Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's a new book called Breathless from Black Mask that's off to a decent start.

It caught my eye because the writer is Pat Shand, who wrote a bunch of Zenescope comics that, against all odds, were actually pretty okay. I'm glad I can actually recommend one of his books now without feeling like I have to defend myself immediately afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just read Curse Words 13. Was it meant to be so yellow on so many pages? They're were maybe four pages that were in full color. Even the ad for the second trade paperback was yellow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Tomboy volume 1 is good.

But drat is it dark.

And bloody.

Really bloody

Also, it is weird that the tradeback keeps all the ads for the other series in it...per issue. So each issue ends with 6 pages of ads before you get to the next issue. Why would you do that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I understand there's a new The Prisoner comic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uh huh.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I understand there's a new The Prisoner comic?

Which seems to miss the point quite substantially by giving a detailed backstory on why the new Prisoner resigns and who he is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shattered Visage is the only comic that The Prisoner needs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, imagine if they did one explicitly based on the characters from the show and opened by basically doing a plot from Danger Man, confirming McGoohan was playing the same guy from that show. That's this comic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's disappointing. Oh well, maybe in a few years someone cool like Jordan Peele or Danny Boyle will do a remake of the show that isn't butts. I heard the AMC one sucked.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't think it was great, but I don't think it sucked, either. I give it props for being its own thing rather than trying to just slavishly redo the original. It didn't fully stick it, but I give it credit.

I remember before AMC got the rights, Nolan had talked about wanting to do a movie version, but I don't think The Prisoner would work as a movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, it could, but not if Nolan made it now. The budget and weight that would be put on it would prevent it from being as weird and off-kilter as it would need to be.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else here read Zodiac StarForce?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
First arc was fun but rushed. Second just wrapped up, right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Babs Tarr's doing something Judge Dredd.
https://twitter.com/babsdraws/status/991155586619371520
There doesn't seem to be any other info around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably the IDW Dredd book, I'd guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Another issue of Uber Invasion, another no-show on Comixology. :sigh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the info on the Babs Tarr Judge Dredd thing.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/babs-tarr-joins-the-first-ever-all-female-judge-dredd-special/
It's an all-female-creators 2000AD special.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm the guy reading this month's Sex Criminals adult variant cover in public.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I literally had no idea who the guy i was following was in east of west

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The first issue of Skyward was pretty good. Not really sure what the actual plot is, but the concept of a city that's become zero-G several decades on has a lot of promise for fun visuals and designs.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

i'm seeing in internet shops that sell physical copies a 30 may release date - maybe it was delayed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I literally had no idea who the guy i was following was in east of west

It's the Ranger from like five or six issues ago that was part of the group trying to find and kill Babylon (I think? I need to reread the series when it's finally done since it's hard to follow at the pace it comes out and with all the various plotlines going on at once)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah he has been in quite a few issues. He had a couple that focus entirely on him. I like the issues about him because he has clear motivations and goals, whereas I'm in the dark for a lot of the characters who make grandiloquent proclamations but never seem to explain what the end game of all this is.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Uber Invasion is now available at Comic Cavalcade and it's another "Axis can't do anything wrong ever" sort of deal...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Endless Mike posted:

My store must have shorted me, nothing in my bin this week. :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pancakes posted:

My store must have shorted me, nothing in my bin this week. :argh:
Gilles mentioned it in his newsletter basically saying he doesn't know what the gently caress since even his store didn't have it, but he's been getting questions about it so clearly *some* stores are getting it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone else pickup Barrier at FCBD and immediately buy the rest of the issues? One of my favorite recent discoveries and I loved the horizontal layout and cinematic style.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got it, but I'm gonna wait for the trade.
Reading physically definitely makes that format special.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone else pickup Barrier at FCBD and immediately buy the rest of the issues? One of my favorite recent discoveries and I loved the horizontal layout and cinematic style.

I got it, I love it. My store isn't great at having indie books in stock, and I don't feel like ordering this one at this point. I'm gonna wait for the trade. This is definitely one to buy physically.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress avatar press jesus

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is probably gonna be too niche for this crowd, but i read Michelle Perez's book The Pervert that came out through image this last week last night and it was very good. It's her autobiographical story of being a trans sex worker in seattle, and it's very nsfw just to give a head's up, and it was pretty interesting. Worth a look imo

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

This is probably gonna be too niche for this crowd, but i read Michelle Perez's book The Pervert that came out through image this last week last night and it was very good. It's her autobiographical story of being a trans sex worker in seattle, and it's very nsfw just to give a head's up, and it was pretty interesting. Worth a look imo

I thought it was great, and had been looking forward to it since the excerpt in Island, but I was pleasantly surprised at how consistently funny it was on top of being so unblinkingly frank. That bit with the Clifford-rear end manager with his tongue hanging out was so well-paced and such a concise, economical character sketch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uber Invasion out only a week late due? I'll take it.

Mmmm, fleshblob.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just saw in the latest issue (#18) of Kill or Be Killed that it's going to end at #20. That's kind of sad in that I like it, but good in that there's actually an overall storyline plotted out rather than it just stringing its premise along indefinitely. Plus apparently a TV show is in the works.

Speaking of TV, in the letters of the latest Sex Criminals, that's possibly getting a TV adaptation, too.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Cinema Purgatorio is supposedly coming out next week.

Also, if you liked the weird science fiction of Prophet and Island, you might want to look at the new series Prism Stalker. It's from Sloane Leong, who did some work on Prophet and Glory.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

I just saw in the latest issue (#18) of Kill or Be Killed that it's going to end at #20. That's kind of sad in that I like it, but good in that there's actually an overall storyline plotted out rather than it just stringing its premise along indefinitely. Plus apparently a TV show is in the works.

Speaking of TV, in the letters of the latest Sex Criminals, that's possibly getting a TV adaptation, too.

That’s what Brubaker does. He’s telling a story with an ending, not ongoing serialied fiction.

I’m looking forward to their next project. More Criminal, maybe.

Also, Ether is back next week! It was a great story with some wild art that sadly didn’t get a lot of traction, so I’m happy it’s coming back, even if just for 5 issues.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s what Brubaker does. He’s telling a story with an ending, not ongoing serialied fiction.

or he might be telling a story with no ending, in the vein of incognito. how fun to discover!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uber Invasion out only a week late due? I'll take it.

Mmmm, fleshblob.

the nerf of speed tankmen reads like 'oops, i didn't see how that could totally loving break the combat after i said flying tankmen were the worst thing.'

hold on... does leah have her leg back?

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 11, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jordan7hm posted:

Also, Ether is back next week! It was a great story with some wild art that sadly didn’t get a lot of traction, so I’m happy it’s coming back, even if just for 5 issues.

I'm looking forward to more Ether as well.

Has anyone else been picking up Isola? I'm enjoying it so far - nice combination of art and story.

Coda seems interesting too, as far as fantasy stuff goes.

I had recently mentioned Nowhere Men being in my upcoming issues list, but I think that was just some weird Comixology placeholder because it kept getting pushed back and now it doesn't show up at all. Alas!

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 12, 2018

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Rick Remender's new book Death or Glory is pretty great so far. Amazing art. A little bit faster pacing than Remender's usual slow burn style. Speed Racer meets Smokey and the Bandit meets Fast & the Furious? I can't wait to see where it goes.

Also really enjoying Barrier. Brian K Vaughan doing Brian K Vaughan things. I don't know Spanish, so it's pretty interesting--as the AV club review put it, Brian K Vaughan is a master of alienation--this time alienating the reader in a fitting title about aliens (both illegal immigrant variety & space).

Coda's artwork caught my eye but I ultimately passed on picking it up, I'm regretting that now that my shop is showing it's on backorder waiting for a 2nd printing.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I dug the first issue of Death or Glory. Looking forward to see where it goes.

I also got the first issue of Coda not knowing anything about it other than Saladin Ahmad was writing and that's going to be something special, I think. Fantasy post-apocalyptic heist story? Yes please.