Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
not sure if that becomes more funny or less funny after finding out that the "device" is just a USB condom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lol russia has apparently begun to block all major social networks?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Consequence of Telegram escalation, or is this something else they think the modern world gives 17 nanoshits about?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/989616554152083456

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

cyberpunk future in full effect

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Ancestry.com made this guy history

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No real detail, but that sounds like they uploaded the guy's DNA as if an end-consumer and just hoped for a close match to show up, rather than forcing ancestry.com to disclose anything ... I think 23andme has some big government guarantee to the effect of "no disclosure demands", but that's a funny workaround. Just how many unknown criminals' DNA has been uploaded this way to actually catch one?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

James Baud posted:

No real detail, but that sounds like they uploaded the guy's DNA as if an end-consumer and just hoped for a close match to show up, rather than forcing ancestry.com to disclose anything ... I think 23andme has some big government guarantee to the effect of "no disclosure demands", but that's a funny workaround. Just how many unknown criminals' DNA has been uploaded this way to actually catch one?

Idgi did they somehow have saliva samples from 20 years ago or whatever, or did they just send a vial of frozen cum and the lab was like "uhh ok whatever people really don't read directions"...

????

Also I have this image of Detroit or whatever just mailing 20,000 backlogged rape kits to 23andme now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
they gotta have some level of cooperation with the company, because you can’t get a vial or spit or a cheek swab from a crime scene

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

they gotta have some level of cooperation with the company, because you can’t get a vial or spit or a cheek swab from a crime scene

if you can't get at least an entire vial of various fluids from your crime scene you're not doing crimes right

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

23 counts of homicide and me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

James Baud posted:

yeah someone at vice was posting about how they contacted a few of the bigger services like 23andme or ancestry.com and none of them said they worked with the cops, so either they're lying or the cops made a profile themselves, and it's impossible to know which

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Raere posted:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You can upload a data file to most of these sites in lieu of their spit kits.

E: now that I think of it this will probably be the big secfuck of 2019 when it's discovered that police officers have been uploading data in bulk to these sites pretending to be the criminals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

You can upload a data file to most of these sites in lieu of their spit kits.

E: now that I think of it this will probably be the big secfuck of 2019 when it's discovered that police officers have been uploading data in bulk to these sites pretending to be the criminals.

That sounds like an interesting fuzzer to write. Not just for the actual data flow, but can you target sub-populations with fuzzed data and say identify people with rare conditions by uploading a bunch of fake DNA with the same condition

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

yeah someone at vice was posting about how they contacted a few of the bigger services like 23andme or ancestry.com and none of them said they worked with the cops, so either they're lying or the cops made a profile themselves, and it's impossible to know which

it's probably both. compulsory cooperation in many cases plus some get uploaded without the company knowing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

did none of them say they work with the cops, or did they all say they don't work with the cops.

cuz if they all just didn't say they work with the cops, it's not a lie

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Raere posted:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Consequence of Telegram escalation, or is this something else they think the modern world gives 17 nanoshits about?

looks like a weird telegram escalation

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

From the UK registry of companies.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10542519

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hahahaha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

owns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

seeing it not work is almost as funny as seeing it work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Midjack posted:

seeing it not work is almost as funny as seeing it work.
don't worry there's plenty of people scraping companies house for it to be effective somewhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah its bound to work at at least one spammy fly-by-night operation

when i set up my company, within a week id got like 4-5 lovely letters about signing up for bullshit addressed to company name. all from different sources (well i suppose they could buy from the same source, but since the registry is free they probably all scrape).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
not sure if this is a tavis or not but sophos sent me this email https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/131934

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

That sounds like an interesting fuzzer to write. Not just for the actual data flow, but can you target sub-populations with fuzzed data and say identify people with rare conditions by uploading a bunch of fake DNA with the same condition

imagine insurance companies doing that, and denying coverage to young adults applying for insurance for the first time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

did none of them say they work with the cops, or did they all say they don't work with the cops.

cuz if they all just didn't say they work with the cops, it's not a lie
https://twitter.com/ZushaElinson/status/989923520233680896

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Perplx posted:

imagine insurance companies doing that, and denying coverage to young adults applying for insurance for the first time

we won't sell our data to insurance companies
we will allow insurance companies to trade some of their data for as much of ours as they can connect to it

fun game

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I'm the @gmail.com

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
im the U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER mojibake

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Methanar posted:

I'm the @gmail.com

theyre weirdly low budget but i know genealogists who swear by them. itll be interesting to see what they say

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm the organization that collects genetic material and has an official privacy policy of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MAIL US YOUR CUM
WE WONT DO ANYTHING WEIRD WITH IT

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Methanar posted:

I'm the organization that collects genetic material and has an official privacy policy of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gonna need you to be more specific here

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skull mask mcgee posted:

gonna need you to be more specific here
turn your monitor on

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

anthonypants posted:

turn your monitor on

I think he is asking if you are referring to the dna company or google free gmail since they apparently use that as email

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

lol if you disclose a type of personal information that’s completely irrevocable, and has limitless potential to gain added meaning with every scientific finding about any allele in the human genome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

lol if you disclose a type of personal information that’s completely irrevocable, and has limitless potential to gain added meaning with every scientific finding about any allele in the human genome.

that's why I never leave my house

• Locked thread