Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Does it save all my watch settings if I do a re-pair? Don’t think I’ve ever done that before and it would be a colossal pain in the dick to redo all my settings again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Does it save all my watch settings if I do a re-pair? Don’t think I’ve ever done that before and it would be a colossal pain in the dick to redo all my settings again.

You can do a backup to your phone.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The last few days, my s3 LTE hasn't charged to full overnight. The first couple nights it only charged to 97, so I rebooted it, and it charged to 98 last night. It's always charged to 100 before this. Anyone else notice this not necessarily gamebreaking but slightly off-putting issue?

edit : sweet. 93 percent when i woke up this morning.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 24, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

The last few days, my s3 LTE hasn't charged to full overnight. The first couple nights it only charged to 97, so I rebooted it, and it charged to 98 last night. It's always charged to 100 before this. Anyone else notice this not necessarily gamebreaking but slightly off-putting issue?

Yeah I mentioned it earlier in the thread but no one said anything :shrug:

It seems to fix it self in a few days though so I dunno what it would be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had the same thing happen a few nights in a row last week. It wouldn’t get above 95. After a couple reboots, it hasn’t done it since. :iiam:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got a Runkeeper problem on my Series 3 Apple Watch. Frequently throughout the day I'll open up my iPhone and find that Runkeeper is currently using my location, despite having not opened it or having it active on the iPhone. Checking the watch, it will be currently active, despite having not opened it. This is draining my iPhone battery.

Last night at the gym, where I only use Runkeeper at the very end of my workout to log treadmill runs, I came to the locker room to find the watch completely drained from 55% when I arrived.

I guess the obvious solution is to delete Runkeeper from the Apple Watch but I use it once or twice weekly to log outside runs. Anyone experience this kind of behavior?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Fly Ricky posted:

I've got a Runkeeper problem on my Series 3 Apple Watch. Frequently throughout the day I'll open up my iPhone and find that Runkeeper is currently using my location, despite having not opened it or having it active on the iPhone. Checking the watch, it will be currently active, despite having not opened it. This is draining my iPhone battery.

Last night at the gym, where I only use Runkeeper at the very end of my workout to log treadmill runs, I came to the locker room to find the watch completely drained from 55% when I arrived.

I guess the obvious solution is to delete Runkeeper from the Apple Watch but I use it once or twice weekly to log outside runs. Anyone experience this kind of behavior?

I sort of have this on my Series 2. Runkeeper seems to stay active on the phone with the 'using your location' bar after a workout and won't clear till I kill it in task manager. Once it's dead it's dead though; I don't seem to have the recurrence.

One thing I have noticed with Runkeeper is that sync from the watch to the app (and the runkeeper website I guess) often happens quite a bit after the workout, so perhaps the recurrences are it trying to sync the workout up?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Major Ryan posted:

I sort of have this on my Series 2. Runkeeper seems to stay active on the phone with the 'using your location' bar after a workout and won't clear till I kill it in task manager. Once it's dead it's dead though; I don't seem to have the recurrence.

Yeah, this is what is so annoying and perplexing to me. It's not even showing up in my task manager; I have to manually open the app and close it from the task manager to stop it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

Yup, one of the things I disliked about RunKeeper. I had the same thing happen to me constantly.

You should look into iSmoothRun. It's great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yup, one of the things I disliked about RunKeeper. I had the same thing happen to me constantly.

You should look into iSmoothRun. It's great.

Many thanks. Downloading now, looks like it syncs to Runkeeper.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Since I updated my phone to iOS 11.3.1 my watch does not seem to display contact names in messages. Any suggestions?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bought iSmoothRun after people were posting about it and took it for a spin. Very clean and simple watch UI which means it opens drat near instantly. Plenty of customization options, syncs/exports to runkeeper (would like auto sync but hey it’s there at least). Didn’t notice any music controls while the app is running but the most I do is change the volume so whatever. Anyways, very clean and good app. Didn’t have to fight with it as I generally did with runkeeper. Would use again A++.

Unrelated to the app itself, I can’t stop geeking out about how loving AWESOME it is to run with just the watch and AirPods. Its magical not having to carry/strap on anything to be able to track your jog and listen to music or take calls / send texts. I loving love this stupid watch even though the data plan for it is ridiculous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FWIW, it does auto sync/export if you do a watch + phone run. But I hear ya. I wish it would auto sync the watch only runs as well.

One thing I’ve noticed is that during the export, you can create a custom title for the run. I have mine set to “LCTN ACTVT” which should translate into something like “Sacramento Run,” but it can’t always pull a location for some reason. So half of my runs are titled “Run” when it exports to Strava. I can manually edit the location tag, but that gets annoying having to do it every time.

Oh yeah, under the settings there’s an option to enter your VO2max. I have no idea why it can’t just read the last entry from Apple health. Makes no sense. Same with max HR to determine your HR zones. That has to be entered manually as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a phone app, but look up Healthfit for a zillion export options. It takes any workout saved to health.app and turns it into .fit format and uploads it to one of a dozen different services.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also while checking the run on Runkeeper I noticed they now have a “fix GPS” option that attempts to smooth out your recorded route instead of having the jagged mess a watch only run tends to get you.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I mentioned it earlier in the thread but no one said anything :shrug:

It seems to fix it self in a few days though so I dunno what it would be.

The morning after I posted I woke up and it was at 93 percent. I factory reset the watch and restored the backup, and it's been charging to 100 ever since. shrug.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I recently bought a Fitbit Versa, and it’s okay, but not quite as useful or accurate in tracking things like sleep and heart rate as I’d like. I’d also like something a bit more versatile.

How does an S3 Apple Watch work as a fitness and sleep tracker? I’m not a particularly active person (lol goons) but I plan to get back into regular exercise very soon. Most of my exercise is outdoor jogging and walking/hiking. Does the Apple Watch do a decent job of tracking steps and distance? How about heart rate?

One of the reasons I was excited about the Fitbit was the sleep tracking feature, but it’s been really inaccurate for me. Maybe I’m just a restless sleeper, but it routinely tells me I’ve slept for 1-4 hours after a solid 7 or 8 hour sleep. I know the Apple Watch doesn’t come with a sleep tracker installed, but apparently there are some decent apps out there. Any recommendations?

Finally, I’m kind of on the fence about the size. I’m a short guy with little baby wrists, so normally I’d be more attracted to the 38 mm option, but improved battery life and screen resolution are pretty big selling points for the 42 mm. Anyone here with small wrists and a 42 mm? Does it look or feel comically big on your wrists? I’ll go to an Apple store and try them both out myself before making a purchase, but I assume some people here had the same issue.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

RoboCop 3 posted:

I recently bought a Fitbit Versa, and it’s okay, but not quite as useful or accurate in tracking things like sleep and heart rate as I’d like. I’d also like something a bit more versatile.

How does an S3 Apple Watch work as a fitness and sleep tracker? I’m not a particularly active person (lol goons) but I plan to get back into regular exercise very soon. Most of my exercise is outdoor jogging and walking/hiking. Does the Apple Watch do a decent job of tracking steps and distance? How about heart rate?

One of the reasons I was excited about the Fitbit was the sleep tracking feature, but it’s been really inaccurate for me. Maybe I’m just a restless sleeper, but it routinely tells me I’ve slept for 1-4 hours after a solid 7 or 8 hour sleep. I know the Apple Watch doesn’t come with a sleep tracker installed, but apparently there are some decent apps out there. Any recommendations?

Finally, I’m kind of on the fence about the size. I’m a short guy with little baby wrists, so normally I’d be more attracted to the 38 mm option, but improved battery life and screen resolution are pretty big selling points for the 42 mm. Anyone here with small wrists and a 42 mm? Does it look or feel comically big on your wrists? I’ll go to an Apple store and try them both out myself before making a purchase, but I assume some people here had the same issue.

The activity rings are oddly motivating once you get a streak going of closing them. It’s great at distance tracking and heart rate, there are various sleep apps (I use Sleep++), and you also get the added functionality of various apps (being able to open my garage or use my watch as my car’s key fob is unnecessary but so satisfying) and notifications that work seamlessly with your iPhone. I also think it’s the most stylish smart watch; I personally went with the 42mm space black version.

I’d just go and try on both sizes and see what you like. My wife has the 38mm and I haven’t noticed her battery life to be any worse really - they both can go 2 days (unless I’m on LTE a lot) but I still just pop it on the charger for 30-40 min each night while I’m getting ready for bed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife traded her Fitbit in for the watch when the 3 came out, says she would never go back.

Don't get the watch expecting perfect accuracy, I find the heart rate tracking and step counting pretty inaccurate, mostly when doing exercises. My chest strap and foot pod are way better for that. But I don't consider this a deal breaker, I just wanted ballpark numbers and don't really care if it reads 5,000 steps a day when I really did 5,500.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

comper posted:

My wife has the 38mm and I haven’t noticed her battery life to be any worse really - they both can go 2 days (unless I’m on LTE a lot) but I still just pop it on the charger for 30-40 min each night while I’m getting ready for bed.
Battery life is the one thing that would concern me most about the 38 mm since I’d like to use it as a sleep tracker. I plan to recharge it exactly as you do, by putting it on a charger while I get ready for work for 30-40 minutes, and maybe keeping a spare charger at work to top it off if needed. Hearing that the 38mm battery life isn’t substantially different than that of the 42 mm makes me much less worried about possibly choosing the 38mm. I’m still open to getting the 42mm, but I’ll have to hit up the Apple Store and see them in person this weekend.

xzzy posted:

Don't get the watch expecting perfect accuracy, I find the heart rate tracking and step counting pretty inaccurate, mostly when doing exercises. My chest strap and foot pod are way better for that. But I don't consider this a deal breaker, I just wanted ballpark numbers and don't really care if it reads 5,000 steps a day when I really did 5,500.
Yeah, I’m not expecting perfect accuracy. The Versa I’m currently using will do things like add hundreds of steps during my drive to work and underestimate my sleep times by 3 to 7 hours regularly. If I can get heart rate, sleep, and step counts accurate to within about 10%, I’ll be happy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I charge my 38mm like every second day for an hour at my desk.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The watch charges super quick so it's not really a big deal. I went from 35% to 75% in the 15 mins it took me to shower this morning.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I charge my watch for 30 minutes when I take a shower. Usually goes from around 30~ to 80+%.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I store my watch in my butt and slip the charging puck in there at supper.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

That all sounds great! I shouldn’t have any problems with the battery life, then.

The only other significant advantage the 42mm has over the 38mm is screen resolution. DPI is the exact same on both, so things on screen should look just as sharp at the same distance. Is there anyone with the 42mm that finds themselves really appreciating the extra pixels? Anyone with the 38mm wishing they had that extra space? I suspect that in practice it doesn’t make much of a difference unless you have bad eyesight and need larger text.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

In my experience, if you do any workouts at all, especially ones requiring GPS, there is no way the 3 lasts 2 full days without a charge. I usually end the day with anything between 5 and 40% left. I work out just about every day, either lifting, running, or playing hockey. The battery is super disappointing for a watch, and probably the one thing that I actively dislike about it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 27, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't used a 38mm for any length of time but by eyeballing my wife's watch and comparing to my 42mm, I can't see any difference in screen usability between the two.

Choose the one that fits best. Also note that wrist bands come in two lengths, the one in the box will be the shorter version but if you're trying them on in the Apple store they're probably fitted with longer bands. So make sure to ask about that.

And yes, if I do no workouts my watch will lose about 35% of its charge per 24 hours. If I track a workout it'll lose 60% or more.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I can see how the battery life would be disappointing, especially if you are a very active person and workout a lot. It’s the main weakness of the Apple Watch from my perspective. For me, someone who isn’t an avid exerciser and doesn’t plan on using the LTE features very much, I think it will be something I can work around for now. I’m not trying to get swole here, I’m just trying to reduce my chances of becoming a gross, fat old man and dying before 60.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I originally bought the 38mm because I have tiny wrists. I then saw a 42mm, tried it on, and traded up. The 42mm isn’t huge and just seemed to fit better. Plus it’s nice having the larger screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RoboCop 3 posted:

That all sounds great! I shouldn’t have any problems with the battery life, then.

The only other significant advantage the 42mm has over the 38mm is screen resolution. DPI is the exact same on both, so things on screen should look just as sharp at the same distance. Is there anyone with the 42mm that finds themselves really appreciating the extra pixels? Anyone with the 38mm wishing they had that extra space? I suspect that in practice it doesn’t make much of a difference unless you have bad eyesight and need larger text.

I’m happy with the 42mm. Fits the size of my wrist just fine.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

In my experience, if you do any workouts at all, especially ones requiring GPS, there is no way the 3 lasts 2 full days without a charge. I usually end the day with anything between 5 and 40% left. I work out just about every day, either lifting, running, or playing hockey. The battery is super disappointing for a watch, and probably the one thing that I actively dislike about it.

I like your username, are you from the Detroit area?
I use mine on cellular during hockey games at Troy Sports Center and I usually only lose about 10-15% during that hour. I close my rings every day so I’m putting a bare minimum of 30 minutes of workout activity on it per day and I usually end the day with 55-65% so idk, but again, I still top it off every night because there’s no reason for me not to.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

comper posted:

I like your username, are you from the Detroit area?
I use mine on cellular during hockey games at Troy Sports Center and I usually only lose about 10-15% during that hour. I close my rings every day so I’m putting a bare minimum of 30 minutes of workout activity on it per day and I usually end the day with 55-65% so idk, but again, I still top it off every night because there’s no reason for me not to.

Ohio, actually! Grew up watching hockey, but the closest teams were Detroit or Pittsburgh. But gently caress Pittsburgh. I am in California now, however.

Check out the app Hockey Tracker. It tracks stuff like shift lengths, max speed, distance skated. You can totally use most of the useful features without the $20/year subscription as well.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Last question before I make a purchase: any issues with the space black stainless steel finish? Is it any more prone to scratches or blemishes than the other SS case types? I know SS is heavier than aluminum, but I like the look better and the sapphire screen is nice, too.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RoboCop 3 posted:

Last question before I make a purchase: any issues with the space black stainless steel finish? Is it any more prone to scratches or blemishes than the other SS case types? I know SS is heavier than aluminum, but I like the look better and the sapphire screen is nice, too.

Much much less prone, the tDLC coating is actually harder than the sapphire screen. It’s the best Apple Watch you can get.
It is also the same color as the sapphire screen, so it all just blends in and looks awesome.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

After looking at both sizes in person, I was less surprised by how large the 42mm is and way more surprised by how small the 38mm is. They both felt pretty good, and I was having a really hard time making a decision. I liked the larger display on the 42mm, but the 38 felt "cooler" to me. I just like tiny gadgets. After some advice from the nice Apple Store person, I went with the 42mm. I can always swap it for a 38mm within 14 days. I think it actually looks pretty decent on my wrist.

Here it is next to my Fitbit Versa, which kind of feels like a toy now, to be honest.

The Fitbit actually feels more awkward on my wrist than the 42mm AW, which I was not expecting at all.

This thing is really neat. It feels nice. It's pretty. Thank you for helping me out, Apple Watch thread! :love:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

RoboCop 3 posted:

After looking at both sizes in person, I was less surprised by how large the 42mm is and way more surprised by how small the 38mm is. They both felt pretty good, and I was having a really hard time making a decision. I liked the larger display on the 42mm, but the 38 felt "cooler" to me. I just like tiny gadgets. After some advice from the nice Apple Store person, I went with the 42mm. I can always swap it for a 38mm within 14 days. I think it actually looks pretty decent on my wrist.

Here it is next to my Fitbit Versa, which kind of feels like a toy now, to be honest.

The Fitbit actually feels more awkward on my wrist than the 42mm AW, which I was not expecting at all.

This thing is really neat. It feels nice. It's pretty. Thank you for helping me out, Apple Watch thread! :love:

Thanks for the side-by-side, I was kinda hemming and hawing towards a versa, but the AW looks way better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I knew the Versa looked wide, but :wtc:.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

The difference in quality really is pretty striking.

:pwn:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The 42 looks way bigger in photos too. I’ve got skinny wrists and the 38 still looks so dainty in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Versa looks like a 1950's television.