Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I don't know if "AMD who?" is :thejoke:, but no Nvidia isn't tapping TSMC yet for 7nm products yet.
That's surprising. You'd think they'd do a test run of whatever "W" is by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

You aren't as up to date on global trade as you think you are. Everybody but your bad country just finished signing free trade agreements with them.

we should all have one currency and central govt too, its working so well for the EU so long as germany has money

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Shut up with the politics poo poo.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Shut up with the politics poo poo.

I mean, I’m not surprised it keeps coming up. Cost is such a central topic of GPUs right now what with buttcoins and RAM cartels. Trade policy is going to heavily factor into that and I enjoy reading people’s takes on the daily developments in that arena.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes but the last time it happened mods came through threatening to put people on probation. GPUs are expensive everywhere, regardless of your country’s trade deals, so a bunch of smug chin-stroking about TPP isn’t really advancing the conversation. It’s just a borderline relevant version of “Americans VS Foreigners on Metric” or some other bullshit.

We don’t want this thread gassed, so quit it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

finally, someone who will stand for the sanctity of the GPU thread

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ho Crap... Jim Keller is now at Intel. drat is there only 1 CPU God that everyone has to pass around to make a new innovative jump in performance in this world?

Dude literally must be keeping his tricks a secret. Maybe he will release a book or teach a few chosen few before he retires or something. Hopefully AMD took enough notes to keep his work going on Zen+/2

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
IIRC he designed Zen+/Zen2, it would be post Zen 2 where they're on their own.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone needs to make an action/adventure movie about Jim.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Stanley Pain posted:

I think they did a video game called Transistor.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stanley Pain posted:

Maybe a Deus Ex mod.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just hope Lisa Su brought the lion's share of the turnaround, and manages to keep it up. And actually reach the GPUs with it eventually.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

finally, someone who will stand for the sanctity of the GPU thread

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wulfolme posted:

I just hope Lisa Su brought the lion's share of the turnaround, and manages to keep it up. And actually reach the GPUs with it eventually.

AMD’s GPU division is hosed. Even if they make something good, nobody will buy it because Nvidia has achieved PlayStation/Xbox brand awareness. It doesn’t matter how good your cards are if the PCMR crowd are endlessly loyal to GeForce branded products for generation after generation. So why waste money?

Stuff like the APUs and the Intel partnership are keys to keeping the GPU division active in a world where custom builders give their full attention to Nvidia.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
So I went ahead and ordered 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans to replace my broken cooler. It seemed to be the cheapest option, ~$65 Canadian for everything shipped.

I was initially disappointed because temps are a bit worse than stock. Then I checked the airflow and realised I had mounted the fans backwards. :downs: I'll post pics once I get some better zip ties and flip the fans. The "Premium Heat Resistant" ties I got off Amazon are so brittle I break ~5 for every 1 I manage to pull tight enough to hold a fan.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Stanley Pain posted:

From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
I craved the strength and certainty of silicon, I aspired to the purity of the blessed electron.
Your kind cling to your uarchs, as if they will not slow and fail you.
One day the crude geode that you call a processor will fall into obsolescence, and you will beg me to save you.

But I am already saved, for an electron elemental is immortal.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Ran Heaven Benchmark for an hour and the temp hovered around 73c. Haven't tried overclocking yet. The fans are connected to the mobo while I'm waiting for the adaptor to come in the mail. Even at 100% these things hardly make any noise, so I might not even bother trying to control them with the 1070.

Honestly I'm just happy I was able to fix it without spending hundreds of $.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

Ran Heaven Benchmark for an hour and the temp hovered around 73c. Haven't tried overclocking yet. The fans are connected to the mobo while I'm waiting for the adaptor to come in the mail. Even at 100% these things hardly make any noise, so I might not even bother trying to control them with the 1070.

Honestly I'm just happy I was able to fix it without spending hundreds of $.

If you use SpeedFan you may be able to control the fans based on GPU temperature (depending on your GPU/chipset). I use it in my itx to crank the case fans when either the GPU or CPU is under load.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Unfortunately it seems that function doesn't work for z370. My BIOS has a similar feature that lets me tie case fans to the PCIx port temp, but not the GPU temp. But I just installed the Gigabyte fan control software, and apparently those fans were dropping in speed once windows booted. Setting them to 100% in the app is audibly louder, and drops my max temp on the same benchmark* to 62C. Overclocking to 1987MHz brought that to 65C. Limiting to 60fps brought that to 53C.

* Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4, Ultra @ 1440p.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Craptacular! posted:

AMD’s GPU division is hosed. Even if they make something good, nobody will buy it because Nvidia has achieved PlayStation/Xbox brand awareness. It doesn’t matter how good your cards are if the PCMR crowd are endlessly loyal to GeForce branded products for generation after generation. So why waste money?

Stuff like the APUs and the Intel partnership are keys to keeping the GPU division active in a world where custom builders give their full attention to Nvidia.

I think they could, if they had a competitive arch and rewrote the drivers. If they executed well for a few years with great prices and marketing and availability, and Nvidia dropped the ball and what I'm saying is it'll happen, after Navi, for real this time.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I think they could, if they had a competitive arch and rewrote the drivers. If they executed well for a few years with great prices and marketing and availability, and Nvidia dropped the ball and what I'm saying is it'll happen, after Navi, for real this time.

And don't think NV is going hand over next-gen consoles to AMD on a silver platter next time. JHH acts proactively against potential markets/threats and ISA compatibility isn't even remotely a showstopper in this context.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Palladium posted:

And don't think NV is going hand over next-gen consoles to AMD on a silver platter next time. JHH acts proactively against potential markets/threats and ISA compatibility isn't even remotely a showstopper in this context.

Microsoft is never going to work with Nvidia again after they pillaged MS's wallets on the original Xbox. If they didn't want to hand the industry over, they should have been less greedy 15 years ago.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Palladium posted:

NV's inability to offer a fairly high performance + cheap CPU to go along with the GPU is what will likely put the kibosh on whatever JHH wants.

If NV can't deliver a fairly high perf + cheap as hell CPU/GPU combo for consoles they're kinda boned right out of the gate I think for consoles at least.

The AMD current, and probably future, revisions of GCN that AMD has to offer for a GPU runs hot but the perf really isn't bad ---for a console--- + its cheap + they can pair it with Zen based CPU's which should also be affordable if not cheap too. Those Zen CPU's actually have pretty good perf/watt which goes a long ways for making up any deficiencies on the GPU side of things there as well.

On top of that there are various IP licensing issues to deal with since all the console vendors want to control as much as possible with whatever they buy and IIRC NV tends not to play nice there. At least not at the prices the console vendors are will to shell out for.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Palladium posted:

That's absolutely not going to happen anyway, backwards compatibility is a higher audience demand than Microsoft and Sony realized and retaining the AMD hardware for next-gen is surely high on their list of priorities. Microsoft talks a big game about 'forward compatibility' and being able to seamlessly play previous gen games is a big feather in their hat.

I don't know about Sony but they probably want to retain AMD hardware for the PS5 for similar reasons and for simplicity's sake. They know how beneficial familiar hardware is. They don't want a repeat of the PS3 situation where developers had to figure out the Da Vinci code to get their games working on it. There's been a lot of chatter about Zen being used. No smoke without fire.

I think nvidia tried console hardware once, and they ended up scamming Microsoft in the process, so they hosed their reputation up anyway.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Craptacular! posted:

Yes but the last time it happened mods came through threatening to put people on probation. GPUs are expensive everywhere, regardless of your country’s trade deals, so a bunch of smug chin-stroking about TPP isn’t really advancing the conversation. It’s just a borderline relevant version of “Americans VS Foreigners on Metric” or some other bullshit.

We don’t want this thread gassed, so quit it.
DRAM is a commodity market so it is intrinsically political.

China is deeply interested in ensuring it has domestic production of hi tech. Right now chips are usually made elsewhere and a good side effect of Chinese policy is that we now have competition for the ram cartel for the first time in years

Micron best watch out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I suspect hades canyon style products will dominate

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Doublenpost

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

Microsoft is never going to work with Nvidia again after they pillaged MS's wallets on the original Xbox. If they didn't want to hand the industry over, they should have been less greedy 15 years ago.
I read about this at some point, but does anyone know of a good writeup on how Nvidia hosed MS over?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD was willing to scrape their profits to the bone to supply the PS4 and Xbone cause they desperately needed products going out the door when AMD looked to be in total failure mode. It was a gamble that worked, and one that Lisa Su gets a lot of credit for, but they also dont make much money on them. Nvidia was unwilling to scrape the bottom (they really had no reason to), and couldn't offer an x86 SoC that both console makers preferred over discrete chips. Microsoft and Apple would use Nvidia again in a heartbeat if the deal was the right price, lets be real. This is business.

Of course, Nvidia makes the CPU/GPU and platform for the most popular console on the market anyway so...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

Of course, Nvidia makes the CPU/GPU and platform for the most popular console on the market anyway so...

Nvidia might have a hard time getting another console deal though, what with the whole "oopsie woopsie we left a bug in the Tegra bootrom that makes every Switch manufactured to date utterly and permanently hackable" thing :v:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to download updates through the NVIDIA Control Panel? Or just without signing into the Geforce Experience?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is convoluted and still requires a sign in, but I have a Twitter bot that posts new drivers and downloads them for me. No GFE required but I am signed into Twitter. https://twitter.com/nvidiacc

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Manual download from Nvidia does not require signing in to anything.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that works too. Bots just give you up to the minute updates. If you don't mind you might be a few days out of date checking the website when people start talking about driver updates is probably the best option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

Nvidia might have a hard time getting another console deal though, what with the whole "oopsie woopsie we left a bug in the Tegra bootrom that makes every Switch manufactured to date utterly and permanently hackable" thing :v:

That would affect absolutely nothing in the negotiation, I’m pretty sure.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

There's also this Powershell Script which grabs the latest from Nvidia's site and installs it with GeForce Experience disabled.

E: if you edit that script to remove the interactive elements you could schedule it to check for updates once a month or something.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 27, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

Lol, how did Nvidia gently caress that up?

Subjunctive posted:

That would affect absolutely nothing in the negotiation, I’m pretty sure.

Can't tell if sarcasm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

Can't tell if sarcasm.

Nope, just like OEMs didn’t care about FDIV and nobody is walking away from Intel over Spectredown. Switch piracy would have to become very widespread (and visibly so) before it was even mentioned.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to download updates through the NVIDIA Control Panel? Or just without signing into the Geforce Experience?

https://github.com/ElPumpo/TinyNvidiaUpdateChecker

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's absolutely not going to happen anyway, backwards compatibility is a higher audience demand than Microsoft and Sony realized and retaining the AMD hardware for next-gen is surely high on their list of priorities. Microsoft talks a big game about 'forward compatibility' and being able to seamlessly play previous gen games is a big feather in their hat.

I don't know about Sony but they probably want to retain AMD hardware for the PS5 for similar reasons and for simplicity's sake. They know how beneficial familiar hardware is. They don't want a repeat of the PS3 situation where developers had to figure out the Da Vinci code to get their games working on it. There's been a lot of chatter about Zen being used. No smoke without fire.

Consoles are more or less commodity PCs nowadays. The programming model is not going to be tremendously different from AMD to NVIDIA, it's not like the weird Cell architecture. Besides, at some point AMD is going to have to replace GCN anyways, Vega/Navi is going to be the last generation of GCN products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Lol, how did Nvidia gently caress that up?

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2018/shofel2/

The Tegra chips have a recovery mode that allows uploading signed firmware images over USB, but there's an exploit in the USB command handling that allows arbitrary code execution. And it's in ROM so they can't fix it on existing units.

Nintendo were actually doing a relatively good job of securing the Switch firmware, but it's all for nothing because the Tegra exploit breaks the chain of trust before Nintendo's firmware even loads. Nintendo must be pissed.