Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can/should the accuracy and evasion math be tightened up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this post from that thread seems p reasonable honestly

quote:

Dumb rework idea: allow riposte to proc on attacks even if they don't miss. Change riposte rate from being constant on all misses to (constant * PC's weapon skill / mindelay required for weapon). Don't allow ripostes if the player's last action was a melee attack or a throw.

This makes long blades' offensive power much less murky: it is just the base damage as written when tabbing. Its niche is more focused around flexibility, as long blades users can reposition while maintaining partial damage output and can mini-cleave by waiting.

e: good christ im stoned

well, thats fixed but also i have another thing to say and that is to increase staff generation on early floors augh

ee: bring back clubstabs

eee: to more accurately describe the killing power of an angry/terrified cornered cat, give felids cleave at level 9 and riposte at level 18

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 26, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tollymain posted:

ee: bring back clubstabs

*Ogre voice* yeah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please bring ogres maces apt down to +2 and their other non shortblade categories up one each

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

e: floodkiller what're the content goalposts for gooncrawl v2

I definitely want to get everything from the Design Detail survey in, as that was stuff that was originally slated for v1.0. After that, just keep working on anything else until I get stumped on everything remaining. Development will likely be slower this time due to not having holiday free time to code through.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there any way for dipshits what cant code to help

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tollymain posted:

can/should the accuracy and evasion math be tightened up

I don't know on both counts. I think the way evasion works in crawl is pretty good. It makes a clear difference, but armor is superior. Dex needs something extra, but not EV. Accuracy should be more relevant and more important to stack, at least for some characters.

I've been digging around in attack.cc and I can't actually figure out how it works. I've messed around with the function to calculate player and monster accuracy, which is straightforward for crawl, but I don't know where the actual calculation to determine whether an attack is dodged or not is kept. It's not a linear thing, accuracy and evasion both have pretty steep diminishing returns. You can have over 100 dex with 27 skills and a +9 weapon and still not have an 80% chance to hit an orb of fire.

Does anyone in the thread know how accuracy and evasion actually work, or can point me in the right direction?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Vaults, documentation, sprite work, and naming. Vaults are always needed, since they add more variety to every game. Documentation includes stuff like making the changelog, translations to other languages, upkeeping the FR log, etc. Sprite work is needed for anything new or modified in order to avoid the stupid stuff like my programmer art tiles and misaligned paperdoll equipment on species (like octopodes and helmets, or felids not having paperdoll equipment). Naming involves the fact that there's been a couple comments in the latest surveys about some of the names and flavor text for things like Orbageddon being too silly for the rest of the flavor for Crawl (even considering death cobs).

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't know on both counts. I think the way evasion works in crawl is pretty good. It makes a clear difference, but armor is superior. Dex needs something extra, but not EV. Accuracy should be more relevant and more important to stack, at least for some characters.

I've been digging around in attack.cc and I can't actually figure out how it works. I've messed around with the function to calculate player and monster accuracy, which is straightforward for crawl, but I don't know where the actual calculation to determine whether an attack is dodged or not is kept. It's not a linear thing, accuracy and evasion both have pretty steep diminishing returns. You can have over 100 dex with 27 skills and a +9 weapon and still not have an 80% chance to hit an orb of fire.

Does anyone in the thread know how accuracy and evasion actually work, or can point me in the right direction?

Tread carefully the treacherous kingdom of the floorgod.

I spent like 20 minutes trying to get at least a basic grip of how item spawning probability works and just have up.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

inability to code hasn't stopped my idiot rear end

going to try to do more to make the hermit crab poo poo better this weekend before i request it gets shoved in anywhere at least since i don't know what half of what i did actually does

edit: also i forgot the main reason i quoted you was to ask for a link to what you had in mind for the gimmick of fiddler crabs to see if it was something i could try working on after i get the hermit crab settled

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 26, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
armour slots:
head - (hats only)
cloak - (no scarves??? somebody figure out how you put a scarf on a crab)
no body slot
no gloves slot
no boots slot

jewelry slots probably as normal maybe extra tbd

innate mutations:
- antennae 2
- scaling ac like draconians/gargoyles
- maybe amphibious
- the big gimmick: a built-in medium shield w/ no penalties (upgrades to large shield at level 14), uses shields skill. idk what effective enchantment level should be. has an infrequent offhand punch style aux attack that does considerable damage

apts:
very good: dodging
good: fighting, uc, summoning, invocations
average: melee weapons/shield apts, spellcasting, hexes/charms
mediocre: stealth, tloc/tmut, air/earth
bad: ranged weapons, conjurations/necro, fire/ice/poison, evocations
n/a: armour, bows

e: rename orbageddon iskenderun's undoing

ee: dammit i just got an idea for a vault

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 26, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

coconut crab species that's good at stealth and stabbing and can burrow into basic walls but sucks at dodging and isn't very fast

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

armour slots:
head - (hats only)
cloak - (no scarves??? somebody figure out how you put a scarf on a crab)
no body slot
no gloves slot
no boots slot

innate mutations:
- antennae 2
- scaling ac like draconians/gargoyles
- maybe amphibious
- the big gimmick: a built-in medium shield w/ no penalties (upgrades to large shield at level 14), uses shields skill. idk what effective enchantment level should be. has an infrequent offhand punch style aux attack that does considerable damage

apts:
very good: dodging
good: fighting, uc, summoning, invocations
average: melee weapons/shield apts, spellcasting, hexes/charms
mediocre: stealth, tloc/tmut, air/earth
bad: ranged weapons, conjurations/necro, fire/ice/poison, evocations
n/a: armour, bows

e: rename orbageddon iskenderun's undoing

ee: dammit i just got an idea for a vault

No boot slots, or 4 boot slots? :thunk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they got crab feet, they dont make crab boots

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Consider how their literally one single AC source other than the innate one gonna be hats. +2 AC from equipment and that's it? What about resists?

Also I'm not sure if you forgot rings or if you think a crab wearing rings is less silly than a crab in boots.

Like, their whole entire equipment slot set is, if I understand it right;

Hat
Weapon
Cloak
Talisman

You gonna have a hell of a time gathering resists for any of the later branches.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i forgot to mention rings and amulet yes

they could be an extra ring slots species like the octopode i suppose

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
How about innate rF+, rC+, rCorr? (and yes, still vulnerable to Steam)

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Teal posted:

Also I'm not sure if you forgot rings or if you think a crab wearing rings is less silly than a crab in boots.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im good w both these things happening here

also i just remembered theres a word that specifically means evolving to become crab-like

e: carcinization

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Boots slots would obviously be ridiculous for crabs. Give them 3 glove slots instead so they can plap-plap-plap around with gloves on their little crab feet.

More seriously, what if you gave them two amulet slots and two ring slots? They wear the rings on their eyestalks and the amulets around their claws

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah sure

im afraid of actually putting steam vulnerability on it tho cause steam can get some terrifying spike damage as-is

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

rSteam- is funny but it's not as obviously clear as other resist issues so i don't particularly want to go there

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You just need special flavortext messages for when they get hit by steam damage

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

coconut crab species that's good at stealth and stabbing and can burrow into basic walls but sucks at dodging and isn't very fast

to add onto this, make them a large species that basically hides in plain sight. also decent at earth magic.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

also decent at earth magic.

i was trying to come up with something for a sand bubbler crab and this was all i could get at

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arent formicids already this except for w stasis instead of slow movement

also im not joking about the felids lmao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tollymain posted:

arent formicids already this except for w stasis instead of slow movement

also im not joking about the felids lmao

i was thinking more a stealthy tactical striker that isn't great at escaping but if they can get the drop on something then they can get the upper hand. claw.

upper claw

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats called a naee

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Crab should get Hats-only, Cloaks+Scarves, Robes-only, and Boots. The resists are pretty important. Formicids get almost full slots so it's not too weird.

Also, don't forget that the giant claw mutation comes with the only one hand (a la Ru) drawback.

Edit: Unify the Barding item for crabs, nagas, and centaurs?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 26, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tollymain posted:

thats called a naee

don't ruin my dreams, i like large races and also crabs

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Speleothing posted:

Edit: Unify the Barding item for crabs, nagas, and centaurs?

I'm liking this more & more. Special-case the two current Unrands, then add an Unrand for crabs only.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So I'm having the most luck I've had so far with getting a caster of any sort going, this kobold here, and I'm not quite sure what to do from here. Probably check out swamp/snake next, I ran into Tesla in elf with literally no way to get rElec so I'm not going back in there.

There's a relatively cheap randart quickblade in an orc shop I can't quite afford that I'm intending to buy next, and I'm not sure if I'm overvaluing warlock's mirror considering I spent 1440 gold for it. I know I want a necromancy book for regeneration at some point as well.

Also there's a randart scalemail for 300~ gold in one of the orc shops, if it doesn't wind up awful and I have spare gold at some point how feasible is casting in scale mail on a tiny 7str kobold?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 26, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

to add onto this, make them a large species that basically hides in plain sight. also decent at earth magic.

too many species are good at Earth Magic, not nearly enough good at Air or Ice

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

piņa colada crab

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Penguin race

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Weeping Wound posted:

too many species are good at Earth Magic, not nearly enough good at Air or Ice

i've always wanted more ice magic species but assumed nothing would be taken note of unless it was a crab

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i've always wanted more ice magic species but assumed nothing would be taken note of unless it was a crab

on this note i've always wanted a yeti race that's large and has aptitudes for ice magic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same but w fur 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like how hellcrawl manages to condense "whoa this is awesome I'm so powerf--whoops I'm dead" into less than five minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tollymain posted:

same but w fur 3

of course

• Locked thread