Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Lobster posted:

So there are 12 million sellers on the Switch. Nintendo made 8 of them.

Odyssey, MK8D, BotW, Splatoon 2, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Xenoblade, Kirby. Then the report lists Pokken DX as being another. There was an article a while back about Bomberman R and Mario + Rabbids hitting a million.

What is the 12th?

Rocket League is probably getting up there, it's at or close to the top sellers on eshop since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

A handheld only switch.... hm.... :thinking_face:

New Switch Mini XL

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Roadie posted:

*New* Switch PSi XL
(Portable Screen)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Lobster posted:

So there are 12 million sellers on the Switch. Nintendo made 8 of them.

Odyssey, MK8D, BotW, Splatoon 2, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Xenoblade, Kirby. Then the report lists Pokken DX as being another. There was an article a while back about Bomberman R and Mario + Rabbids hitting a million.

What is the 12th?

Not surprised Bethesda isn't on there. $60 for years old third party content is too much even for the convenience of portability, and people know it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kvlt! posted:

I really want to play Doom but I can't justify spending $60 on what I hear is a ten-hour campaign. How's the multiplayer?

it's indeed expensive on switch compared to other platforms but it's easily the best FPS single player campaign to come out in the last decade. it's worth playing even if you don't do it on the switch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Slime Rancher will be the first million-selling third-party FPS. :pray:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kvlt! posted:

I really want to play Doom but I can't justify spending $60 on what I hear is a ten-hour campaign. How's the multiplayer?

I promise I felt the same way. I got it used at GameStop so you might get lucky. But i promise it's worth what ever you get it for. There's a small but it seems dedicated multiplayer group. They populate the team and deathmatch lists. Got close to full games. The game is just a joy to play, I kind of like the multiplayer more for really feeding the need to rip and tear without having to navigate a story. Single player is just starting to pick up, just got the assault rifle, but with more multiplayer time than single, I'll say it'll be awhile before I finish it. This is all predicated on you liking gyro aiming, as if you're playing with sticks, I imagine it's not nearly as fluid or fun.

Get this game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Facetious posted:

Not surprised Bethesda isn't on there. $60 for years old third party content is too much even for the convenience of portability, and people know it.

For real.
I would have happily shelled out a twenty for Skyrim Switch but sixty? Gimme a fuggen break.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The more I see of Trailblazers the more hype I get. It's got such a good hook and the design is rad.

Also the Fortnite port is real.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's the best ten hours you'll ever have holding a virtual gun

It comes with titanfall2?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

It comes with titanfall2?

tf2 on switch please and thankyou

grapplin with gyro sounds like god tier pleasure

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No now I want TF2 not TF2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jeff seems super into Robo Labo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5z43G5WqA&t=5992s

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Zelder posted:

Pubg is such a pointlessly ugly game
It has that Eastern Bloc feel to it, which makes sense since it takes place in Russia...?
I dunno

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pool Story lookin like an awesome follow up to Golf Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1dWCLewhQ

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I’m not a Zero Gunner expert, but I think “poorly done” is a harsh way to describe it. It’s definitely got a bunch of weird differences, but it plays pretty drat well.

I love how the Switch is becoming like shmup central.
I know they've patched it up a bunch, but perhaps I'm going off of super anal shmup fan standards. Any clue how it is nowadays vs the original? Or is it kind of a still different enough (arguably broken in ways to hardcore players) but fun regardless situation?

Mister Facetious posted:

I really wish the R-Type series would get to the Switch already.
One of the Neo Geo ones is R-Type like iirc, probably Pulstar? Ex-Irem/R-Type devs according to this:
https://www.neogeokult.com/versus-us/pulstar-vs-r-type-us/

There's also Blazing Star, which is apparently a spiritual sequel to Pulstar.

Speaking of big name horizontal shmup series', I want Gradius V and Darius Burst AC EX.

Zarlog posted:

Are there any other games with multiplayer like Kirby? I'd like to play some different games with my three year old, but it needs to be something where I can just drag her along and not be stuck forever because she's not getting a certain mechanic
I remember reading some dad review of VVVVVV's co-op (Switch exclusive feature!) that mentioned it being good for this. You only go back to the checkpoints when both people die, although I forget how it handles if the second player moves to the previous screen or something.

Course it's like Celeste, short rooms/checkpoints, but you die a lot. So I guess partially depends if they care about dying or just...moving around a guy on screen.

Von Linus posted:

Thanks for this dude. I was wondering if Psikyo games were any good or if they were niche. I haven't played many shmups since Raiden 1 and the like. I don't really think I can handle bullet hell stuff, I borrowed Ikaruga from a friend on the Gamecube and tried it once, it was too much.
They're not always considered bullet hell, but they're not...not bullet hell. They're generally pretty manageable for a few levels before ramping up significantly later on. They do have difficulty settings available if you don't mind turning that down in games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's really amazing how well 3ds has done in the face of kids now having access to smart phones and cheap Kindle tablets where all the games are "free". It's gonna pass 80 million
2DSes are really cheap, take a beating that their parents phones can't, and have games kids are really into like Pokemon. It's not a huge surprise that that family of consoles is still doing well, though it is kind of eyebrow raising that Nintendo are still putting resources into first-party titles for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Kins posted:

2DSes are really cheap, take a beating that their parents phones can't, and have games kids are really into like Pokemon. It's not a huge surprise that that family of consoles is still doing well, though it is kind of eyebrow raising that Nintendo are still putting resources into first-party titles for it.

It's cheaper than developing Switch games, has a massive install base, keeps their developers in practice and still has a virtual console and other platforms for digital releases that the Switch has yet to take full advantage of/reveal its own equivalent of. (and I have a feeling people may want an alternative to NESflix or whatever when it comes out)

Nintendo may be one of the last game publishers to remember that a developer as a cohesive team who know each other and know how to work together is a valuable asset. I remember some time ago with some people looking at the credits of Mario 64, and were shocked that most of the people listed in them still worked at Nintendo (and most of the ones who didn't had died). Says something given the rest of the industry is infamous for routinely scattering developers of acclaimed games to the winds on inexplicable corporate whims.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Darkest Dungeon is hard as hell. There's like a million things they throw at you. Is there a SA thread?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Can't wait for more 3DS game announcements inevitably accompanied by the frenzied wailing into the night sky of "WHY STILL MAKE 3DS GAME????" from the thread babies. It's almost Pavlovian

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SMT Strange Journey Redux is out on 3DS in a few weeks. :getin:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kingdom Hearts 3 for the Nintendo 3DS

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kingdom hearts 3.729 dunking donald's slacks

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hamster has been putting out IREM stuff (Kid Niki; Moon Patrol), because they got the rights to their catalog. R-Type is coming.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

SMT Strange Journey Redux is out on 3DS in a few weeks. :getin:
You mean that thing that came before the Switch?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It's really amazing how well 3ds has done in the face of kids now having access to smart phones and cheap Kindle tablets where all the games are "free". It's gonna pass 80 million

Dedicated gaming devices just have a different appeal from iPhone apps :shrug:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

japtor posted:

They're not always considered bullet hell, but they're not...not bullet hell. They're generally pretty manageable for a few levels before ramping up significantly later on. They do have difficulty settings available if you don't mind turning that down in games.

Nah, I'm not proud, I want fun not insane challenge.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

The multiplayer is fun, although admittedly I mostly just come back to DOOM for the campaign. The gyro controls have ruined any other version of DOOM for me, they're really well implemented.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

E2M2 posted:

Darkest Dungeon is hard as hell. There's like a million things they throw at you. Is there a SA thread?

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

Also, definitely check out the DD Steamed Hams edit someone posted in there recently.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hamster has been putting out IREM stuff (Kid Niki; Moon Patrol), because they got the rights to their catalog. R-Type is coming.

Gimme gimme Metal Storm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE loving MOON posted:

Tiger Tiger is good though

The fun diminished after the first several hours of grinding for Ether to make QTpi in to an unstoppable killing machine.

Sakurazuka posted:

I consider 6 announced games up until 2019, 2/3 of which are ports to still be pretty dead to be honest.

Wait did I just describe the Switch too? :ohdear:

Those are just first party titles and don't include things from other studios, like EO5 and such though?

Macaluso posted:

Didn't they say it was gonna be something like 10 bucks A YEAR or something ridiculously cheap like that?

If they say "the online service also include full access to the Pokemon Bank system" that'll hook a few (million) more people to the system. Assuming it wouldn't be required for wonder trades and other non-local gameplay in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can't find out anywhere what the PSN stat in Penny Punching Princess means.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

THE loving MOON posted:

The multiplayer is fun, although admittedly I mostly just come back to DOOM for the campaign. The gyro controls have ruined any other version of DOOM for me, they're really well implemented.

I'm probably one of the few people here who think it's a drat shame that they dropped snapmap. While it's way too limited people still made some really cool stuff. poo poo like tower defense and dating sims.
Nintendo were probably deathly afraid of the potential of using it to hack the console which is probably also why Skyrim is gimped.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lodin posted:

I'm probably one of the few people here who think it's a drat shame that they dropped snapmap. While it's way too limited people still made some really cool stuff. poo poo like tower defense and dating sims.
Nintendo were probably deathly afraid of the potential of using it to hack the console which is probably also why Skyrim is gimped.
It's likely because Snapmap was built around the expectations of systems with twice the amount of RAM than the Switch has, so if they did keep it they'd have to remove the cross-platform map database and halve the already-tight limits.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they say "the online service also include full access to the Pokemon Bank system" that'll hook a few (million) more people to the system. Assuming it wouldn't be required for wonder trades and other non-local gameplay in the first place.

The ONLY thing I need to know is if the online for Smash will be good. Brawl's was godawful. Smash 4's was perfectly fine sometimes and REALLY bad other times. Hopefully they finally make it work in Smash 5

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

The ONLY thing I need to know is if the online for Smash will be good. Brawl's was godawful. Smash 4's was perfectly fine sometimes and REALLY bad other times. Hopefully they finally make it work in Smash 5

I only vaguely care about online with smash so all I need to know is WHEN CAN I BUY IT

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I bought Korg Gadget. It’s good, even without the sampler gadgets you get on the iPhone/iPad version.

There’s a lot to tinker with and the workflow is easy enough to just mess around and end up with something promising.

The big downside, of course, is how limited you are in getting things off your Switch. There’s no uploading to Korg’s cloud or Soundcloud (it’s possible that this could be added later, but I’ve not heard anywhere that that is planned), and no midi export, which is a bit weird, given that the 3DS Korg apps had it. The only audio out options seem to be recording via the headphone socket, or if you know someone else with a Switch and Gadget, you can send songs to them. Data exchange they call it. I’ve not tried it to see if you can go between Switch and iOS yet, I expect not.

Overall, I really like it, but I can see how it’s already niche appeal may be further limited by the lack of audio out options at the moment.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Disappointing news that it's so gimped. At this point I would rather make lovely music with the cardboard piano.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat I'm bummed theyr actually going through with the paid multi-player thing.
It's weird to have something be free for so long then just start charging for it.

Guess I won't play splat no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
$10-20 a year for multiplayer and free games, GET hosed nintenDONT!

• Locked thread