Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rockopolis posted:

Going at it from the wrong angle - 40K is totalitarian enough that he can order people to admire his finery on pain of excruciation. A bit like the Emperor's New Clothes, though the 40K version would be wearing a force field and a bunch of strategically placed digital weapons to display the glory of the human form :heysexy: and also spray incandescent plasma from his dong.

But that just opens the question of why he's even bothering to wear clothes if he's just going to make people say he's the best dressed in the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

They're about the same as they ever were, but they have more weapon options now and ion weapons, now a widespread weapon type available to infantry and battlesuits alike, include an overcharge setting for more damage at the risk of frying their user.

Ion weapons from checking are mainly only in the hands of Big battle suits and ships from looking through the codex. (They are also less lethal then Plasma Weapons, dealing a mortal wound on a 1 rather then just killing the operator.) As a result of them mainly just being equipped on big things that can take multiple hits it's less risky.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ion weapons from checking are mainly only in the hands of Big battle suits and ships from looking through the codex. (They are also less lethal then Plasma Weapons, dealing a mortal wound on a 1 rather then just killing the operator.) As a result of them mainly just being equipped on big things that can take multiple hits it's less risky.

Pathfinders get ion rifles, too, and they distinctly can't take multiple hits.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

there really is nothing like taking a tau hunter cadre's eyes with a volley of storm bolters

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Yeah that seems to just be a those guys are willing to risk it thing. Though only 3 of them are willing to use those weapons.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I appreciate the answers. I'm not doing Tau (hopefully) but I've been running the Thyrrus as a hivemind that only acknowledges drama and that's been a blast. They have a Greek chorus and explicit roles that they assign and the utter incomprehension of individuals as opposed to roles has been good. One demonstrated their suicide belt as a way to attain Remembrance and it was fun.

"What happens if we defeat you?"
"This one has a suicide belt."
"Suicide be-?"
*Thoompth, there is alien squid parts everywhere*

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Idiot doesn't even have any digiweapons, not going to last long.

He just had it installed in his belt buckle skull.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Maybe he's having a quiet night home alone and this is basically the equivalent of sweatpants and an old stretched out t-shirt for a Rogue Trader.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His smart-casual pyjamas.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The true secret to relaxation is putting all your remaining energy into picking out your bedtime outfit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe someone just messed up with an Arch Militant picture

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, he's not geared out enough for a proper AM. Tooled up seneschal possibly, extremely fancy duelling sword, serious business pistol, parchments of great import on his hip, clothes with authority but close enough to normal looking that he can just wonder into places looking too important for the plebs to stop him and not important enough for the nobs to pay attention.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm going to have to agree that that dude is terribly underdressed for a guy important enough to be using an Eldar sword.
But we all know that isn't the reason most of the dickheads on Facebook are mad.

Yeah, this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
After reading about the Newcromunda Venator Gangs, remembering the cobra effect from school and re-reading the wiki article, I now want to do a DH campaign where the PCs start a psyker-breeding program to farm the bounties.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Schadenboner posted:

After reading about the Newcromunda Venator Gangs, remembering the cobra effect from school and re-reading the wiki article, I now want to do a DH campaign where the PCs start a psyker-breeding program to farm the bounties.

You could do a borderline Dark Heresy/Black Crusade campaign where the PCs are heretics posing as Inquisitorial acolytes; one of the antagonists could be the Inquisitor the PCs used to work for (or the one who employed the acolytes whose identities were stolen).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, the Tempestus art isn't great and they hosed up the lasgun on the Guardslady, but it's not like FFG art is faultless, just dirtier. The Eldar all look good, though, especially the Ranger lady.

That Crusader helmet is still wtf.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Well, the Tempestus art isn't great and they hosed up the lasgun on the Guardslady, but it's not like FFG art is faultless, just dirtier. The Eldar all look good, though, especially the Ranger lady.

That Crusader helmet is still wtf.

Mind posting a link?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pendent posted:

Mind posting a link?

I'm sure there was one upthread, but I can try!

Yeah, it was Monster Envy.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/WrathandGlory/photos/?ref=page_internal

For some reason, about half of them are in mobile uploads.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly I'm just really happy to get 40k RPG that doesn't use that godawful percentile system. I loved it until I started seeing it's warts.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm still really leery of xenos and marines baked into the core rules and I'm not sure how well the power level thing is going to range it all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, same. Dunno anything specific about the design team myself, did they also work on any of the companies other successful products? I don't know too much about their other games other than Torg seems to be popular enough.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Do like Ars Magicka troupe playstyle, and have players make a roster of characters so they can rotate between their Astartes or Xenos characters and their wave after wave of Guardsmen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
40k and Warhammer RPGs have never been "League of Super Friends" (I guess the closest it came would be Deathwatch or maybe Black Crusade?) and I'm not eager to see that change and having xenos and astares at the base-level seems to invite Mary Suery.

Dunno, I'm still optimistic for the release held at GenCon: Avignon.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 30, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Maybe easier to see it less as "League of Super Friends" and more like Operation Paperclip. The Inquisition is kinda like the CIA turned up to eleven, after all.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Inquisition Suicide Squad could be good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would infinitely rather have an RPG system that lets me play a variety of characters with one book than four loving different gamelines all containing minor variations on the same system that makes trying to do any crossover work just enough of a hassle not to bother with

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I would infinitely rather have an RPG system that lets me play a variety of characters with one book than four loving different gamelines all containing minor variations on the same system that makes trying to do any crossover work just enough of a hassle not to bother with

What this guy said.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Here comes Slipknot, the Heretic Who Can Climb Anything!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rockopolis posted:

Maybe easier to see it less as "League of Super Friends" and more like Operation Paperclip. The Inquisition is kinda like the CIA turned up to eleven, after all.

that does a tremendous disservice to the Inquisition, which does not exist solely to traffic drugs and assassinate third world labor activists

JcDent
May 13, 2013

To be fair, just because xenos are there, it doesn't mean you have to allow players to play then. If you're saying "I'm running a Dark Heresy type game, anyone wants to draw up some Acolytes?," the dude who keeps insisting on running an ork or an Eldar is an rear end.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there any actual reason given for the Taus being in the Koronus Expanse (Tau Character Guide) in or was it a planned Deathwatch tie-in that never really went anywhere and we're just meant to assume they snuck through from the Jericho Reach?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Is there any actual reason given for the Taus

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ok, fair. But my friend is Tau-curious and my plastic mans (more theoretical than real at this point :sigh:) are Calixis-based and I'd rather not put them through the warp gate and subject them to the insane dickery of that rear end in a top hat Ebongrave.

E: I tried the easy stuff that would let me put my guys into the Spinward front (explaining to him him that Taus are neither cool nor good, showing him that Orks exist, showing him that Chaos exists, showing him that Drew Careys exist) but all for naught.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 30, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Schadenboner posted:

Is there any actual reason given for the Taus being in the Koronus Expanse (Tau Character Guide) in or was it a planned Deathwatch tie-in that never really went anywhere and we're just meant to assume they snuck through from the Jericho Reach?

Yeah, the gate/rift/whatever that leads to Jericho. Maybe there's another, who knows.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

zeal posted:

that does a tremendous disservice to the Inquisition, which does not exist solely to traffic drugs and assassinate third world labor activists
:golfclap:

JcDent posted:

To be fair, just because xenos are there, it doesn't mean you have to allow players to play then. If you're saying "I'm running a Dark Heresy type game, anyone wants to draw up some Acolytes?," the dude who keeps insisting on running an ork or an Eldar is an rear end.
Unless they're an Exodite accidentally tithed to the Imperium and hoping noone finds out. Or like, three grots stacked in a trenchcoat.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I believe there was a RT adventure (called Twilight Crusade I believe) where an Inquisitor brought the Tau to the Expanse through the Jericho Gate because the Evil Chaos Bad Guy of the week got an Ethereal somehow and the Inquisitor thought bringing the Tau would help even the odds against the Chaos guy. I believe any Tau were assumed to have come from that adventure and are the ones that choose to stay behind.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Like a wormhole opened between Tau land and the rpg setting I think

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pharmaskittle posted:

Like a wormhole opened between Tau land and the rpg setting I think

I mean, that’s literally what they did in Deathwatch: theres a Warp Gate that connects the Koronus Expanse with the Jericho Reach across the goddamn galaxy.

Not exactly the most inspired storytelling but you had to get Tyranids and Taus into the Deathwatch setting somehow and they’re all the way in the Ultima Segmentum.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
40k being entirely derivative and shallow is one of it's strongest points. You could literally come up with any reason for something to happen and it could still be less ridiculous than the established canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ditto.

MizPiz posted:

40k being entirely derivative and shallow is one of it's strongest points. You could literally come up with any reason for something to happen and it could still be less ridiculous than the established canon.

"New FTL engine trials make a wormhole" is the 8e explanation for 5th Sphere expansion. If the Tau ever get anywhere interesting, it's always about wormhole and not their lovely, sub-warp FTL drives.

Schadenboner posted:

showing him that Orks exist

Your friend is truly lost and damned, and a possible weeb.