Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

odiv posted:

I thought sedans had four doors?

These patches are killing me. I play maybe once a week and I have a data cap.

You can set it up so that Steam will only patch the game when you go to play it, which should let you dodge a patch here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Then don't play on the test servers.
Yeah, I don't. There are still fairly frequent patches of a decent size.

flatluigi posted:

You can set it up so that Steam will only patch the game when you go to play it, which should let you dodge a patch here and there
Yep, doing this already, but good advice anyhow. Downloaded a 2gb patch to play one round the other night. Whee.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Oh good another 7.62 dmr. With even more recoil than the existing one that has comedy-level recoil.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

These don't sound very attractive to me, particularly the thumb grip. Horizontal recoil sucks because it's random so you can't control it. Vertical recoil is easy to manage by pulling down. (Well, I say "easy"...)

Would anyone here use these new grips?

Then don't play on the test servers.

Unless the tuning is really good (like it completely blasts vertical recoil away and doesn't do much to horizontal) then I'll probably skip it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they ever fix vertical and horizontal sensitivity not being the same?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HATECUBE posted:

in the last 3 games I've played solo, I've gotten two l3 helmets, they didn't make a goddamn difference. I didn't check the environment, moved too far out of cover and gave away my positron respectively.

aparently I should have won 2 of those for getting op drops. I think the mistake erasing force field on the l3 helmet is bugged

the l3 helmet will never stop a headshot on you, but it will always stop headshots you try to make

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Groovelord Neato posted:

did they ever fix vertical and horizontal sensitivity not being the same?

According to the patch notes the vertical sensitivity will now be configurable so- kind of

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Also, make sure to tell Choco his wish has been (sort of) granted and fall damage no longer affects you from a grenade. Although they did increase grenade damage so...
One more finger on the monkey's paw closes...

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Eh I have had plenty of games where a L3 helmet saved me and I have definitely had a game where my opponent having a L3 helmet let him shrug off a headshot and win. I can see how they would want to reduce its effectiveness but also this game is all about randomness and making due with what you find so I am not really a big fan of changes like that.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Having a (small) visual indication that your opponent (probably) has a crate gun if they have a l3 helmet is a small boon, I guess? Silver lining at least.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

can't wait to walk around slam firing the pump shotgun

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Having a (small) visual indication that your opponent (probably) has a crate gun if they have a l3 helmet is a small boon, I guess? Silver lining at least.

ooh that's a good point. I like that

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

watching a (test server) stream, the pan has a bullseye on it now?? or is that a skin I missed or something

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nfcknblvbl posted:

"Chambering a new round in certain weapons (M24, Kar98k, S1897, etc.) no longer limits you to walking speed while aiming down sights."

That's going to be very powerful.

If I can run while aiming my solid gold sawed-off? Oh ho baby

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a spreadsheet that explains the new shots to kill because of the damage changes?

Dropping the 5.56 AR damage by 1 and increasing mini-15 by 1 means... ?!?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I understand the logic behind changing the damage of weapons but wouldn’t it be better to adjust damage fall off at distance and bullet velocity?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Old Binsby posted:

watching a (test server) stream, the pan has a bullseye on it now?? or is that a skin I missed or something

it's a guaranteed skin from a 5000 bp crate

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

cougar cub posted:

Is there a spreadsheet that explains the new shots to kill because of the damage changes?

I think damage is expressed in hitpoints? Don't know to what body part and whether that assumes a vest or anything.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

cougar cub posted:

Every since the ballstics change, there has been a more pronounced damage drop off, but no indication of where those drop offs for velocity and damage will be. So the only thing that chart would give you is point blank ranges, which is fairly useless. I guess you will just have to stop being a spreadsheet warrior and learn to shoot.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I understand the logic behind changing the damage of weapons but wouldn’t it be better to adjust damage fall off at distance and bullet velocity?

Likely not, they are already adjusting recoil and probably wanted to avoid also touching bullet velocity since it has an enormous impact on how it feels to shoot at a target 2-400 yards away.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Does the test client let you play on EU this time?
Previously it was often only NA an AS.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Every since the ballstics change, there has been a more pronounced damage drop off, but no indication of where those drop offs for velocity and damage will be. So the only thing that chart would give you is point blank ranges, which is fairly useless. I guess you will just have to stop being a spreadsheet warrior and learn to shoot.

:allears:

vvvvvvvvv - thanks!

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 26, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

cougar cub posted:

Maybe this is what you are looking for? A view of mine/choco's made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cn6iqu5OgHd7eUddIjbSYbztJYrNWVBSHv_YlROFBlQ/edit?usp=sharing

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Drop-off should be decreased. I managed to hit someone from 1km+ with a VSS and it did hardly any damage. :colbert:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Does the test client let you play on EU this time?
Previously it was often only NA an AS.

Oh no. NA/AS only this time, too. I'll never get into a game...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I always figured damage drop-off was a relic of hitscan days. Anyone have a good line of reasoning for why devs still include it in games with real ballistics like this one?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Drop-off should be decreased. I managed to hit someone from 1km+ with a VSS and it did hardly any damage. :colbert:

VSS has no damage drop off. :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Oh, well okay then.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
What does this mean?

quote:

Restricted big scopes (8x and up) for use with all ARs
Restricted indicates a decrease... but ‘with all’ is ‘all’... :confused:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I think they meant, "from."

As written, big scopes are AR-only.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

I always figured damage drop-off was a relic of hitscan days. Anyone have a good line of reasoning for why devs still include it in games with real ballistics like this one?
I have never noticed this effect but from a realism perspective some damage dropoff sounds justified. irl over the course of its path a bullet is slowed down (by wind resistance for instance) resulting in a lower velocity near the end of its maximum range. Lower velocity = lower impact damage. A cursory google shows this range is measured in kilometers for sniper/assault rifles, it should not be a significant factor in most situations. Is it??

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

For the distances you shoot in PUBG, not really at all. Maybe for like 9mm but still. If you get shot by a 7.62x39 or 5.56 round from 500m away, its still going to cause a lot of damage and be very painful.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The amount the damage changes is not much, but it can still be significant. For example, prior to these most recent nerfs, 5.56 ARs would kill people with no helmet in one shot at under 80m, but past 80m would only do 99 damage. There's several other examples where just a shift of one or two damage is all it took to add an extra bullet to kill.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Which again is why damage charts are ok but don’t tell you the whole story. It’s better to just try to get better at shooting people til they die rather than waste your time memorizing stuff that’s subject to change anyway.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

No one is saying charts tell the whole story - it’s simply a quick way to get a snapshot of what the patch did. Jesus you’re a condescending douche.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

He is right though, the tiny amount of damage isn't going to make a difference when 99% of the time, people miss kills because they cant even land shots.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just want post-match individualized damage reports identical to CS.

You hit Jimmy 3 times for 84 damage.
You hit Beth 1 time for 10 damage.
You hit Tom 4 times for 102 damage. -DBNO
You hit Richard 1 time for 150 damage. - Kill

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

IRL, there's a pretty significant drop off in joules of force from muzzle energy when shooting at range; rarely enough that a 5.56 is going to bounce off of you, but there are documented changes in kevlar/ceramic plate protectiveness, angle of shot, projectile stability, and wounding potential (some rounds are designed to keyhole or break apart on impact to best rend flesh).

For a game like pubg, it makes sense to abstract all of the ballistics science into a simple damage drop-off. Makes sense for certain weapons to be more resistant or less resistant to drop-off based on their role. If anything, I think ARs should have a slightly higher drop-off than it does currently, but it seems like they've already made some choices about the problem of the AR's universal effectiveness.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hockles posted:

I just want post-match individualized damage reports identical to CS.

You hit Jimmy 3 times for 84 damage.
You hit Beth 1 time for 10 damage.
You hit Tom 4 times for 102 damage. -DBNO
You hit Richard 1 time for 150 damage. - Kill

i want this also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i want this also

even just the nr of hits you/other players landed when someone drops would be cool