Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
How much harder is give me a challenge? Normal seems a bit too easy or does it ramp up? I just finished Alfheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nifft posted:

How much harder is give me a challenge? Normal seems a bit too easy or does it ramp up? I just finished Alfheim.

It's pretty dang hard, especially if you try to take on some of the optional dungeons and rift bosses before you have a full complement of skills and gear. The storyline quests seem to be significantly easier than the side content, by and large.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nifft posted:

You can change the difficulty any time so you can just try it out

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Nifft posted:

It's ... a challenge. But the difficulty scaling breaks down once you beat the first area and buy gear. I didn't buy gear to be safe so it was kinda tricky, but it's still the ideal difficulty for me.

I played TLOU on Hard and was frustrated with 3-ish areas I was stuck in. Not so with GoW, and it's way more satisfying to beat a boss or win a fight when you earned it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ufarn posted:

He'll run out of stories eventually, but he picks up new ones when the story progresses. He's basically the main plot exposition so row around or take a stroll down Yggdrasil and see if he chinwags.

I'm at endgame right now, or at least I think I am - I just killed Baldr - and he's been out of stories for quite some time now. Since I only heard a handful of Kratos stories, and basically everything that people have posted about those stories isn't something I heard. I'm all but out of sidequests too, with only some treasure maps and stuff like the remaining Valkyries or the Impossible Muspelheim stuff left to do besides finishing the main story. I guess if I found the remaining 2 shrines then that person would get more stories too.

I was hoping to hear Kratos tell more bad stories and not understand jokes while I look for the rest of the treasure maps.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Over There posted:

Yeah I was thinking about this last night. It was probably a feature that was going to be in the game but they took it out.

I just assumed it was representing your health regen during spartan rage.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Nifft posted:

I'd be impressed to see the gameplay of the person beating the final valkerie boss on anything above normal.

Even on easy, with the best gear upgraded to max, it was a brutally close and difficult fight.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kin posted:

I'd be impressed to see the gameplay of the person beating the final valkerie boss on anything above normal.

Even on easy, with the best gear upgraded to max, it was a brutally close and difficult fight.

I only gave it one shot on easy last night, but yeah. She pushed my poo poo in, hard. I'm going to work on upgrading my armor and such tonight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i almost want to start a "give me god of war" playthrough NOW, but Ill wait to beat the game first

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
wait can i have two games going simultaneously?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

wait can i have two games going simultaneously?

This game has manual saving (hit triangle while you’re in the menus) so I don’t see why not.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BOY!!!!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Thumbtacks posted:

i almost want to start a "give me god of war" playthrough NOW, but Ill wait to beat the game first

It's not worth it. It makes every encounter an exercise in frustration and the combat system wasn't really designed for that difficulty level. It's also stupidly hard in the first 6 hours, then it gets progressively easier and it feels like Give Me A Challenge but cheaper.

For example, the fact that the axe throw pointer is so small (and loving white, of all colors you could think in a nordic mythology setting) makes it harder to quickly aim where you want to. This is absolutely a nitpicky thing on any playthrough except Give Me God Of War because here not throwing the axe in time might get you one shot on several occasions, like Magni throwing Modi in their boss fight.. I'm under the impression Santa Monica knew the highest difficulty level felt like poo poo / wasn't tested enough because there's no trophy for completing it.

Honestly Give Me A Challenge is the same thing but fun, the only thing you learn at the other level is how to cheese fights over and over again.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Probably going to beat this by the end of the week

:smith:

I love it so much

:unsmith:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Throwing and recalling the axe is super satisfying.

Like, for every reason that everyone thought the Razorwind was the best weapon in Turok 2, the axe does the same but better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Crusher posted:

Like, for every reason that everyone thought the Razorwind was the best weapon in Turok 2, the axe does the same but better.

Yeah, I kind of wish there was a skill that let you send it out again before it came all the way back. That way I could just mash the two buttons to create a blender.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This game is just too good. I've been playing it waaaaay too much when I get home from work, and loving my sleep schedule (what little schedule I had tbf), then diving in for a couple hours before work to do sidequests. I want to finish the story ASAP, though, because there's so much to talk about even just where I am now. I can only imagine how much more I'll want to discuss once I've hit the end!

I think I have two or three more decent sessions before I'm done, I've hit a point where it clearly tells me, hey get some poo poo done before you blow the horn again but I'm 100% positive it's only a temporary lockout from the hub world and I'll probably have more story to do after that, too!!

GAME GOOD

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'ma be real sad when this story's done. But I left a lot of the optional stuff for after I finish. Plus there's a few things intended to be done post-game, yeah?

e: I never thought that a God of War game, of all loving games, is one where I'd be chomping at the bit to complete it so I can talk about the story. I'm incredibly happy I broke my launch day rule for this b/c navigating a minefield of spoilers for a few months to wait for the price to drop would have really ruined the experience, imo, because there's no way I'd be able to go in spoiler free.

smart move releasing it on 4/20 b/c honestly I probably wouldn't have broken my rule if it wasn't weed day. I always like to treat myself to something nice on weed day.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 25, 2018

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but there’s an option to change all the button mashing sequences so that you just hold down the button instead. If you’re like me and hate mashing X when you move a boulder or whatever, I highly recommend it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Trillhouse posted:

I dunno if anyone else has mentioned it, but there’s an option to change all the button mashing sequences so that you just hold down the button instead. If you’re like me and hate mashing X when you move a boulder or whatever, I highly recommend it.

Button holding master race

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

This is in the accessibility menu for anyone looking for it. I thought about it for a bit but there's not that many of them so I just went with the usual mash.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Crusher posted:

The best weapon in Turok 2 was actually the Cerebral Bore.

Or at least it was when I was 14.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

People dismissed me months ago when I said Aloy needed a boomerang in Horizon 2, where are all those haters now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

I'm incredibly happy I broke my launch day rule for this b/c navigating a minefield of spoilers for a few months to wait for the price to drop would have really ruined the experience, imo, because there's no way I'd be able to go in spoiler free.

Yea, every once in a while a game like this comes out that really demands to be played at launch because it's head and shoulders above anything else out there. And it just feels good to play along with everyone else who bought the game and be able to participate in the discussion while there's still so much enthusiasm for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, every once in a while a game like this comes out that really demands to be played at launch because it's head and shoulders above anything else out there. And it just feels good to play along with everyone else who bought the game and be able to participate in the discussion while there's still so much enthusiasm for it.

Exactly. I'm sad I missed out on that with Horizon and NieR:A. It's nice to be caught up in the launch week zeitgeist with a game that has a great story.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So after doing the mist rewards I think I might actually go ahead and platinum this.

The ravens might not even feel as tedious after the mist stuff.

The loot stuff is still the weakest part of the game though. So much needles grinding for items that aren't even that good.

I know I'm playing on easy, but at the end of the game I don't think there's any real variety in combat gameplay achieved by having different stats.

Like I spam the boy to inflict stun, but I still use the summons, throw the axe and switch from weapon to weapon. I also use the runic powers too and I'm tailoring my approach based on enemy rather than my stats.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

People dismissed me months ago when I said Aloy needed a boomerang in Horizon 2, where are all those haters now.

HZD is my favorite game of the last 37 years and I can't think of really anything I would want changed in it, outside of super minor stuff, but I will admit I wouldn't mind some sort of Leviathan-Axe-type weapon in a sequel.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This story line is so loving long, Jesus. I think I’m about 40 hours in and I still havent beaten it and there are a ton of side quests I still haven’t done

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like that Atreus and Kratos have a dialogue justifying exploring around after every major story event that allows you to.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Thread title game looking good

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Over There posted:

Thread title game looking good

Thread of the Year to go with Game of the Year.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
BOY. It took 8 years to make!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
BOY is a better killing machine than Kratos. I'm fighting these bosses where he has to sit out on the side and I'm like.. get the BOY in here and let him kill this poo poo in under a minute with his arrows of loving doom. This poo poo is tiring for an old man.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
BOY. wrecks travelers too. They are very susceptible to his stun arrows.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Also please use the squirrel spirit ability. He's snarky as gently caress and owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I love the boar summon to set up the ice giant smash heavy runic attack and EZ grab kills.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

shortspecialbus posted:

HZD is my favorite game of the last 37 years and I can't think of really anything I would want changed in it, outside of super minor stuff, but I will admit I wouldn't mind some sort of Leviathan-Axe-type weapon in a sequel.

exquisite tea posted:

aloy doesn't need more ranged weapons, she needs more mobility

i would counter with "give her kratos' chaos blades and let her use them like hookshots"

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It doesn't look like there is going to be DLC for this. I'm actually surprised by that. There is no mention anywhere of any DLC and they don't have a special deluxe edition that includes the season pass. Good on you Santa Monica studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Diabetic posted:

It doesn't look like there is going to be DLC for this. I'm actually surprised by that. There is no mention anywhere of any DLC and they don't have a special deluxe edition that includes the season pass. Good on you Santa Monica studios.

Honestly a little sad, but DLC has become a blanket term for both "new area with 5 hours of voice acted questlines" and "pay cash to make the tattoos blue instead of red" so let's say "I'm sad there aren't any expansion packs planned because it likely means waiting at least a couple years for more BOY! instead of months"