Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

This is the worst post anybody has ever made in here. Good job.

I know when someone says "CUV", i immediately think Excursion, and write off the whole idea.

For the vast majority of people there isn't a CUV or SUV that wouldn't do a better job transporting them and their stuff than a similar car. Tell me I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

For the vast majority of people there isn't a CUV or SUV that wouldn't do a better job transporting them and their stuff than a similar car. Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

You're wrong.

Explain why I, generic American commuter, would be better off driving an Escape than a Focus, or a RAV4 than a Corolla.

edit: Holy poo poo, once the cars go away, the cheapest vehicle in Ford's lineup will be $20k starting (compared with a little over $14k currently)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 26, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Because people get weirdly defensive when you question their truck I guess. I understand why people like them so much but that they are so cookie cutter is my issue.

Even free filing cabinet Powershift drives around wholly radically awesome 70s monster boat despite it being worse across the board to pretty much anything else.

It might be that people don't want CUVs and SUVs and pickups because everyone else wants them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So I think we've established that the best vehicle would be something like:

TTV6 (MPG++)
RWD w/ LSD (Sporty/burnouts)
Lowered (Sporty/easy on knees)
Towing Capacity (haul the Miata)
6.5' bed (haul crap)
Rad Stickers (HP++)

I'm down.

They couldn’t even fit it in the space at some suburban hotel, almost certainly a non-starter in an urbanized area.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Explain why I, generic American commuter, would be better off driving an Escape than a Focus, or a RAV4 than a Corolla.

Because it's easier to get into and out of, as you sit straight into it instead of climbing down into it. The load floor at a natural height for putting things in or taking them out. A taller seat provides a more natural, more upright seating position, and reduces the effects of tight seat spacing. More suspension travel, more sidewall and a larger diameter tire makes it less susceptible to the effects of road damage and generally more comfortable.

Here is the car and CUV version of the same vehicle. Which one is the unstable one with truck brakes and suspension?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CornHolio posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, once the cars go away, the cheapest vehicle in Ford's lineup will be $20k starting (compared with a little over $14k currently)

* Hatches are better than trunks.
* CUVs are easier to get into.
* Ground clearance + sidewall is better on lovely roads
* More greenhouse and ability to see out of the car due to side impact regulations (and styling trends, maybe?) making windows on cars too drat small.
* Gas mileage on small CUVs is close enough to cars.
* The average America commuter doesn't give a poo poo about driving dynamics, modern traction control and driving assists mean the rollover thing isn't an issue.
* Manufacturers put better poo poo in their CUVs most of the time.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

TTV6 (MPG++)
RWD w/ LSD (Sporty/burnouts)
Lowered (Sporty/easy on knees)
Towing Capacity (haul the Miata)
6.5' bed (haul crap)
Rad Stickers (HP++)

I'm down.

Pictured: partway in to the disabled because it's still too fuckin' big for parking spaces.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But like ya gotta haul stuff man, it's just American to constantly be moving large, bulky objects around!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am posting that I want a 2.0T Accord with six speed. It is not a truck, even Honda trucks are not trucks. Buy a honda if you hate Trucks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

so for a guy who's going to be buying a new car in the next year or two, which one should i get? my commute is 35miles one way

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I am posting that I want a 2.0T Accord with six speed. It is not a truck, even Honda trucks are not trucks. Buy a honda if you hate Trucks.

Okay, but how angry are you that other people don't want a 2.0T Accord with a six speed?

FCKGW posted:

so for a guy who's going to be buying a new car in the next year or two, which one should i get? my commute is 35miles one way

Nissan leaf, Chevy Bolt, or Tesla Model 3.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

Because it's easier to get into and out of, as you sit straight into it instead of climbing down into it. The load floor at a natural height for putting things in or taking them out. A taller seat provides a more natural, more upright seating position, and reduces the effects of tight seat spacing. More suspension travel, more sidewall and a larger diameter tire makes it less susceptible to the effects of road damage and generally more comfortable.

Here is the car and CUV version of the same vehicle. Which one is the unstable one with truck brakes and suspension?

Sounds pretty boring the imho, do you have something with a BMW badge?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

How very dare you. Those are the Alfa Stelvio and Giulia 2.0T AWD, brimming with soul and passion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You see best vehicle, I see a jackass that can't park within the lines and obstructed the sidewalk while still not fitting in the space.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KakerMix posted:

A BMW badge, you say? Does this have enough of them for your liking?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

How very dare you. Those are the Alfa Stelvio and Giulia 2.0T AWD, brimming with soul and passion.

Haven’t driven the AWD Giulia, but have spent a lot of time in the Stelvio and the RWD 2L Giulia, and the Giulia is a much better driver’s car.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Even free filing cabinet Powershift drives around wholly radically awesome 70s monster boat despite it being worse across the board to pretty much anything else.

The modern crew cab truck is the spiritual successor to those classic American land yachts.

Elephanthead posted:

The Ridgeline would sell more if the front-end didn’t look so lame.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want a three row, 6 seat, plug in hybrid Ridgeline with Adaptive cruise and lane assist.

That's my ugly, terrible, absolutely perfect vehicle.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bull3964 posted:

You see best vehicle, I see a jackass that can't park within the lines and obstructed the sidewalk while still not fitting in the space.

I will not deny that the guy that owns this specific example can't park for poo poo.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Imagine being born this millenium and knowing only shite like this as cars. No wonder young people have stopped buying them

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

I'll take the one that's 10 inches shorter and 350 pounds lighter.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Guinness posted:

A BMW badge, you say? Does this have enough of them for your liking?

There goes BMW again, breaking all the rules!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I will not deny that the guy that owns this specific example can't park for poo poo.

The problem is, you CAN'T park right in most places, at least not around here. I just got back from your normal every day suburban grocery store. There was an f150 parked where the front bumper extended just a little beyond the lines while the bed was still a good two feet into the space behind it. There was no possibility of parking that thing in the lot and not either take up two spaces or extend into the lanes and obstruct traffic.

It's not like I live in a very urban area either. Southwestern PA isn't exactly NYC. Maybe in Texas where you have huge expanses of flat land to make massive parking lots, you can accommodate something like this, but not anywhere around here.

That's the biggest reason why my dad only spent a year with a Silverado. He wanted a truck so bad. Kids are all grown up, debt is paid off, he came into a little money, time to live the dream. Only the dream sucked because he never wanted to drive anywhere (taking my mom's hatchback instead) because it was such a PITA to park. I think he had it for all of 18 months before he traded it in on a Traverse.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Why on Earth a Traverse?

And I don't get the CUV pro of easier to get into. How loving lazy have we become? Sure, if you're huge or oddly shaped, but most people should have zero issue getting into a normal sedan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sits on Pilster posted:

Why on Earth a Traverse?

And I don't get the CUV pro of easier to get into. How loving lazy have we become? Sure, if you're huge or oddly shaped, but most people should have zero issue getting into a normal sedan.

The average American's knees reflect the average American road.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sits on Pilster posted:

Why on Earth a Traverse?

Because he's terminally a GM guy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Powershift posted:

Nissan leaf, Chevy Bolt, or Tesla Model 3.

These are still all novelty vehicles, especially the lol Tesla

The answer to buddy's commute question is a Prius of some sort, plug-in especially if he lives in a region with clean and cheap electricity.

But the real real answer is set a budget and get whatever you like most that fits within your budget, life is short

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

These are still all novelty vehicles, especially the lol Tesla

The answer to buddy's commute question is a Prius of some sort, plug-in especially if he lives in a region with clean and cheap electricity.

But the real real answer is set a budget and get whatever you like most that fits within your budget, life is short

I’m in SoCal and my electricity rates go up to 30c/kWh, however I do have solar and plugin-in at work.

I’m really not into the Prius. I’ll probably just stick with the Fit or Mazda3 hatch I’ve been looking at. Maybe a CX-3

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really wouldn't mind a CUV too much if someone would actually make one with an exciting drivetrain. If the hatch is giving way to the CUV then the hot CUV needs to be a thing and the market is void of it right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

I’m in SoCal and my electricity rates go up to 30c/kWh, however I do have solar and plugin-in at work.

I’m really not into the Prius. I’ll probably just stick with the Fit or Mazda3 hatch I’ve been looking at. Maybe a CX-3

Those are good choices, especially the Mazda 3 (see my avatar). I haven't checked out a modern Fit but in the original one they had lots of nifty features to make it practical. I didn't like the way the giant dash looked but oh well. It's a small car with a lot of utility.

edit: Also there is an actual car recommendation thread in the Ask / Tell forum.

bull3964 posted:

I really wouldn't mind a CUV too much if someone would actually make one with an exciting drivetrain. If the hatch is giving way to the CUV then the hot CUV needs to be a thing and the market is void of it right now.

AMG GLA? It even has a big wing, haha. I really didn't like the rear visibility and headroom in the base model I rented though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sits on Pilster posted:

Why on Earth a Traverse?

The average American new car buyer is 69 years old and 420 pounds.

Young people don't buy new vehicles or eat 4300 calories worth of appetizers at Applebees because they're lazy and feckless and don't believe in supporting the economy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charles posted:

Those are good choices, especially the Mazda 3 (see my avatar). I haven't checked out a modern Fit but in the original one they had lots of nifty features to make it practical. I didn't like the way the giant dash looked but oh well. It's a small car with a lot of utility.

edit: Also there is an actual car recommendation thread in the Ask / Tell forum.

AMG GLA? It even has a big wing, haha. I really didn't like the rear visibility and headroom in the base model I rented though.

This. You can get one fitted with all the go fast bits and Android auto and the better leather for ~800/month on a lease. It's tempting.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I kind of want a Ridgeline, they're really a brilliant product.

Maybe after they refresh the front end

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Powershift posted:

The average American new car buyer is 69 years old and 420 pounds.

Young people don't buy new vehicles or eat 4300 calories worth of appetizers at Applebees because they're lazy and feckless and don't believe in supporting the economy.

I mean, the exaggeration is humorous but it kind of reinforces my point. Maybe in a morbidly obese, Wall-E-esque future, the "so I don't have to bend my legs as much" argument will be valid but I don't think we're there yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sits on Pilster posted:

I mean, the exaggeration is humorous but it kind of reinforces my point. Maybe in a morbidly obese, Wall-E-esque future, the "so I don't have to bend my legs as much" argument will be valid but I don't think we're there yet.

Are you sure? because ford only sells one car without a lift kit now.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Even the seating position in newer mustangs is pretty tall, more like an e46 or similar sedan.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
The problem I have with CUVs are they are terribly uncool. I can’t even see hipsters driving a Buick Whateverthefuck ironically 10 years from now like say a brown Volvo station wagon.

My suggestion is someone make a rallyfighter CUV with 2 trims, a bonkers stripped out version, and a hot version with leather/nice interior and I’d be tempted as hell.

The AMG GLA is almost there, but a bit too high priced IMO. If Subaru made something like that, they wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dk2m posted:

The problem I have with CUVs are they are terribly uncool. I can’t even see hipsters driving a Buick Whateverthefuck ironically 10 years from now like say a brown Volvo station wagon.

CUVs can become cool but there has to be something that replaces it. Wagons are cool now because they were replaced by minivans. Minivans are becoming cool again because CUVs replaced them. If/when something replaces CUVs then we can wrap back around and have cool CUV ownership.