Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radish posted:

He kinda is. His crimes are trying to highlight abuses by powerful people that can't be touched but end up a bit lame (a store knowingly selling expired pudding) and no one really cares. He's trying to be a hero outside of the system since the system totally rejected his dream of being a hero.

The main characters from Vigilantes are absolutely criminals as well (one even working with the guy that connects villains with resources) but since they're the protagonists they have a plot that wants them to succeed and they end up being heroic.

The characters in Vigilantes have helped far more people than Gentle have and I don't think that's just "luck" or the protagonist powers. I mean tbf a lot of that is due to Gentle being kind of a loser with ridiculous plans, but also he seems just as concerned with filming himself doing his vigilante stuff as he does with actually doing 'heroic' things. Hell he seems more concerned with the filming. Dude's a good person and he's not really villainous at all but his dream was to become a great person and make it into the textbooks, and he's more focusing on the latter part right now.

How does infiltrating this high school help anyone? His justification was that by sneaking in during the culture festival he would teach them to be better prepared about people sneaking into this festival. Truly a heroic deed, which is definitely his main motivation and not the exposure. Like the dude is desperate to achieve his dream, the backstory makes that clear, but that desperation kinda makes it come off to me like he's trying to achieve his dream for the sake of achieving his dream rather than to help people or make a difference or anything. Like, Gentle is great but I don't think he's helped anyone and in his zeal to achieve his dream I don't think he's really putting that much effort into it. Even ignoring the potential greater consequences of his current plan he's attempting to ruin a festival a lot of kids are looking forward to. But y'know it's for their sake so it's ok. It just doesn't come off as particularly heroic and I don't buy that deep down he truly thinks this is going to benefit anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Shutting down illustrious prestige schools with elitist entrance requirements is a noble goal all its own that requires no further qualifiers to make worthwhile. Not making a good case against Gentle here yall.

In marxist hero academia, you can make a différance!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sharkopath posted:

Shutting down illustrious prestige schools with elitist entrance requirements is a noble goal all its own that requires no further qualifiers to make worthwhile. Not making a good case against Gentle here yall.

:hai:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If UA closes then the #1 teacher Aizawa is out of a job and that's unconscionable.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And with all said and done, Gentle is really cool and I love him and La Brava.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My impression was always that the VA was in a rarified position due to having the teleport quirk guy, where as most villains wouldn't get within 100 feet of UA/a hero school without getting their poo poo kicked in.

And the reason the VA cares about UA is that UA has All Might. Sure striking another school would panic the public, but the whole point is that UA and All Might are part of the same mythology.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

whose quirk is the power of friendship

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

If UA closes then the #1 teacher Aizawa is out of a job and that's unconscionable.

Prestigious hero like him, he can probably settle down and become a house husband and look after Eri.

i'd read a spinoff about Aizawa being a dad

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Slime posted:

Prestigious hero like him, he can probably settle down and become a house husband and look after Eri.

i'd read a spinoff about Aizawa being a dad

Eri&!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't know why people are mad at Deku for stopping Gentle when dude would have broken in and gotten instantly clowned by Aizawa. His escape plan relied on using a quirk that would just get instantly deleted.

There was no happy ending in criminal work for Gentle and La Brava and that's literally the entire point.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I don't know that anyone's made at Gentle being stopped, per se, because hey, that was almost certainly going to happen at some point or another. They might just be somewhat apprehensive of how over the top Deku took the entire confrontation, and the way he did things that could've easily crippled everyone involved, which wasn't really very heroic.

He seriously needs some remedial make-up classes in non-violent conflict de-escalation and negotiation tactics.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I mean, he's got a particular skillset available to him and he's doing like All Might would have.

Gentle was the instigator and was asked to surrender several times.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Shere posted:

I mean, he's got a particular skillset available to him and he's doing like All Might would have.

Gentle was the instigator and was asked to surrender several times.

Ehh I don't think what Deku did was over the top, but this exactly the sort of justification real world people use for police brutality. Substitute superpowers for "training" or whatever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ehh I don't think what Deku did was over the top, but this exactly the sort of justification real world people use for police brutality. Substitute superpowers for "training" or whatever.

On the other hand, it’s a shonen

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Fortunately, Deku had the good sense not to pummel or strangle Gentle while he was restrained, a clear example of UA's high training standard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I don't know that anyone's made at Gentle being stopped, per se, because hey, that was almost certainly going to happen at some point or another. They might just be somewhat apprehensive of how over the top Deku took the entire confrontation, and the way he did things that could've easily crippled everyone involved, which wasn't really very heroic.

He seriously needs some remedial make-up classes in non-violent conflict de-escalation and negotiation tactics.

We get that point, it is just that it is an incredibly stupid one. Deku did his best to try to settle this conflict peacefully by asking them not to attack UA. It was Gentle who escalated the conflict by refusing the simple request of not attacking a school event and causing untold havoc to the community. Combine that with the fact that Gentle could have just ditched the plan and fled the scene then Deku would not have pursued him, almost all of what happened on the fight and the consequences involved with it are on Gentle's head.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
"attacking"

I'm, uh, pretty sure that Gentle and La Brava's plan wasn't to attack anyone. It was to sneak in and shoot a video of the culture festival while inside, then escape. Trespassing doesn't generally merit a brutal takedown, and when that happens in real life, people generally criticize it as an overreaction and abuse of authority. Except for stupid people, usually.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Andrast posted:

On the other hand, it’s a shonen

Right, that's exactly why I don't think Deku overreacted. The situation was engineered to be a fight anyway, since yes, shonen. It doesn't loving matter if Deku punched Gentle hard. He wasn't ever in any real danger since, again, shonen, and he can turn anything into rubber. And Deku had a good reason for wanting to stop him.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tekne posted:

Fortunately, Deku had the good sense not to pummel or strangle Gentle while he was restrained, a clear example of UA's high training standard.

yeah its lucky dekus not a cop

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EimiYoshikawa posted:

"attacking"

I'm, uh, pretty sure that Gentle and La Brava's plan wasn't to attack anyone. It was to sneak in and shoot a video of the culture festival while inside, then escape. Trespassing doesn't generally merit a brutal takedown, and when that happens in real life, people generally criticize it as an overreaction and abuse of authority. Except for stupid people, usually.

Lets go over their plan in detail.
Step 1: Take down the UA security system so that they could sneak in.
Step 2: Make a video about how lax UA security is.
Step 3: Become famous.

This plan shows the same level of thought as the underwear scheme does. Disabling the security in a high value location that less then a year ago suffered a major attack where criminals were going out of their way to assassinate heroes and butcher an entire class of students. If any villain was aware of what Gentle was doing could of used this opportunity to attack the school and cause another high scale incident as well as cause a lot of innocent people to be hurt or killed. The video itself was attacking the school when the principal was doing all he could to ensure that everybody in the school could benefit from the opportunity that is UA as the festival is for basically everybody but the heroes. Upon said video being aired, Gentle and La Brava would have been hunted down with extreme prejudice for attacking UA and the school would have gone through more serious changes which would have hosed up things even more for the students. So even if his plan would have succeeded, the only people who would have benefited would have been the League of Villains.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

"attacking"

He knew full well that he was breaking in to disturb the peace, disrupt the festival, and expose some perceived flaws in hero society for a really selfish reason. He wasn't just trying to break in, he was trying to bring indirect harm to a bunch of students who really don't need more of that poo poo in their lives.

Like yeah it's okay to empathize with the dude but people are seriously understating the kind of harm he was determined to do while they try to do mental gymnastics to turn Deku into a bad guy.

Gentle got asked and told several times to turn around and walk away and refused. He met force with force and got outmatched. Deku didn't do anything wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A good punching just makes you a better person in shonen

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Gentle's just on the outskirts of society at this point.

This is why I'm still convinced he's going to be radicalized and recruited by the League of Villains.

e: I mean, he wants to prove he's better than the heroes who have gone through the system successfully. What route is there for him? There's no civilian/hero competitions, he doesn't get to stop villains and show he's better at protecting people, he isn't even allowed to use his quirk in public. It's basically smash the state or nothing.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Also complaining about appropriate force in a superhero story is really weird. Are we supposed to give bakugo poo poo for exploding ochako during the tournament now?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Conot posted:

Also complaining about appropriate force in a superhero story is really weird. Are we supposed to give bakugo poo poo for exploding ochako during the tournament now?

Nah, she was down with getting blown up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You have to understand that with this being a shonen, people on average have a higher level of durability that you or me. Deku tackling Gentle out of the sky into a construction site might seem dangerous, but it really only left him with some scratches and bruises. At the end of the fight, Gentle was beaten down, but he wasn't left in a bloody heap on the group.

Deku's never gone too far on an opponent before. Even back when he was hitting with his full force, the only person he ever brutalized was himself.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EimiYoshikawa posted:

"attacking"

"I know you're about to commit a crime, please reconsider."

"No, we're going to commit this crime whether you like it or not."

It's not like this dude wandered into the wrong part of town and got form tackled by superman for no reason. He very deliberately was planning to trespass, having prepared measures to disable security beforehand, and even after being told several times not to do so (and the negative consequences of doing so), did not stop trying.

E: also reading through this again, Gentle uses his quirk against Deku first.

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2018

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
And UA isn't some random public area either. It's not public in the first place, it's not the USA and it's also well-known that UA had been attacked by villains recently and are thus on high alert.

In fact, Gentle knew this and this was the reason why he wanted to break in. When he got noticed he should have aborted immediately.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CiMIPPOOkk&t=475s

Pictured: The Greatest Hero, the Symbol of Peace.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CiMIPPOOkk&t=475s

Pictured: The Greatest Hero, the Symbol of Peace.

I did think it was pretty messed up when Recovery Girl told All Might that he almost broke Deku's back. That would have been a dark turn for the series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's not quite the same thing, but Gentle trying to break into UA to get more Youtube views and how this will end up harming the school and affect heroes is really reminding me of the start of the Civil War comics.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

amigolupus posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but Gentle trying to break into UA to get more Youtube views and how this will end up harming the school and affect heroes is really reminding me of the start of the Civil War comics.

And then La Brava falls in love with Bakugou, and ...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

It’s basically smash the state or nothing.

Become a salaryman and settle down with La Brava. :3: I mean it ain’t perfect but at least he could keep up his tea hobby.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Conot posted:

And the reason the VA cares about UA is that UA has All Might.

A good point. Hiring All Might was extremely irresponsible, especially considering he does nothing but hang out in the break room and occasionally talk to Deku. He could have just got an apartment in a far away city and just FaceTime'd Deku every now and again and gotten the same effect without endangering countless lives.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Who What Now posted:

A good point. Hiring All Might was extremely irresponsible, especially considering he does nothing but hang out in the break room and occasionally talk to Deku. He could have just got an apartment in a far away city and just FaceTime'd Deku every now and again and gotten the same effect without endangering countless lives.

He was hired before that though, All Might's plan was to enter UA, find someone that could take OFA, and have that person as his successor. That plan got derailed by meeting someone that completely fit his requirements personality-wise, thus making it unneccesary, but the contract was already there, and what kind of hero would All Might be if he broke a contract? Heroes should work hard.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Agronox posted:

Become a salaryman and settle down with La Brava. :3: I mean it ain’t perfect but at least he could keep up his tea hobby.

I agree, if he were the kind of person society demanded he be that he could be happy in society.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blaze Dragon posted:

He was hired before that though, All Might's plan was to enter UA, find someone that could take OFA, and have that person as his successor. That plan got derailed by meeting someone that completely fit his requirements personality-wise, thus making it unneccesary, but the contract was already there, and what kind of hero would All Might be if he broke a contract? Heroes should work hard.

The only thing AM is working hard at is breaking in that couch he lives on nowadays.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

The only thing AM is working hard at is breaking in that couch he lives on nowadays.

I think he's earned a retirement.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Even if he no longer has the super strength and speed, the manga has shown us he still has fighting experience and good reflexes. And he's already been trying to get his normal body into shape if for no other reason than to prolong his life and be able to mentor longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really want a short All Might prequel. I guess that's what the movie is gonna do for a bit but a whole volume dedicated to Shimura and All Might would be fun to read

also, I was thinking about the limits of One for All the other day. As Deku has used it, it sends energy to all parts of his body and it basically makes his muscles tougher. so, does this basically make him invincible to bullets and poo poo?

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 26, 2018