Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm too lazy to screenshot, just click and experience the befuddlement

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-grand-prix-limo/6562842550.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

Kinda scummy that they don't mention the mileage at all in the CL posting tho. That's basically the first thing I look at in postings after the price.

As a general rule on CL if the mileage isn't listed its gonna be over 150k, probably closer to 200.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/car-for-sale/1350179323?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

:stare:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I had to check out that odometer three times. Yup, its six digit plus the tenths.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd be trying to sell that back to Honda if I were them. for way more :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DJ Commie posted:

It might be a FC stereo, but it looks like this:

Yeah, that's FC. The FB stereo is silver (but pretty much the same).

But not for $10K

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-land-rover-88-series-iia-4x4-2/

Trying to remember if I've seen this around town... spotted one on base a few months back, but that one was in even rougher shape.

I'm on the lookout for a 4wd vehicle suitable for hunting trips into NM's backcountry, but despite being extremely cool it's probably one of the least practical choices (I can't imagine parts availability is great). Also because it's a Land Rover, I guess the price will end up at least 2x the cost of a decent Jeep.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Engines and transmissions don’t magically explode at 200k miles, and $1k is a laughably low price for a car in 2018. My one forester xt has 214k miles and is running perfectly on its original engine and trans, and the other has 190k and also runs perfectly while making almost 300awhp on an upgraded factory motor with 40k miles but original transmission. Both are worth many thousands of dollars, as is basically any Subaru (for example) with any number of miles. You’d be extremely lucky to find a car of any type where I live for $1k that is inspected and drivable regardless of miles. A grand basically gets you a basket case or a pile of parts.

Follow up: I live in the rustless promised land and my ‘99 base model Outback Sport was valued at $3900 by the insurance company with 207k on the odometer. $1500 gets you the same thing with a broken axle. $1,000 gets you no Subaru, maybe a mid-80s GL that’s been imported from someplace with a ton of rust. You can get a car that runs for $1,000 but beggars can’t be choosers at that point, it will probably be an early 90s or late 80s American car that runs on miracles and prayers to Saint Ronald Reagan.

Granted Subarus are more valuable in CO than elsewhere, but still.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I want a 96 so bad. I will have one someday.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

fakeaccount posted:

...huh? What's a freewheel?

It basically allows the transmission to run faster than the engine. It was used in the 96 because it originally had a 2-stroke engine and allowing it to run down to idling speeds on deceleration is better for the limited lubrication available to a 2-stroke. In principle its a similar mechanism to a socket wrench -- in one direction (power delivered from engine), the driveline is engaged. In the other direction (rpm delivered from driveline), it is disengaged. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewheel

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Follow up: I live in the rustless promised land and my ‘99 base model Outback Sport was valued at $3900 by the insurance company with 207k on the odometer. $1500 gets you the same thing with a broken axle. $1,000 gets you no Subaru, maybe a mid-80s GL that’s been imported from someplace with a ton of rust. You can get a car that runs for $1,000 but beggars can’t be choosers at that point, it will probably be an early 90s or late 80s American car that runs on miracles and prayers to Saint Ronald Reagan.

Subaru prices are bonkers all over. Here in PA a WRX with rotted quarters, no clear coat, hail damage and 200k miles is still $nuts. I got lucky with my FXT’s price and condition-wise. Traded a Miata that I was asking $4k for the 300awhp (auto) car with zero rust and great interior, and I have about $7500 into my manual one, but that does include the standard timing belt/water pump/belts/spark plugs at 210k miles and a bunch of aftermarket stuff. I only paid $4500 for it originally, which in the northeast is a crazy good price for a non-rotted out manual FXT.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

That's probably worth it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anything under about $1500 (CAD) in my experience is either;

a. Super undesirable, with issues.
b. A complete basketcase.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frond posted:

That's probably worth it.

Something doesn't seem right here. Honda's website says the first Honda plant built in Canada was in 1986 in Allison, Ontario. See also this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants
A 1985 Civic would've been produced in Japan.

edit: If its not a scam its the 500,000th imported which is still neat but explains why a production engineer or manager from Honda Canada hasn't bought it if Honda Canada itself didn't want it for their lobby.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 28, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBaIFZSbx4

This car's been around. Supposedly 500,000 civic period. Even for a 1985 model year, that sounds a little low. My guess is also 500,000 imported or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volvo/122s/2105296.html

This whole thing is just so pretty.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

As I'm preparing my Volvo 164 for sale on BaT, I'm trying to figure out how much I should fix and how much I should just mention in the ad. It needs new bushings on the rear suspension and the windshield should probably be reseated because it leaks in one corner. What do you guys think, is it better to spend a few hundred dollars and my time to get these things taken care of, or just disclose it in the ad?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pham Nuwen posted:

As I'm preparing my Volvo 164 for sale on BaT, I'm trying to figure out how much I should fix and how much I should just mention in the ad. It needs new bushings on the rear suspension and the windshield should probably be reseated because it leaks in one corner. What do you guys think, is it better to spend a few hundred dollars and my time to get these things taken care of, or just disclose it in the ad?

I'd just disclose it in the ad.

Seems like Bring a Trailer buyers are the sorts that are going to buy it or not, they aren't going to waffle based on some bushings.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Be up front and communicative. It'll encourage buyers that you've made an accurate description of the condition.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If the cost to fix isn't that much, I'd just do it. Windshield sounds like it wouldn't be that expensive for a shop to tackle, bushings maybe leave up to the next guy.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 2, 2018

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Larrymer posted:

If the cost to fix isn't that much, I'd just do it. Windshield sounds like it wouldn't be that expensive for a shop to tackle, bushings maybe leave up to the next guy.

That's where I'm leaning. There's a shop 1/2 mile from my house that says they'll do the windshield for $100, but the bushings will probably take more of my time than I want to spend or cost a decent chunk at a shop, so I'll probably not bother with them.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

"It a 37 footer
run on gasoline
it have microwave"

Really, what more do you need to know.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nadmonk posted:

"It a 37 footer
run on gasoline
it have microwave"

Really, what more do you need to know.

I read this whole ad in Fr. Guido Sarducci's voice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That absolutely works with that ad.

In the summer months on the highway one of the games I play is trying to figure out the donor vehicle for head and tail lights of RVs. For example, I would say those headlights are from a similar vintage Explorer.

Please tell me I'm not the only person to do this

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Actual gold. I'm pretty tempted to get this instead of being responsible and getting a beater prius/civic hybrid. It's close to 10 years since I sold my 86 AW11 too.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

:stare:

:staredog: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/1969-saab-95-2-door-wagon/6563341275.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:stwoon:

It has everything:

Saab
V4
Wagon
Saab
column shifting (4!)
Rear-facing suicide seats for kids in the wagon
Saab
Coupe
Wagon
COUPEWAGON!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I want it

I need it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My grandmother had a '62 Saab 96 two-stroke:

She let us help fuel it up. Adding the two-stroke oil before the gasoline was the prize gig.

She seemed to enjoy it. She had a bunch of weird cars we admired. They couldn't maintain them properly, so the cars would break and then rot in their yard for a decade, then get hauled away for scrap. Wandering the dead cars around her house was some of the best entertainment of the trip.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

NinjaTech posted:

Actual gold. I'm pretty tempted to get this instead of being responsible and getting a beater prius/civic hybrid. It's close to 10 years since I sold my 86 AW11 too.

Odds that he needs it gone because he lost his license?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Yeah that is legit gold. :fap:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was thinking how to rewrite love shack bus with those lines as new lyrics

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

epic bird guy posted:

I want it

I need it

The business wagon for a guy that needs space to haul around his huge erection.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

In the summer months on the highway one of the games I play is trying to figure out the donor vehicle for head and tail lights of RVs. For example, I would say those headlights are from a similar vintage Explorer.

I love that game! Those are definitely Explorer headlights. I've seen stepvans/boxtrucks/whatevers with various models' headlights as well. One manufacturer was using Ram truck headlights for a while.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I don't want to get everyone's hopes up but there is a non-zero chance that I will actually literally buy that car.

Stay tuned.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I can't play because it would be cheating. I work for a stepvan company as an engineer, and either I know the people that pick out those headlights or I do it myself. I just finished designing a hood meant to take headlights from a GMC Sierra from a few years ago (the really blingtastic ones). It replaces a hood that used early 2000s Explorer headlights. I worked with a guy that designed the hood on many UPS trucks that use Alero headlights.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 3, 2018

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

epic bird guy posted:

I don't want to get everyone's hopes up but there is a non-zero chance that I will actually literally buy that car.

Stay tuned.
If you need a local to the area lemme know and good luck <3

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CornHolio posted:

I can't play because it would be cheating. I work for a stepvan company as an engineer, and either I know the people that pick out those headlights or I do it myself. I just finished designing a hood meant to take headlights from a GMC Sierra from a few years ago (the really blingtastic ones). It replaces a hood that used early 2000s Explorer headlights. I worked with a guy that designed the hood on many UPS trucks that use Alero headlights.

Is there any real rhyme or reason why something specific gets picked or is it basically "these are cheap"? The Alero lights for the UPS trucks seem like such an odd choice.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is there any real rhyme or reason why something specific gets picked or is it basically "these are cheap"? The Alero lights for the UPS trucks seem like such an odd choice.

Sometimes it's availability (those Explorer headlights are cheap knockoffs and the local repair place could get them cheap), sometimes it's customer preference (our customer told us to use the Sierra headlights).

I can't speak for the Alero ones but I imagine UPS liked them. They are very particular about the look of their trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So THAT'S why the UPS trucks look like they're squinting into the sun.