Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

everytime i think im really smart for winning at HQ, i look at the Jeopardy try out page test. how do these people know so god drat much about the most banal poo poo.

It's really just a function of being curious and noticing stuff. It's also a healthy dose of knowing Jeopardy tropes and pavlovs. Much of the time, a convoluted question is just asking what the capital of Kentucky is in a convoluted way. And if they ask about a Finnish composer, it's going to be Sibelius.

For the record, I've passed the Jeopardy test 3 times but was absolute crap at HQ. It's a different beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sunnyboy posted:

Yes on Randy.

Also, "Swiss Army" is not the brand. The brand is Victorianox. "Swiss Army" is a type of knife they sell, though now it seems to be a line of stuff they carry, but it's still not the brand name.

Like calling the auto brand "Mustang". It's Ford, and Mustang is a model they sell. There is a difference, but maybe not in the heads of the new lame writers, who are more concerned with making bad puns out of the category headings that writing decent questions.
The company is Victorinox. The brand is Swiss Army. Doritos doesn't stop being a brand because Frito-Lay owns it.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
New champ looks like Darlene Conner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How was that a triple stumper, none of them deserved to win.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lol guess none of the contestants are Broadway fans

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

zakharov posted:

And if they ask about a Finnish composer, it's going to be Sibelius.

Today's episode I remembered this quote, and it made me laugh.
It wasn't Sibelius, and now I think you might be a spy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alex Trebek is such a prick. "Heh, Johnny made it sound like a large number but actually the winner's total is actually below average. :smug:"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Stairs posted:

Today's episode I remembered this quote, and it made me laugh.
It wasn't Sibelius, and now I think you might be a spy.

:ssh:

What was the question? I haven't been able to watch the last few days.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

zakharov posted:

:ssh:

What was the question? I haven't been able to watch the last few days.

Can't find the clue because it isn't up on j-archive yet, but the answer to the clue was Esa Pekka Salonen. How in good hell anyone would know who they are is beyond me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

puppets freak me out posted:

Can't find the clue because it isn't up on j-archive yet, but the answer to the clue was Esa Pekka Salonen. How in good hell anyone would know who they are is beyond me.
He's apparently a really well-known conductor among serious classical nerds, but yeah, this was bougie as hell even for a $2,000 clue on Jeopardy

It's sort of like how there are two categories of cartoon nerds: the ones who can quote every line from Futurama, and the ones who can tell you who Maurice LaMarche is

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

It's sort of like how there are two categories of cartoon nerds: the ones who can quote every line from Futurama, and the ones who can tell you who Maurice LaMarche is
I don't know which kind of nerd I hate more.
I re-read your entire post in Orson Welles' voice.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Josh continuing to kill it, maybe we have a ToC contender here?

Teachers Tournament next week.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

GhostStalker posted:

that dude is a machine

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Josh needs to keep winning.

And he needs to keep doing that cat paw thing every time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Young Hickory" was Polk, not Pierce.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

GhostStalker posted:

He's got a really high-energy play style. I hope he can keep it up, because I'd be really drained going game after game like that. But he's really thoughtful and he plays like he plans on finding all the Daily Doubles without doing the Arthur Chu/Alex Jacob hunt-and-peck.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Josh needs to keep winning.

And he needs to keep doing that cat paw thing every time.
I don't remember ever seeing an enthusiastic furry on the program. I was 90% sure between the mascot suit and the unnamed conventions but the cat paw clinched it.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 6, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I want to believe this is the first time Juicy J came up in a Jeopardy question.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do they not have wildcards in this tournament or did they just not announce them on Friday?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CPColin posted:

Do they not have wildcards in this tournament or did they just not announce them on Friday?

They did announce them on Friday. Maybe you just missed it?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think my station maybe aired Thursday's episode on Friday, then.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of, I can't recall any Jeopardy! tournament of any kind where more contestants visibly appeared to forget they were playing for wildcard spots. That one on Friday had $15k in the bank and should have just put the buzzer down until the semis.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why does Judy sound like Tammy from Bob's Burgers?

Where does this awful accent come from?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jeopardy wrong again (as it was when ken gave "ho/hoe").

https://twitter.com/LogOffMaybeHeal/status/996067265849315328

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A donkey punch is to the head, not the neck.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Alex's knowing chuckle is more upsetting than I ever could have realized

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Requesting name change to 'Tall as a mountain, Ribbed with pine'

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
That final was super hard, what the gently caress is plumbago/lumbago? Never heard of either of those things

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A Typical Goon posted:

That final was super hard, what the gently caress is plumbago/lumbago? Never heard of either of those things

Yeah, I didn't even get close either. I've heard of lumbago (not sure what it is, other than a back problem) but never plumbago. I'd reason it's based off Latin plumbum in the same way that we call graphite "lead" in a pencil.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

For the sake of clarity, I'm gonna abandon the backward Jeopardy usages of "clue" and "answer", that poo poo's confusing.

It was a trash Final Jeopardy answer. Like, the question was perfectly constructed to lead you to the answer "plumbago". It's just that plumbago is a super archaic word that peaked in the 1750s and practically nobody knows it now, so it just feels like you have to make up a nonsense word and hope it's right.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
“Scoliosis with a P in front of it”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My first guess was "lumbagop."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lol at a Borat reference on Jeopardy!

I LIKE!!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Josh Hill owns. He has an odd dorky charisma

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Josh Hill owns. He has an odd dorky charisma
It's weird how common this is in the furry community once you get past all the yiffing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
wait what is josh a furry

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

wait what is josh a furry

He does little paw gestures every episode. That's a universal Furry thing. Also Reddit apparently knows him.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stairs posted:

He does little paw gestures every episode. That's a universal Furry thing. Also Reddit apparently knows him.

I FB friended him through the Jeopardy contestants network and there's nothing overtly furry in his profile page, but then again, it isn't something you advertise, now is it? The paw thing is just him saying he likes tigers, but that seems like something a furry would say.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Irregardless he's a joy to watch and seems like a really cool person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

GhostStalker posted:

I FB friended him through the Jeopardy contestants network and there's nothing overtly furry in his profile page, but then again, it isn't something you advertise, now is it? The paw thing is just him saying he likes tigers, but that seems like something a furry would say.
He's this guy: http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Bucktown_Tiger

In his earlier appearances he said something about playing piano in a tiger costume at a furry convention if you connected the dots.

Most furries I know aren't super into having that be their whole identity. They're mostly fairly normal folks who occasionally suit up and do the whole fandom thing. It also tends to be one of those things where the IRL identity and the fandom identity are rarely seen in the same room at the same time.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 25, 2018