Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for instance, im mentally enjoying the thought of playing karn and squee in the same deck for the synergy that totally exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Matsuri posted:

Mechanics question:

Say I have Firesong and Sunspeaker on the battlefield and I cast a spell like Delirium or Rakdos Charm, would I still gain life off of those? Those spells cause creatures to deal damage to their owners, not the spell itself, so it doesn't seem like it would.

You would be correct. You don't gain the life.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I really need to know if this God-Pharaoh's Gift deck is even worth keeping around anymore. If its not I don't think I can play constructed arena anymore, I've spent so much time and wildcards on it. I know nobody's taken it to a pro tour or anything but I'd like to think it could be capable of winning even a single game...

Here's the list https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1062214

The idea is to play pretty much only dudes that can cycle, get an early gate, and then maybe play Strategic Planning to hit 6 dead creatures, activate your gate and rez a Chupacabra or Angel or something. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I get to 5 dead creatures and then do nothing for 9 turns.

I imagine the deck might be more consistent with 4 Champion of Wits, but lmao wildcard system. Also it'd be great if I could either run 4 Cast Out or sideboard all of them but sideboards aren't a thing yet. The main problem is that I need to be running at least 25 creatures so that I can consistently discard them with Champion or Gate or just explore dudes into the GY. It also makes Strategic Planning a lot more consistent. I need all the draw because its a combo deck with no tutors so I need to draw into a Gate to the Afterlife by turn 4.

I'm not sure if Slaughter the Strong should stay. On the 1 hand, its great to have when my opponent is playing dinos/merfolk/vamps/tokens, and it lets me sac my own guys and get Gate triggers. On the other hand it's complete garbage against aggro or merfolk who get a particularly aggressive start. And useless against control. Also because I need so many creatures, I can't really run 4 Slaughters and 4 Cast out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

Mechanics question:

Say I have Firesong and Sunspeaker on the battlefield and I cast a spell like Delirium or Rakdos Charm, would I still gain life off of those? Those spells cause creatures to deal damage to their owners, not the spell itself, so it doesn't seem like it would.

No

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Oh man.

Turn 2 naban
Turn 3 Champion of wits, loot a Liliana DM and TSG into my yard
Turn 4 Karn, get my land drop for next turn handed to me, they exile the saga with a silver counter
Turn 5 Cast Yawgmoths, kill their best dude, get Liliana out of the yard, -3 her to get TSG out of the 'yard.
Opponent concedes.

I'm loving this poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Double post

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 27, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This deck is insanely fun and giving me an excuse to run my favorite borderline unplayable but awesome planeswalker as a three-of. I'm going to make it in paper.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Owlbear Camus posted:

This deck is insanely fun and giving me an excuse to run my favorite borderline unplayable but awesome planeswalker as a three-of. I'm going to make it in paper.

What's the list?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

What's the list?

This is like, 1.0 but what I came up with:

3 Yawgmoth's Vile Offering (DAR) 114
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
3 Naban, Dean of Iteration (DAR) 58
5 Island (RIX) 193
4 Champion of Wits (HOU) 31
2 The Scarab God (HOU) 145
3 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh (HOU) 140
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
1 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
3 Settle the Score (DAR) 103
3 Liliana, Death's Majesty (AKH) 97
2 Wizard's Retort (DAR) 75
3 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
3 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
1 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Fetid Pools (AKH) 243
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
2 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Caligo Skin-Witch (DAR) 80
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
1 Whisper, Blood Liturgist (DAR) 111
1 Josu Vess, Lich Knight (DAR) 95

Also, it's in Arena so I don't have access to Kaladesh block. When I make it in paper at a minimum I will probably add a Baral or three.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume rank is used for matchmaking, but there is some leeway.

I still have a BW vampire deck I can probably upgrade with Isolated Chapels and new removal, I was able to climb okay with that so might be okay in the league thing you can do (500 gold entry fee but 100 gold and 3 uncommons back for 0 wins) but with the Arena constructed format being less written about I don't know if it's the best. I quite like my BG explore reanimator deck, maybe should go Sultai? Fun to think about at least, but not ready to spend wildcard yet.

Going Sultai for Scarab God is probably the best thing you could do, but you will need a lot of wildcards for him + the dual lands.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Helm of the Host is a p. good hat.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Noice. Did they concede?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Dual Lands being rare in MTG really fucks things up. You'd have to spend so many Rare Wildcards just to have a reasonably functional manabase that it kind of screws Arena over compared to other digital card games. Hopefully the CCC threedrops in Dominaria are setup for upcoming mono-color deck support in Core Set 2019, since if there's a reasonably viable mono-color deck that doesn't require a million Mythic Wildcards like Mono-Red needs it'd give people an option for a decent starter deck to build to.

e: or just give new accounts 2 or 3 of each land.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That cycle really seems like a signal for Devotion coming back in the fall set, but who knows.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just noticed you posting a ton more than before

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

Dual Lands being rare in MTG really fucks things up. You'd have to spend so many Rare Wildcards just to have a reasonably functional manabase that it kind of screws Arena over compared to other digital card games. Hopefully the CCC threedrops in Dominaria are setup for upcoming mono-color deck support in Core Set 2019, since if there's a reasonably viable mono-color deck that doesn't require a million Mythic Wildcards like Mono-Red needs it'd give people an option for a decent starter deck to build to.

e: or just give new accounts 2 or 3 of each land.

Mono color is viable right now.

Mono Green is putting up results online, Mono Red has been putting up results the whole time and Mono white is supposedly quite good with Marshal and History of Benalia.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fact that janky rares cost just as much as the top-tier ones, combined with being so stingy that you can't really get both, also makes it really awful for brewing fun or experimental decks or whatever. Pick a top tier deck, build towards it, hope you don't get hosed over when the meta shifts.

If you're looking to spend a small amount of money on the game, mtgo is probably a better use of it. Arena is only better if your desired price point is "literally free".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Noice. Did they concede?

Yuup.

I dropped some money into Arena and made 2 pretty solid decks I'm having fun with: Magic Hat Token Land With Infinite Gideons Sometimes and Yawgmoth PW Re animator

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Putting $5 into Arena has reminded me why RNG IAP is and always will be loving garbage. I'm rolling free from here on.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Entropic posted:

That cycle really seems like a signal for Devotion coming back in the fall set, but who knows.

Id guess devotion is the coreset mechanic what with the ravnica speculation.

Plus devotion is a great mechanic to have in standard with a multicolor block since it can give monocolor decks enough of a payoff to prevent the format devolving into 4-5 color goodstuff decks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Devotion to _____ Guild, perhaps? That could be pretty cool. I can see something like "ETB effect regarding devotion to X color, LTB effect regarding devotion to Y color" or something without it being too "broken" for standard.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 27, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Matsuri posted:

Devotion to _____ Guild, perhaps? That could be pretty cool. I can see something like "ETB effect regarding devotion to X color, LTB effect regarding devotion to Y color" or something without it being too "broken" for standard.

How could they measure that besides color? They've already done that with the multicolor gods. You can't use a watermark as that is silver border territory.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

How could they measure that besides color? They've already done that with the multicolor gods. You can't use a watermark as that is silver border territory.

I was referring to guild colors, specifically. So a Dimir devotion card would care about the card's devotion to cards that have both blue and black in their color identity or something (could also count Grixis/Sultai/Esper if you want to be a little more flexible). Or just devotion to the guild's colors in general, if you wanna be a little less creative with it. Definitely where the CCC cards could shine in the latter case.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AlternateNu posted:

I'm kind of mad WotC delays the release of German boxes. Granted, I haven't bought a standard box since Kaladesh, but still.

wait what? where'd you hear that?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They literally said they made those as a throwback to old school mono decks they're not seeds for devotion people.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Angry Grimace posted:

What are you even talking about? That's the most popular deck in the format based on however MTGGoldfish measures it.

Yeah, i meant that my version is probably worse than those lists.
I run Traxos, Hazoret, Fling and some other dumb stuff.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

ShaneB posted:

I just noticed you posting a ton more than before

Ah yea - new job

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
you might not like it, but this is what a 3-0 manabase looks like

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They literally said they made those as a throwback to old school mono decks they're not seeds for devotion people.

I choose to not believe this.

Wizards, do the right thing and bring Gary back to standard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm a little concerned that the buy-in on Arena is set to be ~$50/set which is right in the ballpark of its other competitors (HS, Eternal, some games nobody plays). That wouldn't be really awful if they weren't going to launch with 4 sets (as opposed to 1 set like their competitors), which means that the initial buy-in to get up to speed will be $200.

I might be off by a little bit, but with such a deep card pool to start, they should probably find a way to jumpstart new accounts because this is gonna be an issue forever.

Something like a 1-time-only bundle with a ton of poo poo to get an account started.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think that's what the starter decks are supposed to be, lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Toshimo posted:

I'm a little concerned that the buy-in on Arena is set to be ~$50/set which is right in the ballpark of its other competitors (HS, Eternal, some games nobody plays). That wouldn't be really awful if they weren't going to launch with 4 sets (as opposed to 1 set like their competitors), which means that the initial buy-in to get up to speed will be $200.

I might be off by a little bit, but with such a deep card pool to start, they should probably find a way to jumpstart new accounts because this is gonna be an issue forever.

Something like a 1-time-only bundle with a ton of poo poo to get an account started.

I almost wanted to throw 50 at it because it seems like the most logical bundle, but that could also buy a paper fetchland (or two) that will actually hold some value, and the Dominaria bundle still won't get you that much in the end what with the older sets. I get that Arena is a different beast than paper/MTGO, but it just feels like throwing money away and they still haven't announced if they're doing a new extended format for it or not.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

you might not like it, but this is what a 3-0 manabase looks like

Your manabase looks great though Llanowar Scout is garbo. Were you desperate for 2 drops that badly?

Actually your manabase is so good you probably only needed one Plains. You have Envoy, Surveyor and Grow as universal color sources and you have two Black sources with the Memorial and only one Black spell, so if you only draw Islands and Forests you can use one of your land searchers on a Plains and still not worry too badly if you delay finding a black source. If you have white spells and the Eldest Reborn you can just get the Swamp since you will probably win if you slam your Saga on turn 5.

Toshimo posted:

I assume that most of what you're looking to get from buying stuff is Wildcards, so it's really whether you open the Vault enough times buying $50 or $100 worth of gems (and either just buying the 18000 gems pack bundle and cracking them to fuel the Vault, or funneling the gems into draft entry fees and opening the packs won) to get enough Wildcards to build whatever. You still get owned when your deck rotates but hopefully you can grind grind enough to get enough wildcards (or open enough good stuff in packs) to build a new deck straightaway in the new format.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Your manabase looks great though Llanowar Scout is garbo. Were you desperate for 2 drops that badly?

I was just desperate for some kind of acceleration since I never saw any llanowar elves and only got one grow. tbqh when it come to two-drops in the format you're not going to get much better than a 1/3 with an occasionally relevant ability.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

Matchmaking in arena is ridiculously fast given the player population, and also gives you serious mismatches way too often. I assume that means they've chosen to prioritize low queue times, and as the player population increases queue times will stay the same but you'll be getting more even matchups.

Reminder that there is a hidden MMR that is used for matchmaking, it’s not only based on the visible rank.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Toshimo posted:

They need to do something about lands, they feel so terrible to waste wildcards on. From what I've been seeing on the magic arena subreddit for pack opening returns, most people seem to be just barely enough for a single T1 deck out of the 18,000 gem pack bundle. Something like 10 mythic, 20 rare, 40 uncommon, and 30 common seems to be the common wildcard rates. If the buy-in is actually $50 a set and I can make multiple T1 decks with that, it will be fine. From the looks of it though, I would be lucky to make a single deck. This also doesn't count the fact that you can't do anything with rotated cards at the moment besides use them in whatever future formats they make.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
When I open a sweet whoooa legendary mythic wildcard my reaction should not be "goddammit, what am I gonna do with this, I need rares and uncommons". Maybe let me spend 24 common wildcards to craft 1 rare, or 1 mythic wildcard to craft 3 rares. Idk, honestly just copy Hearthstone's dust system, they're copying everything else from them anyway.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gustav posted:

When I open a sweet whoooa legendary mythic wildcard my reaction should not be "goddammit, what am I gonna do with this, I need rares and uncommons". Maybe let me spend 24 common wildcards to craft 1 rare, or 1 mythic wildcard to craft 3 rares. Idk, honestly just copy Hearthstone's dust system, they're copying everything else from them anyway.

A dusting system would make too much sense for a rotating format like Standard so WotC has to screw it all up instead.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I've been pretty happy with the Arena patch. I spent $20 on it but saved 1,000 gems for draft and was able to make a u/r wizards deck. It went 4-7 during my daily quest efforts but I'm 6-1 in quick constructed. I don't know if I became a magic savant in my time away, if I've been really lucky, or if quick constructed is just easy right now. I assume it'll get harder over time as the players who do poorly stop losing money at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
posting on page 1111