Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Helping people isn't the part they like, that's incidental. What they like is the fantasy about being powerful and morally justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well the first step to being morally justified is being moral but what do I know.

W.W.S.M.D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Helping people isn't the part they like, that's incidental. What they like is the fantasy about being powerful and morally justified.

And the capes!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The unfortunate thing about comics is that they're so varied that a lot of people come to the table with their own view of each character. Some people's ideal Superman is the guy from Injustice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas March posted:

I talked about my experiences with this and my sister in the Misogynoir thread. It's really hosed up. There's other factors, like colorism, hair etc. It's a really layered problem that just goes back to how white people were able to define our society's beauty standards and how badly it's hosed everyone up.

Like you might hear someone say "I don't date black girls" and think it's a preference, but really it's internalized racism. because think about it.. You really don't find any black women attractive? Africa is huge and it's people are varied. When you throw black Americans into the mix, the pool gets even wider. We don't all look alike.

If you general 'you' can't find any of these women attractive, examine your drat biases.

All those ladies are gorgeous. And awesome.

I'd be a terrible Super hero, if I was Superman i'd just pick up Alt right shitheads and drop them into active volcanos. It would be a real Black Summer scene. Eventually i'd run out of people who are public with their bigotry and started going after people who post racist youtube comments.

SonicRulez posted:

The unfortunate thing about comics is that they're so varied that a lot of people come to the table with their own view of each character. Some people's ideal Superman is the guy from Injustice.

This is not unlike the people I've encounter that only like Batman when the Joker is involved, because they don't like Batman, they like the Joker, and want to be the Joker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd be a terrible Super hero, if I was Superman i'd just pick up Alt right shitheads and drop them into active volcanos.

That's not very far from Superman as envisioned by his creators.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

All Star Superman is the one I will acknowledge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

That's not very far from Superman as envisioned by his creators.

That makes me feel better.

I like to imagine if Cap was real, he would have been at Charlottesville hitting Nazis with his shield. Then Fox News would call him Captain Communism, becaucse of his treatment of the noble patriots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

I like to imagine if Cap was real, he would have been at Charlottesville hitting Nazis with his shield. Then Fox News would call him Captain Communism, becaucse of his treatment of the noble patriots.

If the Marvel Studios movies weren't so politically cowardly it'd be a great scene to have some kind of very tense march surrounded by swat about to get ugly and then cap comes and the protestors are like "Oh did you come to beat us up mr Superhero" and he de-escalates the situation by joining the march.

It wouldn't even have to be a march about a real thing it's just it would be cool.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

In the latest X-men red, Gambit does pretty much exactly that. He even mocks their tikki torches. Of course it's the standard thing where the bigots just hate "mutants".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think Chandra Wilson is beautiful and I frequently see a lot of douchey body shaming directed at her.
And also, Candace Patton.

I love Chandra :3:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

cant cook creole bream posted:

In the latest X-men red, Gambit does pretty much exactly that. He even mocks their tikki torches. Of course it's the standard thing where the bigots just hate "mutants".

Watching comic related videos on youtube has had the unfortunate effect of YT recommending me countless videos about how MARVEL COMICS IS FAILING BECAUSE OF SJWS, so I can only imagine how this went over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

Watching comic related videos on youtube has had the unfortunate effect of YT recommending me countless videos about how MARVEL COMICS IS FAILING BECAUSE OF SJWS, so I can only imagine how this went over.

Oh yea. I get that too. As someone said, gaming vids get me GG videos. The worst thing is when I watch shaun or Hbomberguy point out how full of poo poo the Alt Right is, I get alt right vids suggested. Yes, after I watch "Sargon of Akkad is a nazi fuckhead" i really want to see "I can't get a date because of Feminists and Jews" by Ilovehiterbutmnotanazi1488. Like can your algorithm tell pro and anti vids?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea. I get that too. As someone said, gaming vids get me GG videos. The worst thing is when I watch shaun or Hbomberguy point out how full of poo poo the Alt Right is, I get alt right vids suggested. Yes, after I watch "Sargon of Akkad is a nazi fuckhead" i really want to see "I can't get a date because of Feminists and Jews" by Ilovehiterbutmnotanazi1488. Like can your algorithm tell pro and anti vids?

I watched Shaun's take down of CinemaSins (which are hilarious) and YT recommended me videos from him that seemed to be tackling those topics, but I couldn't be sure from the titles if they were critical or not so for my blood pressure I didn't bother watching them. If he has take downs of those people that are as funny as his CS ones, then I might have to give them a shot. But yeah, YT is really bad about suggesting alt-right BS. I watched a couple of Joe Rogan clips recently (about pro wrestling and some MA actors), and now I am getting Ben Shapiro and Stephen Crowder recommendations (because he had them on his show before.) :psyduck:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

I watched Shaun's take down of CinemaSins (which are hilarious) and YT recommended me videos from him that seemed to be tackling those topics, but I couldn't be sure from the titles if they were critical or not so for my blood pressure I didn't bother watching them. If he has take downs of those people that are as funny as his CS ones, then I might have to give them a shot. But yeah, YT is really bad about suggesting alt-right BS. I watched a couple of Joe Rogan clips recently (about pro wrestling and some MA actors), and now I am getting Ben Shapiro and Stephen Crowder recommendations (because he had them on his show before.) :psyduck:

No, he shits all over them with well researched videos that use their own words and actions to dispell any myth they are not just nazi pissbabies whining about jews and feminists.

Its an hour long, but its worth watching, but his Charlottesville episode is really interesting because it just uses footage from alt right streams of the even, juxtaposed against one of the asshats video about "what really happened". About 20 mins in you get to see Baked Alaska screaming in pain, so its worth watching until at least that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoYKuoiUrY

related, he tears down the idea that Black Panther is alt right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOPLuZ9eGs&t=3s
Because of course alt right nazi morons would completely miss the point that Wakanda being isolated and only caring about itself was a bad idea.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Koalas March posted:

Anna responded to the Starfire controversy on Instagram, can't embed but it's really goodand thoughtful

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhfCnkEnwGO/

Jesus gently caress don't make the mistake of reading the comments on that. :( Stop at the excellent post by Anna.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King Burgundy posted:

Jesus gently caress don't make the mistake of reading the comments on that. :( Stop at the excellent post by Anna.

I think a villain that is basically horrible internet comments that have gained sentience would be pretty excellent.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

I think a villain that is basically horrible internet comments that have gained sentience would be pretty excellent.

Ms Marvel did that story recently.
It was kinda bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It was kinda bad.

Ah, nevermind then.

I just got sucked down the rabbit hole of Facebook comments about Starfire's casting. The internet was a mistake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched the 2nd and 3rd Krytpon episodes, and it still is a YA novel, with lots of good looking young people with high cheekbones and perfect hair looking stern and brooding. I did like the stuff involving Brianacs probe though, and exploring Grandpa El's research was neat. Most enjoyable characters on the show are Adam Strange and the bar owner.

I think my biggest issue is I always loved the comics version of Krypton that showed it as a technocratic society that though they were the alpha and omega of the universe, so no need to look outward. It was arrogance and hubruis that caused Jor-El to be ignored. This Theocratic Authoritarian system is just weird. As I said, this feels like the setting of a YA novel, though I admit the Voice of Ral is pretty well designed. I do no remember any of this from the comics, but I haven't read all of the Superman comics there are.

Just kind of waiting for it Brainiac to arrive. It's sad that my second favorite Superman villain is stuck in a subpar show. Though this kind of show always leaves the big villain to at least the middle of the season, or even worse, the end.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

twistedmentat posted:

Eventually i'd run out of people who are public with their bigotry and started going after people who post racist youtube comments.
Not even Social Justice Superman would have enough time to get them all before the Universe dies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was kinda bad.

It was also Bor in Angela.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/987099239481196549?s=19

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/987128794304704512?s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been a while but Transhuman isn't a very long story.

Also gently caress YEAH East of West.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amazon is just throwing everything at the loving wall, huh? Not complaining.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think Amazon is figuring they have more money than pretty much anyone else in the stream game and none of that money even really comes from TV service, so they can just say "gently caress IT" and go full steam on new content. If it doesn't work out, they are still one of the biggest retailers on Earth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, sure, they have more money than God, go nuts, but they surely can't be expecting much in the way of return on investment, right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arist posted:

I mean, sure, they have more money than God, go nuts, but they surely can't be expecting much in the way of return on investment, right?

Apparently their shareholders do. I think they are at a point where their other arms are successful enough that attempting to grow Prime through TV and movie content simply cannot hurt. Expect to see a massive push of Prime as a TV service within the next year or two. Especially with Lord of the Rings costing them a billion dollars (like literally). I mean, the only Amazon commercials I can even recall have been for Alexa, the Firestick/TV box, and Kindles. They haven't even really tried to push Prime as a TV service, compared to say Netflix or Hulu.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
EoW could be huge. That's a hell of a world he has crafted.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah they're definitely going to have to spend more money on East of West than they've been spending on their other shows. The Tick is great but it can look kinda cheap sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah they're definitely going to have to spend more money on East of West than they've been spending on their other shows. The Tick is great but it can look kinda cheap sometimes.

Yeah, somewhere on the WestWorld level I think.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Somehow The Tick costs 5 million per episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It drives me nuts that in Canada Amazon Prime Streaming just has the origonal programming and poo poo else. It makes it really not worthwhile to spend the money if you just want the streaming. I don't buy from Amazon that much because almost everything I want to get I can get locally just by going downtown, and its normally cheaper to buy locally. I only buy during sales really if I'm looking for blurays or games, and Marvel new release movies are always hideously expensive on Amazon for some stupid reason. I'd rather go down to best buy and buy them there.

Also, half the time when I'm looking for something, they send me to a 3rd party seller and I hate that. I don't trust them at all, not to mention those 3rd party sellers tend to have insane shipping. I wanted to get the Fallout Boardgame and Amazon has it listed slightly more expensive than I could get locally but they only had some game store in the US listed as selling it and they were charging nearly 2/3 the cost of the game in shipping.

I talked to one of our customers who works in tv production and he told me he's filming Umbrella Academy right now, I'd forgotten that was coming out.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Somehow The Tick costs 5 million per episode.

Yikes, they work hard for that sitcom look. I guess it only looks cheap compared to HBO and Starz shows but East of West is going to need some Star Wars level production.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they can dip into the one billion (!) dollars they purportedly have earmarked to develop a Lord of the Rings tv series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Transhuman seems like it would probably be better as a miniseries or a movie since it kind of has a definitive end. Basically it is told like a documentary about two competing companies that were both working on changing humanity, one through mechanical means and one through genetic engineering.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Transhuman wasn't even particularly good from what I remember, though it's been awhile since I read it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
East of West could be absolutely incredible if they don't cheap out.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Wow Krypton got really loving crazy really loving fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

J33uk posted:

Wow Krypton got really loving crazy really loving fast

Is it good? I thought it looked cool from the little preview coverage I saw