Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nerd tribalism is a hell of a thing. There is a lot of silly animosity in BG groups towards FOW and vice versa. How dare Other Game exist when clearly My Game is superior! It is impossible to enjoy both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

Nerd tribalism is a hell of a thing. There is a lot of silly animosity in BG groups towards FOW and vice versa. How dare Other Game exist when clearly My Game is superior! It is impossible to enjoy both!

Well, it's very hard to enjoy Flames with BF trying their damndest to gently caress it up :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

Well, it's very hard to enjoy Flames with BF trying their damndest to gently caress it up :v:

What he said.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Honestly, lately, it feels like BF are trying to speedrun old-school GW.

I mean, I'm trying to think of a "here's what BF need to do-" and I'm struggling. There's the obvious issues with stock and supply and they price kits higher, out of cheaper material, with fewer extras. There's the numerous rules issues; assault is now essentially the phase you do shoot-and-scoot in and several core rules make the game look really ugly and resolve weird, in what's nominally the simplifying edition. I'm not sure what they even need to turn around at this stage.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 26, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If they're doing a GW speedrun we just need to hold on for a few months while they power through the Kirby years, after which they will start doing good poo poo again. :downs:

I'm really enjoying TY these days, though. I played my first TY game against Britain a couple of days ago. I found it amusing how comparatively tiny British AFVs are to Soviet ones. His force of tiny baby tanks was dwarfed both physically and quantitatively by my Soviets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Geisladisk posted:

If they're doing a GW speedrun we just need to hold on for a few months while they power through the Kirby years, after which they will start doing good poo poo again. :downs:

I'm really enjoying TY these days, though. I played my first TY game against Britain a couple of days ago. I found it amusing how comparatively tiny British AFVs are to Soviet ones. His force of tiny baby tanks was dwarfed both physically and quantitatively by my Soviets.

Presumably Scorpions? The Chieftain is enormous.

I want to like TY really badly, but so many things in it are ridiculous. The fact "If you bring a motor rifle company, stand stationary in front of the enemy and try and dig in while shooting at them with FP 5+" is actually meta approved should tell you a lot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What frustrates me the most is that I can't see what's so Warhammer about Battlegroup.. The orders aren't, the army building ain't that either, morale and pinning actually exist...

Also, he claimed that FoW could be played using common sense (in that wasn't gamey) but I'm not sure how true that was in V3, The Edition The Local Meta Died In.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Pester him with CoC. If he doesn't bite :sever:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let's hope that your friend bites CoC

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
To be fair, even a little nibble on CoC would probably be acceptable.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JcDent posted:

What frustrates me the most is that I can't see what's so Warhammer about Battlegroup.. The orders aren't, the army building ain't that either, morale and pinning actually exist...

Also, he claimed that FoW could be played using common sense (in that wasn't gamey) but I'm not sure how true that was in V3, The Edition The Local Meta Died In.

FoW's mechanics are much closer to Warhammer. Things even have save stats that cancel hits if they roll high enough on a D6. :shrug:

Although neither game is very much like Warhammer at all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Battlegroup was originally released as Kampfgroup Normandy under GW's now- defunct Historicals imprint.

Maybe he's still mad about the lineage?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Maybe he was getting it mixed up with Bolt Action?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Flames of War is apparently a GW Australia office dude's side project too originally. It's pretty obvious that it draws a lot from 3rd ed 40k in many ways.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

Honestly, lately, it feels like BF are trying to speedrun old-school GW.

I mean, I'm trying to think of a "here's what BF need to do-" and I'm struggling. There's the obvious issues with stock and supply and they price kits higher, out of cheaper material, with fewer extras. There's the numerous rules issues; assault is now essentially the phase you do shoot-and-scoot in and several core rules make the game look really ugly and resolve weird, in what's nominally the simplifying edition. I'm not sure what they even need to turn around at this stage.

I still don't understand why BF have made 0 attempt to future proof their plastic kits. They made a M4A1 Sprue without any option for 76mm M4A1s, and a Churchill Sprue for the I and III only - no IV, V, or VI for Late War, and a Panzer IV Sprue without any of the early war snub guns.... Surely getting a few extra bits on the loving sprue would be cheaper than retooling the whole sprue.....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
PSC did that, but TBH there's a lot more difference between an early and late war Panzer IV than you'd think.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PSC saved costs by making the M4A1, A2, and A3 sprues identical, except for the single piece upper hull being different on each one, leaving them all tricked out to build any variant, which is a pretty smart way of doing it. The only different one is the A4, which has the more extensive Firefly parts on it.

PSCs own Churchill only covers Mk III, IV, VI (75mm), Mk V 95mm howitzer Close Support or AVRE as well, no options for I and II.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 27, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Where the hell can I get 15mm Panzer 35(t)? Neither PSC or Zvezda make them.

Nevermind, Battlefront make them in resin

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 27, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fish and Chimps posted:

Where the hell can I get 15mm Panzer 35(t)? Neither PSC or Zvezda make them.

Nevermind, Battlefront make them in resin

There is an alternative

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Yeah I figured, but based tanks are a deal breaker

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Even Gaming Models guy doesn't have the 35t, must be a pretty uncommon tank in all the common rulesets

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

NTRabbit posted:

Even Gaming Models guy doesn't have the 35t, must be a pretty uncommon tank in all the common rulesets

The Germans only took some 250 of them, and mostly used them in Poland and France, which afaik are some of the lesser played parts of the war.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I want to use a 35 or 38 for my Bolt Action Operation Sea Lion, but it would be fighting Home Guard.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

The Germans only took some 250 of them, and mostly used them in Poland and France, which afaik are some of the lesser played parts of the war.

More's the pity; I find 1939-40 a lot more interesting than the endless repetitions of 1944 Normandy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The 35(t) is also basically the Romanian R-2, which was their most used tank of the war.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://www.gamodls.com/

Gaming Models guy is in the wrong country to be a man in a shed, but he takes orders by fax and email, so he's the real deal

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

http://www.gamodls.com/

Gaming Models guy is in the wrong country to be a man in a shed, but he takes orders by fax and email, so he's the real deal

Haha how is he still in business?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Low cost and low mould wear?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wandered down to Briscon today, saw a fair few games of Bolt Action, 1000 points looked like a fairly manageable amount. Also saw some wings of glory on a huge table which was great. Little bit of Tango Yankee for sale too.

But coolest thing for me was seeing a bunch of Wartime Miniatures' really cool 28mm modern miniatures for sale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Spent the weekend building German armoured cars for our North Africa games, but today's blog is all Napoleonic anyway. Let's get some light infantry in here!

The minis are 28mm from HäT, which are really cheap plastics.. Some details are a bit iffy, but they are really realistically proportioned. Unfortunately, that's the problem, as all other ranges are roided up to various degrees, from plain buff dudes to Bane levels of bulk. So the officers, in this case from Front Rank, make them look like teenagers.

32 per box means that they are perfectly sized for Sharp Practice. The downside is that the command box is separate, so you'll either have to get a ton of formations, or have way too much command.

Front Rank sergeant looking unimpressed.

Perry and Warlord officers don't look quite as big next to them.

Longer review on the blog:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-light-infantry-chasseurs-hat

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So a few things I learned recently:

1) That apparently some of Warlord's tank kits are scaled up versions of PSC stuff. Which does explain some stuff (like the dumb multi-part tracks).
2) That Warlord are doing their own plastic 8th Army/Africa Korps minis, as well as new US infantry (although that one wasn't really a shock).
3) That the Perry Brothers are doing their own US Infantry (leading with M43 versions) at some point in the future.
4) That I can basically cover most of the British options for What A Tanker in plastic. :toot:

The Warlord desert troops are the real headscratcher. The Perrys already staked that ground and you sell their minison your website, why would you think trying to claim that market share is a good idea? Although new US Infantry are promising for my Armored Rifles.

Kind of wish Warlord would start selling the Wargames Factory WW2 infantry they presumably got the rights to for those who want more true scale miniatures. I guess the Perrys will scratch that itch, but that might be a ways off.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Warlord desert troops are the real headscratcher. The Perrys already staked that ground and you sell their minison your website, why would you think trying to claim that market share is a good idea? Although new US Infantry are promising for my Armored Rifles.

warlord is heroic scale and perry is true scale. theres also incentive to make their own african theater kits because the profit margin on them will be greater than with the perry kits

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Speaking of Perry North Africa kits, have some Desert Rats!

This is the first time I've used the GreenStuffWorld grass tufts, and they're really nice!

I was proud of this conversion, subtle though it is. The foregrip on his Thompson is sculpted from a bit of sprue.

For the Boys AT Rifle team, I did the magnet thing again. Before:

After:

Just one more section to go and the platoon is complete. And when I got home this evening, a bag had arrived from the WarStore: two British 2-lb Anti-Tank guns!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your skin looks really good how do you do it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

looks like he does a flesh basecoat and a wash, then maybe a highlight

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Speaking of Perry North Africa kits, have some Desert Rats!

After:

Just one more section to go and the platoon is complete. And when I got home this evening, a bag had arrived from the WarStore: two British 2-lb Anti-Tank guns!

Those are super rad. I love the magnetized MG team.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Got the Zvezda Maus finally, because you gotta have a 15mm Maus. Is the little panel that connects the two guns present on the real vehicle's specs? It seems to be on a lot of models of it, but the surviving one doesn't have it currently.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

Your skin looks really good how do you do it
Vallejo Flat Flesh, followed by a MinWax (Polyshades Antique Walnut Gloss) wash, followed by Dull-Cote. Super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ilor posted:

Vallejo Flat Flesh, followed by a MinWax (Polyshades Antique Walnut Gloss) wash, followed by Dull-Cote. Super easy.

Do you just spray the whole model w dull cote?