Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

OutOfPrint posted:

If there has been a drop, I'd pin it to switching to unleaded gas, first. Adding lead to gasoline lead to entire generations of people with mild brain damage which caused violent impulses, among other things.

More likely, though, there hasn't been a drop in the amount of serial killers and rapists. It's just reported less. Back in the 70's, serial killers were the new hotness in the media. Now, they're kind of passé. You'll hear about them on local news, but the crimes need to be incredibly hosed up and prolific to make it to national news.

There was also easier access to abortions and birth control which is often correlated with lower crime rates. There are lots of arguments and studies both ways on that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I legit wonder how many get caught nowadays because of their DNA being in the system from previous convictions. That is, they would have been a serial killer before that particular advancement, or who were caught as they were escalating, but before their first murder. At least for the "disorganized" type anyways.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

glad she is dead posted:

Possibly better tech has helped stop them as well - CCTV, DNA databases etc mean that potential serial killers might get caught on their first victim.
OTOH, how many of them are getting better and not getting caught, because everyone knows about CSI tech now and they take steps to conceal their traces?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's always going to be plenty of serial killers who are not caught because even with all the technology it's just extremely difficult to link crimes together and find a suspect when the victims have no personal connection at all to the perpetrator. That's the part that took criminologists so long to clue in on in the first place, this idea that just because someone kills a person, that doesn't mean they had some sort of personal animus towards that person in particular. Traditional criminology theory was of course always focused on the more standard motives like jealousy or profit.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

There's always going to be plenty of serial killers who are not caught because even with all the technology it's just extremely difficult to link crimes together and find a suspect when the victims have no personal connection at all to the perpetrator. That's the part that took criminologists so long to clue in on in the first place, this idea that just because someone kills a person, that doesn't mean they had some sort of personal animus towards that person in particular. Traditional criminology theory was of course always focused on the more standard motives like jealousy or profit.

EAR/ONS is known as that because it took awhile to realize it was the same guy. And they've only now confirmed he did the Vidalia break ins, though that was theorized to be him for awhile. And don't forget women serial killers, who iirc tend to be more able to change up their MO to avoid being caught.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Araenna posted:

EAR/ONS is known as that because it took awhile to realize it was the same guy. And they've only now confirmed he did the Vidalia break ins, though that was theorized to be him for awhile. And don't forget women serial killers, who iirc tend to be more able to change up their MO to avoid being caught.

Is that true? The only female serial killers I can think of off the top of my head are Wuornos, Belle Gunness, and that one woman from the family that ran the Inn and killed a bunch of people. All of them just sort of did what they did till they were caught or ran away.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Blanche Taylor Moore certainly stuck to an MO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanche_Taylor_Moore

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As hard as it is to study male serial killers in any scientific way(it's all basically still just individual case studies), it's even harder for female killers because of how few we've seen comparatively. So the patterns that we might notice in the cases we do know about can't really be assumed to be anything other than coincidence.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Women are less likely to be caught, as well, since they tend to use subtler methods than leaving a naked corpse in the woods.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Here's an unnerving one. This must be the week for solving decades-old cases. Hope the trend continues.

Disappearance of two Okla. girls stumped police for 18 years. Then they learned about the Polaroids.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.99b7479baa1b

quote:

On Dec. 30, 1999, Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible vanished from the scene of a double murder and arson in rural Oklahoma, sparking a hunt stretching to Mexico and Canada.

After years of false starts and small gains, on Monday investigators announced they had finally identified three men in connection with the abduction and death of Freeman and Bible.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MightyJoe36 posted:

Here's an unnerving one. This must be the week for solving decades-old cases. Hope the trend continues.

Disappearance of two Okla. girls stumped police for 18 years. Then they learned about the Polaroids.

Holy poo poo. :smith:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

That 2 of them died before they could be held accountable for this is the ultimate kick in the nuts. What an awful story.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Oh, also, Bill Cosby is going to die in prison, which is a happy ending to a horrible saga.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, and just in case you still had some sliver of pity for him because you bought into the confused old man act, he went ahead and yelled at the DA during his sentencing. He's all there, and all terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Yeah, and just in case you still had some sliver of pity for him because you bought into the confused old man act, he went ahead and yelled at the DA during his sentencing. He's all there, and all terrible.

Not only that, but he specifically lost his cool right at the moment when the DA brought up to the judge that he's a flight risk(he owns a private plane), and, therefore should not be allowed bail while waiting for sentencing. I think he had it in the back of his mind that even if convicted he could just hop in the plane and go to Belize or wherever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ariong posted:

Well, he yelled at the DA when the DA wanted bail revoked pending sentencing because "He probably has a plane," and Cosby said "He doesn't have a plane, you rear end in a top hat." I mean, if you did buy into the confused old man act that's not a yell that's going to change your mind.

http://www.wwltv.com/article/news/investigations/eaten-alive-woman-known-for-beauty-suffers-horrific-death-at-nursing-home/546023226?i

quote:

An 11Alive investigation uncovered a Georgia nursing home resident died from a scabies infestation. A forensic pathologist who reviewed the case estimates millions of parasitic mites essentially ate her alive over several months or possibly years.

According to a pending lawsuit filed by the family, 93-year-old Rebecca Zeni died in 2015 from scabies at the facility. The autopsy report shows the cause of death as “septicemia due to crusted scabies.” State health officials were notified about a scabies outbreak at the nursing home multiple times, but did not inspect the LaFayette, Ga. facility.

Mites ate her limbs to the point she was clearly gangrenous.

quote:

Chance claims staff were told not to touch Zeni’s hand. “There was a conversation at this nursing home with a healthcare provider about being careful about touching Ms. Zeni’s hand for fear that it might fall off her body,” claims Chance in an interview.

11Alive News asked forensic pathologist Dr. Kris Sperry to review Zeni’s autopsy report. He’s the former chief medical examiner at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Sperry says he’s personally conducted more than 6,000 autopsies and has supervised more than 80,000 others. “This is one of the most horrendous things I’ve ever seen in my career as a forensic pathologist,” said Sperry about Zeni’s autopsy report.

Sperry estimates hundreds of millions of mites were living inside Zeni at the time of her death. He doesn’t think it’s an exaggeration to assume she was essentially eaten alive and that she likely died a painful death.

“Having seen what I’ve seen with Ms. Zeni, I think that is frankly a good characterization,” said Sperry. “I would seriously consider calling this a homicide by neglect.”

According to a response to the lawsuit, Pruitt attorneys denied all of the claims outlined in Zeni’s lawsuit, writing: “[Pruitt Health] denies that it is a medical or healthcare provider and it, therefore, owed no legal duty to Plaintiff or Ms. Rebecca Zeni for which it could be held liable in this litigation.”

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

There is not a big enough :stare: for this. Holy poo poo, I thought the infamous elise the great story was bad, this is somehow worse.
Plus pictures :gonk:

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that true? The only female serial killers I can think of off the top of my head are Wuornos, Belle Gunness, and that one woman from the family that ran the Inn and killed a bunch of people. All of them just sort of did what they did till they were caught or ran away.

TBH I know I've heard it several times but I'm not sure I ever really looked into it myself. Some casual googling makes it look like even if it was a thing people said, it's outdated information, because of how few female serial killers we are aware of, and how for years people denied that they even existed. I'd think, though, that since it seems like there's more who do it for things like financial gain compared to their male counterparts, and also less of a sexual bent in general, that it's at least POSSIBLE that they are better at changing their MO. Of course, when it comes down to it, the ones we catch tend to be the ones with a specific MO or signature of some sort, since it's much easier to link the murders together. So we probably don't really have a good idea about serial killers in general, just the ones we catch (and know are serial killers, since I'm sure there are those out there that get arrested and tried for murder without anyone realizing that there are more victims out there).

ETA: Sorry for repeating what seems to be bull poo poo without actually making sure it was true.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

e; disregard, it was an old tweet and EAR's name/pic was already posted earlier

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Apr 26, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OutOfPrint posted:

If there has been a drop, I'd pin it to switching to unleaded gas, first. Adding lead to gasoline lead to entire generations of people with mild brain damage which caused violent impulses, among other things.

More likely, though, there hasn't been a drop in the amount of serial killers and rapists. It's just reported less. Back in the 70's, serial killers were the new hotness in the media. Now, they're kind of passé. You'll hear about them on local news, but the crimes need to be incredibly hosed up and prolific to make it to national news.

eh I dunno, we have a potential one an hour away from me that has made national headlines. My wife's cousin was a teacher of the newest possible victim.

The fact that the Sherriff's Department there is notoriously corrupt ain't helping either.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I know we’re on serial killer chat right now so sorry for dredging up cult chat again, but I just listened to the LPotL episode on NXIVM and they mentioned that potential employees went to a five week “training session” where they a) served only vegetarian meals, and b) had cell phone signal blockers.

Now that latter thing is a p obvious cult red flag but the vegetarian thing is a classic but not very well known cult move. If you are in a group that insists you eat a vegetarian diet - unless it is an explicitly vegetarian group and you’re exchanging recipes - be real, real careful. That’s step one in making someone’s brain nice and malleable.

(also in this episode they made fun of UCB a lot which as a former Groundling student I find pretty funny)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Depressio111117 posted:

I know we’re on serial killer chat right now so sorry for dredging up cult chat again, but I just listened to the LPotL episode on NXIVM and they mentioned that potential employees went to a five week “training session” where they a) served only vegetarian meals, and b) had cell phone signal blockers.

Now that latter thing is a p obvious cult red flag but the vegetarian thing is a classic but not very well known cult move. If you are in a group that insists you eat a vegetarian diet - unless it is an explicitly vegetarian group and you’re exchanging recipes - be real, real careful. That’s step one in making someone’s brain nice and malleable.

(also in this episode they made fun of UCB a lot which as a former Groundling student I find pretty funny)
Right, isn't that because it's real easy to be nutritionally deficient on a vegetarian diet? By coaching it as a 'vegetarian diet' thing instead of 'hey this approved menu is designed to starve you' thing it tricks people into dumbing themselves down and not having the energy to resist later.

Obviously vegetarian diets can be properly maintained and healthy but with the cult thing it's using vegetarian as a smokescreen for the real purpose of malnutrition, right?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's the lack of protein in vegetarian diets. It's much harder to get protein without meat unless you plan very carefully and use supplements sometimes. Lack of protein turns your brain to mush so cults love it

E: so yeah a vegetarian diet in those cases is to sound spiritual while hiding the fact you're getting low protein

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aum Shinrikyo did the same thing. (Along with staggering amounts of LSD)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sleep and food depravation are real easy way to get people in a receptive state.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Sleep and food depravation are real easy way to get people in a receptive state.

There's a reason those are both considered torture.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43928277

Peru child sacrifice discovery may be largest in history

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If you want to be unnerved, set up a google alert on human sacrifice and watch the surprisingly high reports of modern instances roll in weekly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FrozenVent posted:

but enough about high school

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

It's the lack of protein in vegetarian diets. It's much harder to get protein without meat unless you plan very carefully and use supplements sometimes. Lack of protein turns your brain to mush so cults love it

E: so yeah a vegetarian diet in those cases is to sound spiritual while hiding the fact you're getting low protein

Are you sure you guys aren't thinking of vegan diets? Vegetarians can eat dairy - they don't really need supplements and careful planning to stay healthy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody who has even googled the word "vegetarian" thinks the problem with the diet is a lack of protein. Vegetarians get more than enough protein but do implicitly supplement vitamin b12 through fortified bread and milks.

xtal has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Apr 27, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

xtal posted:

Nobody who has even googled the word "vegetarian" thinks the problem with the diet is a lack of protein. Vegetarians get more than enough protein but do implicitly supplement vitamin b12 through fortified bread and milks.

Vegetarians don't need to take B12 - you're thinking of vegans.

Source - https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetarianhealth/Pages/Vegetarianhealthqanda.aspx

quote:

Vitamin B12 is only found naturally in foods from animal sources, so sources for vegans are limited and a vitamin B12 supplement may be needed. If you eat dairy products and eggs, you probably get enough.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

The point is not that normal vegetarians can’t get necessary nutrients in their diet, it’s that a lot of cults use protein deprivation as a means of making people less mentally sharp and it’s often disguised as a vegetarian diet which is “healthier” or “more spiritual” or whatever the cult’s personal flavor is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Depressio111117 posted:

The point is not that normal vegetarians can’t get necessary nutrients in their diet, it’s that a lot of cults use protein deprivation as a means of making people less mentally sharp and it’s often disguised as a vegetarian diet which is “healthier” or “more spiritual” or whatever the cult’s personal flavor is.

This is a good point and way better than what I was talking about.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43928318

It's no cult or serial killer but boy is it unnerving

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok because the proponents have surely already agreed to the procedure themselves

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

8 Ball posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43928318

It's no cult or serial killer but boy is it unnerving

Oh god we’re only 10 years away from old rich fuckers transferring their brains to younger bodies so they can live forever aren’t we? Like Get Out but not in secret- totally out in the open. The baby boomers will NEVER stop loving us.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey if we can clone people we can at least have our own bodies with our old-rear end brains. Seems like a sweet deal to me.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Science can figure this out but I still can’t drink ice water without horrible tooth pain.

I hate this lousy reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Loomer posted:

If you want to be unnerved, set up a google alert on human sacrifice and watch the surprisingly high reports of modern instances roll in weekly.

Yeah... I'm not going to do that but if you have any links i'll give them a read