Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

zaurg posted:

2002 Saturn SC2
52k miles
Transmission dying, shop says $1500-2k to rebuild

What do you do in this scenario with oldass car but relatively low mileage? Pay around the same amount as the car is worth to have it repaired? Or just drive the thing till it dies while doing the minimum basics to keep it running (tires, oil changes) while saving $ like mad to be ready to buy replacement used car w/ cash? Another option?

Drop the money to get it fixed, save like crazy afterwards. It's low mileage so you could very possibly end up putting a good number of years on this car still, at least 3 with a new transmission before I'd be worried about other major repairs. Oil leaks and poo poo like that can be ignored but this is something that is going to poo poo the bed a lot sooner than you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I've got some questions about utility vans and need to make sure I'm not being an idiot.

I'm interested in trading in my jeep wrangler for a utility van. I'm a seasonal employee with the Park Service meaning I move every 6 months, drive a ton of mile during those moves, and haul all of my stuff when I do. I can currently fit my life in the back of a wrangler, but it is rough going, the mileage sucks, and I haven't needed any of the extra offroad capability offered and the tiny size and general lack of amenities makes me dislike it more and more.

My thinking was that if I got a cheapo fleet vehicle it would be a reliable and capable vehicle that I could haul all my things and still have room to sleep in it. It would likely get better mileage than the Jeep. Parts would be plentiful and cheap. And if I was so inclined I could convert it to a 4x4 or more of an adventure van if I decided to. Additionally, I could make some extra scratch by hauling stuff in the back. I will probably have at most about 20k to play with, with no real intention to add or modify the vehicle in the first year or so.

Did I miss a thread for that stuff here? Are there any forums for this kind of thing? Does anyone know of the ups and downs in general between the tons of different work van options? And I a dumb idiot who should be looking at a different sort of vehicle entirely?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nyyen posted:

I've got some questions about utility vans and need to make sure I'm not being an idiot.

I'm interested in trading in my jeep wrangler for a utility van. I'm a seasonal employee with the Park Service meaning I move every 6 months, drive a ton of mile during those moves, and haul all of my stuff when I do. I can currently fit my life in the back of a wrangler, but it is rough going, the mileage sucks, and I haven't needed any of the extra offroad capability offered and the tiny size and general lack of amenities makes me dislike it more and more.

My thinking was that if I got a cheapo fleet vehicle it would be a reliable and capable vehicle that I could haul all my things and still have room to sleep in it. It would likely get better mileage than the Jeep. Parts would be plentiful and cheap. And if I was so inclined I could convert it to a 4x4 or more of an adventure van if I decided to. Additionally, I could make some extra scratch by hauling stuff in the back. I will probably have at most about 20k to play with, with no real intention to add or modify the vehicle in the first year or so.

Did I miss a thread for that stuff here? Are there any forums for this kind of thing? Does anyone know of the ups and downs in general between the tons of different work van options? And I a dumb idiot who should be looking at a different sort of vehicle entirely?

I don't have any sort of real suggestion outside of searching for 'vanlife'. There is currently a huge sort of thing where people do exactly what you are asking about, in vans. 20 grand is a ton of money to do this with as well, with that you might be even able to get one of those Quigley 4x4 conversion vans used. Or go 'exotic' and get a Toyota Hiace import, get yourself a diesel 4x4 full-size van and still have a bunch of money left over. Plenty reliable.

I also might be biased because we just picked up a Toyota LiteAce 4x4, and if I were a single person roaming the country side this would be the perfect sort of vehicle for it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

That is a bitchin' van!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nyyen posted:

So, a few points (saying this as a person that seriously planned to live out of a van for a year):

Fleet vehicles are "reliable," not because of an inherent reliable design, but because of an ecosystem manufacturers build around service procedures, parts and depot service ordering and delivery, mechanic training, and plain old organizational inertia. Sure, a certain vehicle may have "easier" PM (preventative maintenace) procedures, but they may not. The entire reason Ford shoved the 6.0 diesel into the E350 as a fleet-only vehicle was because fleet shops were already used to dropping the entire subframe (with lift and hoist sold by Ford, BTW) to do the 10k and 50k PM stuff. The fact that the 6.0 needed the entire engine+subframe dropped to change a belt was simply an extra step for a shop, versus a dealbreaker for the average owner, hence the fleet-only optioning. During the last five years or so of the Crown Victoria, fleet shops (recommended by a Ford TSB) adopted, across the board, a Dorman replacement thermostat housing to solve overheating and leakage issues. This is fine for a fleet to adopt: a $100 part that can be installed at the next 10 or 20k mile PM with no additional issues because you're already removing the fuel rail and injectors to replace the O-rings, and barely adds to the PM time. But for a personally-owned vehicle, that's either a $1000 day in the shop or a $300 weekend, with you doing it on your own with a high risk of not having your house available to you if you gently caress up.

There are plenty of utility vans that people purchase and live out of. The Dodge ProMaster City (originally a Fiat-designed product for the Euro market) is actually one of Chrysler's best vehicles, and I say that with a huge lump in my throat because gently caress Chrysler. It had a decade of refinements applied to it while it was used overseas, before being brought to the US. The Ford Transit with the 3.4 V6 (only engine available in the US) is also a fine vehicle, with plenty of engine access all around to do even moderate repairs to. If I had 20 to 40k to spend on a #vandweller #vanlife vehicle, it would probably be a 2015+ Transit (avoid the 2014s, a lot of "no fucks" were given on that model due to the looming generation change).

Just remember that a "fleet vehicle's" reliability often assumes a fleet shop also exists.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there a guide to what brands on rockauto to avoid/trust? A ton of my posts in this thread are that question. Like right now I'm looking at this:

Is there any reason NOT to get the $5 one?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'd get the AC Delco, because at least they are an OEM provider.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
RE: van dwelling chat

As much as HiAces/LiteAces/Delicas are rad and tempting, keep in mind parts for these can be hard to find or expensive. Even a Vanagon/Westfalia can be a bit of a bitch to find parts for in the middle of Buttfuck, Nowhere. I helped a buddy buy a van last year because he was going to drive across the U.S and do his freelance work at the same time. I kept trying to steer him towards a good GM option because no matter where you're going to go there are going to be parts and people familiar with the vehicle. What you're going to spend on gas money on the larger motor you'll make up for in parts. Anyway, he spent his entire budget on a very used Westy, opted not to change the fluids before he left (against my advice) and by the grace of God the loving thing didn't poo poo itself until he made it down to Portland where he sold it for more than he bought it for.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Breakfast Feud posted:

RE: van dwelling chat

As much as HiAces/LiteAces/Delicas are rad and tempting, keep in mind parts for these can be hard to find or expensive. Even a Vanagon/Westfalia can be a bit of a bitch to find parts for in the middle of Buttfuck, Nowhere. I helped a buddy buy a van last year because he was going to drive across the U.S and do his freelance work at the same time. I kept trying to steer him towards a good GM option because no matter where you're going to go there are going to be parts and people familiar with the vehicle. What you're going to spend on gas money on the larger motor you'll make up for in parts. Anyway, he spent his entire budget on a very used Westy, opted not to change the fluids before he left (against my advice) and by the grace of God the loving thing didn't poo poo itself until he made it down to Portland where he sold it for more than he bought it for.

Can confirm - I opted for a cheap gmc Savana 1500 for stealth moto van and worst case you can buy anything you need for it on amazon and have it shipped to wherever you are. For 10k you can get a pretty nice used Savana/express with AWD. The people on https://expeditionportal.com are sort of insane, but a great resource for various options. Just don’t get too sucked in because, at least with my van, you could easily just buy a foam pad/inflatable mattress and a nice sleeping bag and be done with it.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Thanks for all the info so far. To be honest, I'm not interested in living out of the vehicle long term, so all this Vanlife chat is lost on me. I was thinking just a vehicle I could haul my stuff on one side and lay down a sleeping bag on the other when I'm going long distance. Vans seemed like a good option, but even now looking at the mileage I'm balking. I was only really expecting about 4 major, multi-day trips every year.

Looking at the costs of Transits, their mileage, and everything else, the GMC line does seem to be better cost wise. Are they also a pain to maintain due to the fleet maintenance things mentioned by Metal Geir? I hate the idea, but would a minivan or something else be a better fit for someone who is going to use the vehicle as a daily driver more than a place to sleep and long term hauler?

Looking at the Transit Connect and the Dodge Promaster, they both sound like something that would work fine for what I need, would be a bit smaller and easier to handle day to day, and get quite good mileage.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 26, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nyyen posted:

Thanks for all the info so far. To be honest, I'm not interested in living out of the vehicle long term, so all this Vanlife chat is lost on me. I was thinking just a vehicle I could haul my stuff on one side and lay down a sleeping bag on the other when I'm going long distance. Vans seemed like a good option, but even now looking at the mileage I'm balking. I was only really expecting about 4 major, multi-day trips every year.

Looking at the costs of Transits, their mileage, and everything else, the GMC line does seem to be better cost wise. Are they also a pain to maintain due to the fleet maintenance things mentioned by Metal Geir? I hate the idea, but would a minivan or something else be a better fit for someone who is going to use the vehicle as a daily driver more than a place to sleep and long term hauler?

Looking at the Transit Connect and the Dodge Promaster, they both sound like something that would work fine for what I need, would be a bit smaller and easier to handle day to day, and get quite good mileage.

Also look at the mercedes metris - I have a friend who went into a dealership just looking and ended up buying one for way less than retail and he really likes it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Ford Transit with the 3.4 V6 (only engine available in the US) is also a fine vehicle, with plenty of engine access all around to do even moderate repairs to. If I had 20 to 40k to spend on a #vandweller #vanlife vehicle, it would probably be a 2015+ Transit (avoid the 2014s, a lot of "no fucks" were given on that model due to the looming generation change).

The US-market Transit appeared in 2014 as a 2015 based on the current generation platform, we've never had the older ones, so there's no generational change to consider here. We get three engines, the 3.7L V6 is standard and both the 3.5L EcoBoost and 3.2L DuraTorq are optional.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'd get the AC Delco, because at least they are an OEM provider.

They still purchase non-OEM parts from aftermarket suppliers to sell.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Nyyen posted:

I was thinking just a vehicle I could haul my stuff on one side and lay down a sleeping bag on the other when I'm going long distance. Vans seemed like a good option, but even now looking at the mileage I'm balking. I was only really expecting about 4 major, multi-day trips every year.

I hate the idea, but would a minivan or something else be a better fit for someone who is going to use the vehicle as a daily driver more than a place to sleep and long term hauler?
If you can fit your life into a Wrangler you can fit your life into a minivan and have room enough left over for a night or two. Minivans are sold to people who use them for short trips every day plus a once-a-year long roadtrip; the third seating row is for the middle child to sit and not be touching their siblings and causing fights. Then the used ones get sold to people like you, who don't need to take the kids to soccer practice but do need mobility. Fuel mileage will be significantly better than a full-size van, and minivans from almost every manufacturer are very common so parts and service will be straightforward and (depending on brand) not expensive.

For $20K you can get basically anything. I had a Dodge Grand Caravan way back for way too long, and I'm with MGS on the gently caress Chrysler bandwagon (goddam A604 transmission fuckingfuck). My parents had a couple of Pontiac Montanas in series over about a decade from around 2003, and were very happy with them. Fuel mileage was comparable to a mid-to-full-size sedan, which I'm guessing is better than you've been seeing in your Wrangler. Pontiac is a dead brand, and my parents moved away from GM entirely a couple of years ago because they don't like a few minor details about the Chevy sister vehicle. And a minivan is considerably easier to live with as a daily driver than a full-size, simply because it isn't as big.

Why do you hate the idea of a minivan? Is it the soccer-mom thing? Most of them are quite nice cars, if you can get past the (likely illusory) perceptions of other people.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What could be causing a high pitched whine at idle in my 2009 Ford Ranger? Not even a whine, more like a really long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's not super loud, you can only hear it if you are outside on the driver side (or have the windows down). But the rest of the noise and exhaust note is so lovely and trucky and bubbly and it just annoys me to death that this whine is interfering with my acoustic enjoyment with the windows down at a stoplight.

/\/\ Grand Caravans are awesome. The newest generation is great, really friendly and capable vehicle. Just put some pinstripe or slick graphics on it if you're afraid of being lame. SUV's are the new boring. Minivans are legit. /\/\

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 26, 2018

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

ExecuDork posted:

If you can fit your life into a Wrangler you can fit your life into a minivan and have room enough left over for a night or two. Minivans are sold to people who use them for short trips every day plus a once-a-year long roadtrip; the third seating row is for the middle child to sit and not be touching their siblings and causing fights. Then the used ones get sold to people like you, who don't need to take the kids to soccer practice but do need mobility. Fuel mileage will be significantly better than a full-size van, and minivans from almost every manufacturer are very common so parts and service will be straightforward and (depending on brand) not expensive.

For $20K you can get basically anything. I had a Dodge Grand Caravan way back for way too long, and I'm with MGS on the gently caress Chrysler bandwagon (goddam A604 transmission fuckingfuck). My parents had a couple of Pontiac Montanas in series over about a decade from around 2003, and were very happy with them. Fuel mileage was comparable to a mid-to-full-size sedan, which I'm guessing is better than you've been seeing in your Wrangler. Pontiac is a dead brand, and my parents moved away from GM entirely a couple of years ago because they don't like a few minor details about the Chevy sister vehicle. And a minivan is considerably easier to live with as a daily driver than a full-size, simply because it isn't as big.

Why do you hate the idea of a minivan? Is it the soccer-mom thing? Most of them are quite nice cars, if you can get past the (likely illusory) perceptions of other people.

I personally dislike the looks and the slight compromise to rear space. That's about it. I would prefer something with a bit more cargo space for hauling larger objects. I just see that as a way to get some more use and maybe dollars from the vehicle. I don't move people much so rear seating isn't something I really need.

I think you're right that a minivan seems like the best option for the money, but god are they boring.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nyyen posted:

I personally dislike the looks and the slight compromise to rear space. That's about it. I would prefer something with a bit more cargo space for hauling larger objects. I just see that as a way to get some more use and maybe dollars from the vehicle. I don't move people much so rear seating isn't something I really need.

I think you're right that a minivan seems like the best option for the money, but god are they boring.

Any minivan is going to be a straight space upgrade to your current Wrangler though, and I am not quite sure how there is a compromise to the rear as you can always just take those seats out/fold them in?

As an ~automobile enthusiast~ of the internet type, minivans are way cooler than Jeeps or CUVs. I don't get how a well-equipped sorta-hipsterish-vibe minivan (moms and dads think they are lame, thus they are cool) is somehow more boring than yet another 4 door wrangler being driven by a dad in a golf shirt and baseball cap or a lady with pretty hair. SUVs/CUVs are the uncool mom mobiles now, much like wagons are cool and sophisticated so too are minivans headed that way.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Nyyen posted:

Fair enough. Have you thought about a pickup truck, possibly with a canopy? I've got an old Ranger with a topper (worth about 1/10 of your budget, so not easy to compare) that is just stupidly practical for my friendless self. The highway mileage is OK, and it's super useful around town - on Monday I sold my freezer and delivering it to the person who bought it was dead simple. Plus I can tow a trailer so I can fit my more stuff-filled life into a smaller number of trips for my own at-least-once-a-year long-distance moves.

EDIT: mine's 4x4, I can't think of a pickup from the last two decades that didn't have 4x4 as a factory option. 2WD trucks are quite popular, but 4x4 is easy to find.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

KakerMix posted:

Any minivan is going to be a straight space upgrade to your current Wrangler though, and I am not quite sure how there is a compromise to the rear as you can always just take those seats out/fold them in?

As an ~automobile enthusiast~ of the internet type, minivans are way cooler than Jeeps or CUVs. I don't get how a well-equipped sorta-hipsterish-vibe minivan (moms and dads think they are lame, thus they are cool) is somehow more boring than yet another 4 door wrangler being driven by a dad in a golf shirt and baseball cap or a lady with pretty hair. SUVs/CUVs are the uncool mom mobiles now, much like wagons are cool and sophisticated so too are minivans headed that way.

Fair enough, I'm coming around. Looking at the Caravan, it does have a really nice rear space big enough for me to lay out fully which is really nice. Are there any minivans on the market that could accept a 4x4 kit? I do end up in some remote places with the NPS.

ExecuDork posted:

Fair enough. Have you thought about a pickup truck, possibly with a canopy? I've got an old Ranger with a topper (worth about 1/10 of your budget, so not easy to compare) that is just stupidly practical for my friendless self. The highway mileage is OK, and it's super useful around town - on Monday I sold my freezer and delivering it to the person who bought it was dead simple. Plus I can tow a trailer so I can fit my more stuff-filled life into a smaller number of trips for my own at-least-once-a-year long-distance moves.

EDIT: mine's 4x4, I can't think of a pickup from the last two decades that didn't have 4x4 as a factory option. 2WD trucks are quite popular, but 4x4 is easy to find.

I had been. I didn't have much luck finding a smaller model near me, but I've been on the lookout. Rangers in good nick are drat rare these days.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 26, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man your budget is huge you could be driving a used Land Cruiser or something

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Ok, so looking back at my posts, I have no idea what I need or even want.

Space to haul myself and stuff long distances.
Decent cargo capacity, but not huge.
Ability to tow is very welcome.
4x4 very welcome.
CHEAP, both in gas cost and initial purchase price.
I could spend 20k but I'd rather not right now, the NPS is going through some changes that might keep me from making good money for a time.

Looking at that, some kind of light pickup with a lid or a minivan seem to be the best options right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nyyen posted:

4x4 very welcome.
I could spend 20k but I'd rather not right now, the NPS is going through some changes that might keep me from making good money for a time.

Looking at that, some kind of light pickup with a lid or a minivan seem to be the best options right?

4x4 minivans aren't really a thing other than the recent, expensive AWD Toyota Sienna or the old as gently caress Toyota Previa.

4x4 trucks and SUVs either get awful fuel economy, or are expensive because they're new-ish.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are older light pickups that get north of 30 mpg that you could cram your poo poo into and still have one side of the bed to sleep in.

The old Chevy cargo vans supposedly get 18ish mpg which seems about as good as it gets for an older rig.

I know you don't want to live in it, but scrolling around in the #vanlife poo poo will show you what people are doing with various vehicles, which may be applicable to you. A lot of it is people with $$$ dropping a combined 50k on brand new sprinters plus pro conversions but there's also simpler diy builds. Even something simple like a frame inside a truck bed so you can fill one side full and still have a good 3 feet of width to sleep in might be what you need.

Javid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 26, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Nyyen posted:

I think so, yes.

What are you coming out of here? Please tell us more about your Wrangler, like its year and options. You want better mileage, and more space, and while your budget is generous obviously it's better if you spend less.

You can play with fuel economy estimates here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect
I threw some guesses at it (couldn't find 2012 Ranger for some reason - I thought they were sold in the USA until the 2012 MY at least?) and it looks like a Ranger might be a step down in fuel economy (by 1 mpg overall). A Dodge Caravan gets better mileage but will absolutely not have 4WD. I picked 2012 for my simple comparisons, YMMV (literally)

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

ExecuDork posted:

I think so, yes.

What are you coming out of here? Please tell us more about your Wrangler, like its year and options. You want better mileage, and more space, and while your budget is generous obviously it's better if you spend less.

You can play with fuel economy estimates here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbsSelect
I threw some guesses at it (couldn't find 2012 Ranger for some reason - I thought they were sold in the USA until the 2012 MY at least?) and it looks like a Ranger might be a step down in fuel economy (by 1 mpg overall). A Dodge Caravan gets better mileage but will absolutely not have 4WD. I picked 2012 for my simple comparisons, YMMV (literally)

I'm currently driving a 2004 Rubicon with the hardtop. It was given to me by family and I didn't actually want it at the time. It has about 116k miles. When I travel it is completely filled except for a space over the passenger seat to see my mirror, and I have two bikes on a hitch on the back.

I have on occasion used the 4x4 and lockers, but I was only in those situations because I knew I had them and would have just not been there if not for them. I'm just not much for offroading. The noise and mileage are my biggest complaints, but I do really enjoy the simplicity like the crank windows. I could put up with the same mileage if I could move more people, stuff, or it was giving me some other major quality of life improvement on the Jeep, and that doesn't seem to hard. I would like the option of a 1/2 inch hitch since the Jeep only has a 1/4 and pretty iffy towing capabilities as well, but that is more of nice thing to have since I only use the hitch for my bikes these days.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nyyen posted:

4x4 very welcome.

:colbert:

or

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I did an oopsie

I did a real loving big oopsie

I got the 5/8 fitting for my compression tester stuck in my engine. What in the gently caress do I do now?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I did an oopsie

I got the 5/8 fitting for my compression tester stuck in my engine. What in the gently caress do I do now?

try a broken screw extractor?

e: assuming it's screwed in...

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Javid posted:

There are older light pickups that get north of 30 mpg that you could cram your poo poo into and still have one side of the bed to sleep in.

The old Chevy cargo vans supposedly get 18ish mpg which seems about as good as it gets for an older rig.

I know you don't want to live in it, but scrolling around in the #vanlife poo poo will show you what people are doing with various vehicles, which may be applicable to you. A lot of it is people with $$$ dropping a combined 50k on brand new sprinters plus pro conversions but there's also simpler diy builds. Even something simple like a frame inside a truck bed so you can fill one side full and still have a good 3 feet of width to sleep in might be what you need.

I have some experience, living that life 15 years ago. The solution that 90% of the guys did was a truck with a camper shell. Inside the back, put a bed frame (or similar) on cinder blocks (or similar) to elevate it, and store all your crap in the space between the truck bed and your mattress.

No need to get all exotic with the van life conversion things.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

The Door Frame posted:

I did an oopsie

They make long telescoping magnetic retrieval tools for fitting into tight/cramped spaces; just an idea.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Out of curiosity, are metal filings in the combustion chamber an issue?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Ok, I think I've decided on a light pickup. Is there any consensus on what is the best bang for buck? Looking at a few sites brings up a few that piqued my interest.

Toyota Tacoma seems to have decent mileage, looks good, reliable, and availiable most everywhere.

Nissan Frontiers seem to have less good mpg but not awful, are pretty common and are just as capable as Tacomas.

Ford Rangers are not quite as good as the others it seems, but their mpg is stellar.

Is there any consensus on what would be best for me if I needed a regular cab, reliable, 6ft bed, 4x4, cheap, and common pickup?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Double post

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I did an oopsie

MAGNETS, BITCH!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Tacomas are overpriced in pretty much any condition, toyo tax goes on pretty heavy for all the older 4runner/tacomas

I'd probably look for a good ranger over a frontier but if you can find a nice one rust free i don't see a problem

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Tacomas are overpriced in pretty much any condition, toyo tax goes on pretty heavy for all the older 4runner/tacomas

I'd probably look for a good ranger over a frontier but if you can find a nice one rust free i don't see a problem

What's the deal with Land Cruisers anyway, they start out at triple what a Tacoma/4Runner does and after a few years and miles they're worth about the same. Have they been watered down into just a road car?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Twerk from Home posted:

4x4 minivans aren't really a thing other than the recent, expensive AWD Toyota Sienna or the old as gently caress Toyota Previa.

Doesn't change the "old as gently caress" aspect but the Ford Aerostar and Chevy Astro/GMC Safari both had actual proper 4x4 with a transfer case and a rear bias. The first-gen Mazda MPV also had the same, and even had a fully locked 4WD mode. The second through fourth generation Mopars all offered AWD in a more car-like form where they're mostly FWDs that occasionally engage the rear wheels.

I am somewhat surprised at how rare it was for minivans to offer AWD of any sort though. Way too many people are convinced that 4WD/AWD is mandatory to survive winter. Many of my friends have had kids in recent years or are going to soon and as their "friend who likes cars" I get asked for opinions on good family vehicles. I always point them towards minivans and every single one has rejected them over lack of AWD. They inevitably end up in a crossover that's worse for their actual needs but checks that oh-so-important box.

I do realize that things like under-floor storage and "stowable" seating conflict with having a drivetrain under the floor so you lose a bit of the draw, but it's not like the crossovers have that either.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I guess they wanted a way to differentiate the old prado platform from the 4runner. So they got rid of the V8 option on the 4runner, and built the J200 LCs off of the Tundra frame which was shortened a bit and now the only option for the LC is the 5.7 V8. It's got the usual lux stuff that 4runners don't get.

I'm still not really sure why you'd buy one when decked out Tundras are much cheaper and if you need a family wagon, the Sequoias and Highlanders exist.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The Gardenator posted:

He told me one of the modules was bad (I don't remember which one), and that in his experience when one goes bad the other should be replaced as well. I don't know what scan tool he uses, but I have seen snap on tools in his shop. There is another mechanic I trust, but he typically has a month or more waiting list (as does this mechanic) to get a car into his shop.

Made an appointment at my local dealership for next week. Quick googling says to expect a $2k or more estimate.

Dealership came back with the issue being the Front wheel Hub assembly. I am currently trying to get them to guarantee that this is the issue and that if not they will warranty the brake issue (and not just the parts replaced). Brake pedal is hard at the bottom, I don't think the issue is the Hub assembly.

E: a related question, what are recommended brands for Torx bits. GMC apparently loves Torx bits and I need a size T55 and smaller to work on the brakes. My mechanic recommended Snap On. Any other brands?

E2: Something like this (but maybe a little cheaper): https://store.snapon.com/TORX-174-Heavy-Duty-Removal-Chrome-3-8--3-8-Drive-TORX-T55-Heavy-Duty-Removal-Bit-Socket-Driver-P631268.aspx
3/8" Drive TORX® T55 Heavy Duty Removal Bit Socket Driver

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Snap-on is great but really expensive. I'd personally go for a set from a decent store brand like Husky. I happen to have a set of impact sockets from them that are great. If you're not gonna be abusing them daily and be dependent on them for your bread and butter like a mechanic would be then why spend a bunch on really expensive tools that you'll only rarely use? If you get one of those store brands with lifetime warranty you can just exchange a socket for a new one of you do ever break one.

That bing said as far as hand tools like screw drivers or T-handles go I really like Wiha.

e: yeah see, 41 bucks for a single socket.
Do that times 10 to fill out a set...