Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think we can all agree that, the webcomic is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Serene Dragon posted:

lmao no she isn't.

Edit: I mean, seriously dude, look at the way she drew Alison's face. That's not the expression you give someone when you want to give a sense of urgency. She looks mildly perturbed at best.

to be absolutely fair, Alison should realize that this is all a memory and it happened years ago so there's nothing to be urgent about.

Flesh Forge posted:

I think we can all agree that, the webcomic is not good.

Well, yes.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

At the very least the page isn't what we expected, so good on Mulligan for that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
To give the benefit of the doubt, maybe this is a made up memory to deflect what really happened because he is still to traumatized from killing his parents?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It really feels like he changed his minds multiple times based on some commenter predicting where he was going :thunk:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

pospysyl posted:

At the very least the page isn't what we expected, so good on Mulligan for that.

I thought he might mind control his mom when he said "there's another way." I didn't call it because the story never hinted at him having that kind of power.

The gun ultimatum is meant to be an insanely stupid metaphor for free will, isn't it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nobody would reasonably expect that because the comic established very thoroughly that Patrick was read-only but, although extremely unlikely and not supported by any precedent, Mulligan may pull some sort of hat trick where this is not dumb :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He thought he was read-only because his awareness of his capacity to actually control minds was what was behind the totally not Pink Floyd Wall; he could deal with almost getting murdered by his mom and spending his childhood as a psychic crime hobo suffering the touch DTs alright but the knowledge that he's even capable of rewriting minds was so viscerally horrific for reasons the author has done absolutely nothing to indicate that he's built his life around repressing it, and now the Strong Female Protagonist has come along and done it to himself.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 24, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He thought he was read-only because his awareness of his capacity to actually control minds was what was behind the totally not Pink Floyd Wall; he could deal with almost getting murdered by his mom and spending his childhood as a psychic crime hobo suffering the touch DTs alright but the knowledge that he's even capable of rewriting minds was so viscerally horrific for reasons the author has done absolutely nothing to indicate that he's built his life around repressing it, and now the Strong Female Protagonist has come along and done it to himself.

Suggestion: We go full Marvel Comics with this.
There is no Alison. There was never any Cleaver, either.
Patrick is the only superhuman in the world, the rest are elaborate personas sustained by his unlimited psychic reality-warping and mind-reading, illusions that exist because he needed to externalize the immense and crowded psychic turmoil of humanity.
Gurwara is the only entity or person that is aware of the truth, and thus, is the conspiracy - the part of Patrick that keeps everything running by hiding that he is in fact a psychic godbeing.

This would not be a good story, but at least it would be somewhat more interesting and coherent. For a ridiculous value of 'coherent.'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Flesh Forge posted:

Nobody would reasonably expect that because the comic established very thoroughly that Patrick was read-only but, although extremely unlikely and not supported by any precedent, Mulligan may pull some sort of hat trick where this is not dumb :shrug:

He's literally never made a not dumb decision in his career but surely this time will be different!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I think this is what it's going for. the whole conspiracy thing might just have been him setting up something against himself.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
How do you solve an unpunchable problem? By rewriting it to be punchable after all, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Typical Pubbie posted:

WHAT WAS THE POINT OF HAVING HIS DAD KILLED OH MY GOD

His dad was obviously in the wrong for being there and his mother was obviously redeemable and correct.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I want to throw out the idea that Mulligan actually just straight up forgot Patrick wasn't supposed to be able to do that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does mulligan hate his real life dad

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Does mulligan hate his real big dad

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Does mulligan hate the dads from reel big fish

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

He thought he was read-only because his awareness of his capacity to actually control minds was what was behind the totally not Pink Floyd Wall
Knife Mother built the wall

tear down the wall

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

here is the writer by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iv6-csRBBI

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
That's the best thing he's written.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How embarrassing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I need that on a t-shirt.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
That is what the writing makes me pray for!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Typical Pubbie posted:

The key to success is to write what you know!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

cmon already lets get some disappointment

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

cmon already lets get some disappointment

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Alison is doing the Homer Simpson slow smile from the "you've got the dud" they always use in Simpsons shitposting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:thunk:

I don't expect much but I think the comic maybe remembered the motif of "superpowers don't fix everything" as ridiculously terrible as the setup has been.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

what should we do about dads corpse

Mr. Squishy posted:

Alison is doing the Homer Simpson slow smile from the "you've got the dud" they always use in Simpsons shitposting.

we have a new emote
:dudsmile:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Seriously who is writing this dialogue because I can't believe it's actually a person

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
A guy who's bad with dialogue to the point of almost having a stroke.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"You've fixed my sociopathic tendencies, let me just ramble about cookies and milk rather than freak the gently caress out that I literally murdered my husband 5 minutes ago."

It's probably a huge fakeout actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fuego Fish posted:

"You've fixed my sociopathic tendencies, let me just ramble about cookies and milk rather than freak the gently caress out that I literally murdered my husband 5 minutes ago."

It's probably a huge fakeout actually.

Nah, he's just fried her brain, and she's even worse than before.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Whatever happened, we know this ends in tragedy, since, you know, he blocked out all of this and made himself think he didn't have the ability to alter minds.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
:laffo:

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
*looks down at notecard*

quote:

Plan:

1) Use psychic powers to give mom emotions

2) if that doesn’t work, have her kill dad and be forced to leave the country forever

Aw jeez, I really goofed this one

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
So I am waiting for her to be psycho or completely brain dead and he did it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I like the part where Allison stares at Patrick for the horrible crime of rewiring someone's brain to fix their issues without her consent, with absolutely no self-reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Whatever happened, we know this ends in tragedy, since, you know, he blocked out all of this and made himself think he didn't have the ability to alter minds.

Maybe she loves him in, like, you know, that way, and they did the dirty and that's why he blocked it out

• Locked thread