Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

graynull posted:

IIRC the mod author of one of the biggest Starbound mods (Frackin' Universe) is also a frothing psychopath. I believe he lifted some assets from a goon-made mod, then when was asked to either remove them or give credit he was screenshotted on discord talking about making up false pedophilia claims against said goon. Tiny men with tiny amounts of power and literally nothing else in their lives.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey be fair, maybe the goon whose stuff was stolen was Aatrek :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ms Adequate posted:

Hey be fair, maybe the goon whose stuff was stolen was Aatrek :v:

:boom:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i've literally just seen this kind of insane bullshit in Bethesda games and Minecraft. every single other community I've seen has been sane about this.

Yeah there's stuff like Call of Chernobyl that was literally built with the intention of being a foundation for other mods to build on top of. And Doom was a classic of shareware.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Had to go find the receipts to make sure I was not mistaken. I was not.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i've literally just seen this kind of insane bullshit in Bethesda games and Minecraft. every single other community I've seen has been sane about this.
Fifteen'ish years the Bethesda modding community was way less crazy about this sort of thing. You'd have the idiots blabbering about their precious copyright even back then, but they generally got pushed away because no one wanted to deal with that sort of drama and everyone agreed that open modding was the best way to about things.
I want to blame the nexus for given the idiots a platform and bending over backwards to appease them, which normalized that poo poo. To the point where I've seen it start to seep into various other modding communities.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 26, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are there any other good follower mods other than Inigo for SE?

Or is it just weird dude's waifus all the way down? Cause that's what it looks like on the Nexus, or are some of those actually okay and I'm just jumping to conclusions.

I was going to suggest Sassy Teen Girls, because I had fun with the silly characters and the fact that they all tell you to not get so close/be a creep. But apparently it's no longer on the Nexus?

Randaconda posted:

Aren't basically all mods owned by Bethesda since they use their assets?

IIRC there's specifically a clause about this in the TOU for the CK, or maybe the main game itself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A SimCity 4 modding site, SC4Devotion, once had an admin go into total meltdown over a re-reg to the point where he was wanting to press charges against the culprit for identify theft or making false representation or some drat thing. That community is usually okay, but there are some special boys in there. Plus the whole thing is made weird because the realities of Internet speeds in the early-mid 2000s created a particular habit for distribution of files and even though there is no longer any reason for it, they will go ballistic at anyone who uploads dependency packs and the like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nasgate posted:

IIRC there's specifically a clause about this in the TOU for the CK, or maybe the main game itself.
which probably isn't worth poo poo but don't tell the modders that

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
First things first, we still have a mysterious Training badge that hasn't seen any implementation yet.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nasgate posted:

I was going to suggest Sassy Teen Girls, because I had fun with the silly characters and the fact that they all tell you to not get so close/be a creep. But apparently it's no longer on the Nexus?

I'm sure it was available in the past for SE because I downloaded it and the Adopt Helgi mod so I could let the skeleton teen and ghost daughter hang out and enjoy each others company. I removed it though when I found out that the sassy teens were marriage options D:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rainbow Knight posted:

I'm sure it was available in the past for SE because I downloaded it and the Adopt Helgi mod so I could let the skeleton teen and ghost daughter hang out and enjoy each others company. I removed it though when I found out that the sassy teens were marriage options D:

I too installed it for SE and there's multiple translations still up that link to the original page with is missing. Also I recall the mod specifically marking them as non-marriageable, so maybe you had a companion mod that messed with that? Imo that modder could've done great waifu mods if he wanted, the custom faces actually looked like human faces which is part of why I liked it. That and having a giant redhead smash things.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

which probably isn't worth poo poo but don't tell the modders that

Idk, legally agreeing that you have no ownership of your mods in an official agreement with Bethesda is probably worth a lot in court.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jan posted:

I could always plug my oldrim mod, Discreet Poisoned Perk. The baseline implementation of the poisoned perk makes you charged with a crime even if you reverse pickpocket a poison completely unseen, which completely defeats the purpose. At least this tries to break that crime chain. :v:

Haven't uploaded it to Nexus because :effort:, guess I could revisit it for SSE now that I'm down that rabbit hole again...

I'll be your first download because if anyone needs to get a Fear poison stuck on them for a million hours, its Maven Blackbriar and her little toad son.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nasgate posted:

I too installed it for SE and there's multiple translations still up that link to the original page with is missing. Also I recall the mod specifically marking them as non-marriageable, so maybe you had a companion mod that messed with that? Imo that modder could've done great waifu mods if he wanted, the custom faces actually looked like human faces which is part of why I liked it. That and having a giant redhead smash things.

Sorry compadre, they have dialogue for marriage and everything :(

Though maybe I just downloaded the wrong version of the mod...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nasgate posted:

Idk, legally agreeing that you have no ownership of your mods in an official agreement with Bethesda is probably worth a lot in court.

Until it gets tested in court no one really knows, a bunch of modders start when they're under 18, and you can't enforce illegal clauses in a contract. If I'm not a modder or gamer and don't understand Bethesda's UELA, but am a musician who gives a fan explicit permission to use my song in their mod as long as there's no money involved and I get credit, does Bethesda now own my song?

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I assumed it was the same phenomenon as with fan art. "Original character! Do not steal!" No one is going to steal your lovely character design off your DeviantArt.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd forgotten how stupid the Cidnha mine quest was. Like the railroad of getting thrown in the prison at all. I mean it sorta makes sense if you go there early but Bethesda's seeming allergy to giving you more options due to stuff you've done shows up more in this quest than almost any other.

So in short, are there any mods that fix that whole thing or do I just ignore it?

Also thanks to the magic of mods this is the first time I did the city unlock Thieves Guild stuff, and, those quests are actually fun? Why the gently caress did Bethesda hide them behind so much bullshit. Thieves Guild in Skyrim is such a loving mess.

On the upside the Companions was way better than I remembered, still no options but it all actually flowed and made sense (I mean because it's very simple but hey), kinda curious what the Fighter's Guild equivalent will be in the next TES whenever that is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but with the Companions there is that one very notable moment when you're railroaded into doing a certain thing that a lot of roleplaying types really vehemently don't want to do. So it's just like every other questline in Skyrim that way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'd forgotten how stupid the Cidnha mine quest was. Like the railroad of getting thrown in the prison at all. I mean it sorta makes sense if you go there early but Bethesda's seeming allergy to giving you more options due to stuff you've done shows up more in this quest than almost any other.

So in short, are there any mods that fix that whole thing or do I just ignore it?

guard confronts you
> coc riverwood

you don't really need to go back to Markarth ever, do you?

As far as I know the only mod for that area expands rather than removes it, made by some nerd. which might solve your problems by way of making the mine suck less, but I think your best option is to just ignore it or power through as fast as you possibly can.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 27, 2018

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I think the idea is that once you start progressing through the quest you obviously want to follow where it leads. You don't have anything keeping you from whipping out a spell while you're in the mine and trashing people on your way back to town, so you can derail the whole thing whenever you want. And with the Companions, you can just not drink dirty wolf blood, and the rationale could easily be, "okay so the companions are dorky werewolves so why would I hang out with them in the first place?" You peace out and that's it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I havent ever solved the Markarth quest properly my patience is just too thin to not whip out my spells and shouts in total YOU QUESTION MY POWER wrath.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Companions questline is a "fighter" questline simply because it regularly throws more dudes at you than you can reliably stealth snipe or fireball to death, forcing you to thwack them with your sword. Which is funny because in previous elder scroll games you would've worn your good weapon down to a nub and been forced to improvise.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been exploring Blackreach lately and I'm amazed how big that zone is compared to how little content it has. There's like two things in there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I've been exploring Blackreach lately and I'm amazed how big that zone is compared to how little content it has. There's like two things in there.

Hey now, there are at least thirty dumb red plants in there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's really weird that nobody has made any big Blackreach content/quest mods. It's just a big empty beautiful area, Bethesda already did more than half the hard work for you

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell, you could easily fit a city down there

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's really weird that nobody has made any big Blackreach content/quest mods. It's just a big empty beautiful area, Bethesda already did more than half the hard work for you

The thing as a whole makes me wonder if someone got taken off the project part way through developing it. It contains full dungeon sized buildings without even a chest in them, and even a few terrain resources that I can't remember seeing anywhere else.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

The thing as a whole makes me wonder if someone got taken off the project part way through developing it. It contains full dungeon sized buildings without even a chest in them, and even a few terrain resources that I can't remember seeing anywhere else.

Like most half-completed things, probably either 11/11/11 or having to worry about consoles.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe they were planning on making the Falmer a faction you could actually interact with at some point and abandoned it? As it is you can't even rescue/release their slaves down there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah it sucks because, as it is, Blackreach is crazy, crazy boring. It should be really epic, but instead it's just ... dull.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Hey now, that's a bit harsh. In Blackreach you can... *looks at scribbling on hand* ... yell at ball to hello dragon.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Randaconda posted:

Hell, you could easily fit a city down there

if it's a Skyrim city you could fit 15 of them

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Blackreach covers like a quarter of the overland map I hope they had something in mind when they made it. Otherwise maybe some loner on the design team worked on it for 18 months and the rest were like "yeah, sure, whatever".

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The purpose of Blackreach is that the LAL mage start says you've been doing research in the abandoned alchemist's workshop down there so you have to roleplay that you've suddenly realized this is an insanely lovely idea and run terrified past like a dozen level 20 falmer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Blackreach: Where Skyrim becomes a walking simulator for a few hours.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I didn’t know there was a literal dragon ball down there so I actually missed a good portion of the content (i.e. one enemy to kill).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The actual best Blackreach mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7636

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pack it in folks, no need to make further mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16834

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivXku9qrNY

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dumb obvious question. I have been using NMM for years, want to switch over to MO2, will I need to uninstall all my mods or will MO2 figure it out?

edit: I'm sure MXR is a little played out for you guys but week 241's tentacle rape spell was one of those things really encapsulates half of Bethseda's audience.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PaybackJack posted:

Dumb obvious question. I have been using NMM for years, want to switch over to MO2, will I need to uninstall all my mods or will MO2 figure it out?

uninstall, since MO2 doesn't touch the data folder