Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I beat that guy by hiding behind a tree lobbing the axe into his heart, then ran across the stage when the adds appeared to kill them separately. It took a couple tries because Fafnir's side area is really tough for the level it first becomes available to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Also if you're feeling cheap you can run back into the cave to heal and it won't reset hp, and then you can kill the draugr without the ancient

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GeorgieMordor posted:

Is the Forest Ancient in Fafnir's Storeroom something you're supposed to come back to later? Is retreading past areas a thing in this game? I can't figure out how to sensibly beat this guy now, though I feel like it'll drop some loot I need.

- The firebeam attack is almost unavoidable, and the trees help you as much as hiding behind a toothpick would
- He seems to leave chunks of randomly exploding junk all over the area, which blow up accordingly to sap health
- He spams, so getting close enough to grab one of his chunks I just die anyway in a cluster of fireballs or firebeams
- The brutal R3 attack you get on him takes maybe 10% of his health, tops, which is basically useless considering what effort it takes to get him there
Keep moving as you block; you can block the sideways attack, but the sustained one will break your guard. The majority of the damage is pelting him with you-know-what, even as he goes down.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Overlord K posted:

I look forward to replaying this on a higher difficulty in a few months on a PS4 Pro when I get around to getting one finally. :allears:

I quit playing this until my PS4 Pro arrived and when I start it back up I find out I WAS ON THE LAST drat FIGHT! :argh:

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Also if you're feeling cheap you can run back into the cave to heal and it won't reset hp, and then you can kill the draugr without the ancient

I did it this way. Don't care about cheapness in this instance -- this was a really poorly designed encounter

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Also a later sidequest will send you back into that area if you just want to save it for later.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mimir seems to be enjoying the ride far more then Helios did.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 26, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The ancients in general were a challenge for me, they had that one laser beam attack that as far as I can tell was undodgeable and unblockable unless you could find something to hide behind, and there wasn't always a good place to do that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

The ancients in general were a challenge for me, they had that one laser beam attack that as far as I can tell was undodgeable and unblockable unless you could find something to hide behind, and there wasn't always a good place to do that.

I blocked the laserbeam just fine though, and when I fought an ancient on one of the islands it just gets blocked from the shield. It's those pesky energy balls that need to be dodged.

So far the only gripe I have with the game is "too many troll bosses" who amount to really bad Dark Souls bosses because all you do is circlestrafe around their asses, with occasional distraction Draugrs who pop up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So can we really just ignore loot drops as they'll always just end up in the "missed items" section in the dwarf shop?

Does anybody know what it won't retrieve? Like, obviously the game will keep frozen flame axe upgrades as they're super rare and plot centered, but what about stuff like crafting mats or runic attacks?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
was anyone else worried that kratos’ chisel plan was going to be way more gruesome and he was gonna drop the hammer on the other end of the chisel and slam the entire chisel through the giant’s head?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

GeorgieMordor posted:

Is the Forest Ancient in Fafnir's Storeroom something you're supposed to come back to later? Is retreading past areas a thing in this game? I can't figure out how to sensibly beat this guy now, though I feel like it'll drop some loot I need.

- The firebeam attack is almost unavoidable, and the trees help you as much as hiding behind a toothpick would
- He seems to leave chunks of randomly exploding junk all over the area, which blow up accordingly to sap health
- He spams, so getting close enough to grab one of his chunks I just die anyway in a cluster of fireballs or firebeams
- The brutal R3 attack you get on him takes maybe 10% of his health, tops, which is basically useless considering what effort it takes to get him there

It took me a good few tries even on normal. I just ran around like a headless chicken, took some damage to get an axe into his chest when he fired, then did my best to throw the chunks at him without taking more damage. The Draugr are useful to get more hp back when you kill them. Throw the axe a couple of times when he's in his staggered state, then do the R3 attack. Even so, I only beat it with a tiny sliver of health left, it's been by far the most difficult fight in the game for me so far. Comparing that and then the huge dragon fight, it's ridiculous how little damage the dragon does.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kratos desperately trying to hide that amphora like a father trying to hide a picture of his goth phase from high school

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Does the game "end" when you go home to rest? or do you just keep going?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Over There posted:

Does the game "end" when you go home to rest? or do you just keep going?

There's a scene, then credits, then a post-credits thing that contextualizes letting you continue playing.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

You keep going.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Bardeh posted:

It took me a good few tries even on normal. I just ran around like a headless chicken, took some damage to get an axe into his chest when he fired, then did my best to throw the chunks at him without taking more damage. The Draugr are useful to get more hp back when you kill them. Throw the axe a couple of times when he's in his staggered state, then do the R3 attack. Even so, I only beat it with a tiny sliver of health left, it's been by far the most difficult fight in the game for me so far. Comparing that and then the huge dragon fight, it's ridiculous how little damage the dragon does.

one of the things that annoys me hte most is that thematically, kratos is all over the loving place

like ill get instantly murdered by a zombie but i can also buttfuck a dragon to death with LESS effort

i dont MIND, really, because that's just how the game has to be designed. but it's still weird

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bardeh posted:

The chunks are useless and just get you hit. Stand a little ways in front, charge up a heavy axe throw aimed at his chest. When he opens it up, toss it at his chest, roll left/right to avoid the blast. Recall it, then when he's finishing, toss a heavy axe throw at it again. Repeat, even if he or any other of them do the balls everywhere thing. They're just super easy farming.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's how to do 85% of the battles in the game. Have BOY lightning arrow everything constantly while you're tossing axes. makes the "not get hit" challenge trivial for me since I never get hit anyway unless fighting Valkyries or just smashing up normal mobs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

I cannot imagine going through this game without knowing how to parry. You'd get hosed up so badly. Maybe on Normal difficulty you could possibly do ok but you'd look ridiculous with how often you'd have to flail and roll from everything. On Hard mode you definitely need at least the Parry followup attacks to engage with the enemies they throw at you. Luckily the parry is so goddamn smooth it seems like it can cancel Kratos' attack animations even in the middle, so it's very fluid.

I don't use the parry thing much because I position enemies so that BOY shoots them in the back, which opens them up for me to just wail on them. The exception are Valks and the shiny armored guys where I absolutely have to parry to open them up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
This game desperately needs NG+. Or a randomized, multifloor Diablo style dungeon.

Anything to give you an excuse to come back to the fantastic combat system anytime and fight fun things over and over with a fully upgraded character.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

GeorgieMordor posted:

You can cheese him entirely by standing behind the trees (there is one much bigger tree). You're effectively invincible if you do it properly. When the adds spawn, run towards sindri and you can fight them without the boss molesting you.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

shortspecialbus posted:

Protip for Niflheim:

Open the 2500 chest ASAPractical to get an epic gem that significantly slows the mist meter. Even that gem alone is better than 3 of the legendary ones.

Between that, three pieces of armor and the axe pommel I can do a full clear of the workshop and have about 1/3rd of the meter to spare. You get 10-12k mist per clear.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Lmao

"Years Later" *Boy still the same age*

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
UNWORTHY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't find the dang entrances for the whetstone quest or Deus Ex malachite for the life of me.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Over There posted:

Lmao

"Years Later" *Boy still the same age*

It was just a dream! That's why they look the same age. Also because the devs are lazy maybe??

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe it was literally exactly only two years later so he wouldn’t have changed much anyway. :buddy:

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe it was literally exactly only two years later so he wouldn’t have changed much anyway. :buddy:

Well it could only be 3 years at the most because that's how long Fimbulwinter lasts before Ragnarok!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
VALHALLA!

e: If I ever hear that again I will subconsciously be expecting a kick to the face.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
gmgow is starting to really irritate me

i dont mind boss fights but having adds in the boss fights makes it so much more needlessly painful. this stupid loving fire troll. he's not difficult at all, but i've still died eight times and it's always because of the adds that do splash damage through my shield and turn purple when im poisoned

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My boy is a little poo poo. I want to go back to pushing him off a cliff again.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
he's a good boy bront

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Philthy posted:

My boy is a little poo poo. I want to go back to pushing him off a cliff again.

it gets worse

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Whatever

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I like the thought that Kratos enjoys the snoo-snoo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Over There posted:

I like the thought that Kratos enjoys the snoo-snoo

BOY went over this, just because they're called giants doesn't mean they're huge, it's just the name of the race

which is weird, considering the mountain scene at the end but whatever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say thankyou to whoever keeps changing the thread title because it's fun seeing a different one every time I visit the forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished the main story. What a game. One hell of a sequel hook.

Was it weird that I never found the 5th upgrade tier for the Blades of Chaos? Is that a drop from Muspelheim or something?