Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

mdxi posted:

Goddammit Crobear makes everything hilarious.

Fake edit: The Fast And The Fur-ious

Crobear's joke, like a child with cancer, never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mdxi posted:

Goddammit Crobear makes everything hilarious.

Fake edit: The Fast And The Fur-ious

2 fat 2 furriest
tokyo yifft

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 25, 2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcyu36Oo1g&t=161s

That's a lot of IF statements...

:eyepop:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually they already did that. QED, ETC.

QED, no RE

the reddit version of MLG discussioning

E: I can unironically say that it was a comedic and fun experience to go to citizen con last year as an undercover goon and I would totally do it again... Especially since I wasn't the only one there and we had a weird "you?!" experience. In retrospective it would have made things easier if I knew about the "are there stairs in your house" one

Also because someone wrote Derek Smart into the guestbook at citizen con...

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 25, 2018

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Seat slave action.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Oh God, that switch statement...

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

his nibs posted:

Is anime still illegal?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ForsakenValidCrab.webm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SoftNum posted:

2 fat 2 furriest
tokyo yifft

:vince:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How many hours do I need to take to get a picture from the new God of War in my rapsheet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apologies to the poster I probated and didn't use [img] tags.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Don’t think y’all aren’t getting probated for that anime gun car meme. I’m just feeling lazy right now.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
it shoots commas

me 2 me 2

tax for Zzr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Virtual Captain posted:

This sounded to me like the opposite approach to what CIG has been doing for their ships and environments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBAM27YbKZg
Replying from several pages back but as someone unfamiliar with the fallout games this entire video was a pro click. Very clever!

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The reckoning has come little moderators. You reap what you sow

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Also my computer is doing stupid poo poo, just imagine I posted some anime here

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

I was about to post how bad twitter video playback is, because twitter video playback is awful. Then I checked the video progress bar, it's actually just star citizen this time. That's amazing.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SoftNum posted:

2 fat 2 furriest
tokyo yifft

Stop stealing Trivial Fursuit team names.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

That's a lot of IF statements...

:eyepop:

ung

If if if if if if if.

No no no no no.

This is probably what most of their bug fixes look like.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

This sounded to me like the opposite approach to what CIG has been doing for their ships and environments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBAM27YbKZg

Bethesda are such game development failures :smuggo:

Refactor! Redesign! Fidelity is most important!

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

XK posted:

ung

If if if if if if if.

No no no no no.

As someone who hasn't touched a piece of code since Turbo Pascal back in the 90's, I'm assuming this is the programming equivalent of using lots of (((((Nested(loving)(parentheses)))))) while writing prose?

That is, difficult as poo poo to keep straight.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

Bethesda are such game development failures :smuggo:

Refactor! Redesign! Fidelity is most important!

I'm watching it at home without distractions and the number of things CIG has probably done completely backwards is humiliating.

Frank_Leroux posted:

As someone who hasn't touched a piece of code since Turbo Pascal back in the 90's, I'm assuming this is the programming equivalent of using lots of (((((Nested(loving)(parentheses)))))) while writing prose?

That is, difficult as poo poo to keep straight.

Yes. Also if when something changes to invalidate one of those ifs, the rest will never be encountered because they're too deeply nested.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 26, 2018

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Star Citizen alpha 3.1.3-issue council : spontaneous and random ship explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wURXln8e0

:discourse:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Virtual Captain posted:

Yes. Also if when something changes to invalidate one of those ifs, the rest will never be encountered because they're too deeply nested.

Yeah, I can't think of the correct word, but it's highly connected code. Where if one thing changes somewhere else, somebody has to know to come back here and change some branches. That's just super bad, for so many reasons.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Look, in the real world, every now and then ships will have critical manufacturing defects and just Blow the gently caress Up. That's just fidelity.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Martman posted:

Look, in the real world, every now and then ships will have critical manufacturing defects and just Blow the gently caress Up. That's just fidelity.

Look, I'm not saying this particular ship doesn't have perfect Fidelity, it just might not have had quite as much Fidelity as the other ones.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

The perceived vs actual state is the part to be upset over if anything. :)

The perceived state is it's a AAAA game with more depth and value and playability than any other game ever made. Some backers purport this, as well as CIG marketing.

The actual state is entirely different. :)

They sell it and pawn it by it's perceived value. The hope of what it may become some day rather than what it actually is.

Don't be a value demander.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:toot:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/989300203546136576

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm more triggered by the declarations and assignments in if statements. The nesting isn't so bad.

Also I'm the for/break design pattern that isn't at all leaking memory no sir there's no way that doesn't leak objects like a sieve.

EDIT: After refactoring their code in my head a few times that else is completely redundant as well. BLEH.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Stop stealing Trivial Fursuit team names.

It's not stealing if I helped come up with them.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 26, 2018

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I never backed or even knew what Star Citizen was before I found this thread, so I'm not really invested in the game being anything at all, and I don't really get the endless rubbing, the 50,000 word Stimpire screeds or the other more weird tendencies of the thread. But don't let that stop you guys from having fun. I am really enjoying the video game design related posts which are generally very good, even when it's just posters here explaining how concepts should work, rather than full presentations by experienced developers on completed projects.

It's very interesting to see what is done and how things work, the considerations and decisions and compromises that are made during the process of development. The tricks and tools that are developed to make these things work, and further experimentation with those tools. The inverse kinematics video showcasing multiple very different models all working from the same basic animation set, from various sized and proportioned humans to walker robots, many-limbed monstrosities and even a shark. Or the modular design kits for Fallout, taking level design and art and methodically breaking the concepts down into a defined workflow that allows for more versatility, and actually minimising the amount of grand, expensive one-off pieces you need to build in the process. Or the Overwatch video, progressing from a single character and a gray world to a variety of characters with multiple mechanics in a fully realised level, figuring out what works and removing what doesn't along the way.

In the context of this game, it's interesting and sometimes impressive to see this technical look at how for example Bethesda build things, but then you look at Star Citizen and try to look at their workflow through the same observational lens. And you simply can't do it. Everything about that GDQ talk was considered, measured, everything has a direction and a purpose. Art is to reinforce the structure and atmosphere of the level, it doesn't just exist for the sake of art.

Star Citizen doesn't do this. Hell, Star Citizen doesn't even present like this. I thought the transcripts of their videos I'd seen here, all stuttering and ellipsis and buzzwords in all-caps, were kind of ridiculous. But that blathering miasma is pretty much what you get. And you don't have someone else manipulating it to make them look bad, springing the idea of a video on them unprepared, that's their own production. They planned it, produced it, and sent it out, this is how they sell themselves. They've been doing this for how long? And all their videos are full of what they hope they're going to be doing in future releases, with few solid results to demonstrate. It's staggering that they've been going this long and don't have any content to speak of. Dozens of ultra-high polygon assets, sure, but being able to choose between a hundred costumes in your Flash dress-up game doesn't make it work as an action RPG.

That's what is the most annoying thing about the game itself, to me. Nothing has a purpose. Art exists here just to be looked at, just to be enticing, there is no consideration as to why things are being done. If they wanted a Star Citizen Sistine Chapel, they'd start by building and painting the roof. God knows what it would look like once they got that far.

This is far too many words now. I'm sorry. I can only imagine how ridiculous this whole saga is for you who have been here from the beginning, who really understand game development, who care about the funding and the legal issues and all that. I'm only really interested in the work they haven't done in the five(?) years and $180m this game has apparently taken to develop.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sounds like this “gameplay story team” just got assembled recently. How interesting.

I’m so sick of hearing CIG folks talk about “living breathing (X)”. They barely have AI working in year 6, and so unimportant has it always been to their priorities that they let backers vote on whether to accelerate production of FPS AI in their 2018 poll...

AI is a Tier 1 priority for a single player game yet it’s always been tertiary to Chris’s “vision”... Which is exactly why the vertical slice spends 90% of an hour with passive travel on foot or in ships, 6% watching cutscenes, 2% in dialogue choices, 1% in hot combat action (like stealth takedowns of inert NPCs and shootouts with cartwheeling gymnast pirates), and 1% with puzzle-solving “gameplay” that’s sub Lego-title levels of complex...

I really hope they can close the gap on their facial tech. Console titles from 2-4 years ago look more realistic and less rubbery. And if they’re two years out from release that gap is just going to widen further...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

Part of the funniness of the AMD letter is that it was supposedly sent to AMD execs that had nothing to do with marketing. Like the VP of Chip Fabrication, stuff like that.

It’s Star Citizen’s piss tape.

Perfect.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SoftNum posted:

I'm more triggered by the declarations and assignments in if statements. The nesting isn't so bad.

Also I'm the for/break design pattern that isn't at all leaking memory no sir there's no way that doesn't leak objects like a sieve.

You can use the "never use" type designs if you know exactly what you are doing, and the code is well structured. Even "goto" does have use in C++, particularly in exiting error situations, even though classical teaching tells you never to use it.

I haven't seen evidence that CIG's code reaches the quality where eschewed techniques are defensible.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Will the 83 already voiced characters for SQ42 on IMDB have to come back and record what this "Gameplay Story" team comes up with? Or is "Gameplay Story" text based? What is "Gameplay Story"?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

MilesK posted:

Will the 83 already voiced characters for SQ42 on IMDB have to come back and record what this "Gameplay Story" team comes up with? Or is "Gameplay Story" text based? What is "Gameplay Story"?

In order to meet its release year of 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 probably, the "Gameplay Story" of Squadron 42 was nailed down in the early stages of development, before voice and mocap. This video was recorded like 5 years ago, they're just choosing to broadcast it now. You clearly don't understand open development.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:ohdear:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Oh no please not goons :ohdear:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Game" going into a broken pre-alpha server so oblivious whales can get milked testers can help the debugging process being a state secret is hilarious to me.

Is it something that's supposed to be hidden? Every other game that does this does it for the publicity. WoW's next expansion just went beta and Blizz has been flooding its mailing lists with invites. I guess they should have kept it on the downlow! What the hell do they know, having run the most successful MMO in history and generating literal billions of dollars.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

Previously:

Quality. So they convince themselves that anyone claiming to be new and with concerns is a concern troll being put up to it by Derek/goons.

Imagine the poor guy who takes a look at the game, has those concerns, posts on the sub, and immediately gets harassed. Its going to jaundice his view of the game and community badly.

#notacult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The safe word is "Fidelity".

:lol:

DapperDon posted:

Lady you can wear a rainbow colored wig for all I care. I just want to see you in those heels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAktV72_nnE&t=261s

I'll keep this in mind! Extra points if you don't mind a riding crop and each verse of the July blog earns you another painful swat. It's not pleasure/pain, sort of like torture/pain, but it's close enough.