Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

space marine todd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPeyBldtsiM

500 maps with 90% IIQ/0% IIR vs 500 maps with 0% IIQ/270% IIR and I have no idea what to think anymore.

Discussed in discord; basically the statistics are poo poo, the variables aren't actually accounted for, a GGG person has specifically stated that this is bullshit, and there's a reddit thread where you can read all the bad statistical analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

500 maps with 90% IIQ/0% IIR vs 500 maps with 0% IIQ/270% IIR and I have no idea what to think anymore.

In that case I'll tell you what to think. It's complete nonsense. First of all there are way too many variables involved that he didn't control. Breaches, map mods etc. Second he has nowhere near enough data to make any sort of judgement on the major currencies. Third he uses a bisco's with conditional iiq/iir which adds a massive layer of complexity. Fourth, GGG have stated in no uncertain terms that IIQ is the only thing that affects currency drop rate, and that IIR only affects rarity (normal, magic, rare, unique). Currency does not have a rarity tier, so IIR has no effect whatsoever. This is even less intelligent than last season when noted absolute moron cutedog went on about how bisco's definitely worked on map drops.

BadMedic posted:

Is there any space in the guild? My character name is APassingWind

Invited

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Was it even meant to prove anything or just be another meme video since that's like what that guy does?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I love slippery jim

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Was it even meant to prove anything or just be another meme video since that's like what that guy does?

There's a second guy who tried to run statistical analysis on his dataset and the entire thing is just completely mad. Check out this thread by resident smart person pokchu for an advanced explanation of why they're all idiots: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8er04l/iiq_vs_iir_statistical_response/dxxwuy8/

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Does he ever say he's running a thousand 0% white maps for this or does he just ignore variance in quantity from map rolls too?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

TheRat posted:

In that case I'll tell you what to think. It's complete nonsense. First of all there are way too many variables involved that he didn't control. Breaches, map mods etc. Second he has nowhere near enough data to make any sort of judgement on the major currencies. Third he uses a bisco's with conditional iiq/iir which adds a massive layer of complexity. Fourth, GGG have stated in no uncertain terms that IIQ is the only thing that affects currency drop rate, and that IIR only affects rarity (normal, magic, rare, unique). Currency does not have a rarity tier, so IIR has no effect whatsoever. This is even less intelligent than last season when noted absolute moron cutedog went on about how bisco's definitely worked on map drops.

Okay, cool. Thank you for the explanation!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think it's not unreasonable at all to hypothesize there are different tiers of currency rarity now in the 2108 version of the game.

When in doubt just just stack movement speed, the best currency stat of all.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You spelled "light radius" wrong

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Stack light radius, farm wakawaka

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheRat posted:

Stack light radius, farm wakawaka

I did not occur to me that that would work.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As the resident statistics nerd this is really bad science.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Elentor posted:

As the resident statistics nerd this is really bad science.

Agreed. I was waiting for him to say he ran only white maps(and the same 500 maps each time) or ignored breaches and abysses but nope. I'm guessing he was running yellow maps like normal and so the IIQ and IIR values weren't actually 1:3. Also he obviously got more breaches in the IIR side which means he got a few percent more item drops there right off the bat.

Or maybe he just lied about everything to get the s!ck youtube viewcountz.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!

whypick1 posted:

Y'all joke but my MF wander in HC beast league is doing quite well with that new fated wand.

Lord Zuthulu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2018

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Can someone re-invite me? Char name Aedmund

Haven't played at all this league because I've been traveling for work for a few months; is it any good? Did I miss anything huge? Gonna drop in and level a bit and maybe do the Hierophant I planned. Looks like Mathil killed the new uber boss with something similar to what I wanted to try, so I can probably just steal his stuff and maybe get some challenges in before the league finishes.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Bestiary is not exactly a small change to the game, but it is incredibly skippable (which is my plan for Flashback).

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rashomon posted:

Haven't played at all this league because I've been traveling for work for a few months; is it any good? Did I miss anything huge? Gonna drop in and level a bit and maybe do the Hierophant I planned. Looks like Mathil killed the new uber boss with something similar to what I wanted to try, so I can probably just steal his stuff and maybe get some challenges in before the league finishes.

Bestiary is pretty bad. It's not the worst league they've done, but it's pretty far down my list. The ascendancy revamps are mostly cool and good. Note that at the end of next week they are starting a 1 month flashback league where every area has 3 random league mods that rotate every hour, plus bestiary on top, and the bestiary challenges will be complete-able there as well. I imagine once that starts, regular bestiary league will be pretty dead as far as trading goes if that's something you care about.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Oh, nice. I'll probably go pretty chill in actual-Bestiary league then just to get to know some of the new items and stuff, and if I feel like going hard I'll do it in the flashback and do the challenges/new boss there.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
There is also little reason not to at least get a guy to 35 in the flashback league for the free cosmetic item box.

Drothmar
Feb 18, 2015

SA, I just have to say that I love you. It took me weeks on my return to this game to even contemplate the idea of coming here to see if PoE had a thread and of course it did. So thank you goons!. I have a few questions and I apologize if they've been addressed but it's alot of pages to catch up on.

1. Can you join more than 1 guild at once or is it just one per account?
2. What is the discord link for questions/hanging out?
3. I am currently working on a nebuloch jugg build and I am encountering issues with putting on even one nebuloch right now and I imagine it has to do with my resistance amount but I'm wondering if folks might have some suggestions for ho/when I should expect to be able to use them. (Sorry How would I go about linking my char through POE? I was looking for a link but couldn't find one). This is the build I am attempting (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2101355)

Thanks for the help folks!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

1. 1 per account
2. https://discord.gg/4e323G
3. Best bet is to get Path of Building (the best way to play PoE when you can't play PoE :v:), import your character, fiddle with a couple options (bandit reward, charges), export and share the PasteBin link.

Drothmar
Feb 18, 2015

Thanks Why,

I had never tried to import my own guy before wow Path of Building is badass, I've been using it for this neb build. Here is my current build: https://pastebin.com/3CGwJKsN. I look forward to hopping in the discord thanks for the link :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Been almost a year since I last played? Maybe 8 months or so. 'bout time to make another character and abandon them in mid tier maps when I get bored. Are we late/early in a season? I never like starting when we're on the backend of one, but I don't know when the current one started.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's pretty late into the current season but a 1-month flashback ladder is going to start soon.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Agent355 posted:

Been almost a year since I last played? Maybe 8 months or so. 'bout time to make another character and abandon them in mid tier maps when I get bored. Are we late/early in a season? I never like starting when we're on the backend of one, but I don't know when the current one started.

Ends in a little over a month, we're about 3/5ths of the way through I think?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hmm. I might play anyway just because I'm real bored atm. I can probably play until I'm tired of the character in less than a month.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sarcastro posted:

There is also little reason not to at least get a guy to 35 in the flashback league for the free cosmetic item box.

I uninstalled the game to avoid that temptation (maybe I'll have my dissertation mostly wrapped up by the time 3.3 drops).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That build posted:

Great thing - that build is cheap. You need two nebuloch, two kaom's ways and two wildfire jewels.

I guess that was true when it was written?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

......ooof

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah it looks like he wrote the guide in 3.1 when ways were what like <30c?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats the general consensus on pokemon season? I only just started and i'm addicted to collecting things in general so it seems cool so far, but what do othe rpeople think? Does it have cool rewards eventually?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm sure it's possible to get good stuff but dealing with everything to get to that point isn't really worth it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Whats the general consensus on pokemon season? I only just started and i'm addicted to collecting things in general so it seems cool so far, but what do othe rpeople think? Does it have cool rewards eventually?

Opinions will vary but it has been received somewhat poorly by the core player segment due to it's clunky mechanics and extreme infrequency of rare beast encounters. It does enable very powerful and useful crafting techniques however and beasts are tradable, so those who don't want to deal with the awkward mechanics can simply trade for the beasts required, and those who do want to, supply them. I personally like the league as a whole but it could be condensed down quite a bit if it goes into base game. The trapping mechanic could be removed and beasts could become a rare spawn like other league mechanics too, and it'd be a good overall addition to the game. Having pseudo eternal orbs to craft with is incredible, I don't want it to go.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The fact that it took them about 4 attempts to get the mechanic "right" is definitely not great. Not having all the recipes unlocked from the get go or a way to tag beasts/mods your looking for also sucks.

Honestly, worse than Talisman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For me it's completely unengaging because while the products of beast-crafting could be powerful, the vast majority of them are just another dice roll on something you could pick up while running maps. The good stuff is good, but it's accessible in a way where you can't just say "I want that" and work toward it in a clear manner - it's layered behind knowing where the general type of monsters are, then behind rolling the dice until you get the specific type of monster you need. You can always just buy the monster you need, but you can also just buy the exact item you're burning monsters trying to craft in the first place. I capture every red creature I come across and I still don't have anything to really craft other than refilling my prophecies or making worthless one affix rares.
I think it would be a good system with either more leniency on the specificity of monsters you need to craft, less randomness in the specificity or more control over the results based on the specificity.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I think beasts just dropping as orbs would have been way better than the whole net mechanism (along with winnowing out a lot of the least used recipes).

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

I think beasts just dropping as orbs would have been way better than the whole net mechanism (along with winnowing out a lot of the least used recipes).

Oh my god yes. Trying to catch beasts was like a minute of panicked running around, avoiding mobs, trying to hit the guy enough but not hard enough to kill him outright, trying to keep my cursor on the beast to see where his health was at, throwing the net but oops opened my character stats instead! And now it's dead. gently caress.

(I might just be bad at the game)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Honestly, worse than Talisman.

Woah, let's not say things we cant take back. Beast isn't great but it's nowhere near as bad as the trainwrecks that were talisman/perandus/prophecy

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rashomon posted:

Can someone re-invite me? Char name Aedmund

Sent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

TheRat posted:

Woah, let's not say things we cant take back. Beast isn't great but it's nowhere near as bad as the trainwrecks that were talisman/perandus/prophecy

Ok, that was a bit harsh, I only played a week or so of Talisman because that was when I ended my hiatus, but Bestiary, even now, still seems like a work in progress. It definitely took a backseat to the Ascendancy changes, despite all the signs that it is definitely getting baked into the base game (ugh).

Perandus: the mobs kinda sucked but at least the rewards from Santa were obvious
Prophecy: what we have now is definitely better than the league where there was a poo poo-ton more filler...but it is the only league I've gotten 36 challenges on, so I can't hate it too much