Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Really hope Hyrule Warriors for Switch is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Tae posted:

Some numbers on the Koei Tecmo front:

Dynasty Warriors 9 – 730,000 units shipped worldwide
Attack on Titan 2 – 520,000 units shipped worldwide
Nobunaga’s Ambition – 130,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Atelier Lydie & Suelle – 180,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Fire Emblem Warriors – 1,000,000 units shipped worldwide
Nioh – 1,900,000 units shipped worldwide

They're going to focus more on overseas and still have plans with "popular western IP"

Considering they did work on Dissidia NT, Koei just needs to hold Square Enix down and get them to sign off on a Final Fantasy Warriors and be done with it.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Edit: System network seems to eat my posts and vomit out two at a time.

On a more fitting topic, I do hope the next third party Warriors title is more like Hyrule and less like Fire Emblem. FE Warriors was just disappointing, and I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Some numbers on the Koei Tecmo front:

Dynasty Warriors 9 – 730,000 units shipped worldwide
Attack on Titan 2 – 520,000 units shipped worldwide
Nobunaga’s Ambition – 130,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Atelier Lydie & Suelle – 180,000 units shipped in Japan and Asia
Fire Emblem Warriors – 1,000,000 units shipped worldwide
Nioh – 1,900,000 units shipped worldwide

They're going to focus more on overseas and still have plans with "popular western IP"

I'm very surprised and impressed with both the Fire Emblem Warriors and Nioh numbers. Excited for the inevitable Nioh sequel.

Edit: also, honestly, DW9 was not half as big a disaster as I expected saleswise. Huh!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

24 warriors featuring kiefer sutherland

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The 44000 Musou

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I wish the IP distribution rights weren't so hosed, I'd play another DW Gundam again in a heartbeat

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Magil of Shadow posted:

On a more fitting topic, I do hope the next third party Warriors title is more like Hyrule and less like Fire Emblem. FE Warriors was just disappointing, and I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem.

I'm a big fan of 2D Zelda games.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
King Arthur Musou. Plenty of characters to choose from.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A world where Bladestorm was a proper Musou instead of a poorly thought out strategy game.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Civil War Musou. Give me anime Lincoln versus anime Davis.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

bentacos posted:

King Arthur Musou. Plenty of characters to choose from.

Fate/Extella is already a game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

French Revolution Musou, let me kill the royalists and the clergy.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

WilliamAnderson posted:

French Revolution Musou, let me kill the royalists and the clergy.

Les Misérables musou, heavily influenced by ARM JOE. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't there a Joan of Arc game that's Musuo esque, but by a different company, and kinda terrible? PS2 era?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/989761530563473408

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chachi posted:

Les Misérables musou, heavily influenced by ARM JOE. :colbert:

Do not pursue Valjean.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Isn't there a Joan of Arc game that's Musuo esque, but by a different company, and kinda terrible? PS2 era?

Bladestorm?

It's actually PS3/PS4 and made by the SW team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mokinokaro posted:

Bladestorm?

It's actually PS3/PS4 and made by the SW team.

Maybe, I could have sworn I was thinking of something earlier.Is it any good? because playing as Jeanne D'Arc while killing a thousand English bastards seems amazing to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's one of the problems with Bladestorm, you play as a generic grunt not one of the interesting characters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well, at least you can play as Jeanne in WO3 and she's pretty solid there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's one of the problems with Bladestorm, you play as a generic grunt not one of the interesting characters

I seriously don't understand character creation as a feature in Musuo games, playing as these playing as one of these outsized personalities was the main appeal of the series from the start. You don't get that with a blank slate protagonist.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Maybe, I could have sworn I was thinking of something earlier.Is it any good? because playing as Jeanne D'Arc while killing a thousand English bastards seems amazing to me.

are you thinking maybe of wars and warriors: joan of arc. or kingdom under fire, i remember that having a joan of arc lookalike.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I seriously don't understand character creation as a feature in Musuo games, playing as these playing as one of these outsized personalities was the main appeal of the series from the start. You don't get that with a blank slate protagonist.

It's fun being a self-insert who uses one of the most powerful movesets alongside the person who also uses it then becoming their sworn brother or something like that. Interacting with them is just as fun as playing as them.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's great in Empires games, I've united China as Totino's

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gary and Mary Stus own the hell out of the Musou universe, and it never stops being hilarious to me.

"GokuIRL has defeated Lu Bu! Morale is soaring!"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Look man, WeedLordVegeta was the mightiest warrior in the land. Revisionist history killed that legend, so it's fitting he gets his just dues in these video games.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, give me the option to play a created officer and I'll do that 99% percent of the time (In Empires 8, I think I've played as Lu Su and Chen Gong, and other than that it's all created officers, and I've played a lot of Empires.)

Unsurprisingly I've got like 100 created officers in ROTK that are all part of an empire built by a fictional son of Yuan Shu that goes four generations deep, and they all have detailed backstories and histories. For whatever reason, I really like creating characters in the three kingdoms setting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Gary and Mary Stus own the hell out of the Musou universe, and it never stops being hilarious to me.

Leaving the function to download random characters on in DW8E and having Skeletor show up was pretty great

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There are interesting characters in Bladestorm, the game that has two characters labeled as 'King of England', the King of England and 'King of France', the King of France?

I guess there's that one guy whose name I forgot who I remember calling 'Count Babyface', I liked that guy.

That leaves...?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joan of Arc

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Nobles in history get referred to by their seat rather than their name enough that that never bothered me, but Bladestorm really was lacking in memorable characters. There was the Black Prince, and the welsh Archer named Branwyn who I remember for some reason, but I don't remember anyone else. Hell I played 20+ hours of that game and don't remember ever even reaching Joan of Arc.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 27, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i remember the token asian characters

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I decided to play this big lanky goober with bad hair and glasses in AOT 2, and it worked perfectly. ‘Imagine your character as a school shooter’ works weirdly well for musou games.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

Nobles in history get referred to by their seat rather than their name enough that that never bothered me.

Okay, fair, but let me give examples.

Edward is introduced to the player as 'Edward, the Black Prince'.

The aforementioned kings are literally introduced as 'King of England, King of England', and 'King of France, King of France'.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Guesclin was in it though! Talk about underappreciated generals.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Actually yeah, a Musou game that goes from the revolution until 1830 would be great, Napoleon would be awesome, the Duke of Wellington, Louis Napoleon, and there are well definited costumes for the French Legion as well as the British army. Probably also have Prussians and Russians as well.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

Nobles in history get referred to by their seat rather than their name enough that that never bothered me, but Bladestorm really was lacking in memorable characters. There was the Black Prince, and the welsh Archer named Branwyn who I remember for some reason, but I don't remember anyone else. Hell I played 20+ hours of that game and don't remember ever even reaching Joan of Arc.

That would be because Bladestorm covers a LARGE swath of time and so the beginning of the game is largely about bumming about with the Black Prince beating the poo poo out of France while trying to convince the king not to simply burn his way across it.......and then there are large period of functionally nobodies for how long you get to know them (Bertrand du Guesclin, Arthur de Richemont, Philippe le Bon, Hal, and Henry Percy the Gan Ning of the game) and then Joan shows up and the plot picks back up for awhile before I believe it gives you a mission to either make sure Joan dies (if you supported the british mostly) or save her (if you supported the french mostly).....and then the plot ends and you just get to do all the battle grounds forever while trying to get the side stories to finally loving trigger and unlocking magic, elephants and gunpowder weapons to lead up to the fight with 'Legendary Mercenary' John Hawkwood.

By that point though its kinda reached lovely warrior game level though because I started completing missions by not getting any back up people and just running through bases killing guys with my overpowered cooldowns because I'm geared up in frankly ridiculous armor and weapons. It's not a BAD game but it has a wind up time and it can be annoying as hell convincing certain missions to actually show up so you can progress.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Actually yeah, a Musou game that goes from the revolution until 1830 would be great, Napoleon would be awesome, the Duke of Wellington, Louis Napoleon, and there are well definited costumes for the French Legion as well as the British army. Probably also have Prussians and Russians as well.

Do not pursue von Bülow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

Behold the new ruler of China: