Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

TheDemon posted:

That's a hilarious comment from Halsey given that he relied upon us to charge in and die for his op.

I mean, we did. Seems reliable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

We've again approached the EUNATO forces and have received an official response.

For once can we please do as we're asked?

Someone want to change their mission plan, or should I literally submit a one line proposal to have everything Ready 5 on the ground, ready to launch if it looks like the bombers will get through?

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Yooper posted:

We've again approached the EUNATO forces and have received an official response.

An American rep for EUNATO? What is this, 1986? :v:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

CourValant posted:

For once can we please do as we're asked?

Someone want to change their mission plan, or should I literally submit a one line proposal to have everything Ready 5 on the ground, ready to launch if it looks like the bombers will get through?

Hear hear. If NATO wants us to stay out, we should stay out.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
I have little confidence in them, but if they get their rear end kicked, there's money in it for us. Lets wait and see.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
You know, we can choose to interpret Krum's message as "yeah those planes aren't destroyed yet, merely grounded, but if they were to be wiped out for good that's worthwhile of payment".

Otherwise he's paying us to have all the initiative and autonomy of a garden gnome.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

bibliosabreur posted:

You know, we can choose to interpret Krum's message as "yeah those planes aren't destroyed yet, merely grounded, but if they were to be wiped out for good that's worthwhile of payment".

Otherwise he's paying us to have all the initiative and autonomy of a garden gnome.

I think this is the intended interpretation. It might be meant as a "pinata" that we can thwack for cash, at the cost of potentially weakening our main strike.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
If I were Krum Kozlek I'd try to get the Hired Goons to do one more mission to get paid for our base defense.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Krum Kozlek, our employer with Arsenal, is reviewing our request for payment about taking out Sjenica aircraft. He didn't say no, but his tone was basically, "Why pay for the cow, when I get the milk for free?"

Schmohz is not sure what the gently caress is going on.

I'd suggest we tell EUNATO the following:

Two events are ongoing:

1) Humanitarian situation at Gjader. Large numbers of locals sheltering on base and nearby. Raid by YUGO and ROMARM Fulcrums and Backfires from Northern Adriatic imminent If we are bombed, hundreds of civilians will die. Hired Goons and EUNATO are morally obligated to prevent that outcome.

We encourage you to force down or destroy the raid. If not, we have a duty to protect our lives and the lives of Albanian citizens.

2) Ongoing search-and-rescue for Dutch mariners from 3 sunken Dutch contractor vessels.

Tankers are airborne and moving south with evacuees on board.

Argus AEW will be airborne to coordinate S&R operations.

Prowler will be airborne to search for distress signals. In the event of an attack of Gajder, its OECM will be used. OECM will exclusively target MiG-29 and Tu-22M radars.

Fighters may be launched from Gjader Base. Will be exclusively used for defensive operations. Hired Goons aircraft will stay at least 200 nmi away from EUNATO approach lanes at all times.

P.S. Tell Hibbings that Bac says hi. Wanna see those photos of you from the Red Flag afterparty?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 25, 2018

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Two events are ongoing:

1) Humanitarian situation at Gjader. Large numbers of locals sheltering on base and nearby. Hundreds will die if Gjader Base is bombed. If we are bombed, hundreds of civilians will die. Hired Goons and EUNATO are morally obligated to prevent that outcome.

2) Ongoing search-and-rescue for Dutch mariners from 3 sunken Dutch contractor vessels.

Prowler will be airborne to search for distress signals. In the event of an attack of Gajder, its OECM will be used. OECM will exclusively target MiG-29 and Tu-22M radars.

Fighters may be launched from Gjader Base. Will be exclusively used for defensive operations. Hired Goons aircraft will stay at least 200 nmi away from EUNATO approach lanes at all times.

P.S. Tell Hibbings that Bac says hi. Wanna see those photos of you from the Red Flag afterparty?

Yesssss yesssss this pleases me.

In all honesty this is WAY better than what I could ever crap out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bacarruda posted:

Two events are ongoing:

1) Humanitarian situation at Gjader. Large numbers of locals sheltering on base and nearby. Hundreds will die if Gjader Base is bombed. If we are bombed, hundreds of civilians will die. Hired Goons and EUNATO are morally obligated to prevent that outcome.

This

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We have a statement from EUNATO. They have marked our operational boundaries. Should we fly past these boundaries in the next 6 hours we will be fired upon.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I would keep a CAP a little closer than 200 nautical miles.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 25, 2018

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
That's...pretty generous of NATO. I'm guessing Hibbings really didn't want the photos with the llama to get out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pula is fair game, the airport in Serbia looks like it's in the no-fly zone but we can probably get close enough to launch missiles.

Edit: Actually, I'd like some clarification. Does the no fly zone extend like this?

Or like this?

The larger no-fly-zone will force us to use missiles on Sjenica a safe distance away from the boundary. A smaller no-fly-zone will let us bomb it unimpeeded.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Pula is fair game, the airport in Serbia looks like it's in the no-fly zone but we can probably get close enough to launch missiles.

Edit: Actually, I'd like some clarification. Does the no fly zone extend like this?

Or like this?

The larger no-fly-zone will force us to use missiles on Sjenica a safe distance away from the boundary. A smaller no-fly-zone will let us bomb it unimpeeded.

The logo'd, cropped, and digitized powerpoint presentation we received from EUNATO was cut off at that line. So, uh, maybe?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
We don't want to engage in anything unless it will A) Make our life easier, and B) Get us paid.

Cooperate with NATO - sure, to a degree. It means us having to shoot fewer things, plus the potential bonus of they shoot at things which may target us. Sharing of intel can qualify under this. Engaging targets for them? Unless they are direct threats to our won operations, NATO puts us on retainer/payment in a way that does not interferew ith our current contract (we are still under employment/retainer and are thus obligated to keep it up to the best of our ability pending our employer screwing us over, which they have not directly though the escalating situation makes much of our original contract 'questionable') or we get some sort of direct operational or long term benefit.

Also I vote for as much as we sanely can in our immedaite turnaround we get in touch with as many of the local mercenary groups to gague the lay of the land. I bet a lot of them did nto sign up for seizure of the Balkans, so there's the possibility to hve a lot of them exfilating thier forces from the area. This potentially gets us in good with them for the future, more fleeing transports evac'ing gives us more cover and confusion as I'm sure the corps don't wnat to shoot at non-hostiles if they don't have to so they'd hold a lot of fire.. Also possibly if any other merc groups in the area are operating in 'questionable' areas of their retainer this may get them to pull out or ground themselves until thier contracts are updated to reflect current realities on the ground.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Bacarruda posted:

we have a duty to protect our lives and the lives of Albanian citizens.

This sounds like exactly what a dystopian future PMC would say so they can keep blowing poo poo up and getting paid, just saying.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

That No-Fly-Zone looks very well-drawn from our perspective. The area we are immediately concerned with is not covered, so our strike (and their strike) is go. After that, well, assuming the line extends south to serbia, kosovo and so-on, it basically means future contracts in the balkans are nil unless the no-fly-zone either goes away, or we start working for NATO.

No change to existing plans. Keep an eye on NATO's operation, see if it goes well or poorly. After this battle concludes, cease operations in the region pending a new (or revised) contract.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 26, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Chunky Monkey posted:

This sounds like exactly what a dystopian future PMC would say so they can keep blowing poo poo up and getting paid, just saying.

Well duh. We're actively causing the dystopian future!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Another possibility was pointed out in discord. The no-fly zone could be all points south of the red line.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

RandomPauI posted:

Another possibility was pointed out in discord. The no-fly zone could be all points south of the red line.

Unlikely, IMO; NATO is attacking ROMARM/YUGOImport assets in an effort to reinstate the governments of Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, and Romania, so most likely they're going to target everything east of that line.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

"Here is the line you shall not cross. We will leave it up to you to figure out from which side you aren't allowed to cross it."

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

RandomPauI posted:

...Uh...I think that doesn't make any sense combined with the idea of don't fly past those lines. If it was south we couldn't fly past it, because we would be in it.

Outlaw1011
Dec 4, 2017
I know we are a PMC and therefore in the business of making money, but I think that its a bad idea to get on the wrong side of EUNATO. Considering the fact that Russia already hates us, and the US still get along with EUNATO, plus our most important suppliers are in Europe we might not want to burn that bridge. Also if we let EUNATO slam itself against ROMARM and they get destroyed then they are going to need our help, where as if we distract ROMARM and EUNATO cleans house, we could be next for violating the no-fly zone.

Seems like we made the right call with blowing up the runway at Sjenica seeing as how that airfield is most likely inaccessable behind the no fly zone.

TLDR: Stick to our AO, let EUNATO and ROMARM duke it out, but stay in EUNATOs good graces.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

48 Hours notice. The only mission plan up is Bac's. If in 48 hours there are no more it goes into effect.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chunky Monkey posted:

We must secure the existence of our base and a future for man children.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Hexenritter posted:

That could almost be a thread title.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Hexenritter posted:

Don't even joke about this, please.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Hexenritter posted:

oh no not again

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is ok, don't cry. We're not actually the baddies, you two. Plus it's not like we're on a dead gay comedy forum that thrives on defanging bad sh--o wait

Seriously though? Remember where you are and that this is all in light-hearted jest. If you can't deal with a mild play on words then I don't know what to tell you I'm very sorry. Is that better?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I had an idea for a plan but it gives me pause no one's hit us on the ground yet and I couldn't decide whether to throw all our strike assets at the airfield or keep a possibly-useless chunk at home for fending off ROMARM ground assets.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Balkan Shield is a go!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't even joke about this, please.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

oh no not again

Explain? Seems like I'm missing the inside track here?

Yooper posted:

Operation Balkan Shield is a go!

Yeah, as tempted as I was to submit a one-liner plan to hunker down, it didn't add anything to what was already on the table.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CourValant posted:

Explain? Seems like I'm missing the inside track here?

It's a jokey re-write of the racist creedo of white supremacists known as the "14 words." It's uncomfortable to even jokingly associate with that for some of us, even though I'm sure nothing was meant by it.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

glynnenstein posted:

It's a jokey re-write of the racist creedo of white supremacists known as the "14 words." It's uncomfortable to even jokingly associate with that for some of us, even though I'm sure nothing was meant by it.

Gotcha, thanks (didn't realize it was such as live wire).

I know Hex didn't mean anything by it, and yeah, let's just move on.

So, how's everybody liking the new Battletech game so far?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

CourValant posted:

I wish we could switch out those pesky bipedal robots for some good ole fashioned aerospace fighters, take Hayard Gunnes interstellar!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

I want less cinematic mech fight simulator and more megamek with every sourcebook, time period, personality, and planet. With mercs. And aerospace fighters.

And a loving fast forward button. It's so slow.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

I know Hex didn't mean anything by it, and yeah, let's just move on.

It's partly my fault for not hanging out in the hired goon channel much so there are a bunch of folks here who aren't quite as certain of my intentions or whatever as someone such as you whom I've talked a lot more to.

And again, thread friends, let's just all kiss and pretend I didn't genuinely bother some of you. We're all shitposters here. Plus when i made my response i was in the cardiac unit in Peoria with my girlfriend for a week so perhaps my own nerves were a bit raw.

So how bout that battletech? I haven't bought it yet, but want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Yooper posted:

I want less cinematic mech fight simulator and more megamek with every sourcebook, time period, personality, and planet. With mercs. And aerospace fighters.

And a loving fast forward button. It's so slow.

Also the difficulty estimator is a bit wonky. I get that military intel isn't perfect and under/over estimations of enemies are normal, but when my two skull difficulty missions repeatedly end in two and a half lances worth of pirates in heavy mechs stomping my mediums either someone on the Argo is getting fired or Lady Arano doesn't want to pay my bills.