Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cock hero flux posted:

yes, when you're dead, you will stop playing

unless hell is real, in which case no

Hell is real, and it is full of bumper cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ariong posted:

Hell is real, and it is full of bumper cars.

Hell is the Doomsday mode on endless repeat.
Heaven is 24/7 Arena mode.
Purgatory is a single round on Hydro that has been going on since the game's launch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
every time i watch an uncle dane vid it makes me want to play highlander engie before remembering highlander is a huge pain in the rear end now that TF2Lobby is dead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wonder if there's ever going to be any Splatoon referential gear. A modified Super Soaker could be a Pyro weapon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Super soaker primary, scuba tank secondary. Primary shoots water that makes enemies wet and extinguishes teammates. Secondary lets you stay underwater longer without drowning and move easier underwater. Maybe switch those for balance. Full pyroshark.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Super soaker primary, scuba tank secondary. Primary shoots water that makes enemies wet and extinguishes teammates. Secondary lets you stay underwater longer without drowning and move easier underwater. Maybe switch those for balance. Full pyroshark.

You can drown?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, you start taking damage after like 30 seconds underwater?

Though I was suggesting more 'super soaker filled with gasoline to make a ghetto flamethrower'.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jippa posted:

It's the best multi player shooter ever in my opinion. The art style means it never looks dated and the mechanics are so varied and fun.

:agreed:

I still come back to TF2 every so often. Even after months of not playing it, I can just get right back into the groove. And it's always a good time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

It's the best multi player shooter ever in my opinion. The art style means it never looks dated and the mechanics are so varied and fun.

The engine is definitely showing its age. Player collision detection is a shitshow, which makes melee combat super frustrating.

Still, the mechanics are beautiful otherwise. I miss the death of the server model--the lack of matchmaking was accidentally one of the game's best features and I'm sad it's gone. But it's still a great game to jump back into now and again.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I've been having recurring issues with voicelines lately, and I've basically all but exhausted my options at this point. I don't know if anyone here will be able to help me with this, but it's worth a shot, I guess.

Bit of backstory: I like to stream TF2 from time to time using OBS, and sometimes like to do art streams as well. Because I'm using a laptop, this involves having to set OBS to use integrated graphics in the Nvidia control panel for when I want to do a display capture, and setting it to high performance when I want to capture TF2. This hasn't been a problem since I got this laptop late last year.

Around mid-March, I changed my Nvidia control panel settings so I could stream TF2 as normal, and suddenly OBS couldn't hook into the game for whatever reason - all I could see was a black screen in the preview. Other games worked fine, it was just TF2 that I was having issues with.

Thing is, every single time I found a solution and was able to get OBS to capture TF2 somehow, suddenly no voicelines would play and I'd have no start-up music (though other sounds like the menu clicks would be fine). Games would be nothing but weapon firing sounds and ambience. I couldn't hear teammates dying/being attacked, I couldn't hear people calling for Medic, I couldn't hear any announcer lines so I kept missing the fact that rounds had started/were about to end.

I'm also 90% sure the fact my console was constantly flooded with errors like this was giving me a performance drop, too:

quote:

Failed to create decoder for MP3 [ vo\heavy_medic02.mp3 ]
Attempting to play MP3 with no vaudio [ vo\heavy_medic02.mp3 ]

Every time I managed to fix my voicelines (updating a driver, changing TF2's setting in the Nvidia control panel (which didn't always work) etc), OBS wouldn't see TF2 any more, and every time I fixed OBS and got it to see the game, my voicelines would break. My most recent solution to my OBS problem was setting both it and TF2 to run in administrator mode, which makes it hook into the game with no issue, but - once again - at the cost of losing voicelines. Setting TF2 to no longer run in administrator mode brings them back, but why? What possible correlation could there even be here? Why has this only just now become an issue when I haven't had a single problem like this... well, ever?

I've tried no end of solutions - restarting my game, restarting my laptop, snd_restart in console, deleting my sound.cache, deleting the vo vpks, verifying the integrity of my game files, updating drivers, removing my config, even completely reinstalling my game to no avail. Updating OBS/using an older version doesn't help either. I don't use Avira so it's nothing to do with that, and my current antivirus hasn't quarantined anything.

By this stage I'm not even bothered about the OBS thing, I just want to know what the gently caress is randomly causing TF2 to be unable to play any voicelines and why. :(

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Countblanc posted:

every time i watch an uncle dane vid it makes me want to play highlander engie before remembering highlander is a huge pain in the rear end now that TF2Lobby is dead

Come To https://tf2center.com

Highlanders/6s/ultiduo 24/7 in eurolands and americanlands

It never ends... never stops always highlander.

There are also other fine websites like tf2pl, tf2pugs, pugchamp, mixchamp, and tf2stadium but they more about 6s/7s??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone finally took on this concept in a way that isn't total butts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0sdu3uJFg

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Warpy posted:

Come To https://tf2center.com

Highlanders/6s/ultiduo 24/7 in eurolands and americanlands

It never ends... never stops always highlander.

There are also other fine websites like tf2pl, tf2pugs, pugchamp, mixchamp, and tf2stadium but they more about 6s/7s??

What's 7s like

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
7/Prolander is a unique take on Highlander. It’s a middle ground between 6s and HL that plays both 5CP and Payload maps. Because it’s a 1 class limit you get a lot of variety without the exact same dynamic of HL. Also there’s no item whitelist and teams pick and ban at the start of the game to make things have an extra layer.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Does any of y'all have a link to that old parody frag video where the noclipping soldier gets OWN BONED by a sick airshot and so on?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWSerKGM6I

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just realized that noclipping soldier is a_seagull. incredible

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive been watching a lot of Spot the Hacker and now im super paranoid of everyone

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

oh wow i remember this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IronicDongz posted:

I just realized that noclipping soldier is a_seagull. incredible

pretty sure those are just people who changed their names, like when daniel and friends make that fake vid about the old hacking guy where they all changed their names to big time pros and turned the server speed down to 25%

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Good ole cookie. Did he ever get actually caught? I thought he just avoided lans then fell off to obscurity

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks Reiley

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcB85aX1pqY

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

pretty sure those are just people who changed their names, like when daniel and friends make that fake vid about the old hacking guy where they all changed their names to big time pros and turned the server speed down to 25%
I believe, deep in my heart

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Didn’t someone buy Cone Bone an account here, and he posted a few times before getting banned?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ariong posted:

Didn’t someone buy Cone Bone an account here, and he posted a few times before getting banned?

Everyfamousposterever.txt

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I remember someone buying Carpet Johnson an account. turned out the whole "lol get wrecked human being" thing in his videos wasn't entirely ironic and he didn't last long.. I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Kukkye was a legit player who attended lans.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I remember someone buying Carpet Johnson an account. turned out the whole "lol get wrecked human being" thing in his videos wasn't entirely ironic and he didn't last long.. I think.

lol

Reminder that the purest high-minded irony still fosters an environment where 10-to-1 the people joining in are 100% sincere and have simply been convinced that it's badass to be homophobic or whatever.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

At the very least, carpet did remove his detonator video that had “human being” in the title.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Just watched that kukkye video, man I miss super vanilla original tf2.. I like modern too but now I kinda wish there was like an option or game mode to play that, other than when the servers are down.

I miss spamming the hell out of Lazy Town with all those demoman grenades and that one water works one that'd always be a big sniper war.. :allears:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Reiley posted:

Remember when "a jar of piss" was an April Fool's joke weapon idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZIEvMu5NI&t=77s

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
kukkye never cheated fyi

Jippa posted:

Kukkye was a legit player who attended lans.

yeah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dang

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I reinstalled after literal years looking forward to playing all the classes. Except I can't, because I have to go Medic, because it's Casual and we've got five Engineers having a lunch break at the last point and someone's gotta heal the poor Scouts and Pyros trying to actually play Team Fortress 2. Which, on the one hand, is fine because I feel like I'm a decent Medic, but I want to actually shoot mens and I'm trying to do the Pyroland contracts. I just split the difference and spray syringes at people and it seems to work out okay.

crabf
May 29, 2015

Warpy posted:

Afaik the only pug service that runs 7s pugs is the RGL discord, all the things you listed are for 6s only except for stadium which is dead.

There's also hlpugs.tf but that's primarily top level although new players show up sometimes

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you have been getting random lag on servers apparently one of the hackers that makes the tf2 cheats is mad at valve for shutting him down and has these "lagbots" which automatically ddos the server. Very annoying. Your ping will show fine but every one lags about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

If you have been getting random lag on servers apparently one of the hackers that makes the tf2 cheats is mad at valve for shutting him down and has these "lagbots" which automatically ddos the server. Very annoying. Your ping will show fine but every one lags about.

This explains a lot. I've always had issues with spotty connection so random bouts of lag are to be expected, but I was wondering why it wasn't showing my ping tanking (not to mention why I don't immediately get gibbed when I start lagging midfight.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was pretty shocked when I played last night and didn't see a single dumbass text macro being spammed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think anyone mentioned this

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/8819vj/i_am_an_uncultured_swine_what_is_this_sketcheks/