions the OVA, other than a few neat artistic stylings in a shot here or there it's pretty bad for a multitude of reasons

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only part of the OVA that the proper anime didn't make obsolete is the D'Arby fight and even then they're basically even.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Part 3 gave us Heritage to the Future so it is obviously the second best part

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hol Horse and J Geil are one of the funnest characters in fighting games and I really like D'Vo's puppet gameplay

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

The only part of the OVA that the proper anime didn't make obsolete is the D'Arby fight and even then they're basically even.

they're good for different reasons and the greatness of the 'fight' is what sells it in both cases

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love with the fighting game did for Midler and High Priestess, I don't think almost any of her fighting game moves are in the manga really and it rules

also Alessi having a younger form for like everyone

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EmmyOk posted:

I think soemone posted once that Araki Said TM he hadn't decided what The World's ability was at the start of SDC and was toying with it having all Stand abilities

I don't know about it being an Araki SaidTM, but this was my dumb theory for what Za Warudo was gonna be. It didn't last long, or have much bearing in anything really, though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah it’s just a popular fan theory. The only Araki Said about the subject was it being Jonathan’s stand. I believe it was in one of the art books?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's nothing readily available in English about The World being all Joestar stands but it's 100% verifiable that the Hermit Purple DIO has is Jonathan's has been said by Araki. I want to say JoJoveller but it might not be.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely remember reading that. we don't know what all the stand would have done but it was jonathan's and it's implied that as dio got more control of the body his own stand took over.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's nothing readily available in English about The World being all Joestar stands but it's 100% verifiable that the Hermit Purple DIO has is Jonathan's has been said by Araki. I want to say JoJoveller but it might not be.

Jojoveller's got that Stands book with more thorough information and I'm not really sure if anyone's translated it before but I think you might be right?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like the Diamond is Unbreakable movie. Yes, it's not fabulous enough, but it is directed well, and the slight narrative changes are okay and work well for the movie in itself.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Oh, is it out on video now? And agreed. The changes that they made were pretty good and using Spain for Morioh actually turned out neat.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, I watched it on a plane recently and it was pretty cool, the live action stands looked pretty neat imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

does the color filter look less offensively horrible in the final film compared to the trailers?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The OVA also has the car scene with wilson phillips and I still can't believe that of all things got cut in the anime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it also has an oil tanker instead of a road roller and an ugly DIO not played by Koyasu so nooooo thank you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The OVA also has this

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Augus posted:

does the color filter look less offensively horrible in the final film compared to the trailers?

I don't think they're in the film at all.

edit: 10th anniversary post my goodness

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 26, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Augus posted:

I didn't notice any weird filters. There was some appropriate coloration in certain scenes. The cinematography actually looked really good at times (it is Miike, and he works with good people). Only issue was lack of posing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FirstAidKite posted:

The OVA also has the car scene with wilson phillips and I still can't believe that of all things got cut in the anime.

it was in the anime, they just didnt show the car ramming people head on, it's still implied.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i honestly think the scene of DIO telling Phillips to drive on the sidewalk and then when they cut back the grill of the car is mangled and bloody and Phillips laughing manically is better than showing people going flying with a Where's Waldo cameo in the background

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Expect My Mom posted:

i honestly think the scene of DIO telling Phillips to drive on the sidewalk and then when they cut back the grill of the car is mangled and bloody and Phillips laughing manically is better than showing people going flying with a Where's Waldo cameo in the background

no it loving isn't you philistine!!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
DIO finally finding Waldo and loving killing him is instrumental to understanding what a bastard he is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There is so much going on with the panel of the car running people over that it's just sad that it didn't get a proper screen rendition. It's like the Polnareff pose where Polnareff is standing at such a strange angle to the ground that he should definitely have fallen over, but he didn't because it's Jojo.

Like, drat, that car is just so loving hilariously big, it does a great job of showcasing this impossibly large force forcing its way through at whatever cost because Dio wants that fuckin Joestar blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agoLKlxtgqQ

Also, while finding that panel, I found these.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be real, the waldo cameo is great but also the implied fuckedupness of it from the anime was also pretty alright

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

There is so much going on with the panel of the car running people over that it's just sad that it didn't get a proper screen rendition. It's like the Polnareff pose where Polnareff is standing at such a strange angle to the ground that he should definitely have fallen over, but he didn't because it's Jojo.

Like, drat, that car is just so loving hilariously big, it does a great job of showcasing this impossibly large force forcing its way through at whatever cost because Dio wants that fuckin Joestar blood.

im the lady looking at the car and then casually walking into its path

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

im the lady looking at the car and then casually walking into its path

"Oh hell yeah, finally"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Despite all the amazingly weird, cool, and thoughtful Stand battles the best fight will forever be Jonathan pasting Dio when they're kids. It's just so drat cathartic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Despite all the amazingly weird, cool, and thoughtful Stand battles the best fight will forever be Jonathan pasting Dio when they're kids. It's just so drat cathartic

First person jump over a water fountain, slam through a dude, looking like you're on fire, get smashed in the face but give no fucks and beat the hell out of Dio.

So good.