Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/salim-mehajer-appeals-bankruptcy/9700078

quote:

Former Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer has taken the stand at his own bankruptcy appeal hearing, revealing he has plans to borrow as much as $82 million for five property developments in Sydney's western suburbs.
In a hearing which ran well into the night, the appeal also heard the disgraced property developer owes the Australian Taxation Office $8.6 million.

Mr Mehajer's lawyer David Hume argued there were "complexities" in his client's financial affairs, with his multitude of properties, numerous shareholdings, debts, assets and interest owing.
Mr Hume said it required a forensic accountant to sift through the detail to determine his client's solvency.
There were also issues surrounding the amount owed to the liquidator and petitioning creditor of Mehajer’s company SM Project Developments, with the amount owed ranging from $200,000 to $230,000 to up to $668,000.
He also highlighted the 10 concurrent criminal and civil cases involving his client, including family court proceedings.
However, Justice Michael Lee rejected the appeal, describing the evidence as "unsatisfactory".
"I have not in the least bit following the travails of your client," Justice Lee said.
Justice Lee said there would be a final hearing on Mr Mehajer's bankruptcy on June 21 and 22.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/none-of-australias-federal-politicians-have-taken-an-anti

quote:

Not one Australian federal politician has taken an online course set up in the wake of the James Ashby sexual harassment case.
In 2012 Ashby, then a former staffer for Gillard-era speaker Peter Slipper, settled a case of sexual harassment against the government for $50,000. Included in the settlement was a commitment from the former Labor government that all MPs and senators would be given sexual harassment awareness training.
But since then, only 13 MPs or senators have fronted up for face-to-face briefings on sexual harassment awareness, and none of them took an online training course on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Yeah but it just seems like they were taken advantage of because they didn't read what they were signing. They just saw or heard the words more money and signed away. Getting complete strangers to fill out a form for you. Jesus, you dumb grey haired investors got swindled clean and easy and it wasn't exactly because of the lenders misbehaviour but because of the investors apathy towards getting involved with what they were signing. They just want to sit on their asses and earn passive incomes regardless of how a financial adviser fills out their forms.

Sign and earn
Sign and earn

Suddenly it's sign and burn and the banks cop the full blame. No these fools weren't paying attention and got smacked by the professor for not studying for the exam.

I hope the royal commission doesn't force the banks to refund these vultures, they don't deserve to get the money just so they can fly again and be parasites to society as a whole.

Clip their wings and send them all to the gulags

this is exceptionally bitter even for you anidav

i approve

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Yeah but it just seems like they were taken advantage of because they didn't read what they were signing. They just saw or heard the words more money and signed away. Getting complete strangers to fill out a form for you. Jesus, you dumb grey haired investors got swindled clean and easy and it wasn't exactly because of the lenders misbehaviour but because of the investors apathy towards getting involved with what they were signing. They just want to sit on their asses and earn passive incomes regardless of how a financial adviser fills out their forms.

Sign and earn
Sign and earn

Suddenly it's sign and burn and the banks cop the full blame. No these fools weren't paying attention and got smacked by the professor for not studying for the exam.

I hope the royal commission doesn't force the banks to refund these vultures, they don't deserve to get the money just so they can fly again and be parasites to society as a whole.

Clip their wings and send them all to the gulags
If they get refunded, they'll just lose it all to ATO scammers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

If they get refunded, they'll just lose it all to ATO scammers.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The problem with simply pointing and laughing at people signing up for unaffordable loans is that it’s gonna to gently caress us all eventually.

If we don’t protect people from themselves and the whole economy shits the bed we’ll all pay for it through higher unemployment, taxes for bailouts, etc.

People that are unironically sitting on the sidelines thinking they’re going to scoop up a bargain and have an easy time when the crash comes are dreaming.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

bigis posted:

The problem with simply pointing and laughing at people signing up for unaffordable loans is that it’s gonna to gently caress us all eventually.

If we don’t protect people from themselves and the whole economy shits the bed we’ll all pay for it through higher unemployment, taxes for bailouts, etc.

People that are unironically sitting on the sidelines thinking they’re going to scoop up a bargain and have an easy time when the crash comes are dreaming.
Boomers: Bloody dumb kids now days except everything to be done for them!

Also boomers: Please protect us from everything!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
The "hurr how dumb are people for borrowing more money than they could pay back" argument came up during the GFC. I can almost guarantee the banks intentionally targeted these people. After all, it's easier to trick an unsuspecting person than actually provide quality service.

It's a perfect information problem - the average borrower in this situation will probably be straight about their situation, the lender then decided to lie about their capacity to repay.

So yeah, I think the borrower's should have some recourseeven if they're crappy boomers who should have known better. There's no point in having banking regulations if the regulator turns around and tells people it's their own stupid fault they were victimised by someone, even though that person had a fiduciary responsibility toward them.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

If you're so incredibly loving stupid as to sign a form that's blank and send it through to a lender, then you deserve everything you get.

That's just plan A grade loving dumb, it's what everyone gets told never to do.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The purpose of regulation in the financial industry is to ensure that consumers have an even footing to that of the financial institutions who from a perspective of ensuring maximum profits will never put the interests of the consumer first. This has been proven time and again with financial institutions chasing commissions and bonuses at the loss of actually giving consumers something that isn't a giant pile of garbage.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Of course banks will always act in their own self interest and yes dumb boomers should get their comeuppance.

But when the house of cards comes down just because you don’t own property doesn’t mean you aren’t going to get indirectly hosed anyway.

Death is certain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
As a boomer I believe in small government
*a few moments later*
Oh no, my money! Save me government!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

As a boomer I believe in small government
*a few moments later*
Oh no, my money! Save me government!

Seems like boomers have a lot in common with buttcoiners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

At the moment the Queensland Government is trying to build a new school in the Brisbane CBD and alot of old fucks got together and made a television campaign arguing that the vacant land should be used to build apartments instead.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Noted rational actor Crazy Tolradi

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

At the moment the Queensland Government is trying to build a new school in the Brisbane CBD and alot of old fucks got together and made a television campaign arguing that the vacant land should be used to build apartments instead.

Use the site for fracking instead.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Use the land for nuclear testing instead

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
When all you've been told your whole life is that "property will only go up, up ,up!" I can see why people would be less than diligent about getting a loan for a house (particularly when pushed by dodgy lenders). Why wouldn't you risk it when it's a sure thing?

This isn't to say they aren't at least partially to blame for their situation when it all goes wrong, but it goes a way to understanding how the situation came about - something that can be pretty important if you actually want to fix the problem.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
just lol if you think banks aren’t willing to underestimate my living expenses using the benchmark instead of reading through the months of statements I’ve given them

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The problem won't be fixed. The property bubble is going to pop and destroy us all.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

just lol if you think banks aren’t willing to underestimate my living expenses using the benchmark instead of reading through the months of statements I’ve given them

If only it were possible to look at your own bank statements and understand how much you get paid and how much you spend on things. And also to listen and hear the amount repayments will be and do the simple maths to work out if that is realistic.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

Went past Barry today and there were loads of people in there. Class traitors, the lot of them.

Motherfuckers, I was going to go past this weekend for some schadenfreude. Barry Cassidy gave them a spray on the news this morning so hopefully people will get the message that you don't knowingly support wage theives.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Cool so Canada has incel terrorists and Melbourne has furries doing smash and grabs

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

If only it were possible to look at your own bank statements and understand how much you get paid and how much you spend on things. And also to listen and hear the amount repayments will be and do the simple maths to work out if that is realistic.

And while we’re at it the banks can maybe use forego 1% of their multi-billion dollar profits by not inflating the amounts they’re willing to lend.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cool so Canada has incel terrorists and Melbourne has furries doing smash and grabs

The Internet was a mistake.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

And while we’re at it the banks can maybe use forego 1% of their multi-billion dollar profits by not inflating the amounts they’re willing to lend.

Sure, that too.

Strangely I believe that both sides can share the blame in this one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wait whut

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

Sure, that too.

Strangely I believe that both sides can share the blame in this one.

gently caress boomers and all but it was very strange going through the pre-approval process recently and their willingness to use the benchmark instead of the higher level we calculated and evidenced ourselves

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

gently caress boomers and all but it was very strange going through the pre-approval process recently and their willingness to use the benchmark instead of the higher level we calculated and evidenced ourselves

I agree that when we got our loans it was hilariously easy to get a blank cheque from the bank, but it's not like we went in with our eyes closed about how much the repayments were going to be and how much our income was. If you're making financial decisions on that scale them the impetus has to be on you to use your brain to work out if the numbers make any kind of sense and whether you have any scope for surviving if problems come up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They are still piggybacking off the royal commission to get refunds out of bad decision making though. There are far more deserving people of such a bonkers second chance to undo financial choices such as the homeless or problem gamblers.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kind of feel like the media and society in general have put a lot of pressure on people to buy property so they also share some blame

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

quote:

One Nation's Pauline Hanson furious online citizenship poll being shared overseas

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson has accused a parliamentary committee of allowing foreign citizens to influence the democratic process.

In an unusual move, an online survey was set up to help politicians review proposed changes to Australia's citizenship laws.

The poll, run by the company SurveyMonkey, did not stop people voting multiple times or prevent them from using fake email addresses.

It asks people one question — do they support a push by One Nation for migrants to wait eight years before they can become an Australian citizen?

Under the current laws, migrants must wait four years.

Senator Hanson said she was furious the online poll was being shared overseas and promoted by people who disagreed with the proposed changes.

"This is foreign interference," Senator Hanson told AM.

"Keep your noses out of our politics and out of our country and out of our laws. It has nothing to do with them."

Senator Ian MacDonald, chairman of the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee, said the secretariat recommended the online poll to reduce an influx of submissions.

"In a similar bill to this one that occurred quite recently, we had over 12,000 submissions," Senator MacDonald said.

"That involves … a lot of clerical work, taking submissions, reading it, putting it online."

Senator Hanson said she was in favour of the survey until she saw it on social media sites across the world and on the Facebook pages of the Brazilian and German Consulates in Queensland.

"It's all about control of our own country. We would not be able to have a say in China, none whatsoever."

Senator Hanson said the survey lacked integrity and she wanted the committee to disregard the results.

Senator MacDonald said that would not happen, but he had reassured Senator Hanson he would take all opinions into account when making a final decision on the legislation.

"The weight that I give those online opinions where there are campaign-type responses is not as much as I give to those who have made detailed submissions and those who give evidence directly to the committee at hearings," he said.

The poll closes at 5:00pm today

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-27/pauline-hanson-says-online-citizenship-poll-foreign-interference/9701272

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
And here I was thinking I should only borrow what we could easily afford to pay back, I guess things were simpler 15 years ago when the housing market had only started getting crazy

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When will the royal commission call on that fat guy from AUSSIE

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Birdstrike posted:

The banks are basically willing to lend as much as the regulations will allow.

A friend who is familiar with cash converters internal modelling told me that their problem isn't bad debt but that apra regulations won't actually let them soak up MORE risk into their books. Given that cashies are working at the shittiest end of the debt pool just think what the banks are able to do.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-27/victoria-police-hunt-wigged-robber-in-lion-costume/9702308

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

That's already happening

The yeronga shs/tafe site was meant to be Brisbane state high v2

But now the yeronga tafe is turning into flats so they have to build a second school in the inner city

Looks like a different developer got their donation in first

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think we're going too far into cynical town here, thread, pull up! It's not some conspiracy by boomers to get the RC going to get a refund, don't forget they're the type who believe banks, corporations and the police all love you and do right by you no matter what - if we had a referendum on it they'd vote no.

These people are victims due to a number of factors:
1. Financial savvy in Australia is pretty woeful (see: amount of cc debt, mortgage debt, budget issues floating around)
2. If you trust brokers and banks and brokers and banks tell you you can afford this poo poo, why would you argue
3. They're only finding out they got screwed now that the RC has started, it's a bit hard to say they wanted the Royal Commission when they thought banks were being unnecessarily victimised by those commies in Labah

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah all these people are explicitly going to the media to get a sob story out there for some sort of refund. This isn't the first story the ABC has published showing some chucklefuck getting owned for not paying attention. There are absolutely people celebrating the royal commission for happening and they're gonna get something out of it.

I just don't like reading these stories at all.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm in the middle of this issue, if you're too stupid or greedy when it comes to money at that scale you're bound to get burnt, but I don't agree with just letting predators in the market target people either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav I think you're punishing people for crimes they may not have committed or for decisions the government has made. These people got conned so they should get a refund, end of story.

• Locked thread