Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weeping Wound posted:

too many species are good at Earth Magic, not nearly enough good at Air or Ice

honestly in my case i was thinking entirely in terms of "crab > sand > earth magic"

e: yetis should have great stealth. speaking of stealth and large things, i discovered recently in the learndb that size does not seem to modify stealth values. i could have sworn it did. maybe it did once upon a time? who knows?

ee:

Speleothing posted:

Edit: Unify the Barding item for crabs, nagas, and centaurs?

look im all for things like this but there has to be a logical way for it to physically be wearable by 3 v differently shaped critters :v

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tollymain posted:

look im all for things like this but there has to be a logical way for it to physically be wearable by 3 v differently shaped critters :v

It's just a giant shell-shaped piece of armour that centaurs and nagas strap to their backs, while crabs crawl into it and wear it as a house.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yetis should absolutely have great stealth. they're basically impossible to find in the tundra but it translates to alright sneaking skills in the dungeon.

please god, i want another large race. they're fun.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what weapon apts would yetis have

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Probably pretty flat melee. Good throwing & short blades to go with the stealth.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 27, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

what weapon apts would yetis have

the most important one: the ability to throw large rocks

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
could be interesting to do a large species w 0s in weapon apts and good dodging/poor armour

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i could definitely see some unarmed with short blades and throwing, definitely

good ice magic, a tiny bit of air magic, mediocre spellcasting at best, absolutely loving dreadful fire magic, maybe not a terrible earth score. poison could be mediocre. conjurations maybe mediocre at best.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
If Orbageddon is too silly, how bout Orb Maelstrom

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwa_hirsuta

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

e: yetis should have great stealth. speaking of stealth and large things, i discovered recently in the learndb that size does not seem to modify stealth values. i could have sworn it did. maybe it did once upon a time? who knows?
The size multipliers to stealth were replaced with aptitude bonuses to make them less obtuse. Back when being smaller gave you bonus stealth, spriggans only had +4 instead of +5 apt.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's just a giant shell-shaped piece of armour that centaurs and nagas strap to their backs, while crabs crawl into it and wear it as a house.

this sounds deeply uncomfortable and awkward, just make crab barding a separate thing

also speaking of barding-rarity things i still think a large-species only armour w a base armour rating 5-6 and about 20 ER would be neat to have

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm a merfolk skald, game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeti crabs are great but i'm torn on if i would want there to be an actual yeti species or for the crab trifecta to exist

assuming this even happens, but who knows

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
large size spiny crab but its only referred to as a yeti

e: i have realized what kind of species would have no dodge skill. imagine centaurs but w giant snail bodies instead

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 27, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a merfolk skald, game
-3 is better than -6! Get to training!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

large size spiny crab but its only referred to as a yeti

e: i have realized what kind of species would have no dodge skill. imagine centaurs but w giant snail bodies instead

Wait, we need a proper snail race first

- 20 units move delay (half speed)
- Only slots are 2 rings (on eyestalks), amulet, hat (helmet?), cloak (or scarf only?).
- No arms, so no weapons or shields. I feel like no evocations would be just too ridiculous so I guess they can just wiggle wands with the hem of their leg. (can somebody draw a snail playing a harp?)
- No evasion.
- Dies instantly if you enter Desolation of Salt
- rC- (maybe have Cold Blooded tag instead, can that apply to player races?)

+ Innately massive HP pool with innate Regeneration 1 which boosts to Regen 2 at 7 and Regen 3 at 14
+ Armored shell with high AC and MR, scaling intensely with level (think up to 50AC and MR+++ at level 27)
+ rCorr∞, rPois+, rF+ (gooey), rMut2
+ Can eat literally anything to sate hunger; incl. poisoned meat

<> start with mediocre but serviceable bite, at lvl7 upgrades to pois bite, at lvl14 upgrades to pois+corrode bite
<> innate ranged dart attack like Dart Slug; weaker version of the bite (but including the advantages)
<> Eating un/randarts and other good quality equipment stuff for positive mutation roll, the higher the quality of the item, the higher the probability of a good mutation. Chance of bad mutation from cursed, -enchantment items, negative egos. (high chance of no effect. decreasing chance of additional mutation for already many-mutated characters still apply)

*No innate mana/casting advantage/gimmick. Decent but un-remarkable starting mana pool/int.

Skills:
- Can't train any melee or ranged weapons (can't use any without arms!) except Throwing which applies to the dart (measly apt)
- Still can nibble on people but will be more useful through the later pois/corr than actual melee damage (measly apt for unarmed and for fighting)
- measly apt for Evocations (fiddling wands still difficult)
+ Completely excellent magic apts, maybe +2/3 across the board with +4 in conj/hex/trans, +4 Spellcasting
+ Excellent stealth (maybe with some innate way of make it useful without pouring points into AGI since you have literally no other use for it than Stealth and can't backstab anyway so stealth itself isn't even as useful)

* Tuned interaction with Chei so he doesn't demand as drastic slowdown as with others, so at maxed Chei Piety you move only a lick slower than a Movement delay 10 race would on maxed Chei Piety
* First race with Chei Zealot start

Teal fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 27, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the game doesnt have horses in it but centaurs still exist :v

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

I couldn't help myself but fix it, please consider

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tollymain posted:

yaktaurs are half yak so centaurs are half cent

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah im trying to make a concept w more equipment slots now

maybe theyre part torpor snail

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we already know centaurs are kind of cheap

joking aside, yaktaurs arent centaurs but yaks, theyre half yak half minotaur

interestingly enough the words centaur and minotaur do not appear to be related etymologically in any meaningful sense

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teal posted:

- Only slots are 2 rings (on eyestalks), amulet, hat (helmet?), cloak (or scarf only?).
- No arms, so no weapons or shields. I feel like no evocations would be just too ridiculous so I guess they can just wiggle wands with the hem of their leg. (can somebody draw a snail playing a harp?)
- No evasion.

+ Innately massive HP pool with innate Regeneration 1 which boosts to Regen 2 at 7 and Regen 3 at 14
+ Armored shell with high AC and MR, scaling intensely with level (think up to 50AC and MR+++ at level 27)

<> start with mediocre but serviceable bite, at lvl7 upgrades to pois bite, at lvl14 upgrades to pois+corrode bite
<> innate ranged dart attack like Dart Slug; weaker version of the bite (but including the advantages)
<> Eating un/randarts and other good quality equipment stuff for positive mutation roll, the higher the quality of the item, the higher the probability of a good mutation. Chance of bad mutation from cursed, -enchantment items, negative egos. (high chance of no effect. decreasing chance of additional mutation for already many-mutated characters still apply)

*No innate mana/casting advantage/gimmick. Decent but un-remarkable starting mana pool/int.

Skills:
- Can't train any melee or ranged weapons (can't use any without arms!) except Throwing which applies to the dart (measly apt)
- Still can nibble on people but will be more useful through the later pois/corr than actual melee damage (measly apt for unarmed and for fighting)
+ Completely excellent magic apts, maybe +2/3 across the board with +4 in conj/hex/trans, +4 Spellcasting
+ Excellent stealth (maybe with some innate way of make it useful without pouring points into AGI since you have literally no other use for it than Stealth and can't backstab anyway so stealth itself isn't even as useful)

* Tuned interaction with Chei so he doesn't demand as drastic slowdown as with others, so at maxed Chei Piety you move only a lick slower than a Movement delay 10 race would on maxed Chei Piety

Idea behind this madness is more or less; extremely durable caster thing that doesn't really rely on any particular luck as weapon and armor finds you only care about as potential for good mutations but has glaring disadvantage in being the slowest player class as well as being the probably reliably worst race at melee ever. You almost completely rely on magic to kill things and yet the only help with casting are ridiculously good casting apts, so you still have to ration your mana, and antimagic weapon enemies/eyes of draining can take you for a NASTY ride.

You should be able to stay moderately drat durable even in extended, and I'm willing to add further resists to ensure that literally nothing will be able to one/two shot you, but at the same time you're very much in the "every step taken lightly could be your death" as while you are perfectly welcome to get strong blink, you're never gonna outrun anybody ever. You're also not given no free flight, swimming, or anything (I'd probably not prevent mutating-on wings though because a winged, flying snail is loving hilarious as a thought).

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Either my motherboard or PSU died so I might be looking at an extended weekend with nothing but coursework to do and no hardware but a macbook to operate on, so there's serious danger I'm actually going to sit down and implement this, I'm loving warning you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tollymain posted:

this sounds deeply uncomfortable and awkward, just make crab barding a separate thing

also speaking of barding-rarity things i still think a large-species only armour w a base armour rating 5-6 and about 20 ER would be neat to have

Armoured blanket

e: chainmail wrap

ee: also let large humanoid races wear them as cloaks that give better armour than usual but, unusually for cloaks, have a stealth malus

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crab wearing a chest plate on either claw

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Teal posted:

- No evasion.

Skills:

No idea what the balancing would be like on this but it honestly sounds incredible. Totally zany and unique. Can't wait to see it turn into something.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re snails: didnt we just make a tanky species that focuses on spellcasting because its physical combat is capped at being not v good

Angry Diplomat posted:

Armoured blanket

e: chainmail wrap

ee: also let large humanoid races wear them as cloaks that give better armour than usual but, unusually for cloaks, have a stealth malus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caparison

you could even do light/armored versions

Teal posted:

Crab wearing a chest plate on either claw

this sounds like theyre in a tank waiting for a customer to pull them out and send them to the kitchen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
putting this on a separate post because lmao it would be huge either way

heres my counter-proposal: large species (ogre/troll large), part torpor snail, part sorta-humanoid

innate traits:
- no evasion skill
- naga speed
- deformed body
- good starting AC, shitloads of AC as you level
- rCorr
- regen?
- coldblooded like draconians
- terrifying ever-gnashing radula aux attack at 7, radula can slow at 14
- trample

- +30% HP, +3 MP, +0 Exp, +4 MR

slots: all jewelry and armor slots save for boots, two helmet slots (eyestalks)

skill apts:
- fighting +0
- shortblades/long blades/axes/polearms +1, maces/staves/uc +0
- throwing/bows/crossbows +0, slings -2 (eyestalks dont play well w slings)
- armour/shields -1
- stealth +1
- spellcasting -2
- conj/charms/sum -2
- hexes/nec/tloc/tmut +0
- elemental schools -1
- poison +1
- evo/invo -1

can anybody guess the reasoning behind the weapons apts

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

re snails: didnt we just make a tanky species that focuses on spellcasting because its physical combat is capped at being not v good

Yes but it's not the Chei's Jesus.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chei jesus needs access to heavy armor and dodging skill

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

putting this on a separate post because lmao it would be huge either way

heres my counter-proposal: large species (ogre/troll large), part torpor snail, part sorta-humanoid

innate traits:
- no evasion skill
- naga speed
- deformed body
- good starting AC, shitloads of AC as you level
- rCorr
- regen?
- coldblooded like draconians
- terrifying ever-gnashing radula aux attack at 7, radula can slow at 14
- trample

- +30% HP, +3 MP, +0 Exp, +4 MR

slots: all jewelry and armor slots save for boots, two helmet slots (eyestalks)

skill apts:
- fighting +0
- shortblades/long blades/axes/polearms +1, maces/staves/uc +0
- throwing/bows/crossbows +0, slings -2 (eyestalks dont play well w slings)
- armour/shields -1
- stealth +1
- spellcasting -2
- conj/charms/sum -2
- hexes/nec/tloc/tmut +0
- elemental schools -1
- poison +1
- evo/invo -1

can anybody guess the reasoning behind the weapons apts

See I'm not sure I see a meaningful dynamic behind giving Large (no hard armors) + Deformed body (so your soft armor bonus is slashed) but then supplant it with innate AC so you do get armor but it basically behaves as an expensive (encumb) resist/stat slot. I get that there's that design policy of "no obvious choices" but this doesn't make for an un-obvious choice, it just makes for a "bad vs lovely" choice and imho that gets only anxiety inducing.

I'd be willing to roll with this (as in, maybe even code this instead of my own idea) if you considered giving up chest armor slot altogether adoption of armor eating and associated mutation shenanigans.

I'm also not sure why make the magic apts be kinda garbage, particularly if you can't really get much from heavy armor anyway, so it's not like you get to choose if you're sacrificing something to hybridize; you'll be mediocre at it no matter what you do armor wise. If you can still melee okay I'd agree most of it should be at 0-2 but I don't see a reason for minus apts (I guess except thematic Cold dislike)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its troll/ogre sized but its humanoid body is more like minotaur-sized. size only affects ev and constriction last i checked

if it couldnt wear normal armors i would have said so in the slots portion :v

e: the magic apts arent super incredible but they do get de levels of innate mana growth

more importantly though, in my experience w aptitudes, even a -2 magic school apt isn't too bad as long as its either not your main school or you arent investing much in other schools. id call this species an adequate caster

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 27, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

its troll/ogre sized but its humanoid body is more like minotaur-sized. size only affects ev and constriction last i checked

if it couldnt wear normal armors i would have said so in the slots portion :v

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Armour#Body_Armour

I dunno if I'm misreading the table but what I gather from this is that everything between Leather and Crystal is banned for Trolls/Ogres

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I am totally okay with a pure snail race and a snail taur race at the same time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
centaurs and nagas are also large for purposes of size (i thought they were a size category between normal and trollgres but i was wrong)

the large=cant wear armor thing is a misconception either way though

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, if a slow-moving character w trample attacks a creature w a fast weapon, what happens

e: which floor is the faded altar guaranteed by

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 27, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I seem to have figured it out, and got my first ascension with any sort of magical playstyle, with a full 15 runes. Even with a crown of eternal torment extended is tedious and uninteresting. Highlights include nearly dieing in floor 25 of a ziggurat with twenty one pan lords, and killing the lernaean hydra in two turns.
Ae was a lot more fun than the Fe I tried back when I last played crawl.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everybodys out drinkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
We used to joke about how bad the Tavern threads where with Can't-Tell-If-It's-A-Joke threads about removing basic things like warriors, but this thread is turning just as bad. Stop with the gimmick race posting.

• Locked thread