Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It's weird that a game with no real incentivized reward for winning is so popular. Really makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

It's weird that a game with no real incentivized reward for winning is so popular. Really makes you think

the real reward is fun and the time with friends along the way, op

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

It's a game where you can brag to your friends about winning because its fairly rare. Especially when you're just starting out or you're 10 years old.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

wa27 posted:

It's a game where you can brag to your friends about winning because its fairly rare. Especially when you're just starting out or you're 10 years old.

Or really bad at video games. Don’t leave me out of your categories

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AAB posted:

really looking forward to more knockoff skins like

Thunder Hammer Guy
Sprint Man
The Human Robot
Slurp Dude
Fire Fister
Ms Constructo
The Fort-en-ator

The Gauntletor

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's one of the few games that I've found fits in really nicely with having a young kid. I can squeeze in a game or two, never worry about having to save, and if needed I can turn it off at any moment without any impact. Also PUBG is depressingly ugly and bland looking. I know that's why I started playing this over PUBG when I wanted to try a Battle Royale game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In my headcanon Viva Piñata exist somewhere in Fortnite universe (maybe in a alternate dimension)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPPbVnDoFE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can't lie, if season 4 is superhero themed that's pretty lame, imo.

I've never been that big into them :shrug:

Although if level 100 battle pass is like a gigantic Hulk outfit, like 3x the size of a normal player, I could be into that.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

AAB posted:

really looking forward to more knockoff skins like

Thunder Hammer Guy
Sprint Man
The Human Robot
Slurp Dude
Fire Fister
Ms Constructo
The Fort-en-ator

Give me Captain Epics' Fortainium Shield back bling.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Asnorban posted:

It's one of the few games that I've found fits in really nicely with having a young kid. I can squeeze in a game or two, never worry about having to save, and if needed I can turn it off at any moment without any impact. Also PUBG is depressingly ugly and bland looking. I know that's why I started playing this over PUBG when I wanted to try a Battle Royale game.

I explained this in the Switch thread, but for me it boils down to this:

Much of PUBG is spent looting hideous environments for low reward. Then you spend an assload of time putting red dots on guns and trading friends for the correct ammo type. PUBG is very time consuming and not often rewarding. It is a hell of a rush though.

Fortnite provides similar excitement without the jank, the inventory management, and depressingly long looting cycle that plagues the first 20 minutes of a PUBG round.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wouldn't call it hideous unless your PC can't handle high graphics. Agreed with everything else, though there have been some good patches lately. I'm super excited for the 4x4 map as well in there.

Curious if/how many streamers are going to jump back to PUBG, seeing as it eliminates both marathon running and low loot amount.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm not on PC, but even with a One X, 4k, and HDR the game is kind of ugly. It's more to do with the color palette than the visual fidelity. Brown everywhere.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah I like pubg but visually it's aggressively artless

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The animation in PUBG is janky as gently caress too. The art direction and animation fidelity in Fortnite is lightyears better than PUBG.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

teagone posted:

The animation in PUBG is janky as gently caress too. The art direction and animation fidelity in Fortnite is lightyears better than PUBG.

I agree, Fortnite is definitely way better looking.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

me, posting

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Manky posted:

Yeah I like pubg but visually it's aggressively artless

This. The graphics are competent. The art style is nonexistent.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Who wants to get all kinds of gay with me

Buddhastic

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So is the meteor thing just not live on ps4 yet? Or entirely arbitrary if it'll even happen? I've yet to see any sign of them. I have seen/heard the emergency alert TV stuff though.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Coolness Averted posted:

So is the meteor thing just not live on ps4 yet? Or entirely arbitrary if it'll even happen? I've yet to see any sign of them. I have seen/heard the emergency alert TV stuff though.

Totally random, if you look at replays of your games they probably happened somewhere

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Fortnite is like 100 player Saints Row and I am 100% down with that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
gently caress me am I ever bad at this, I played a little bit like the first week it came out and then didn't touch it again until yesterday and now everyone is some kind of fort savant

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

prom candy posted:

gently caress me am I ever bad at this, I played a little bit like the first week it came out and then didn't touch it again until yesterday and now everyone is some kind of fort savant

Are you on pc? Get those keybinds.

Are you on console? Play squads cause solo tosses you in with the pc players.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Meteors are fun in a random bullshit kinda way. Had one take out the tree me and my squad were hiding behind last night spying on the last squad in the circle. They immediately spotted us completely unexposed and wrecked us.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Mr Hootington posted:

Isn’t that opt in / opt out?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mr Hootington posted:

Are you on pc? Get those keybinds.

PC. what are the best keybinds? i'm using z/x/c for wall/floor/ramp

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prom candy posted:

Which ever you are comfortable with. Maybe just not the default F1-F5, too far to reach for how often you'll be pressing them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Asnorban posted:

Isn’t that opt in / opt out?

Is it? I need to do this.

prom candy posted:

Beats me. Im console. Whatwver is comfortable.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 28, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Is it? I need to do this.

Beats me. Im console. Whatwver is comfortable.

I believe doing any kind of crossplay puts you into the PC servers. Nothing else, afaik. To clarify: if you're playing on mobile for some reason, and squad up with console, you'll still be stuffed i to PC servers. Can't opt in or out.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

prom candy posted:

If you have extra buttons on your mouse experiment with putting some building slots on that. I have wall on Q and everything else on my mouse.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just hosed around a bit, trying wall on Q, ramp on F, floor and roof on thumb buttons, mwheel up for main weapon, mwheel down for secondary, and click mwheel for switching pickaxe. I'm still bad but at least I can build stuff now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Seditiar posted:

I believe doing any kind of crossplay puts you into the PC servers. Nothing else, afaik. To clarify: if you're playing on mobile for some reason, and squad up with console, you'll still be stuffed i to PC servers. Can't opt in or out.

On console it does list in the corner what matchmaker pools you're in (region and platform) and at least has wording like you could opt in to bad ping and getting stomped if that was your thing.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I don't think crossplay on console puts you in a normal pc game, I'm pretty sure crossplay is it's own set of servers because I've played a decent number of games with 3 ps4 players and one on pc and it wasn't any more difficult than a normal ps4 game.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Pc servers are opt in on console, unless one person in your team(a friend, not random fill) is on pc. It probably won't feel much different to most. There are a lot of lovely players on pc, so don't let it scare you.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yay, after starting this last week and getting the battle pass, I managed to get to level 51 and thus have the Funbux to buy the battle pass for season 4.

Did play a lot of the 50v50, just to get the location challenges done without being shot at...

Speaking of 50v50, your team loves it when you build a wall in that tunnel from Tomato town so you can get those 2 chests without competition.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Lol like a series of walls? Some kind of maze would be childish and funny

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Finally got John Wick :whatup:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

el B posted:

Lol like a series of walls? Some kind of maze would be childish and funny

I only did 2 to block off the entrance...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm starting to get a pavlovian anger reaction from seeing the loving john wick skin

it seems like nearly every game i drop somewhere and then immediately get owned by a john wick with MLG skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm starting to get a pavlovian anger reaction from seeing the loving john wick skin

it seems like nearly every game i drop somewhere and then immediately get owned by a john wick with MLG skills

On the other hand, when I play John Wick I get to give others the satisfaction of killing me