Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Holy crap, I hadn't even realized that ancient iPads were still worth anything significant. Best Buy is offering $80 for my wife's iPad 3. Since there's nothing I really want from BB right now, is there anywhere else with good trade-in values on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Luceo posted:

Holy crap, I hadn't even realized that ancient iPads were still worth anything significant. Best Buy is offering $80 for my wife's iPad 3. Since there's nothing I really want from BB right now, is there anywhere else with good trade-in values on them?

Welp, time for another pair of joycons.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got the 2017 iPad 32GB in Rose Gold at Target for $217.51. Had them price match Staples and used my Red Card for 5% off.

Great deal. Now to trade in the iPad 2 somewhere.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Astro7x posted:

Got the 2017 iPad 32GB in Rose Gold at Target for $217.51. Had them price match Staples and used my Red Card for 5% off.

Great deal. Now to trade in the iPad 2 somewhere.

How'd you get the price down to $217? I'm seeing it at staples for $279. Sitting here with three I picked up yesterday that I can return to Walmart.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TraderStav posted:

How'd you get the price down to $217? I'm seeing it at staples for $279. Sitting here with three I picked up yesterday that I can return to Walmart.

https://www.staples.com/iPad-9-7-32...CJPIXEL=CJPIXEL

Was not out of stock earlier when I price matched earlier tonight. Rose Gold only.

$229 at Staples. Price matched at Target and then used Red Card 5% discount

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also note that Apple will still give you $70 for an iPad 3 and they’re selling the 5th gen iPad refurb for $239.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Thwomp posted:

Also note that Apple will still give you $70 for an iPad 3 and they’re selling the 5th gen iPad refurb for $239.

They will!? I didn't even realize they took trade-ins. poo poo I'm doing that this weekend.

edit: Welp Brightstar of Japan offers a whopping ¥0 for a perfect-condition iPad 3.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 26, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

https://www.staples.com/iPad-9-7-32...CJPIXEL=CJPIXEL

Was not out of stock earlier when I price matched earlier tonight. Rose Gold only.

$229 at Staples. Price matched at Target and then used Red Card 5% discount

drat, these are going into cases so the color doesn't matter. Would've loved to have saved $150 on this.

e: Through the slickdeals link I found they were available. Nothing locally for Target so just ordered them from Staples for $229. Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 26, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oops. My math was off. I only paid $249. So only $60 savings.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fly Ricky posted:

They will!? I didn't even realize they took trade-ins. poo poo I'm doing that this weekend.

Yeah I got 180 for my several year old Air 2. Got my 2018 iPad and pencil for like 260.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Weirdly, Apple started signing IOS 6.1.3 for the iPad2 again.
I just restored my kid's iPad to it. Only about half their apps work, and I'm probably going to have to upgrade it back to 9.3.5, but holy poo poo, everything is so fast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I just restored my kid's iPad to it. Only about half their apps work, and I'm probably going to have to upgrade it back to 9.3.5, but holy poo poo, everything is so fast.

That’s weird. Maybe there are a lot of older kiosks using the iPad 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone have experience with / recommendations for a Lightning to SD dongle? I'm gonna try to get my workflow for photos all on my iPad.

Also I got the iPad 2018 earlier in the week only to find 2 dead pixels already so I'm getting a replacement. Once it arrives I'll make a post comparing it to the Air 2, since a lot of people are wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
I only got a few minutes with it before I decided to pack it up to send back but initial impressions would be if you're happy with your Air 2 and don't want to use the Pencil, don't bother.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This may not come as a surprise to anyone, but it sure did to me.

I use a K811 with my iPad Pro, and I was just doing some work stuff and I unconsciously hit ⌘-TAB to switch back to the last app I was using.

And it worked.

Also if you hit ⌘-TAB and keep the ⌘ pressed, it will show a list of the last 10 apps used (at least on the 12” Pro).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

This may not come as a surprise to anyone, but it sure did to me.

I use a K811 with my iPad Pro, and I was just doing some work stuff and I unconsciously hit ⌘-TAB to switch back to the last app I was using.

And it worked.

Also if you hit ⌘-TAB and keep the ⌘ pressed, it will show a list of the last 10 apps used (at least on the 12” Pro).

A lot of macOS keyboard shortcuts work on iOS! CMD-Space brings up Spotlight search :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A lot of macOS keyboard shortcuts work on iOS! CMD-Space brings up Spotlight search :)

:aaa:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

~Coxy posted:

Is there directions on how to do this? I would love to just have a fast working ipad for Safai only with my old iPad 2`

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Is there directions on how to do this? I would love to just have a fast working ipad for Safai only with my old iPad 2`

Download the Ipsw file for your specific model, then restore in iTunes using the file. If you search IPSw online you can find very good instructions !

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Astro7x posted:

ipsw.me

I don't know how well old Mobile Safari will work though.
Safari on El Cap is barely supported anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This just came across slick deals

The Autodesk Sketchbook app has always been free to install, but the pro features are now free as well.

Autodesk SketchBook by Autodesk Inc.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/autodesk-sketchbook/id883738213?mt=8

SketchBook for Everybody!

At Autodesk, we believe creativity starts with an idea. From quick conceptual sketches to fully finished artwork, sketching is at the heart of the creative process. You never know when a great idea will strike, so access to fast and powerful creative sketching tools is an invaluable part of any creative process.

For this reason, we are excited to announce that the fully featured version of SketchBook is now FREE for everyone!

Cool I guess?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I don’t follow Apple very much, what are the odds of getting a pro refresh this year? Are their keynotes pretty predictable?

I’ve had my 2018 with an Apple Pencil for about 2 months and I’m ready to commit to a big fat fatty in gold.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Ok so I don’t follow Apple very much, what are the odds of getting a pro refresh this year? Are their keynotes pretty predictable?

I’ve had my 2018 with an Apple Pencil for about 2 months and I’m ready to commit to a big fat fatty in gold.

MacRumors is "Neutral" on buying a 12.9" and "Caution" for 10.5". That probably means if they're going to update, it'll be in the fall or winter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

iPads in general seem to move at a different pace than phones around 18 months or so so if it’s going to happen it’ll probably be in Sept to lead into the shopping season. With the 10.5” release and 12.9” spec bump from just this last year I wouldn’t expect anything mind-blowing.

Personally, I’m hoping for Pencil redesign. I mean, it’s still the best stylus I’ve used, but there’s still room for improvement. Like get rid of the lightning charger and use the Smart Connector (hell let it dock to the Smart Connector). Add an “erase” function or a multi-function button or something. I’d love those, BUT if it’s going to mess with the form (so comfortable in the hand) then I’m OK with them leaving it alone.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 5, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It would be nice if the Pencil had a small button on it that could switch between two different modes that you can define per app. Building in erase permanently doesn’t seem too useful for me but being able to switch between pen and highlight would be neat.

Wireless charging on the Pencil would be cool too but I’m not sure if it’s physically possible to fit that in there?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wireless charging on the Pencil would be cool too but I’m not sure if it’s physically possible to fit that in there?

drat, that would be cool, but I share you’re skepticism on it being untenable with the size constraints involved.

I’d settle on having a Smart Connector charging solution for Pro havers. To avoid multiple versions, just make the Pencil capable of both. And since I’m dreaming, I’d like them to be delivered via leprechauns riding in on unicorns.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

drat, that would be cool, but I share you’re skepticism on it being untenable with the size constraints involved.

I’d settle on having a Smart Connector charging solution for Pro havers. To avoid multiple versions, just make the Pencil capable of both. And since I’m dreaming, I’d like them to be delivered via leprechauns riding in on unicorns.

If we’re dreaming then I’d rather the new pencil be made out of aerospace grade aluminum and personally delivered by Jony Ive himself, whereupon he’ll monologue about aluminum.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Besides attaching a big stupid circle to the end of the pencil to do this, I wonder if it could be done via a short tube shape. Jony Ive telling me how glorious it is to stick my pencil into a hole would be a next level experience.

Aluminium, also related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJ5_-8oEAU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Pencil desperately needs some changes, but I’m honestly not sure how they’d make them and not mess up something important.

Like it’s a dream to write with, but sucks to put down and not be surprised when it rolls away. But making it shorter or fatter/thinner is going to gently caress with the use of it.

Maybe they need multiple versions. Like I’d really like the same Pencil, but maybe thinner so it could go behind my ear and with flat sides like an actual pencil.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Folks who have traded their Air 2 in for the new The New iPad, any regrets after a few weeks?

I pretty much just use my Air 2 for email, Netflix and the NYT crossword app. I can't decide whether to upgrade - I don't use it for much, but I still feel like iOS 11 has put this thing on its last legs and I should trade in while the trading-in is still good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

Folks who have traded their Air 2 in for the new The New iPad, any regrets after a few weeks?.

I would say unless you need more space on your device, don't bother.

I don't regret it because I only had 16gb on the Air2 but they're very very similar. I actually like the extra thickness, I find it easier to hold.
But yeah, keep with the Air2 I'd say.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kitten smoothie posted:

Folks who have traded their Air 2 in for the new The New iPad, any regrets after a few weeks?

I pretty much just use my Air 2 for email, Netflix and the NYT crossword app. I can't decide whether to upgrade - I don't use it for much, but I still feel like iOS 11 has put this thing on its last legs and I should trade in while the trading-in is still good.

The only reason I don’t regret it is because I wanted pencil support. If you don’t care about that and don’t need more space I’d say don’t bother. I liked the screen on my Air 2 a little bit more.

That being said, I’m more than likely getting a pro soon anyways. The newest one was an Apple Pencil test ride. It passed, now I want a bigger canvas. :getin:

Just debating on waiting until the fall to see if there will be Pro or Pencil revisions.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, my Air 2 is a 64GB model and that amount of storage does fine for me, plus IDGAF about the pencil, so I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I have an app (eg Safari) running in overlay mode how do I “maximize” the app? The only way I can figure out is to drag the window down to turn it into split screen mode and then drag the window full to close the other app. But that seems really clunky.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks thread, based on the recommendations here I just purchased the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard for my 10.5 Pro. This is a really nice keyboard. My 2013 15” MBP cried a little because it knows it’s now completely deskbound.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I have an app (eg Safari) running in overlay mode how do I “maximize” the app? The only way I can figure out is to drag the window down to turn it into split screen mode and then drag the window full to close the other app. But that seems really clunky.

The only other way I know of is to go back to the main app proper. Definitely faster if it’s on your dock or homescreen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

killa-pope posted:

The only other way I know of is to go back to the main app proper. Definitely faster if it’s on your dock or homescreen.

Thanks, though it doesn't work exactly like that. If I'm in Mail and have Safari overlayed, then hitting the Safari icon in the dock just brings up the overlay (or does nothing if the overlay is up). You need to press the home button to exit Mail and only then will tapping Safari open it back up properly. Still it's much faster than dragging Safari down into side-by-side mode and then maximizing it, I guess.

Anyway, so this morning I had a minor panic cause I couldn't find the female-female adapter for my Pencil. I found it eventually but I thought I'd buy a replacement or two if the price was right and it looks like Apple doesn't sell these (or even the caps from what I can see, only the tips are for sale)? Kinda seems like an oversight on their end to be honest.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
So a few days ago I bought a 128GB 2018 iPad as it seemed like a great deal for the money. My main interest in the iPad is using it as a musical sketchpad to use while I'm on the go and at the park. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience using this model for music production. I bought this synth app and Beatmaker 3 the other day, and it seems to give me moments of audio cackling due to the CPU being overloaded. I know the moog apps can be quite CPU heavy, but will I run into similar issues if I were to use the iPad running guitar effects pedals and an audio interface? I don't think the huge added cost of a pro would make that much of a difference as the CPU seems to be only slightly better, and I don't think RAM is the limiting factor here.

Edit, RAM is definitely not the limiting factor as Beatmaker reports RAM usage at 35mb, whereas CPU usage is between 40-60% with three instruments playing at once (two of them being the Moog app).

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if the 2018 iPad can run all that or not, but the first few days to a week of a new iOS or even Android device can bog down because of all the background processes that are downloading. You might not have a good idea of this iPad’s capabilities until a week has passed.

I’d probably email the developers. If it’s a halfway decently supported app they would have tested it on a variety of iPad models.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I haven’t messed with them for a few months but my old rear end iPad Air (1) runs BeatMaker 2, Cubasis LE, Korg Animoog, Gadget, and a few other things like that and I’ve never heard any crackling.

For more experienced info, there should be an iOS thread in the Musicians Lounge, too, unless it died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
OK, advice please...

I start a new job on Monday and it's going to be a fairly intense sink or swim thing on the job training wise. I was planning on showing up there with an actual notebook with the thought that I was going to have to take some quick and detailed notes and it would be NBD to sort them out later but I talked to my coworker today and she was like you have no idea how many notes you are going to need to take and reference later.

So I think from an organizational standpoint paper is out of the question for me personally, so iPad with Pencil seems like the best option. I don't sketch, basically my quick handwriting is terrible even though completely readable to me, I never thought I would be buying an iPad with Pencil but typing out notes is just going to be completely impractical. Is a new iPad with Pencil a solid choice or should I spring for a Pro?

I have an office with a desktop and I'm allowed to use company WiFi for my personal devices including my personal Chromebook which will come with me every day, I will probably buy a cellular iPad so I can stream U-Verse as I want on my own data connection but other than occasional use as a TV it's going to be a poo poo, I need to take a bunch of notes or look them up, otherwise unneeded device.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 10, 2018