Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wait until gas spikes in price and they are left with nothing but low-fuel-economy vehicles. What could go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, how do they meet their fleet average fuel economy numbers?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:eng101: You don't have to worry about your fleet average if you don't have a fleet!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Trump EPA will revise Obama fuel efficiency, greenhouse gas emissions rules for autos

With the EPA doing industry's bidding automakers' mentality is probably headed back to the 50s - gas will be plentiful and below $2/gallon forever and the government isn't forcing us to make them, so why would you need a small fuel-efficient car?!?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Thanks man. It's a giant loving weight off of my shoulders. It's a bit out of the way, but close to 2 really nice lakes and a massive shooting range so I think I'll be happy. Single car garage, which sucks, but it's big enough that I'll still be able to work on a car.

Good poo poo man. Where did you wind up? (Mostly because I can't think of any decent lakes near tampa. Which is 1/2 the reason I don't ever freshwater fish.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ford killing the fiesta again. Need to stock up.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Good poo poo man. Where did you wind up? (Mostly because I can't think of any decent lakes near tampa. Which is 1/2 the reason I don't ever freshwater fish.)

Lakeland, out near Tenoroc.

I've never gotten in to saltwater fishing, and never known anyone who does it, so I've really never even tried. Always wanted to, though. It's just so different that I feel like I need someone to walk me through basics.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Headlines like this and the guy who killed a journalist in a home made submarine keep making me recheck I’m not in the middle of a fever dream or stroke.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

MomJeans420 posted:

I must read AI too much because I do remember that, and I just had to ask my wife what we did last Friday night.

In other news, Ford will trim it's North American car lineup to just two cars, the Mustang and a new Focus Active crossover.

This isn't satire? I was really expecting that to be an Onion link

stump
Jan 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/julkinen/status/989273858980171777

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:bravo:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

QuarkMartial posted:

I am glad to hear this, the trailer for this looks really funny.

Movie is amazing.

Took my SS to the dealer for the brakes, as there is a TSB that's supposed to quiet them down a bit. Had them look at a clunking in the front (found, replacing sway bar links) and replacing a window seal, and should all be under warranty. I'm mixed on the service at this place, but it makes 2/3 times they've been better than just average. Even have a 15 mile shuttle. So good?

Also got rid of a bunch of crap in my garage tonight but found a huge mouse or rat in a box (dunno why he's in my garage, there's nothing to eat) but not sure if he made it outside or not. Guess I'll set some traps tomorrow.

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 26, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hasn't Ford done this before? Trimmed it down while they work on new world platforms?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

That's some dumb as gently caress poo poo right there.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's some dumb as gently caress poo poo right there.

A lot of the comments are dumb as gently caress too.

Some people defend the decision by claiming it's not a big deal. Because SUVs are where the money is at.

Or they point out that people who buy the (more expensive) crossover are only losing a few mpg compared to sedans that have crappy gas mileage. And that somehow means that increases in gas prices won't be a thing.

Or that there is no use for Ford going after the sedan segment because becoming the next Toyota Corolla would take too much effort.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

stump posted:

Headlines like this and the guy who killed a journalist in a home made submarine keep making me recheck I’m not in the middle of a fever dream or stroke.

You know the sub guy was a goon too?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A goon worked with him, now that goon translates the court decisions and stuff for the thread.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well... At the least the FiST, FoST, and FoRS were a thing. However brief.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What are we going to call this era? Malaise is a good descriptor for the 70s, I always liked Neo-malaise for the 2000s jellybeans. What's the CUV glut going to be called?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Electric Shaver Malaise

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Lakeland, out near Tenoroc.

I've never gotten in to saltwater fishing, and never known anyone who does it, so I've really never even tried. Always wanted to, though. It's just so different that I feel like I need someone to walk me through basics.

Same poo poo, you just replace the fake/real worms with fake/real shrimp :v:

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

KakerMix posted:

What are we going to call this era?
Despair

next up will be the all self-driving anguish period.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The 2020 Groggys?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Been sinking myself deep into Forza 7 again and I'm in love with the IMSA Cougar. I wonder if the Roush museum still has one.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Same poo poo, you just replace the fake/real worms with fake/real shrimp :v:

Pretty much. A good reel has stainless bearings anymore anyways and the drag from a modern mid tier reel matches the drag from a higher tier inshore reel from 5 years ago. I use braid no matter where I'm fishing so literally all I do is swap out my lures and let 'er rip. And unless we're talking deep sea, the techniques and general idea of where to fish are really similar.

Oh, and saltwater stuff has more teeth. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh, and saltwater stuff has more teeth. :v:

And barbs, don't gently caress with a stingray if you hook one just cut the loving line, I've seen too many people get stuck trying to get the hook out.

I hooked a huge eagle ray once, that was something :stare:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

2 words, electric cars. It's how every manufacturer pads their fleet fuel economy numbers. Manufacturers don't give a poo poo that nobody is buying lovely range electric vehicles because they get subsidized anyway, so let Joe tax payer foot the bill for higher mpg targets.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

KakerMix posted:

What are we going to call this era? Malaise is a good descriptor for the 70s, I always liked Neo-malaise for the 2000s jellybeans. What's the CUV glut going to be called?

Honestly while the late 90s and early 2000s were very Malaisey I believe that in 30 years we'll look back at the 2010s as the second musclecar/horsepower renaissance.

In 15 years most new cars will be electric CUVs.

In three years we see $5/gallon gas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Honestly while the late 90s and early 2000s were very Malaisey I believe that in 30 years we'll look back at the 2010s as the second musclecar/horsepower renaissance.

In 15 years most new cars will be electric CUVs.

In three years we see $5/gallon gas.

We had $4.70 gas a few years ago.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Rhyno posted:

MY NEIGHBOR LET ME WALK HIS HUSKIES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvs-_PsZ1Q

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seminal Flu posted:

Wait until gas spikes in price and they are left with nothing but low-fuel-economy vehicles. What could go wrong.

Yeah, Fiat's killing the Dodge Dart and the Chrysler 200 as well. I always wonder if it ever enters the minds of these companies that first party sales are down because people can't afford what they're pushing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Man gets sentenced for :filez: when he didn't have :filez: and Microsoft had already been paid for operating systems that he made restore disks for (in major bulk).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c32e395e4318

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, Fiat's killing the Dodge Dart and the Chrysler 200 as well. I always wonder if it ever enters the minds of these companies that first party sales are down because people can't afford what they're pushing.

Not sure it's the car makers fault entirely on that one - Wages are stagnant, cost of living is exploding, house prices are going insane everywhere, the cost of medical is breaking so many people, schooling is dumping people with enormous debt.....

Car prices havent really moved by comparison for the last 15 years and with some car makers have even gone down. Car prices in the USA have always been absurdly low compared to anywhere else but still, it's not like they have taken off like pretty much anything else has. I would say that this is one area where car makers have been pretty drat good in keeping product prices stable over a long time, people not being able to afford to buy new isnt really their fault.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd unfortunatly automotive whitegoods sell and red roaring high octane car nuts are a narrowing buyer sector. Let alone older cars ARE more interesting than the latest bells and whistles crap... somethign that yet again I'm reminded of now my old Forester with 370,000kms is back on the road, it's more fundamentally fun than the high tech with the works but still not as rewarding to throw about Levorg. Sure, on a long trip the Levorg is amazing to cruise and if I go up north it's the car I pack but if I want to be an idiot the Forester is the go to... let alone the Forester can be modifed so cheaply these days that it's a no brainer which one I take to the station and which one I go to a track.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Seminal Flu posted:

Man gets sentenced for :filez: when he didn't have :filez: and Microsoft had already been paid for operating systems that he made restore disks for (in major bulk).

When did copyright infringment become a crime?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elephanthead posted:

They were printed restore discs that Microsoft has freely downloadable and he never sold any. What was the crime again (especially since the discs would have no use unless operated in a machine that already had a Microsoft Windows Operating System purchased for the device)?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Read between the lines tho - he was selling discs with the Dell / Windows logos on them. BIG no no right there, that is the literal definition of a counterfeit good.

The copyright laws are 100% clear on this one too. He had zero right to be charging money, let alone zero right to be copying in bulk. No miscarriage of justice, Microsoft isnt being the Big Bad, it's straight up one loving idiot who should have realised in about two seconds to gently caress with a large corporations copyright is to invoke the legal verison of Thanos coming to stomp on your rear end.

His excuses and sob story is honestly laughable in the face of just how clear copyright law is on this one. Oh and I might add, it's the strength of copyright law that gives the GPL and other open source licensing such real teeth to bite hard on infringers.

quote:

See above about definition of a counterfeit good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 26, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
He was selling them, for $0.25. I think that's what the problem was.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Liquid Communism posted:

Those have been dead for awhile, though.

This sucks, but no one can pretend like it wasn't coming. No one is buying those cars outside of fleets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

He was selling them, for $0.25. I think that's what the problem was.

From the article "the discs were never sold."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Read between the lines tho - he was selling discs with the Dell / Windows logos on them.

How is that reading between the lines? It's making up details that weren't in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not sure it's the car makers fault entirely on that one - Wages are stagnant, cost of living is exploding, house prices are going insane everywhere, the cost of medical is breaking so many people, schooling is dumping people with enormous debt.....

Car prices havent really moved by comparison for the last 15 years and with some car makers have even gone down. Car prices in the USA have always been absurdly low compared to anywhere else but still, it's not like they have taken off like pretty much anything else has. I would say that this is one area where car makers have been pretty drat good in keeping product prices stable over a long time, people not being able to afford to buy new isnt really their fault.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd unfortunatly automotive whitegoods sell and red roaring high octane car nuts are a narrowing buyer sector. Let alone older cars ARE more interesting than the latest bells and whistles crap... somethign that yet again I'm reminded of now my old Forester with 370,000kms is back on the road, it's more fundamentally fun than the high tech with the works but still not as rewarding to throw about Levorg. Sure, on a long trip the Levorg is amazing to cruise and if I go up north it's the car I pack but if I want to be an idiot the Forester is the go to... let alone the Forester can be modifed so cheaply these days that it's a no brainer which one I take to the station and which one I go to a track.

I think I may have come off wrong. I'm more bemoaning that what they're cutting is most of their affordable models. The truck and SUV lines all start in the $20k range, it seems. I know part of that cost is meeting current safety standards, but then I see the entertainment systems they are putting in and wonder who the target market is. Or I try to find a barebones manual transmission vehicle. :psyduck:

• Locked thread