Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

they say that nothing will change for their users but a) lol bullshit and 2) it's not clear which users they mean

it's all "plans to" and "just announced" and "vague on details" but at this point i don't owe them the benefit of frigall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

i bet that a) they're also going to shut down the free version of play music that lets you listen to your own music, and b) the new platform won't have that ability

guess i'd better start looking for another solution for my mp3s

plex sorta works to stream poo poo from my desktop to my phone, but sometimes when i skip a song it fails to play the next song, so i hit skip again and it successfully plays the next one

if i used it daily it would probably make me very annoyed, but i work from home so i just wired up a raspberry pi to my stereo, installed mpd, and mounted my music folder from the windows box. needs mostly suited and i have an mp3 player for when i'm out of the house

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

using the latest in ai machine learning techniques based on your search history, location history, and email history, YouTube remix creates a single machine-curated radio station that will always satisfy your musical taste. and Google YouTube remix now offers an ad-free upgrade for only 1.99/mo more than the base subscription!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

I legit don't understand why YouTube doesn't have a "Repeat" function.
it's called "Loop"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

it's called "Loop"

I though that only works on playlists, I haven't seen it for individual videos.

Although you could just make a two-item playlist with different videos of the same thing and loop it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

I though that only works on playlists, I haven't seen it for individual videos.

Although you could just make a two-item playlist with different videos of the same thing and loop it?
it works on individual videos, where it is called "Loop"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

it works on individual videos, where it is called "Loop"

Well, gently caress me. Is that new, I swear it wasn't a couple of years ago (the last time I cared to check)?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol, get hosed google. they're the most attention-deficit organization on the planet

Main Paineframe posted:

i bet that a) they're also going to shut down the free version of play music that lets you listen to your own music, and b) the new platform won't have that ability

i tried to make the play music thing work for a long time, but the interface is so phenomenally user-hostile that i finally couldn't take it any more and i gave up.

like if i want to play "bat out of hell" -- i would have to open the play music app, wait 10 seconds of lagging while it loaded some garbage ads for terrible bands, press the sidebar menu, select "my music" from an obscure menu option off the bottom of the screen, search "meat loaf", wait for it to load, and then instead of showing any of the meat loaf songs i have uploaded, it would return a link to "meat loaf radio" which when clicked plays everything except the song i wanted, punctuated with ads every other song. it's making me angry again just to write about.

so i realized that because i bought Word i also have a 1TB onedrive account, so i dumped all my music on there, and the groove music app is extremely basic but also extremely needs-suiting in that respect bc it does actually return your own music library and it's snappy and it just works. i've had a way better experience so far. onedrive isn't perfect but give that a shot maybe?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also lol that in tyool 2018 a microsoft product is the clean, lightweight, functional option that Just Works and isn't going to do anything evil with your information. 12-year-old me would be having conniptions

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i just opened google play music, tapped the search button and typed "bat " and it was the second result with a play button right there in the results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i still feel morally justified in ditching a google product

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

butt dickus posted:

i just opened google play music, tapped the search button and typed "bat " and it was the second result with a play button right there in the results
:yossame:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also i just remembered that amazon music had a service where you could upload your own music to them like you could through google play music, but amazon announced they were going to kill that off late last year

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

butt dickus posted:

i just opened google play music, tapped the search button and typed "bat " and got batman spiderman elsa finger family baby nursery rhyme toothache party song

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anthonypants posted:

also i just remembered that amazon music had a service where you could upload your own music to them like you could through google play music, but amazon announced they were going to kill that off late last year

apple music does this and has for years (itunes match) - you do have to use itunes but it's not as if any streaming music service has ux that's that much better

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

butt dickus posted:

i got a bunch of results that weren't bat out of hell but they were all way more relevant for me than bat out of hell would be
thanks google!

navigating google play music is still bad though, i'd probably use spotify but not having ads on youtube is worth dealing with google play music

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

flakeloaf posted:

i just opened google play music, tapped the search button and typed "bat " and got batman spiderman elsa finger family baby nursery rhyme toothache party song

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

i got a bunch of results that weren't bat out of hell but they were all way more relevant for me than bat out of hell would be
thanks google!

navigating google play music is still bad though, i'd probably use spotify but not having ads on youtube is worth dealing with google play music

1blocker blocks youtube ads and youtube now continues to play on safari on screen lock (and app minimize?) btw

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Celexi posted:

well done google you owned those people hard !!

it's great going to Canada. you get a pop up that's like "we see you have Youtube Red! hope you enjoy some ads while you're in Canada!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

also lol that in tyool 2018 a microsoft product is the clean, lightweight, functional option that Just Works and isn't going to do anything evil with your information. 12-year-old me would be having conniptions

microsoft has made clean, lightweight, functional options from 1975 to forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

don't troll pls

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jenny Agutter posted:

the nest is fine and if you set your thermostat lower than 80 during the summer you're killing the planet

Same, except celsius.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lomarf

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
My experience with google music is an endless tile world with

Album titl...

Long alb...

Seriousl....

How shor...

Should thes...

Names hav....

To be

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spotify: we hope you wanted one of these five songs from this artist

deezer: here's another 24-hour shuffle of only the songs you've shown an interest in and nothing new

google play: here's a google service you know what to do

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

flakeloaf posted:

google play: here's a google service you know what to do. No wait here's a google service you know what to do. Oh no, one sec, now here's a google service you know what to do. Wait, hold that thought...

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Google: here’s a service you know what to do, that’s why we’ve discontinued it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i thought groove music was going away too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why not just listen to SomaFM?

I mean, just click Illinois Street Lounge on and go.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 27, 2018

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

i thought groove music was going away too

The discontinued the subscription, but are still maintaining the “play music from OneDrive” part.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

can't wait for the usability and design nightmare of YouTube to infest my music service

Main Paineframe posted:

this is exactly what I'm expecting, ugh. google music isn't perfect but it's worked well enough for me. if it turns to poo poo I guess I'll subscribe to spotify for most stuff and then idk use subsonic for all my weird crap not on streaming platforms? :shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i like spotify the best of all my music subscription things, but gently caress it drives me nuts that the interface is different between the desktop app, iOS, and my FireTV. Nothing is even remotely in the same location.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Main Paineframe posted:

poo poo, I have the same problem. Streaming your own music from google play music was actually pretty great. I’m too cheap to pay 10 bucks a month just so I can listen to stuff I already paid for.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
so whats the over under on how long it will take google to kill google maps? its good, usable, has worked perfectly for me in all cases, and a lot of people seem to like it, so its days have to be numbered

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i think maps is safe. google earth was the sacrificial lamb there

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lysidas posted:

so whats the over under on how long it will take google to kill google maps? its good, usable, has worked perfectly for me in all cases, and a lot of people seem to like it, so its days have to be numbered

maps won't get killed but most of the changes they've made to it over the past few years have been for the worse and I don't see that trend stopping

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

maps won't get killed but most of the changes they've made to it over the past few years have been for the worse and I don't see that trend stopping

maps but with the waze ui and no reporting sounds like a fitting evolution

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe a way to share locations with g+? i dunno

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

maybe a way to share locations with g+? i dunno

g+ is already sharing its location with google chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just copy all the music i listen to onto my phone like some kind of idiot. no itunes, no goog, no bullshit.

• Locked thread