Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You can't talk about gunplay without mentioning Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades.

Yes, there is no multiplayer, yes, the gameplay is limited - But the actual guns are modeled in absurd detail and they feel heftier and more visceral than any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed this video came out a week ago, it is very good.

Infinadeck is apparently a very small operation and very ballsy to invite a fellow engineer to do a story about it; the whole time they're explaining all the limitations and challenges to overcome instead of trying to sell it. It's refreshing that they're comfortable just iterating for as long as it takes, as opposed to whipping up Kickstarters left and right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvu5FxKuqdQ

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Geisladisk posted:

You can't talk about gunplay without mentioning Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades.

Yes, there is no multiplayer, yes, the gameplay is limited - But the actual guns are modeled in absurd detail and they feel heftier and more visceral than any other game.

Seconding this. It's definitely more a sim than anything else and I would never recommend it to VR newbies, but h3vr has completely spoiled my ability to get immersed in any other VR shooter.

It's a little more user friendly now than it was a year ago with a tutorial/introductory area and more game-ified modes so if you tried it a while back and weren't feeling it, grab the alpha branch and give it another spin

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Macintosh HD posted:

On the other hand, the WMR products seem like they would be a hit for the flight and race sims. Those games are going to use joysticks or wheels and won’t need the super great controllers that come with Vive and Oculus.

Yup. I got a Lenovo Explorer for $200 and it's been great for iRacing, IL-2, and other games that only need a headset. Even for shooters and such, it's been serviceable, though the spotty tracking is a pain in games where your hands regularly leave your view for more than a moment.

Also, Racket Fury is loving great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've played Onward, and own Stand Out and Pavlov.

Pavlov is where I spend most of my time. It's really fun and satisfying. Stand Out is really cool too, but it's a battle Royale game and you spend your time pixel hunting.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Geisladisk posted:

H3 does indeed own, I really wish he would license his weapon tech to someone who could make it into an actual game though.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shine posted:

Yup. I got a Lenovo Explorer for $200 and it's been great for iRacing, IL-2, and other games that only need a headset. Even for shooters and such, it's been serviceable, though the spotty tracking is a pain in games where your hands regularly leave your view for more than a moment.

Also, Racket Fury is loving great.

Woah how did you get IL-2 to work? I heard it has a problem with all WMR devices due to the way IL-2 handles the IPD stuff. I have an WMR coming tonight so I’m super curious.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I want to get a Samsung Odyssey for Elite Dangerous but I can't give up Oculus' Riftcore 2.0.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish I could just buy only the headset.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Cojawfee posted:

I wish I could just buy only the headset.

I think you could grab the Samsung Odyssey and use the Vive controllers with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new Echo Arena update is sooooo much better. There's a full half-court training area now, and you can spawn a personal disc from your arm computer. No more slapfights over the one practice disk in the tiny practice arena :allears:.

They've also improved the most important lobby feature of all; The dinosaur toys. There's a T-Rex as well as a Brontosaurus now, and they roar when you press the trigger on the Touch/Vive Wand holding it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oh, this is hilarious.

So, in SkyrimVR news, USSEP 4.1.3 was released and MAY cause problems with marriage and adoption in SkyrimVR (possibly). The 4.1.2a version does not have this issue. However, the 4.1.2a version was removed when the 4.1.3 version went online. Not a big problem, right? Just contact the mod author and request they keep the older version online in the meantime.

Well, the guy who created USSEP is Arthmoor, the biggest loving loser on NexusMods. Anybody who is at all acquainted with Skyrim modding (or followed the modding thread here on SA) knows how much of an absolute shitlord that guy is. And now the whole entire SkyrimVR community is being forced to interact with him and all the hilarity that entails.

He's already trying to get people from /r/skyrimvr banned from NexusMods for mirroring the old version of the mod.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Knifegrab posted:

Hey I'm getting a free vive pro woohoo!

Anyhow I saw a video on pavlov vr, is it the "best" VR multiplayer shooter?

A lot of people have mentioned some of the other big ones, like Stand Out, H3VR, Onward, etc, but I just wanted to mention that Payday 2 has full VR capabilities now, and is awesome and super cheap for the amount of content you get, especially since it's almost always on sale (like right now, for instance, and it's even a free week so you can try it without even buying it). Now it might not count if your definition of 'multiplayer shooter' is competitive instead of cooperative, but it's definitely my favorite at the moment out of all my VR games.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FutureCop posted:

A lot of people have mentioned some of the other big ones, like Stand Out, H3VR, Onward, etc, but I just wanted to mention that Payday 2 has full VR capabilities now, and is awesome and super cheap for the amount of content you get, especially since it's almost always on sale (like right now, for instance, and it's even a free week so you can try it without even buying it). Now it might not count if your definition of 'multiplayer shooter' is competitive instead of cooperative, but it's definitely my favorite at the moment out of all my VR games.

This is true and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise. Payday 2 VR has problems. It’s not perfect. But god drat is it a good fun game. It’s sooo much better than flat screen it’s not even funny and being in VR with some broz/gurlz all in wacky masks robbing banks and poo poo. Nothing beats it.

So ya. Payday 2.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I tried payday 2 in vr but I never played it before and was really really confused as to what was happening/what to do

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah same, I was able to figure out how to get into a game and thats about it, I can see perks and skill points and gear and poo poo but I couldn't figure out how to buy or use them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It comes with the non-VR version so probably play that a few times to get the basics down first.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Messing around in Unity, I finally got a sphere to permanently deforms when you whack it with a hammer. The harder you whack the more it deforms. Trying to create some basic prototype of a smithing game, I think it'd be fun

https://i.imgur.com/sOfy2qx.gifv

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s pretty neat, how’d you go about that?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

Messing around in Unity, I finally got a sphere to permanently deforms when you whack it with a hammer. The harder you whack the more it deforms. Trying to create some basic prototype of a smithing game, I think it'd be fun

https://i.imgur.com/sOfy2qx.gifv

That's really cool, games that make use of manual dexterity like that is what VR needs more of. Also, smithing is really fun, so being able to do it without access to a forge would be great.

I've been meaning to try making a welding sim for a while now, but haven't bee able to get started on it. Not sure if I can pull if off though.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Nalin posted:

Oh, this is hilarious.

So, in SkyrimVR news, USSEP 4.1.3 was released and MAY cause problems with marriage and adoption in SkyrimVR (possibly). The 4.1.2a version does not have this issue. However, the 4.1.2a version was removed when the 4.1.3 version went online. Not a big problem, right? Just contact the mod author and request they keep the older version online in the meantime.

Well, the guy who created USSEP is Arthmoor, the biggest loving loser on NexusMods. Anybody who is at all acquainted with Skyrim modding (or followed the modding thread here on SA) knows how much of an absolute shitlord that guy is. And now the whole entire SkyrimVR community is being forced to interact with him and all the hilarity that entails.

He's already trying to get people from /r/skyrimvr banned from NexusMods for mirroring the old version of the mod.

I know this may be unpopular opinion for skyrim modding, but I never end up keeping USSEP in my modlist because I end up with the game having even weirder bugs. Never seen what it actually fixes in game. Outside of that custom voice line the guy adds if you kill the first dragon in game.

Unrelated to this topic; I bought a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and I'm kind of annoyed that an accessory like this isn't part of the default package with the Vive, it feels WAY better to have this on compared to the tiny strap it comes with. Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the built-in mic in the Vive though? I was using my own wireless headphones that had a built in mic prior, but with the DAS on, the built-in Vive mic doesn't seem to really pick up for me too well.

I'm kind of tempted to mount a mic to this thing...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Last night I had my first "oh god i have to stop right now or I'm going to puke" moment in a while in Skyrim. Decided to check out a shipwreck and apparently walking around with the world at a 45 degree angle with no level reference points hosed up my poo poo real good.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CruzerZERO posted:

...Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the built-in mic in the Vive though? I was using my own wireless headphones that had a built in mic prior, but with the DAS on, the built-in Vive mic doesn't seem to really pick up for me too well.

I'm kind of tempted to mount a mic to this thing...

I actually found the mic to be way too hot/sensitive, so I put a pop filter on it by grabbing a thin men's dress sock and cutting a .75x.75in square and sticking it over the mic with duct tape. After that the mic quality seems pretty decent.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

I was only kind of kidding. It’s funny when you think about it though. We’ve been debating moving and that’s at the top of my list. Office or room big enough I can go 10x10 and still have space for a desk and chair. Right now sucks laying down a green screen floor every god drat time I play. Would be so nice to just stay setup all the time.

I found I need around 3ft minimum for desk/chair. So I'd suggest looking for rooms that are 12x10 at a minimum to get a 9x10ft space. 9x10 ends up being pretty solid for basically everything.

Why do you need a green screen floor?

10x10 works well for Rift when I use the Vive link box as a short extension cord, but the 14x14 I have in my new space is only usable with a Vive.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Another USSEP patch for SkyrimVR was released:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16768

:siren: If you start a new save game with USSEP and you do not use this patch, your save game will most likely be permanently broken.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is an actual Halo VR game in the works? One of the cooler things about the WMR headset was doing that Halo Recruit experience. It was so-so until you get to the end cut scene and Master Chief is towering over you and the Warthog flies in.

Oh and the Elite being like 8 feet tall right in front of you felt REALLY imposing and threatening as opposed to the traditional game. Very cool stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Why do you need a green screen floor?

Mixed reality streaming and recording. Gotta chroma poo poo out ya know?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

That’s pretty neat, how’d you go about that?

Thanks! I made it in Unity over the past week or so. I ended up using VRTK which is a library that makes a lot of the common interactions easier, and something called DefKit that I modified a bit to make the sphere deform. Overall it was easier than I thought it would be.

Rectus posted:

That's really cool, games that make use of manual dexterity like that is what VR needs more of. Also, smithing is really fun, so being able to do it without access to a forge would be great.

I've been meaning to try making a welding sim for a while now, but haven't bee able to get started on it. Not sure if I can pull if off though.

Yeah, exactly. I'm gonna add a few bells and whistles - allow you to rotate the sphere with the joystick, then give a few different target shapes (eg cube, pyramid) then give points based on speed and accuracy. At that point I'll throw it on on itch.io or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Yeah, exactly. I'm gonna add a few bells and whistles - allow you to rotate the sphere with the joystick, then give a few different target shapes (eg cube, pyramid) then give points based on speed and accuracy. At that point I'll throw it on on itch.io or something

I'd suggest trying to make it be spun by just grabbing the shape and rotating physically rather than by joystick/thumbpad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd suggest trying to make it be spun by just grabbing the shape and rotating physically rather than by joystick/thumbpad.

Yyyyyyeeeeaaaah the way I'm having it float there and not get knocked around when you whack it might make that difficult. Ideally you'd hold it against an anvil to hit it but I'm approaching it mostly from an effort:payoff perspective. I'll do some tinkering but there's a good chance that just the whacking will be all I can get away with :p

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://twitter.com/BlendoGames/status/989187721414328321

Blendo is working on Flotilla 2 in VR. I just realized how much I want Homeworld in VR.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

Yyyyyyeeeeaaaah the way I'm having it float there and not get knocked around when you whack it might make that difficult. Ideally you'd hold it against an anvil to hit it but I'm approaching it mostly from an effort:payoff perspective. I'll do some tinkering but there's a good chance that just the whacking will be all I can get away with :p

You could change the rigidbody properties when the player is touching it.

I see a lot of VR prototypes where people leave their rigidbody and colliders active all the time so that players can move something around and have it collide against the environment. The problem is that causes poo poo to spaz out when the player overrides something into an invalid position. I've had better results completely disabling the rb while the player has it and raycast from previous item position to current position and just addforce to anything the player collides their item with. You don't need physics active on an object to have it interact with other physics.

If you want to keep the physics in place you could also attach a super strong stiff joint to anything the player has grabbed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

You could change the rigidbody properties when the player is touching it.

I see a lot of VR prototypes where people leave their rigidbody and colliders active all the time so that players can move something around and have it collide against the environment. The problem is that causes poo poo to spaz out when the player overrides something into an invalid position. I've had better results completely disabling the rb while the player has it and raycast from previous item position to current position and just addforce to anything the player collides their item with. You don't need physics active on an object to have it interact with other physics.

If you want to keep the physics in place you could also attach a super strong stiff joint to anything the player has grabbed.

Yeah, my gut reaction was because the way that DefKit makes it so it can act like a soft body is it breaks down all the vertices on the mesh into individual points that have their own rigid bodies and connects its neighbors with springs. The way I got it to hang in the air and not get pushed back is by increasing the drag on all the points super high and disabling gravity. I was assuming that that would cause issues if I grabbed and tried to move it, but yeah disabling the physicsy part on it and not allowing it to interact with anything at all while you're positioning it would probably work

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Blendo is working on Flotilla 2 in VR. I just realized how much I want Homeworld in VR.

Oh poo poo. I've always enjoyed Blendo's offerings. Color me interested.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well this seems almost rad. I wanna be in the C&C though, yelling at Tactical to shoot the big boy guns at the big meaty space ships, and getting full body vibrations in a haptic feedback suit as the cannons blast reverberation throughout the oversized sardine can.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Check out House of the Dying Sun. It's a space dogfighter with very heavy Homeworld influences.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

Yeah, my gut reaction was because the way that DefKit makes it so it can act like a soft body is it breaks down all the vertices on the mesh into individual points that have their own rigid bodies and connects its neighbors with springs. The way I got it to hang in the air and not get pushed back is by increasing the drag on all the points super high and disabling gravity. I was assuming that that would cause issues if I grabbed and tried to move it, but yeah disabling the physicsy part on it and not allowing it to interact with anything at all while you're positioning it would probably work

Layers could also work for this. In the layer matrix if two layers don't have interactions checked they won't have physics interactions. Then you could switch items in hand to that layer. If your soft body sim needs self interactions you could have an invisible anchor in that layer on the players hand. When you pick up something, change layer to no interacting layer and put a super short/stiff tether on the object to anchor. Now held objects will bobble around and self interact but won't interact with anything else.

I'd probably not let each hand's held object interact with each other and do interactions with AddForce (like from hammer to object) and not the physics system. If the player forces the hammer into the object better for it to occupy the same space awkwardly than start the physics system wiggle freak out.

Though Gorn I guess decided to do pure physics instead of managed raycast interactions (presumably from its freakout wiggles) so maybe with testing it doesn't work out as well as I think. I found relying on physics for this kind of thing terrible for collision testing even if I wanted absolutely everything to interact in a physics kinda way but they are the ones who took it all the way to a proper game so :shrug:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lemming posted:

Thanks! I made it in Unity over the past week or so. I ended up using VRTK which is a library that makes a lot of the common interactions easier, and something called DefKit that I modified a bit to make the sphere deform. Overall it was easier than I thought it would be.

Did Stomefox change his mind about supporting VRTK by chance? I keep meaning to get around to fooling with VR dev and I enjoyed poking at it in the past.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I would love a tactical space combat game in VR like homeworld, but I think it has to played on like a holographic table like in Lone Echo, thats on the bridge of the command ship of your fleet. Where you can look out the windows and see the real ships being represented on the holo table, see the explosions, feel the hits to your command ship etc.

I would love that, but just having a god view of the whole thing without feeling a part of it all just kinda feels dry and removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

Did Stomefox change his mind about supporting VRTK by chance? I keep meaning to get around to fooling with VR dev and I enjoyed poking at it in the past.

As far as I can tell there are pretty decent updates (within the last few months at least)