Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

How old, if you don't mind my asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Blick is sending me a new brush either way, so that's good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Schadenboner posted:

How old, if you don't mind my asking?

He’s 6, so we play dadhammer, basically Yahtzee with models, haha. Mostly I tell him what to roll and he gets to beat me a lot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

He’s 6, so we play dadhammer, basically Yahtzee with models, haha. Mostly I tell him what to roll and he gets to beat me a lot.

I gave my son some old space marine codexes and he sits around reading them all day long. This will be me soon I think.

Also great to see you painting some stuff. :catdrugs:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PaintVagrant posted:

Mine is 4 and I’m just starting to get active in ‘Hams again so I’m watching for the point when I can really start getting him involved.

Huh?
Jul 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

tehsid posted:

Something different today! A converted Hotwheels car for use in Gaslands by Ospray games. So much fun to make something a Mad Max style car with spare stuff I had from other kids and stuff found around the house. Had a ball with it!

Love it!

This one, too.

I've been doing this off-and-on for a while. A few of my favorites:

I'm looking for better guns and stuff, rather than (poorly) scratch-building them out of beads and such, but I'm having fun with them! =)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Thanks, they were my first WWII minis and I was really happy with the way they turned out.

The recipe for my US GIs is as follows (and in the order that I do it):
Boots: VMC Flat Brown
Gaiters: VMC German Camo Beige
Pants: VMC US Field Drab
Skin: VMC Flat Flesh
Jackets: VMC German Camo Beige
Web gear (canteen covers, packs, suspenders, gun slings): 3:2 mix of VMC Russian Uniform and VMC Pastel Green
^^^ (You could probably get away with VMC Khaki here, but it looked a little too tan/brown)
Helmets & e-tool handles: VMC US Dark Green
Helmet strap: VMC Flat Brown
Gun stocks: VMC Mahogany Brown
-----
!!!MinWax Magic!!! (Antique Walnut gloss)
Testors Dull-Cote
-----
Gun barrels and canteen caps: VMC Black
Gun barrels: drybrush of Ral Partha Steel (but you could use any suitably dark metallic, there are loads out there).

Optional:
Dark metallic on any exposed buttons/snaps if you want those details to pop a little more (I don't bother)
Eyes if you're feeling feisty (I'm a crackhead)

So just a handful of colors and only a single mix. I was amazed how fast I could crank them out. Doing all the little web-gear straps is what takes the longest.

Awesome thanks! I've got some 15mm infantry to work on and this might be perfect.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

For when you need to stake a really big vampire.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

I gave my son some old space marine codexes and he sits around reading them all day long. This will be me soon I think.

Also great to see you painting some stuff. :catdrugs:

Thanks my dude :)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Huh? posted:

I've been doing this off-and-on for a while. A few of my favorites:

I'm looking for better guns and stuff, rather than (poorly) scratch-building them out of beads and such, but I'm having fun with them! =)

These are great! I've been tempted to build them all without weapons, so that when I demo them I can give people a choice of what is equipped. It would also save me time AND money!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Dadhammer is best hammer. My son has been playing since 5 (he is 6 now). He even paints his own mans... Badly.. has his own paints.

He asked for the gw project box for his birthday /swoon. I know it is over priced. But he really wanted it so he has something to break out and paint next to me. Good times!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

And done.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Awesome thanks! I've got some 15mm infantry to work on and this might be perfect.
Right on! Let me know how it goes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Those are some good looking cyberpunks

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Dunecrawler is about 95% done. Still need to gloss-cote the glass pieces and lacquer the whole thing. But I'm really digging how it turned out. His weapon is entirely magnetized, so I can swap it out with his 3 other variations. I even magnetized the pilot's head, so I can swivel it about or swap it out.

Now to start the second Dunecrawler I have. And the two Warglaives. And a Tech Priest. And the 20 Skitarii. And Belisarius Cawl...

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 25, 2018

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man these Metal n' Alchemy paints are absolutely loving gorgeous. Picked up the copper set and they're worth the cost and the hype. Haven't even put anything down except a layer of the Decayed Metal colour and it looks 10 times better than the GW tin bitz I used on the first killa kan.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 25, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Man these Metal n' Alchemy paints are absolutely loving gorgeous. Picked up the copper set and they're worth the cost and the hype. Haven't even put anything down except a layer of the Decayed Metal colour and it looks 10 times better than the GW tin bitz I used on the first killa kan.

I've been looking for the Steel set stateside forever, at this point I should just import it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Booyah- posted:

I've been looking for the Steel set stateside forever, at this point I should just import it.

https://scale75usa.myshopify.com/collections/paint-sets-scale-color/products/metal-n-alchemy-steel-paint-set ?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

For some reason I thought that this was international shipping, but I don't see that written anywhere so I'll just go with it. Thanks!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I was just on that site this morning contemplating buying all dem paints.

My wife would give me the evil eye if I went from [current absurd number of paints] to [current absurd number of paints]+150.

[current absurd number of paints] is at least 300.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Man, it's super frustrating trying to find this sweet spot between "unthinned paint that I can't move around at all" and "Woops, now it's a wash that just wicks everywhere as soon as I get the brush anywhere near the model" Specifically talking about putting bronze trim on my 'zerker armor. Of the two shades of red I got, Reaper's Bloody Red is WAY too dark, almost a mahogany, so I'm using the Carnage Red and I guess Ill have to mix it with some white to highlight?. I'm using Reaper's Ancient Bronze, which gets a really strange almost pinkish color when I thin it, but it dries just fine. Also, Mrs. Bad Guy insisted on getting some trash-tier brushes (a set of three for 4 dollars, lol) for me to learn with, despite "but honey, the internet mans say good brushes are really important!" so that's probably not helping. I definitely want to make a wet pallet, the small amount of paint I'm working with at a time dries out really fast.

Sorry for the lovely cellphone pic.

I'm expecting/hoping that once I'm done with the actual colors, some sepia wash will help things pop. Science!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Mixing red with white makes pink. Mix in some bright orange, instead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Can you put up a picture when you're about done, and can you say how they compare to the Vallejo Metal Colors?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Fell off the painting horse real bad a few months ago. Getting back in the saddle with some skeletons, which are always easy and satisfying.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Can you put up a picture when you're about done, and can you say how they compare to the Vallejo Metal Colors?

Well I'm still an amateur and not a fantastic painter by any means and don't have any of the VMC to compare it to but I sat and painted a bit today. My crappy phone camera probably doesn't do them justice but they have great coverage and really fine mica really makes them pop.

e: better pics

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Im the fuel gauge.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Im the fuel gauge.

I tried to paint teeny tiny white lines in there but ended up just putting on a huge blob and had to redo it :downs:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Man, it's super frustrating trying to find this sweet spot between "unthinned paint that I can't move around at all" and "Woops, now it's a wash that just wicks everywhere as soon as I get the brush anywhere near the model" Specifically talking about putting bronze trim on my 'zerker armor. Of the two shades of red I got, Reaper's Bloody Red is WAY too dark, almost a mahogany, so I'm using the Carnage Red and I guess Ill have to mix it with some white to highlight?. I'm using Reaper's Ancient Bronze, which gets a really strange almost pinkish color when I thin it, but it dries just fine. Also, Mrs. Bad Guy insisted on getting some trash-tier brushes (a set of three for 4 dollars, lol) for me to learn with, despite "but honey, the internet mans say good brushes are really important!" so that's probably not helping. I definitely want to make a wet pallet, the small amount of paint I'm working with at a time dries out really fast.

Sorry for the lovely cellphone pic.

I'm expecting/hoping that once I'm done with the actual colors, some sepia wash will help things pop. Science!

The nice thing is that wet pallets are cheap! You just need a disposable tupperware-style container with as flat a bottom as you can get.

When highlighting with red, you'll want to add a brighter orange or yellow instead of pure white. White + red = pink, so it can look weird on that type of bad-guy blood red armor.

The resolution on that pic is a little low, but from what I can tell the color looks very even and no details are clogged by too thick paint. You'll be happy after the wash!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

Fell off the painting horse real bad a few months ago. Getting back in the saddle with some skeletons, which are always easy and satisfying.

These are good skeletons. I like the green

Content: I painted another blade slave

And here’s the family all together

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Booyah- posted:

The nice thing is that wet pallets are cheap! You just need a disposable tupperware-style container with as flat a bottom as you can get.

from what i'm seeing this is just a wet paper towel and parchment paper?

http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/articles/wetpalette.html

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well I'm still an amateur and not a fantastic painter by any means and don't have any of the VMC to compare it to but I sat and painted a bit today. My crappy phone camera probably doesn't do them justice but they have great coverage and really fine mica really makes them pop.

Thanks. That's a mighty fine coppery shade you have going there.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Yes.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So with these Reaper paints in the dropper bottles, after I squeeze out a few drops to use, it seems like as much if not more paint continues to bubble out once I set the bottle down. The Pure Black in particular is super thick out of the bottle and it just oozes out forever. Looks like Hexxus from Fern Gully. Am I managing to do something as simple as squeezing paint of a bottle wrong?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Deviant posted:

Yeah, I put a cheap sponge underneath the towel which makes it a little easier to control how wet the palette is by water level.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So with these Reaper paints in the dropper bottles, after I squeeze out a few drops to use, it seems like as much if not more paint continues to bubble out once I set the bottle down. The Pure Black in particular is super thick out of the bottle and it just oozes out forever. Looks like Hexxus from Fern Gully. Am I managing to do something as simple as squeezing paint of a bottle wrong?

I try to make a point to squeeze out a little air first, then tip the bottle and squeeze paint out. When I let go the air that came out first makes enough of a vacuum to pull the now-at-the-top paint back in instead of it bubbling and annoying me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bird food bathtub posted:

I try to make a point to squeeze out a little air first, then tip the bottle and squeeze paint out. When I let go the air that came out first makes enough of a vacuum to pull the now-at-the-top paint back in instead of it bubbling and annoying me.

It also leaves a bruise that way.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Well that's just perfectly simply and obvious in retrospect, thanks!

Schadenboner posted:

It also leaves a bruise that way.

I don't know what this means, though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well that's just perfectly simply and obvious in retrospect, thanks!

I don't know what this means, though.

I think it's from dodgeball or something? I dunno, I saw it on a macro once.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Your paints are always n -3

N is the amount you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Which one should I get? Main use will be magnetizing plastic/resin models. It seems dumb to get the tiny thing that is more expensive, but I've read dremels can melt the plastic if they are too strong?