Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Halo14 posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/melbourne-cafe-owner-warns-staff-who-claimed-underpaymen/9699980

Melbourne cafe owner threatens to sue staff, who claimed they were underpaid, for 'harassment'

"You're going to get sued for damage to my business"

*immediately kills business*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
You cant kill me if i kill myself!

*Saren shoots Saren*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol at reading about incels in the Australian media.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Weird gambit of Steve's, substituting "sincerest apologies" with "I will have my revenge"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This incel terrorism is absolutely killing me lmao

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

old mate has a tangential point w/r/t the fact that his business is tied up to his house and that if the business fails, he loses the house, and that could in theory lead to a far more eloquent discussion about banking culture and how repayments are so large and the cost of setting up a business is excessively high, even excluding the cost of staff wages.

but then, this guy's a fuckwit who's trying to gently caress over his staff so he can choke on my dick

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why is Canada the world leader at explicit, manifested can't-get-a-date mass murder

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

tithin posted:

old mate has a tangential point w/r/t the fact that his business is tied up to his house and that if the business fails, he loses the house, and that could in theory lead to a far more eloquent discussion about banking culture and how repayments are so large and the cost of setting up a business is excessively high, even excluding the cost of staff wages.

Maybe a better financial strategy would be to not gently caress over your reputation forever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Peccadillo posted:

Why is Canada the world leader at explicit, manifested can't-get-a-date mass murder

Canada is America's fedora.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Westpac's share price dropped a lot today (all the others dropped pretty heavily as well). Here's why:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/banking-royal-commission-grills-financial-planning-associations/9698552 posted:

Westpac home lending standards shock analysts; bank says bad loans remain very low

This graph from UBS, from data obtained via the banking royal commission, tells you a lot of the story:

Westpac mortgage customers' debt-to-income ratio

In a separate note, UBS analyses APRA's latest regulatory moves, where the bank regulator asks institutions to develop internal limits on granting loans that would leave customers with debt-to-income ratios above 6x.

"Therefore such a Debt-to-Income limit is likely to have a material impact on credit availability going forward."

The latest loan to income ratios from the bank paint a very different picture, which UBS says suggests it "may not provide an accurate reflection of the customer's financial position."

Loan-to-income ratio

Furthermore, apparently four-out-of-five Westpac mortgage customers spend less than $40,000 a year on living costs beyond their mortgage repayment, with 16 per cent spending less than $20,000. Very frugal people.

Assessed annual living expenses

The UBS conclusion:
"This data raises questions regarding the quality of WBC's $400b mortgage book (70% of its loans). While WBC has undertaken significant work to improve its mortgage underwriting standards over the last 12 months, we expect it and the other majors to further sharpen underwriting standards given the Royal Commission's concerns with Responsible Lending. This could potentially lead to a sharp reduction in credit availability (credit crunch)."

No wonder that investors are taking heed of the UBS "sell" call on Westpac, with the bank's shares off 4.6 per cent to $27.84.

But Westpac has responded, saying its delinquency rate remains low at 0.67 per cent, with a further update due at its half-year results on May 7.

It has also addressed some of the specific issues raised in the PwC report and UBS analysis:

"It has reassessed the 38 loans that PwC believed would fail the standard using both the information on the credit files (which was available to PwC) and other information available to the bank at the time (which was not part of the PwC review). On this basis all the loans would have been approved, apart from one loan (this loan is currently ahead of its repayments)."

"Only four of the loans in the sample are currently greater than 30 days past due, of which only one is greater than 90 days past due. This is well below the portfolio average for delinquencies."

"All of the loans in the sample were originated over 18 months ago and are now well matured. Of the original 420 loans, 90 have already been repaid/refinanced."

Hmmm, yes, this seems responsible and not a good way to destroy the economy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

but then, this guy's a fuckwit who's trying to gently caress over his staff so he can choke on my dick

poty

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Canada is America's fedora.

M'ountie

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tithin posted:

Yet another time where a comma would help so much.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Leftist cucks

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Jihadists believe they'll get 72 virgins in heaven.
The IRA were catholics (right?) and Catholics believe they shouldn't even masturbate or it will offend God.
This incel drove his van into a bunch of people.

Guys, I think I've worked out what makes a terrorist and it isn't radicalisation. It's a lack of sex.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That wage-theiving Northcote cafe always has a line out the door when I go past. They were obviously doing very well so they don't even have a poo poo non-excuse to gently caress over their workers. I wonder if the hipsters will turn against them now?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Konomex posted:

The IRA were catholics (right?) and Catholics believe they shouldn't even masturbate or it will offend God.

Guys, I think I've worked out what makes a terrorist and it isn't radicalisation. It's a lack of sex.

ISIS literal sex slavery

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

GoldStandardConure posted:

literally the douglas renholm defense from the i.t. crowd

shame they didn't bow out like Denholm Reynholm

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

Lol if you think Irish Catholics don't gently caress more often without a dinger

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mr Chips posted:

shame they didn't do bow out like Denholm Reynholm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbTO8-tWc4U

just so

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Konomex posted:

That's the single shittiest stand up bit from 2002 that anyone has ever proposed

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

Ms Petroulias said Barry is the first cafe she and her brother Steve have owned. She says they were told weekend penalty rates could be traded off for staff meals.
"We had no idea about wage rates or anything. My brother looked on Google, and got the wage rates. I know we did wrong and we want to rectify anything," she said.
The first four google results for "wage rate australia" are Fair Work dot gov dot au

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 26, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Konomex posted:

The IRA were violent because they were being brutally oppressed by the British, it wasn't because they weren't getting laid enough.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

The IRA were violent because they were being brutally oppressed by the British, it wasn't because they weren't getting laid enough.

The original IRA maybe. The rIRA are their subreddit incel successors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

Look at this Fenian.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

bandaid.friend posted:

The first four google results for "wage rate australia" are Fair Work dot gov dot au
TBH I think the cafe owner saying they googled it was just a piss weak effort to try look like they did something to check what the going award rates were. Either they were stupid enough to think they could just pay whatever they wanted or thought they could and get away with it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bandaid.friend posted:

Do recall that searches are influenced by what you've searched for previously, so if old mate's been googling "how do I gently caress over my workers" "how much is an ipa membership" and "why does it burn when I pee" then he's going to get bad results

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Jason Hannagan had to sell his home and an investment property after a financial lender gave his family a loan they could not afford to repay.

Mr Hannagan's family took out a $590,750 loan from a lender called Pepper Money in 2012.

He estimated the family's monthly income was about $9,500 and their monthly expenses were about $4,000.

But their mortgage broker recorded their expenses as being just $15,600 a year, which equates to $1,300 a month.

"That's for [a family of] five people," Mr Hannagan, who runs his own delivery business, told 7.30.

"It's an imaginary figure.

"The broker just told us to sign the page and we faxed it back to her and she said she'd fill out the rest."

Mr Hannagan says they could never afford the loan.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Part of me is torn with those stories. Whilst the lenders are obviously being terrible the borrowers went in knowing how much their repayments were and their actual income/expenditures so it feels like they're trying desperately to throw away any personal responsibility with regard to their own decisions.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Just seems like dumb boomers who didn't read what they were signing trying to use the royal commission to double dip and get refunds

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

Just seems like dumb boomers who didn't read what they were signing trying to use the royal commission to double dip and get refunds

Agreed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The more I think about that plan to remove all those corpses from under the Melbourne CBD the funnier it gets.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Look at this Fenian.

:carbombs your house:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The more I think about that plan to remove all those corpses from under the Melbourne CBD the funnier it gets.

I mean, what if people don't want their distant relatives' corpses back?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I mean, what if people don't want their distant relatives' corpses back?

Are they going to DNA test everyone in Victoria to find their relatives?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Anidav posted:

I cannot imagine signing a form before getting someone else to fill it out

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Went past Barry today and there were loads of people in there. Class traitors, the lot of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Jason Hannagan had to sell his home and an investment property after a financial lender gave his family a loan they could not afford to repay.

Mr Hannagan's family took out a $590,750 loan from a lender called Pepper Money in 2012.

He estimated the family's monthly income was about $9,500 and their monthly expenses were about $4,000.

But their mortgage broker recorded their expenses as being just $15,600 a year, which equates to $1,300 a month.

"That's for [a family of] five people," Mr Hannagan, who runs his own delivery business, told 7.30.

"It's an imaginary figure.

"The broker just told us to sign the page and we faxed it back to her and she said she'd fill out the rest."

Mr Hannagan says they could never afford the loan.

Owned

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Are they going to DNA test everyone in Victoria to find their relatives?

If so, it's even odds they'd immediately give that info to the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but it just seems like they were taken advantage of because they didn't read what they were signing. They just saw or heard the words more money and signed away. Getting complete strangers to fill out a form for you. Jesus, you dumb grey haired investors got swindled clean and easy and it wasn't exactly because of the lenders misbehaviour but because of the investors apathy towards getting involved with what they were signing. They just want to sit on their asses and earn passive incomes regardless of how a financial adviser fills out their forms.

Sign and earn
Sign and earn

Suddenly it's sign and burn and the banks cop the full blame. No these fools weren't paying attention and got smacked by the professor for not studying for the exam.

I hope the royal commission doesn't force the banks to refund these vultures, they don't deserve to get the money just so they can fly again and be parasites to society as a whole.

Clip their wings and send them all to the gulags

• Locked thread