Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

off topic, but pls explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChubbyChecker posted:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

Someone bought a bunch of these a few months ago for reasons unknown.

It's extra confusing because I've never posted in yospos and have no particular interest in computer touching.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bloom posted:

Well sure, but as much as the french hate it not everyone in France speaks french.

e: For example I live in Finland. Signs here are legally required to have their message in finnish and swedish. However, it's not uncommon for them to have english, russian and arabic translations on them as well because that's the sort of thing you do if you're not being a dick.

if you don't speak French in France, you're not a person

spiderbyte posted:

drat, that's interesting. Is there similar areas that are restricted from WW2?

no because you don't have a relatively static front for four years and the amount of artillery that was shot in to a small space during WWI is incredible.

During 8 days at the Somme, Allied artillery alone fired 1.73 million rounds in to a twenty six kilometer long section of the front.

During Messines, Allied artillery alone fired 3.25 million rounds in to about eighteen kilometers of front.

People in Northeast France and Belgium find duds fairly frequently in fields. Germans sometimes dig up unexploded bombs in cities but it's nowhere near the level of risk that the Zone Rouge presents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think the skull gets across the language barrier pretty well.

Ce n'est pas une place d'honneur

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nenonen posted:

Why English and not, say, German or Arabic?

It’s the current lingua franca? Those would both also be reasonable though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hate Jordan Peterson and this thread should too:

https://twitter.com/MoaVideos/status/988768760705171458

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Christ what a moron

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Leaving the skull aside, if we're talking about English specifically "militarie," "defense," and above all "danger" are close enough to the English words that anyone who's actually paying attention to the sign will probably get the idea. Even "mort" can probably be guessed at by a fair few English speakers.

Though that being said, I feel like if you're the kind of tourist who thinks that jumping over barbed wire fences you ran across in rural areas is a good idea, even odds says that you weren't planning on reading any signs any ways.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

People who are just now discovering the Zones Rouge should also look into the Iron Harvest, the annual event in farms all around the old Western Front when the farmers plough their fields, dig up a load of old shells, and leave them neatly in a row by the roadside for the army to take away and dispose of. Make sure you include "-game" in your search to avoid picking up a load of results about some Kickstarter RTS bag of bollocks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has this guy not ever seen even one movie about the Holocaust

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

*extremely Montezuma voice*

sweet some more skulls for my wal-

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you don't speak French in France, you're not a person

no because you don't have a relatively static front for four years and the amount of artillery that was shot in to a small space during WWI is incredible.

During 8 days at the Somme, Allied artillery alone fired 1.73 million rounds in to a twenty six kilometer long section of the front.

During Messines, Allied artillery alone fired 3.25 million rounds in to about eighteen kilometers of front.

People in Northeast France and Belgium find duds fairly frequently in fields. Germans sometimes dig up unexploded bombs in cities but it's nowhere near the level of risk that the Zone Rouge presents.

How about Leningrad or Stalingrad?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Dude thinks because lobster brains are affected by serotonin we should model our interactions on lobster dominance hierarchies and also that foot fetishes are the results of the nerves in our feet terminate in the part of our brain adjacent to where the nerves from our genitals terminate. Also he's a big alt-right fanboy.

If I had a choice between defenestrating Jordan Peterson or Niall Ferguson from a skyscraper you bet your rear end I'm choosing the former.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 25, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

"We assume that Hitler wanted to win. But that's not a very intelligent assumption. Why would you assume that?"

Real edgy argument there, really shocking those complacent sheeple out of their pants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dude thinks because lobster brains are affected by serotonin we should model our interactions on lobster dominance hierarchies and also that foot fetishes are the results of the nerves in our feet terminate in the part of our brain adjacent to where the nerves from our genitals terminate. Also he's a big alt-right fanboy.

If I had a choice between defenestrating Jordan Peterson or Niall Ferguson from a skyscraper you bet your rear end I'm choosing the former.

Serotonin is found in like, every animal. Plants and fungus as well.

Is he a Holocaust denier because sounds like he's arguing that Why Would Hitler Kill Off A Workforce? He Wouldn't.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Serotonin is found in like, every animal. Plants and fungus as well.

Is he a Holocaust denier because sounds like he's arguing that Why Would Hitler Kill Off A Workforce? He Wouldn't.

His argument seems to be "Logically, if you want to win the war, you enslave the Jews instead of killing them. But instead, Hitler killed them. So, logically, he didn't actually want to win the war, he wanted to punish the German people for failing to win the war for him, by not winning the war."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Because as we all know there were never any factories at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just another lazy day here at the Arbeitslager

Tomn posted:

His argument seems to be "Logically, if you want to win the war, you enslave the Jews instead of killing them. But instead, Hitler killed them. So, logically, he didn't actually want to win the war, he wanted to punish the German people for failing to win the war for him, by not winning the war."

drat he blamed the German people for losing the war before it even started I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And the explosion symbol.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Cities that were bombed to this day will still have a construction crew uncovering a dud or bomb where the fuse never went off.
i get a text whenever people find a dud lol

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

drat he blamed the German people for losing the war before it even started I guess.

It's more that "Once they started losing, obviously they were weak and unworthy of him, so he accelerated the rate at which they lost and increased the chaos of defeat in order to punish them."

Also at the end he throws in a bit of "It's an old psychological concept, if you can't understand why someone is doing something, look at the outcome." So his chain of logic goes "Hitler lost the war while doing incredibly stupid, counterproductive things, therefore he must have WANTED to lose the war, our task is to figure out why, and my answer is because he wanted to punish the German people for not living up to his brilliance."

Forget his scholarship, the chain of logic here is fascinatingly dumb.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Ce n'est pas une place d'honneur
everything DOES sound better in french

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

zoux posted:

Just another lazy day here at the Arbeitslager

Honestly, I blame Caesar for the German loss of WW2. I think you really need to go back to his campaigns to trace the root of that loss.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spiderbyte posted:

Honestly, I blame Caesar for the German loss of WW2. I think you really need to go back to his campaigns to trace the root of that loss.

I blame Quinctilius Varus.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

It's more that "Once they started losing, obviously they were weak and unworthy of him, so he accelerated the rate at which they lost and increased the chaos of defeat in order to punish them."

Also at the end he throws in a bit of "It's an old psychological concept, if you can't understand why someone is doing something, look at the outcome." So his chain of logic goes "Hitler lost the war while doing incredibly stupid, counterproductive things, therefore he must have WANTED to lose the war, our task is to figure out why, and my answer is because he wanted to punish the German people for not living up to his brilliance."

i've seen freudians tell people they hated themselves subconsciously because they broke their legs

this dude is a jungian but my point still stands, psychoanalysis is WEEIRD and for a few decades we were weird with them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spiderbyte posted:

Quintus Varius, give me back Army Group Center!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because as we all know there were never any factories at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

"Arbeit macht frei" or "work is forbidden"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

If his point was that Hitler was perhaps more interested in just loving up as much poo poo as possible vice creating a really wonderful beautiful peaceful thousand year reich, I think there's at least something worth exploring there. This video picks up in the middle of whatever this is so I've no idea if this was his point or not.

I know nothing about psychoanalysis and I am not much of an expert on Hitler, so it could be totally off on Mars, but as a well-read layperson the idea that Hitler was just a kind of deranged anarchist who found a particularly good conduit to destroy society seems at least superficially plausible.

I also have never heard of this person before and have no idea if or why he is bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have a headache and am very angry now.

Thanks?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

bewbies posted:

If his point was that Hitler was perhaps more interested in just loving up as much poo poo as possible vice creating a really wonderful beautiful peaceful thousand year reich, I think there's at least something worth exploring there. This video picks up in the middle of whatever this is so I've no idea if this was his point or not.

I know nothing about psychoanalysis and I am not much of an expert on Hitler, so it could be totally off on Mars, but as a well-read layperson the idea that Hitler was just a kind of deranged anarchist who found a particularly good conduit to destroy society seems at least superficially plausible.

Eh, my armchair analysis puts him more at messianic complex who's decisions are heavily influenced by the assumption he'll have to keep rolling boxcars. Also the performance enhancing qualities of IV meth, morphine and bull semen are somewhat overstated.

quote:

I also have never heard of this person before and have no idea if or why he is bad.

hot gently caress does this dude suck. alt right shitbird

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

He's a darling of the various Trumpfucker alt-right factions. He bad.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Well, looking through the Twitter thread, apparently the context of this was a discussion about Cain and Abel as an example of the power of religious archetypes. Appears he threw in this bit about Hitler as an aside during the lecture.

As far as his argument goes, "Hitler started killing the Jews during the war because of a subconscious desire to punish Germany for its failure to overcome the Soviet Union" seems like it'd have a ways to go to compete with "Hitler started killing the Jews during the war because he genuinely believed that Jews were harming the war effort through their plots, as per the whole "stab-in-the-back" myth of WW1."

Edit: Also the Nazi leadership was pretty down with the Final Solution as well, so if you go with the psychoanalysis route of a bruised ego lashing out at Germany you'd also have to make it apply to them on top of Hitler.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 25, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Einsatzgruppen were killing Jews during Barbarossa so if you think Hitler was trying to lose he sure started early

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

*extremely Montezuma voice*

sweet some more skulls for my wal-

How about Leningrad or Stalingrad?

Even in Moscow oblast you get a nice serving of old metal every plowing season. Not really iron harvest levels, but this sort of stuff is extremely common and there's a market in Moscow where you can buy stuff people dug up.

Sometimes they'll find a huge thing like a tank in a forest, which is harder to sell, but not impossible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine how much unexploded poo poo is littered all over the Laos/Vietnam border.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not unexploded ordnance, but didn't people make canoes out of discarded drop tanks in Vietnam?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This is neat

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinmen_knife

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Siivola posted:

It's not unexploded ordnance, but didn't people make canoes out of discarded drop tanks in Vietnam?

gavins?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine how much unexploded poo poo is littered all over the Laos/Vietnam border.

It's a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7GaRwrr8Q

Someone in this video literally built the foundation of their house from old ordinance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bloom posted:

Isn't this the kind of sign that really should have an english translation on it? Sure it's the French being French but if you're dealing with people potentially losing life&limbs and being exposed to toxic chemicals, maybe tell the academie to suck it?

I think you'd have a hard time finding an English speaker wouldn't at least understand the gist of that sign.

zoux posted:

Dude makes like $40,000/month on Patreon for being a stern father figure for the alt-right. He literally does not care about truth.